• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I would have to say that the 2013 premiership is Kings' to lose. In saying that, however, I think there's going to need to be a lot of reshuffling through their backs; the right players aren't getting the ball enough. The only school I see proposing a serious threat is Newington. On that note, where is the New vs. Kings fixture next year? I firmly believe that the home ground advantages are alive and well, and could be the difference in this one.

Agree that Kings will be a big chance in 2013 but don't discount Joeys - they have some great players returning from their First XV, their Seconds are challenging for this years title and their Thirds look like they've got the 2012 title in the bag. Add to this their 16As talent and it could be Kings v Joeys decider game in the last round at Joeys in 2013 for the premiership.

Kings potential 2013 1st XV + (2012 team)

1. Lucas Bateman (1sts/2nds)/James King (16As)
2. Jono Burke (1sts)
3. Lucas Bateman (1sts/2nds) /Jim Lee (16As)
4. Ben Stacy (2nds)
5. Rob Black (2nds)/Jamie Greentree (2nds)
6. Sam Connor (2nds)/Rob Black (2nds)
7. Jack McCalman (1sts)
8. David Ballantine (16As)
9. Rory Davis (2nds)
10. Corey Tulloch (1sts)
11. Sam Carter (1sts/2nds)/Tom Bucknell (2nds)
12. Harry Jones (1sts)/Sam Carter (1sts/2nds)
13. Will Davies (1sts)
14. James Kane (16As)
15. Harry Jones (1sts) /James Kane (16As)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Flemington Handicappers would be happy to have a field like that for Melbourne Cup.

I would like to see the same for New, View and Joeys.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree that Kings will be a big chance in 2013 but don't discount Joeys - they have some great players returning from their First XV, their Seconds are challenging for this years title and their Thirds look like they've got the 2012 title in the bag. Add to this their 16As talent and it could be Kings v Joeys decider game in the last round at Joeys in 2013 for the premiership.

Kings potential 2013 1st XV + (2012 team)

1. Lucas Bateman (1sts/2nds)/James King (16As)
2. Jono Burke (1sts)
3. Lucas Bateman (1sts/2nds) /Jim Lee (16As)
4. Ben Stacy (2nds)
5. Rob Black (2nds)/Jamie Greentree (2nds)
6. Sam Connor (2nds)/Rob Black (2nds)
7. Jack McCalman (1sts)
8. David Ballantine (16As)
9. Rory Davis (2nds)
10. Corey Tulloch (1sts)
11. Sam Carter (1sts/2nds)
12. Harry Jones (1sts)/Sam Carter (1sts/2nds)
13. Will Davies (1sts)
14. James Kane (16As)
15. Harry Jones (1sts) /James Kane (16As)

A very fair point, wouldn't that be a fantastic build-up!

Thanks for the team list. I imagine Jones would be best suited to 15, while Carter can learn some modesty playing at 12. Very talented kid, but the 4 or 5 times I've seen him play, he seems to feel the need to be a show pony too often. Then again, I may have just seen a couple of exciting games for him! I just hope that they can use the talent they have; from what I've seen of them this year, they have the talent, but I just get the impression the ball isn't going to the right players. Tulloch's running game is deadly, but I think he would a) be able to open more gaps for himself and b) get the ball to the speed out wide if he was distributing more in the early stages of the game. Still, it all appears to have begun working for the Kings boys as of late. I'd be putting Kane in Jones' wing spot, before he takes the reigns at 15 for 2014.

Who'd be more solid in defence; Jones or Carter. That match up against Newington will likely decide a huge part of the season, and I'd hate to see the wrong choice be made against the bulldozer that is Tepai.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
A very fair point, wouldn't that be a fantastic build-up!

Thanks for the team list. I imagine Jones would be best suited to 15, while Carter can learn some modesty playing at 12. Very talented kid, but the 4 or 5 times I've seen him play, he seems to feel the need to be a show pony too often. Then again, I may have just seen a couple of exciting games for him! I just hope that they can use the talent they have; from what I've seen of them this year, they have the talent, but I just get the impression the ball isn't going to the right players. Tulloch's running game is deadly, but I think he would a) be able to open more gaps for himself and b) get the ball to the speed out wide if he was distributing more in the early stages of the game. Still, it all appears to have begun working for the Kings boys as of late. I'd be putting Kane in Jones' wing spot, before he takes the reigns at 15 for 2014.

Who'd be more solid in defence; Jones or Carter. That match up against Newington will likely decide a huge part of the season, and I'd hate to see the wrong choice be made against the bulldozer that is Tepai.

It's a very potent backline + plenty of mongrel and speed in the forwards - those forwards that played in the 2nds will benefit big time from this years experience. Jones has to be given first shot at 15 where he excelled in the 15As & 16As. Another option in the backs is the seconds no 10 Charlie Friend who has had a great year - he has a good pass and beautiful kick and defends well - he could play 12 or 10 with Tulloch at 12 - there are plenty of options for them in the backs with some talent in the 16As as well - its just a matter of getting the combinations right.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
its just a matter of getting the combinations right.

Exactly the problem this year. I suppose we'll have to wait and see. If Jones is as good a player as we all know he is, then he's going to have to do what great players sometimes need to; approach his coach and tell him where he needs to be and what he can do. Nothing earns a coach's respect like a well maintained level of self-confidence.

And I would say that Tulloch has the build for 12, as well as that running aggression.

G

G&GR News Bot

There is never anything that you can say about a 97 to Nil score line that is going to be nice to one team or the other. If you say that Saint Josephs First XV were brilliant, it would belittle Grammar. If you say that Grammar never were in the game, it would demean SJC’s

Click this link to read the full article...

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Exactly the problem this year. I suppose we'll have to wait and see. If Jones is as good a player as we all know he is, then he's going to have to do what great players sometimes need to; approach his coach and tell him where he needs to be and what he can do. Nothing earns a coach's respect like a well maintained level of self-confidence.

And I would say that Tulloch has the build for 12, as well as that running aggression.

Tulloch has a great fend as well as beautiful feet and hands - he's a maestro at setting up his outside backs - I'd be reticent to move him from 10 but he's played plenty of 12 at rep level.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Ill follow CTPE and give a potential Joeys 1st XV 2013

1. Tierney Glasson (16As)/Jono Hardy (2nds)/Oscar Sykes (3rds)
2. Chris Goldie (3rds)
3. Matt Sandell (1sts)
4. Jono Hardy (2nds)/Paddy O'Brien (1sts)
5. Ned Hanigan (1sts)
6. Max Knight (16As)/Josh Canturi (16As)
7. Nic Penisi (2nds)
8. Paddy O'Brien (1sts)
9. Pat Curtain (1sts)/Tevita Mackini (2nds)
10. Andrew Deegan (1sts)/Connor O'Shea (2nds)
11. Latrell Robinson (16As)
12. Pat Curtain (1sts)/Angus McGrath (2nds)
13. Paddy Vaughan (2nds)
14. Tim McCutcheon (16As)
15. Angus McGrath (2nds)/ Connor O'Shea (2nds)

G

G&GR News Bot

There can be only one. Now only Newington remains undefeated. Unless… Only Shore and Riverview stand between Newington and glory in 2012. Shore 22 – Scots 36 Crowd: 2,000. Sunny and 20 degrees. Photos courtesy of Alan Frost On a beautiful, sunny day in Northbridge the crowds came to witness schoolboy rugby at its finest.

Click this link to read the full article...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Gee, not hard to tell what side the author is on from that article.. don't really agree with calling out a schoolboys team on the front page as "pretenders" either (I know nothing about either of these teams btw, just popped up from the News Bot).

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
Don't agree with the sentiment in the title either.

What's even worse is accusing the ref of blatant bias in the second half and actually crediting him/her with points in the tally. Poor form.

The weekend wrap-ups are one of the things I really enjoy about reading this forum. Respect for the boys putting it all on the line each weekend needs to be first and foremost - they work their arses off each week and give it everything they've got every Saturday afternoon. Sure they'll make mistakes, and if they play under par then that needs to be said. But the tone of the latter part of this article is doing the boys and yourself a disservice.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Hey Fred!

Go and read Gristlechewers review and learn about how to write without bias. It is supposed to be a match review, not some schoolboy bat off about their beloved Big three... Please review Moses, Cyclo, Uncle Lee...

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gee, not hard to tell what side the author is on from that article.. don't really agree with calling out a schoolboys team on the front page as "pretenders" either (I know nothing about either of these teams btw, just popped up from the News Bot).

'Pretenders' as in 'pretenders to a crown', not people doing make believe

Status
Not open for further replies.