• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
Completley disagree. The new gps format has been all over the shop in terms of who's playing who and who's playing where. Hopefully they can find an option that suits everyone but at the moment i think Grammar, high and tas need to look for other options

If I assume you are associated with one of the elite Rugby Schools , then the alternative is to amalgamate/divisionalise, as you plainly have no belief in the future of the GPS as a standalone proposition . A second alternative would be for you to do your bit to ensure compliance by all Schools with the GPS Code of Conduct in order to ensure a more level playing field. A third alternative would be for you to do your bit to ensure that your School's elite rugby culture achieve some modicum of balance vis a vis the rest of its activities.

Having presumably not opted for any of those alternatives, your suggestion that Grammar, High and TAS look for "other options" has no basis. Meanwhile, we minnows will continue to enjoy our year.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I am a big fan of the new format, but I do believe they could do it better regarding matching up 3rd and 1st grade sides. Sending half of Riverview up to TAS for the Joeys game is just plain stupid and should not be repeated. Definitely disagree with the breaking up of the GPS or the 'minnows' finding a new comp. As a Joeys boys, I was much more keen to watch a one side 3rd grade game vs High than a much tougher game vs St Pats.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Joeys 3rds vs Highs 1st which ended 65-5 was a more enjoyable game for the boys to watch then Joeys 3rds vs St Pats 1st which ended 12-10. Just another reason why the GPS comp is more valuable then an expanded one.

Is this and your previous post meant to sound as arrogant and elitist as it comes across? I hope not, if so however I am disgusted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Considering all the variables at play, I think the organisers of GPS rugby have done an outstanding job putting the fixture list together. The 1sts, 2nds and 3rds seems to work well - although that I think before too long Grammar will be too strong for 3rd XV. I do think that they need to look at the age groups; having a blanket system where TAS, SGS & SHS As play Cs has led to some mismatches (eg SGS 14As d NC 14Cs 104-0). I'm sure that the sportsmasters will look at this for 2014 and correct the obvious ones from this year.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Is this and your previous post meant to sound as arrogant and elitist as it comes across? I hope not, if so however I am disgusted.

Not at all, simply stating that the rivalry within the GPS is as strong as ever ! I'm sorry if I offended you and I'm sure St Pats is a great school, however a game against a GPS school holds more meaning to me and many other boys then one against a non-GPS school. Not meaning to offended anyone, just supporting the new GPS competition

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure it wasn't meant to, but I know what Random means. 10 or so years ago, my nephew was at Scots and I remember watching them play a really tough trial against Waverley, which Scots won by a couple of points. A few weeks later I saw them play High, a match they won quite easily - 5 or 6 tries to 1 or something like that. I remember after the game that the boys were far more satisfied with the victory against High. When I asked why, the response was that one was a GPS game and the other wasn't. The fact that these 9 schools have played each other for so long, gives the matches a quality beyond what can be rationally explained.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agree - I can see why angrydog reacted like an angry dog, but can also see why random2 was puzzled at his reaction.

But the last two posts explained things.

Nothing untoward here.

footy5

Bob McCowan (2)
News just in Jack Neddleton (st. Augustines) was watching the scots 16a's play view on the weekend, any suggestions why? shot boys, shots all-round

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
News just in Jack Neddleton (st. Augustines) was watching the scots 16a's play view on the weekend, any suggestions why? shot boys, shots all-round

Just a few thoughts - maybe he's mates with boys in one or both of the teams; maybe he was conducting a survey on which school's bbq has the best sausage sangers; maybe he thought, 'I'll go to View on Saturday and see if it gets the conspiracy theorists all worked up on G&GR' or 'I go to a catholic school, I might go and visit another catholic school and compare it to mine - Is it better to be on the Ocean at Manly or the Lane Cove River?' or 'I'm in the NSW U16 team and we're playing at View, I might go and check out the facilities and some of my team mates from Scots and View'

Do you want anymore? I'm here all week. Try the veal.

theking10

Frank Row (1)
I'll chuck out a predicted Joeys XV for 2014:
1. Jake Finnane (2nds/16A)
2. Patrick O'Doherty (2nds)
3. Marcus Cutler (2nds)
4. Koim Wingti (1sts)
5. Nathan Gitteos (16A)
6. Will O'Connell (16A)
7. Josh Canturi (1sts/2nds)
8. Max Knight (2nds)
9. Banjo Travers/Matt Rodgers (16A/3rd)
10. Connor O'Shea (2nds)
11. Ronald Streeter-Mason (16A)
12. Willo McDonnell (1sts)
13. Tim McCutcheon (1sts)
14. Tom Wright (2nds)
15. Will Fell (3rds)

In total that's 4 from 1sts, 6 for 2nds 4 from 16As and 1 from 3s. The forward pack is very very strong and the backs are solid. Joeys will probably be second favourites behind View with two strong age groups in opens next year. Joeys will be aided by there superior depth with many players easily replaceable with what will be a very strong 2s side next year.

Also Andy Cameron - has been injured since 15a, great flanker/second row, good heart and has good size, maybe a return to high level footy or play lower grade as injuries have made him unable to play at this level.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'll chuck out a predicted Joeys XV for 2014:
1. Jake Finnane (2nds/16A)
2. Patrick O'Doherty (2nds)
3. Marcus Cutler (2nds)
4. Koim Wingti (1sts)
5. Nathan Gitteos (16A)
6. Will O'Connell (16A)
7. Josh Canturi (1sts/2nds)
8. Max Knight (2nds)
9. Banjo Travers/Matt Rodgers (16A/3rd)
10. Connor O'Shea (2nds)
11. Ronald Streeter-Mason (16A)
12. Willo McDonnell (1sts)
13. Tim McCutcheon (1sts)
14. Tom Wright (2nds)
15. Will Fell (3rds)

In total that's 4 from 1sts, 6 for 2nds 4 from 16As and 1 from 3s. The forward pack is very very strong and the backs are solid. Joeys will probably be second favourites behind View with two strong age groups in opens next year. Joeys will be aided by there superior depth with many players easily replaceable with what will be a very strong 2s side next year.

Is your suggested 14 the 16's 5/8?
I wonder how much the schools look 2 or 3 years ahead - do you know?
The reason I wonder that is that Wright is pretty bloody good player IMHO and I speculate that, if he's not ready for 1s in 2014, they would play him at 10 in 2's unless they see him as a long term 14 or 15: i have seen him play 15 and he's no slouch there either.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
Will the GPS permit Grammar to play seconds next year? They have about 10 of their firsts coming back and ought to be a reasonably competitive seconds team. They would be likely to win a few and lose a few . If the move was opposed on the basis that this disrupts the other schools etc, then the argument for divisionalising the three Sydney schoolboy comps becomes more powerful.

A further argument for divisionalising is that the corrosive debates about scholarships/elitism etc (which tend to show the GPS is already broken as a cohesive group) would end. The Division 1 teams would be free of the GPS Code of Conduct to engage in whatever behaviour they think fit to advance their positions.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am a big fan of the new format, but I do believe they could do it better regarding matching up 3rd and 1st grade sides. Sending half of Riverview up to TAS for the Joeys game is just plain stupid and should not be repeated. Definitely disagree with the breaking up of the GPS or the 'minnows' finding a new comp. As a Joeys boys, I was much more keen to watch a one side 3rd grade game vs High than a much tougher game vs St Pats.

I would have to agree. One sure way to kill off the rugby comp is to send teams all over the countryside on a weekend such as joeys vs riverview. These are iconic games not only for the 1st XV but every other team in the school,and the whole school wants to support their sides against the old enemy. I do think there is a place for all Gps schools in the comp. and I would not like to be the one doing the draw. This year has been very disjointed and some of the teams below Bs have rarely played the same team as their 1st XV so there is no wonder that crowds are dwindling. I hope that this year has shown alternatives to the wise men constructing future draws that will see a return to large school rugby events.

thethirteenthcoming

Frank Row (1)
as this years GPS comp concludes with Scots being champions or scots/newington being joint-premiers, do we have predictions on the 1st XV and the 2nd XV lineups for all schools next year?

Jerusalem

Stan Wickham (3)
1st XV- View will be too strong but will be challenged by Joeys and Scots
2nd XV- Joeys will take out seconds in a close competion

Red October

Frank Row (1)
IMHO Kings will be the team to beat next year, with just about their whole forward pack back and a very strong 16a cohort it will be between TKS, Scots and Riverview.

thethirteenthcoming

Frank Row (1)
It was gathered in posts earlier that 4 schools would be in contention (view, kings, joeys and scots) but i was chasing teams lists for next year and who people thought will play 1s and 2s next year

Status
Not open for further replies.