• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilbert15

CTPE,,,you seem to know this boy VERY well, relation maybe, or, looking at your avatar, just an obsession with front rowers!

G

gilbert15

Jono joined Kings this year from Hunter. In 2011 he was in NSW U15s having played for NSW Country. He does a lot of good work around the lineout and R&Ms and could be typified as your "traditional/classical style of hooker". After being in the JGS (2011/12) he was exposed to Kings' superb infrastructure and the "2 came together". In 2012 he started in the 16s but soon was asked to trial in the Opens and then played all comp games in the 1sts (forcing the incumbent to the 2nds).

Now come on, what school would drop a long-term, good servant of the game, for a kid who just started in yr10, denying the incumbent any chance of finishing his school rugby in the 1sts?

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
gee, I don't have enough fingers on both hands for this in the current school environment ....all sarcasm accepted Gilbert15.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE,,,you seem to know this boy VERY well, relation maybe, or, looking at your avatar, just an obsession with front rowers!
Just an observer of rugby talent dear Gilbert with some knowledge about the boys playing in the sky blue and white and yes a keen follower of the dark arts of the front row.

P

Pawl

Shore 1st XV
7. Agree with your statement regarding Hodge - he should slot in well

4. Winton will find it hard to make the cut - he was lucky to play a few games in the 2nd XV this year IMO

12. This position was the most problematic for me - Shore lack a strong inside centre next year. However, Nathan Lucas (Lock/Back row), i believe, could assume this position. He had a stellar year this year in the 2nd XV and was hard-pressed not to make the 1st XV. He is a very strong ball runner and could well slot in to this position. Fred Eldridge, although quite sizeable, just hasn't got the pace and will struggle as a result.

tom morris

Frank Row (1)
mike kennedy for view. he is an incredible controller of the game and has pin point accuracy in his pass. Australian school boys material in my opinion

footyking

Stan Wickham (3)
7. Agree with your statement regarding Hodge - he should slot in well

4. Winton will find it hard to make the cut - he was lucky to play a few games in the 2nd XV this year IMO

12. This position was the most problematic for me - Shore lack a strong inside centre next year. However, Nathan Lucas (Lock/Back row), i believe, could assume this position. He had a stellar year this year in the 2nd XV and was hard-pressed not to make the 1st XV. He is a very strong ball runner and could well slot in to this position. Fred Eldridge, although quite sizeable, just hasn't got the pace and will struggle as a result.

4. Winton - i disagree with your opinion, respectfully. But with shores political views on selections of boys seeing as he will be in year 12 it will give him a large advantage over paddy olver, and he is also talented.

12. yes i think nathan can play here but then you are leaving a huge gap in the forward pack of shore that is already looking extremely strong with 3 even 4 players returning from last year and a few coming from seconds. Fred Eldridge is sizeable yes and does lack some speed, true, but i think if the school is able to develop his speed, everything else is fine for him, he has a massive left boot (i witnessed some kicking travelling a good 45m on the fly) and he is a solid defensive and offensive player.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Mr Footyking's quote;"massive left boot (i witnessed some kicking travelling a good 45m on the fly)" [thread #213] is an interesting observation. My observations of junior footy, including GPS, reveal that kicking is a lost art. Even in our senior ranks including SuperRugby, Australian kicking is disgraceful (accuracy, distance & purpose). Maybe it is the new balls which I doubt as the Kiwis and Boks can kick (refer to either Steyn or several Kiwis) who all can get real distance.

I remember in earlier years one or two GPS boys kicking drop kicks regularly over the posts from 1/2 way and near the sideline on their No1 ovals and place kicks from 45m out in front with their toe (less effective than current instep). Kick for touch would travel upto 75m (on the fly not field gain). I saw this at New and again at Kings over a 3 year period.

Around the same time we had Laurie Monaghan kick a winning goal for Sydney from similar position. More recently we have seen Beale and O'Connor do it for the Wallabies. So, why Mr Footyking do you think kicking a punt a "good 45m" is "massive"? To me it should be just "average" which isn't good enough for today's rugby player (or these pages)!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Said it before and will say it again. Our kicking is disgraceful considering that we have Aust Rules (and Soccer) kicking skills coaches available. We should be world leaders.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
Said it before and will say it again. Our kicking is disgraceful considering that we have Aust Rules (and Soccer) kicking skills coaches available. We should be world leaders.
Huge; I suspect the original comment was made by one our many student contributors. It is an indigestible that our current crop of players accept these poor standards. Indeed I support your comment in that I have not seen any specific kicking skills (30min sessions, 3 days a week x 10 wks) be taught at a GPS school for some years.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
As reported previously throughout G&G there are a number of rumours circulating for rugby in 2013. These are:
a) GPS going to 2 rounds
b) Aust U17 tournament in Easter / ARU Gold Squad tournament at Easter
c) conference style tournament in term 3 (played after GPS,CAS,ISA have finished their comps)

I have looked at a 2 round option for GPS and it looks pretty ugly for trials etc. (I assume Athletics could be relocated to Term 4).

GPS 2013-2 rnds.jpg

note: home team listed first

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Colby has had a string of injuries: a stress fracture and shin splints which currently has him playing in the 4ths division.

Thanks Lloyd - I should clarify! When I 'liked" your response I didn't mean I liked that Colby was injured :(, just liked hearing what was going on with him! That's a real shame for him - hope he can get right for 2013! Cheers, Wreckless

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
George,

There may be something good that comes out from the ASRU conference/think tank in Brisbane in the next couple of weeks.

Personally I can't see change happening too quickly, particularly if it is imposed from "on high".

History has shown that AAGPS will do what AAGPS believe is in AAGPS best interest.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
I agree Huge. I am only aware of SJRU, NSWJRU, ARJU along with the Qld guys and ARU. NSW Schools (including GPS etc), as always, will suit themselves! Also this type of planning takes more than a few months to get over the line (read at least 9-12mths). GPS will be finalising their calendar in Term 4 (2-3 months) for 2013!

The only real driver for the GPS schools are the respective Headmasters and their Old Boys unions.

Status
Not open for further replies.