• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know there's been quite a bit of talk regarding Grammar's lack of numbers in the lower age groups, but does anyone have any information regarding their First/Second XV's this year?

I have a lot.
What would you like to know?
They are heading off to Perth and play a curtain raiser to the Force v Tahs game there next Saturday.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
I have a lot.
What would you like to know?
They are heading off to Perth and play a curtain raiser to the Force v Tahs game there next Saturday.
I know took part in a tens tournament yesterday, do you have any idea how they went? Also anything on the lower grade opens teams, as I find one of the biggest challenges for the not as strong rugby schools is finding the depth to compensate for the inevitable injuries throughout the season?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I know took part in a tens tournament yesterday, do you have any idea how they went? Also anything on the lower grade opens teams, as I find one of the biggest challenges for the not as strong rugby schools is finding the depth to compensate for the inevitable injuries throughout the season?

They weren't troubled by SBHS or St Andrews.
They have a social thirds team which played yesterday and went well against the top side (as in 1sts) from SBHS and St Andrews - I think they might have beaten them both. Some handy players who are concentrating on their HSC.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
any particular standouts in this social side? do you have any info regarding whether they will be available to play higher grades later in the season?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
any particular standouts in this social side? do you have any info regarding whether they will be available to play higher grades later in the season?

Jack Baker: prop who scored a 50m try from a kickoff.
Mitchell Rice-Brading: great tackling.
I don't see any of them agreeing to play higher up - one or 2 played 2nds last year

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
high 15a's won all their games against grammar and st andrews comfortably by at least 5 try margins with about half the team away due to athletics or injury. the 14s experienced similar results i believe. might i also add that the high firsts were basically a year 11 only team with only 2 players from last years firsts playing yesterday.

Everyone's got athletics complications

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jack Baker: prop who scored a 50m try from a kickoff.
Mitchell Rice-Brading: great tackling.
I don't see any of them agreeing to play higher up - one or 2 played 2nds last year
Nice to hear of a Grammar boy who can defend! Anyone else in the centres/outside backs of note? IMO that's always been an area where the lower Grammar teams have leaked a lot of tries/been unable to compete.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nice to hear of a Grammar boy who can defend! Anyone else in the centres/outside backs of note? IMO that's always been an area where the lower Grammar teams have leaked a lot of tries/been unable to compete.

The latter was playing wide - i would see him as a centre.
The leading wicket taker in the GPS cricket, Salakas, pulled off a copy book (thanks to Rex Mossop) cover tackle in one game when the winger was away for all money.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
high 15a's won all their games against grammar and st andrews comfortably by at least 5 try margins with about half the team away due to athletics or injury. the 14s experienced similar results i believe

I think that High had some success in the lower age groups last year, although to be fair they were playing C teams in some cases that weren't competitive.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
high 15a's won all their games against grammar and st andrews comfortably by at least 5 try margins with about half the team away due to athletics or injury. the 14s experienced similar results i believe

I think that High had some success in the lower age groups last year, although to be fair they were playing C teams in some cases that weren't competitive.

They were pretty impressive and would hold their own in higher grades against many

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
The latter was playing wide - i would see him as a centre.
The leading wicket taker in the GPS cricket, Salakas, pulled off a copy book (thanks to Rex Mossop) cover tackle in one game when the winger was away for all money.
I'm unsure of his name, but was the number 8 from last years First XV a year 11 boy, or has he left school already? I recall him having a remarkable knack for try scoring for a forward.

fieldgoal12345

Frank Row (1)
I'm sure I have heard Rice-Brading's name around the traps. Do you know what summer sport he plays and for what team?
On another note, Digby will be absolutely pivotal for Grammar's first XV this year, any team needs a strong captain to lead from the front and I think he seems to be the man for the job.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
are you aware if Grammar/High/Armidale boys are eligible for GPS selection despite playing in the thirds comp? There are a few, including Digby, that come to mind if so.

They are.
However, IMHO, they had the perfect candidate last year in the captain Gorry (No 6): tallest boy in the GPS and built with a big motor. Played "GPS U 16's" in 2012 and went no further; got a call up to NSW Schools after an injury - but he was unable to accept. So he had a pedigree that should have had him on the selection radar, one would think.
He should have made GPS 3, if not higher, in 2013 but never got a look in.
{I guess some allowance needs to be made for the influx of new blood after the U16 National tournament in 2012}
At ANU so I'm hoping he gets some good rugby mentoring down there and we might see him back in Sydney in due course - Norths junior.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
They are.
However, IMHO, they had the perfect candidate last year in the captain Gorry (No 6): tallest boy in the GPS and built with a big motor. Played "GPS U 16's" in 2012 and went no further; got a call up to NSW Schools after an injury - but he was unable to accept. So he had a pedigree that should have had him on the selection radar, one would think.
He should have made GPS 3, if not higher, in 2013 but never got a look in.
{I guess some allowance needs to be made for the influx of new blood after the U16 National tournament in 2012}
At ANU so I'm hoping he gets some good rugby mentoring down there and we might see him back in Sydney in due course - Norths junior.
Are there any playing this year you think would push for selection?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Are there any playing this year you think would push for selection?

In opens Digby would be a good chance if he was at another school - he plays too loose for my liking but that seems to be the fashion in #8s at the moment (see Higginbotham). he is one big unit and he has a knack of scoring tries. He did pre-season with Randwick colts.
The 10 might if he went to a different school.

blastblastbronco

Frank Nicholson (4)
In opens Digby would be a good chance if he was at another school - he plays too loose for my liking but that seems to be the fashion in #8s at the moment (see Higginbotham). he is one big unit and he has a knack of scoring tries. He did pre-season with Randwick colts.
The 10 might if he went to a different school.

By that do you mean the a players school is part of the selection process, or they would be better players if they had been training at another school?

Status
Not open for further replies.