• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
One real benefit for 2013 is if the ARU goes ahead with their numerous national Gold Squads culminating in a playoff using a conference style system with finals etc in Easter next year. This will give most of the identified talent a real chance to show their hard work in the off season as well as allow school selectors to see what is available in 2013 (rather than using 2012 'names').

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^^ That might penalise the Joeys boys. IIRC they do not release their boys (or maybe just the boarders that are not released) for JGS/NGS training.

gpsoldboy

Chris McKivat (8)
so to create some discussion...and get in early..

GPS 1sts XV 2013 (before GPS & Manu selection politics)
1. Matt Sandell (Joeys)
2. Sam Cater (Shore)
3. Doug Streeter (Shore)
4. Paddy O’Brien (Joeys)
5. Lachie Cannell (Newington)
6. Jum Woodhill (Shore)
7. David Morris (Newington) - captain
8. Angus Crichton (Scots)
9. Pat Curtain (Joeys)
10. Joey Lussick (New) / Jack Clancy (Shore) - both great plus Deegan (Joeys)
11. Oscar Pople (Newington); Bill Freeman / Sam Mete (View)
12. Ben Starkey (Scots)
13. Pat Curtain (Joeys)
14. Andrew Kellaway (Scots)
15. Nic Clancy (Shore)

Some other Scots players to keep an eye on for GPS selection next year are Hamish Dunbar at 7 and Hamish Murray at 6 and also Ben Starkey at 10.

Shame on you GS.. not one King's player!! Yr 11 King's reps from 2012 returning next year are:
7. Jack McCalman - NSW Schools and Australia A
10. Corey Tulloch - NSW Schools
12. Will Davies - NSW Schools
14. Harry Jones (?) - NSW Schools and Australian Schoolboys

In addition to this are:

1. Lucas Bateman - JGS
4/5. Ben Stacy - JGS
9. Rory Davis - NGS

There are some good players listed here CTPE and some will get GPS 1sts selection in 2013. I was very impressed with Lucas Bateman's work in the scrums when he came on against Scots. He looks as if he has a terrific technique. He played at 3 against us but you have him down at 1. Which side does he prefer and has he played any reps before?

T

thereturnofsarge

I have heard from the joeys coaching staff that Ethan Matthews the prop from 2xv who made gps 3rds this year will be returning next year on pathways. What a great outcome for joeys in 2013

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
What's "pathways"? If you don't mind me asking.

Pathways, is a reference to the ability to spread your HSC involvement over 2 years (ie 3 subjects per year). The NSW Board of Studies formulated this avenue with particular consideration to elite junior athletes who represent their country that may be taken away from their HSC years due to training and competition requirements.

Elite Swimmers (and waterpolo players) for example often miss 50-65 school days in one year for these reasons. This equates to one whole term in their final year! and is on top of getting up for a 2hr session at 4.30am and backing up again at 5.30pm every school day and saturday mornings for 50 weeks a year.

I doubt the relevancy of Pathways for rugby players (along with rowers) given their much reduced training and competition program (unless of course you are wanting to get on a UK tour or its part of your 'contract').

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Cheers. Was that by matter of need or is he that good? I unfortunately don't have the best eye to track the work of the front-row.
Jono joined Kings this year from Hunter. In 2011 he was in NSW U15s having played for NSW Country. He does a lot of good work around the lineout and R&Ms and could be typified as your "traditional/classical style of hooker". After being in the JGS (2011/12) he was exposed to Kings' superb infrastructure and the "2 came together". In 2012 he started in the 16s but soon was asked to trial in the Opens and then played all comp games in the 1sts (forcing the incumbent to the 2nds).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty of good forwards coming up from the U16 level (some already have a season of Opens under their belt), particularly in the 6-8 area. Some of these can double as a 4/5 although they lack the real bopper/enforcer capability. Front row should be OK with Bowditch, Fifita and Fotokava. 4/5 may be a slight weakness, but wait to see what off season enrolments occur.

Finally, congratulations to the 25 GPS boys who are representing their schools and clubs in the Aust U16s Champs in October. I will watch with interest their progress through the specific G&G blog on this tournament.
Good luck to the following players and I wish them well for an enjoyable tournament:

Sydney U16 Team
Jersey Player School Assoc Club Team District
2 Sam Cater Shore/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
3 Tierney Glasson Joeys/GPS, Hillview/Eastwood
4 Toby Rudolf Scots/GPS, Randwick/Southern Districts
5 Paddy Olver Shore/GPS, Lane Cove/Gordon (retired injured)
6 Jum Woodhill Shore/GPS, Chatswood/Gordon
7 Conor Menzies, Riverview/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
10 Jack Clancy, Shore/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
12 Tom Molloy, Riverview/GPS, Lane Cove/Gordon (retired injured)
15 Nic Clancy, Shore/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
16 Evan Pritchard, Riverview/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
19 George Lehmann, Kings/GPS, Beecrft-Cherrybrook/Eastwood
21 Hugh Taylor, - Kings/GPS, Beecrft-Cherrybrook/Eastwood
22 Jack Hayson, Riverview/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs

NSW Schools U16 Team
Jersey Player School Assoc Club Team District
2 Hosea Fotukava Riverview/GPS, Chatswood/Gordon
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington/GPS, -/-
5 Angus Crichton Scots/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
9 Harry Emery, Shore/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
11 Mason Cohen, Joeys/GPS, Chatswood/Gordon
12 Bill Freeman, Riverview/GPS, Mosman/Northern Suburbs
14 Henry Hutchinson, Riverview/GPS, Lindfield/Gordon
15 James Kane, Kings/GPS, Chatswood/Gordon
16 Jono Bourke, Kings/GPS, Waratahs/Hunter
18 Jack Bowditch, Riverview/GPS, Chatswood/Gordon
19 David Ballantyne, Kings/GPS, Hawkesbury Valley/Penrith
23 Jack McGregor, Riverview/GPS, Lindfield/Gordon

That is the bow wave of Under 16 talent that I was referring to in my above observation on U16's. Not that they will all displace next years Y12's currently in 1's, 2's and 3's around the GPS kingdom, as others have rightly pointed out.

footychixbeers

Stan Wickham (3)
2013 and 2014 will be strong years for Riverview as their once dominant (and undefeated since year 5) 16's cohort will regroup and play together.

Riverview 1st XV 2013 Predictions

1. Nathan kelly (1sts)
2. Evan Pritchard (16As/2nds/1sts)
3. Hosea Fotukava (1sts)
4. Beau Pederson (16As/2nds)
5. Jack Bowditch (2nds)
6. Lincoln Whiteley (16As/2nds)
7. Conor Menzies (2nds)
8. Ben Hunt (1sts)
9. Alex Barker (3rds)
10. Mike Kennedy (1sts)
11. Alex Jalloh (14As)
12. Henry Hutchison (15As)
13. Tom Molloy (1sts)
14. Sam Mete (1sts)
15. Bill Freeman (1sts)

Riverview 2nd XV 2013 Predictions

1. Louis Hugh-Jones (16As)
2. Pat Weston (16As)
3. Tom Aney (3rds)
4. Tom Spill (3rds)
5. Nick Meagher (3rds)
6. Angus Higgins (3rds)
7. Brendan Murray (4ths)
8. Dan Kilpatrick (16As)
9. Josh Mackaness (5ths)
10. Jack McGreggor (15As)/Jim Lance (3rds)
11. Nick Falvey (3rds)
12. Charlie McKay (2nds)
13. Mitch Butler (2nds)
14. Sam McCaffrey (4ths)
15. Louis Anderson (16As)

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
Shore 1st XV
Potential Shore 1st XV 2013

1. Matt Towart?
2. Sam Cater
3. Doug Streeter
4. Paddy Olver
5. Jum Woodhill
6. Angus Cooke
7. Harry Hodge?
8. Nathan Lucas
9. Harry Emery
10. Jack Clancy
11. Will Connelly
12. Toby Cooke?
13. Charlie King
14. Charlie Oldham
15. Nic Clancy

4. Paddy Olver - i think will most likely be picked by James Winton who played 1st XV for 5 games this year to be replaced by the return of injuries.
7. Harry Hodge - i believe is a brilliant player, works extremely hard and i think will get that 7 spot
12. Toby Cooke - will not play 1st XV, i dont think he is good enough despite playing 16As i think it could be Fred Eldridge who was unlucky to play 5th XV this year, he was selected to play 16As but due to injury missed the season, so i think he is someone to look out for.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pathways, is a reference to the ability to spread your HSC involvement over 2 years (ie 3 subjects per year). The NSW Board of Studies formulated this avenue with particular consideration to elite junior athletes who represent their country that may be taken away from their HSC years due to training and competition requirements.

Elite Swimmers (and waterpolo players) for example often miss 50-65 school days in one year for these reasons. This equates to one whole term in their final year! and is on top of getting up for a 2hr session at 4.30am and backing up again at 5.30pm every school day and saturday mornings for 50 weeks a year.

I doubt the relevancy of Pathways for rugby players (along with rowers) given their much reduced training and competition program (unless of course you are wanting to get on a UK tour or its part of your 'contract').

But they'd be too old to play Schoolboys wouldn't they?

Loyd Hemmer

Frank Row (1)
My Scots 1XV 2013
1. Aidan Brown/Tom Clever
2. Jamine Crowsly
3. Iselia Fa/Tom Clever
4. Max Cowley/Tom Riddley
5. Toby Ruldof/Hammish Murray
6. Hammish Dunbar/Hammish Murray
7. Olly Camp (c)
8. Angus Chrieton
9. Mitchel Short
10. Jack Maddocks/Ben Starkey
11. Guy Porter/Jamie Mason
12. Ben Starkey/Max Champion/Guy Porter (they only play if ben plays 10)
13. Harrison Muller/Simon Johnston
14. Jackson Dowling/Christan Yassmin
15. Andrew Kellaway

2nd XV

1.Tom Cleaver/Aidan Brown
2. Max Mansfield/Will Adams
3. Andy Leatham/
4. Max Cowly/Tom Riddley
5. Hammish Murray/Toby Ruldof
6. Taylor Dear/Tom Riddley
7. Ben Jevons-Fellows
8. George Carrol
9. Sam Horwitz/Jordy Lee/Callurm Searle
10. Sam Horwitz? (I know his brother played there)
11. Christan Yassmin
12. Max Champion
13. Simon Johnston
14. Harry Licence
15. Guy Porter/Jamie Mason

Any 16s players that would get a shot a 1st? Anyone left out? I think its a pretty decent squad.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
My Scots 1XV 2013
1. Aidan Brown/Tom Clever
2. Jamine Crowsly
3. Iselia Fa/Tom Clever
4. Max Cowley/Tom Riddley
5. Toby Ruldof/Hammish Murray
6. Hammish Dunbar/Hammish Murray
7. Olly Camp (c)
8. Angus Chrieton
9. Mitchel Short
10. Jack Maddocks/Ben Starkey
11. Guy Porter/Jamie Mason
12. Ben Starkey/Max Champion/Guy Porter (they only play if ben plays 10)
13. Harrison Muller/Simon Johnston
14. Jackson Dowling/Christan Yassmin
15. Andrew Kellaway

2nd XV

1.Tom Cleaver/Aidan Brown
2. Max Mansfield/Will Adams
3. Andy Leatham/
4. Max Cowly/Tom Riddley
5. Hammish Murray/Toby Ruldof
6. Taylor Dear/Tom Riddley
7. Ben Jevons-Fellows
8. George Carrol
9. Sam Horwitz/Jordy Lee/Callurm Searle
10. Sam Horwitz? (I know his brother played there)
11. Christan Yassmin
12. Max Champion
13. Simon Johnston
14. Harry Licence
15. Guy Porter/Jamie Mason

Any 16s players that would get a shot a 1st? Anyone left out? I think its a pretty decent squad.

Hey Lloyd - I have asked a couple of times about Colby Hawkins ( a former NSW Country 2nd rower ) - he's at Scots, is he on the radar anywhere at the moment?

Thanks, Wreckless

S

Sydneybra

2013 and 2014 will be strong years for Riverview as their once dominant (and undefeated since year 5) 16's cohort will regroup and play together.

Riverview 1st XV 2013 Predictions

1. Nathan kelly (1sts)
2. Evan Pritchard (16As/2nds/1sts)
3. Hosea Fotukava (1sts)
4. Beau Pederson (16As/2nds)
5. Jack Bowditch (2nds)
6. Lincoln Whiteley (16As/2nds)
7. Conor Menzies (2nds)
8. Ben Hunt (1sts)
9. Alex Barker (3rds)
10. Mike Kennedy (1sts)
11. Alex Jalloh (14As)
12. Henry Hutchison (15As)
13. Tom Molloy (1sts)
14. Sam Mete (1sts)
15. Bill Freeman (1sts)

Riverview 2nd XV 2013 Predictions

1. Louis Hugh-Jones (16As)
2. Pat Weston (16As)
3. Tom Aney (3rds)
4. Tom Spill (3rds)
5. Nick Meagher (3rds)
6. Angus Higgins (3rds)
7. Brendan Murray (4ths)
8. Dan Kilpatrick (16As)
9. Josh Mackaness (5ths)
10. Jack McGreggor (15As)/Jim Lance (3rds)
11. Nick Falvey (3rds)
12. Charlie McKay (2nds)
13. Mitch Butler (2nds)
14. Sam McCaffrey (4ths)
15. Louis Anderson (16As)

Hahahahah watching Alex in the 14A's game nearly loosing it for them against New with various missed tackled and ineffective running that lost his team the ball. A small joke of you referencing him to playing opens next year

Loyd Hemmer

Frank Row (1)
Hey Lloyd - I have asked a couple of times about Colby Hawkins ( a former NSW Country 2nd rower ) - he's at Scots, is he on the radar anywhere at the moment?

Thanks, Wreckless
Colby has had a string of injuries: a stress fracture and shin splints which currently has him playing in the 4ths division.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
There are some good players listed here CTPE and some will get GPS 1sts selection in 2013. I was very impressed with Lucas Bateman's work in the scrums when he came on against Scots. He looks as if he has a terrific technique. He played at 3 against us but you have him down at 1. Which side does he prefer and has he played any reps before?

He started the season at loose head but shifted to tight head after a couple of games to cover an injured player and ended up playing the rest of the season at 3 in both the firsts and seconds. I think he prefers to play at 1 but did a very good job at 3 so his versatility up front is a bonus. He's certainly considered to be one of the better young scrummaging props around at the moment and has been in the Junior Gold Program for the last two years and was selected at 1 in the 2010/11 Sydney Junior Gold Merit team. He's a similar player to Matt Sandell in that he has a very high work rate for a prop and they'd make a good combination in any rep team.

Status
Not open for further replies.