• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This question came from TAS for the historians in our midst. Can you help?

"Jim, While there seems to be no mention of it on any AAGPS site on the net (including Wikipedia etc), I believe this may not in fact have been the first time a GPS 3rds comp ran - I"ve been told there might have been a 3rds comp about 50-60 years ago. Would you care to post a query on the green and gold thread for me please? Many thanks Tim Hughes"

There definitely was a thirds comp, I think it was in the 1960's but wouldn't be able to tell you if TAS participated. When Joeys won the comp last year they mentioned that it was a relief they had as they still couldn't find the shield from the last time they won it !

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The battle is with perception.
The worst injury I heard of in my son's age group in winter 2012 involved a boy who fell down the stairs at debating and broke his ankle.
Dr John Yeo says there is more risk of suffering a catastrophic spinal injury driving to the game than playing it.

Same wih Sports Parachuting. In the days BC, I indulged in high risk activities such as this.

More parachutists are injured on the drive to and from the drop zone than at the drop zone.

Same with Scuba Diving, hang gliding, skiing and caving.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
There definitely was a thirds comp, I think it was in the 1960's but wouldn't be able to tell you if TAS participated. When Joeys won the comp last year they mentioned that it was a relief they had as they still couldn't find the shield from the last time they won it !

Thank you r2. Have passed on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
yes, I also believe the two round comp is good. Schools having or developing periods of 'Super teams' will come and go as history has shown. After nearly ten years of junior rugby I do know that as Super teams enter comps then the standard across all the teams lifts. Shore in their ten comp games this season where trounced once, beaten three times and were in the hunt for the rest. Kings improved considerably as the season progressed. The 'school of hard knocks' taught these lads immeasurable skills this year. If you don't go in for the fight then you will never succeed.
Yes, and the charge of the light brigade was character building too (if you survived that is):)

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Random2 has done an excellent 2013 GPS review of the season – including a 2013 GPS XV which he selected with the assistance of George Smith, Jasdec, Whose That Guy and yours truly.

Click on this:

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/gps-2013-review-and-team-of-the-year/

LG and co, a cracking review of the season. Cant argue one bit with ou XV of the year either, all deserving and some standout performers. From the games i watched (and i figure performances against the scots boys were the better ones), i think a couple of honourable mentions need to go out to some who just missed gongs:

Newington #6 (Morris if the program is right). Along with the Newington #8, he was imense in both games against Scots. Worked tirelessly and was a real back bone player. Solid kid, and if he keeps growing into the square he is, could prove a real line bender in senior footy, best of luck to him.

Scots #9 Short: got a mention in the post, but i cant tell you how much i think of this kid. That pass has got me seeing a bright patch for Aussie rugby even if the wallabies have forgotten how to run/pass/catch/tackle/breathe? Great player, and probably the reason the Scots backs looked so red hot on so many occasions.

Joeys #6 (name unknown) Was brilliant in both Scots games this year. Picks holes perfectly and was always there, not sure how, but his damn jersey always kept popping up. huge engine and great annying style 6, probably a 7 down the track

Kings #12 (only played the first game against Scots name unknown) was the standout centre, and had he kept that form, i would have shuffled the tongan twins to have him in there somewhere. Watching Kellaway chop people down all season as a guide, he struggled to contain him in that first game, and was a shinging light in an otherwise dismal start for the boys form Parramatta

View # 7 v Scots round 2(name unknown) was brilliant and a large part of disrupting the scots game plan. If only they had him in round 1. Not much of him, but a down right pest, nothing better in a #7. Hope he bulks up and takes his game further, would be a coaches dream and flyhalfs nightmare!

Lastly Scots #11 (Crafts) and #7 (Dunbar). Crafts has speed, that makes him a pleasure to watch playing outside the scots inside backs. Unlucky i here to have missed higher honours earlier in the season, but backed up the disappoiintement with red hot form right through. Watching the hihglights the other night, the in and away on the joeys fullback was superb.

Dunbar is probably the most underrated player in the comp. Has the most superb of running games, and was the most consistent player in the Scots pack. Captained a quality side and led it brilliantly. Superb player and a quality product of my old alma mater!

Thanks again to all who provided match reports, and many hours and hours of banter! Lastly well done to all of the boys. Was one of the best seasons of rugby i can remember in a long time. Bring on 2014 in a hurry

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Must apologise, only just re-read the wrap up and noticed 2/3rds of my honorable mentions were already noted in the report. Even better report LG, Jasdec, et al!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
LG and co, a cracking review of the season.......

Thanks again to all who provided match reports, and many hours and hours of banter! Lastly well done to all of the boys. Was one of the best seasons of rugby i can remember in a long time. Bring on 2014 in a hurry

My sentiments exactly Buster! Thanks & congrats to all! Cheers, Wreckless :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do selectors ever agree?

Here is the AAGPS Competition Team of the Year (selected by a fairly reputable crew) compared to how the AAGPS, NSW Schools and Aust Schoolboys Selectors rated them.

1. V Fifita (N) (GPS I) (NSW II) (Aust Schools)
2. H Fotokava (V) (GPS III) (NSW I) (Aust A)
3. M Sandell (J) (GPS I) (NSW I as #1) (Aust Schools)
4. N Kellaway (S) (GPS II)
5. G Lehmann (K)
6. O Kamp (S) (GPS III [c])
7. J McCalman (K) (GPS II as #6) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
8. L Cannell (N) (GPS I as #5) (NSW I as #4) (Aust Schools)
9, J Lussick (N) (GPS I) (NSW II) (Aust A)
10. A Deegan (J) (GPS II [c]) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
11. S Kennewell (N)(GPS II)
12. T Moeroa (N) (GPS I) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
13. T Milne (N) (GPS I) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
14. H Hutchison (V) (GPS III as #13) (NSW II as #13) (Aust Schools)
15. A Kellaway (S) (GPS I [c]) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)

Not all the AAGPS boys in the Aust Schools have qualified for the AAGPS Competition Team of the Year.
Same for AAGPS boys in NSW I, and NSW II.
Plenty of GPS I boys not selected.
Some GPS III boys selected over GPS II and GPS I boys.

Who would be a selector?

Buster

Chris McKivat (8)
Do selectors ever agree?

Here is the AAGPS Competition Team of the Year (selected by a fairly reputable crew) compared to how the AAGPS, NSW Schools and Aust Schoolboys Selectors rated them.

1. V Fifita (N) (GPS I) (NSW II) (Aust Schools)
2. H Fotokava (V) (GPS III) (NSW I) (Aust A)
3. M Sandell (J) (GPS I) (NSW I as #1) (Aust Schools)
4. N Kellaway (S) (GPS II)
5. G Lehmann (K)
6. O Kamp (S) (GPS III [c])
7. J McCalman (K) (GPS II as #6) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
8. L Cannell (N) (GPS I as #5) (NSW I as #4) (Aust Schools)
9, J Lussick (N) (GPS I) (NSW II) (Aust A)
10. A Deegan (J) (GPS II [c]) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
11. S Kennewell (N)(GPS II)
12. T Moeroa (N) (GPS I) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
13. T Milne (N) (GPS I) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)
14. H Hutchison (V) (GPS III as #13) (NSW II as #13) (Aust Schools)
15. A Kellaway (S) (GPS I [c]) (NSW I) (Aust Schools)

Who would be a selector?

HJ worth noting that Kamp is in the Aus A side, and that A Kellaway captained all bar 1 of the matches (IIRC) at the state title, so not sure of who is the actual Captin of the NSW I side? Could make a fairly forimddable NSW side from that tea of the year!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re omission of Kamp, it was either bad eyes on my behalf, or I was looking at an incorrect list when I produced the above summary. I'll check the lists again and make any necessary amendment to the OP.

This just goes to show that there is often a cigarette papers width of difference between player performances, and sometimes all it takes is a knock on at the precise time that the selector is looking at you to get ruled out (or vice versa if they happen to be looking elsewhere at that time and they miss the stuff up).

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
I thought that some of you might like this story from NBN news with its shots of the TAS-Newington Thirds game and the local reaction. - http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/2013/09/11/tas-celebrates-historical-achievement/

I couldn't resist a further comment. I hope that you don't mind. It really was a combined school effort from the 13s up. The underdog story sells Rugby. Next year, but subject to the comp changes, it would be nice to think that the other minnows (SBHS & SGS) would be there too. SGS was competitive throughout as it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.