• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackson M.Spare

Frank Row (1)
Scots are continually producing some of the finest rugby places to date. Here are my predictions for 2014 1XV season:

1) Aidan Brown 1XV/2XV/3XV-2013
Great ball skills/ strong running game/ needs work on scrums.

2) Jakob Sedgeman 1XV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Great set piece/ needs work on speed and scots style of running game / strong ball carrier.

3) lachy Terbutt 2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Great running game/ great speed.

4) Tobi Rudolf 1XV/2XV-2013
Strong ball carrier/ great set piece.

5) Max Hendrie 1XV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Fast and strong ball carrier/ strong set piece/ needs work on breakdown.

6)Henry Kamp 16A's-2013/ Ben j 2XV-2013
Henry shows great potential may lack experience?/// Ben J strong player but lacks the punch in running game that other back row players bring to the table/ good ruck work.

7) Taylor Deer 1XV/2XV-2013
strong running game much like Hamish/ needs to put on some size/ Good ball skills.

8) Angus C 1XV/Injured-2013
The whole package when it comes to NO.8 Currently injured but will make a strong return next season.

9) Theo Strang 16A's-2013
Great passing to one side/ needs work on communication.

10) Jack Maddock 1stXV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013/ Callum Styles 1XV-2013
Both great kicking skills/ great ball skills how ever Jack has a better attacking game, where as Callum is a strong player with better defense.

11) Jarrod Cullen 16A's-2013/??
Great speed and skills/ strong running game.

12) James Hawkins 1XV/2XV/16A's-2013
Strong running game and ball carrier.

13) Guy Porter 1XV-2013
returning 1XV great running game/ skill set.

14) ????
N/A

15) Callum Styles/ Jack Maddock
same as 10 my recommendation would be callum.

special mentions to Scots 1XV today as they look to extend their undefeated streak in hope for the GPS premiership.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Scots are continually producing some of the finest rugby places to date. Here are my predictions for 2014 1XV season:

1) Aidan Brown 1XV/2XV/3XV-2013
Great ball skills/ strong running game/ needs work on scrums.

2) Jakob Sedgeman 1XV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Great set piece/ needs work on speed and scots style of running game / strong ball carrier.

3) lachy Terbutt 2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Great running game/ great speed.

4) Tobi Rudolf 1XV/2XV-2013
Strong ball carrier/ great set piece.

5) Max Hendrie 1XV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013
Fast and strong ball carrier/ strong set piece/ needs work on breakdown.

6)Henry Kamp 16A's-2013/ Ben j 2XV-2013
Henry shows great potential may lack experience?/// Ben J strong player but lacks the punch in running game that other back row players bring to the table/ good ruck work.

7) Taylor Deer 1XV/2XV-2013
strong running game much like Hamish/ needs to put on some size/ Good ball skills.

8) Angus C 1XV/Injured-2013
The whole package when it comes to NO.8 Currently injured but will make a strong return next season.

9) Theo Strang 16A's-2013
Great passing to one side/ needs work on communication.

10) Jack Maddock 1stXV/2XV/3XV/Injured-2013/ Callum Styles 1XV-2013
Both great kicking skills/ great ball skills how ever Jack has a better attacking game, where as Callum is a strong player with better defense.

11) Jarrod Cullen 16A's-2013/??
Great speed and skills/ strong running game.

12) James Hawkins 1XV/2XV/16A's-2013
Strong running game and ball carrier.

13) Guy Porter 1XV-2013
returning 1XV great running game/ skill set.

14) ????
N/A

15) Callum Styles/ Jack Maddock
same as 10 my recommendation would be callum.

special mentions to Scots 1XV today as they look to extend their undefeated streak in hope for the GPS premiership.

The two Islander boys that Scots have had playing on the wing this year for the 2nds/3rds, are they Year 11s? Because I would have thought at least one would be deserving of that vacant 14 spot.

mark7

Stan Wickham (3)
Possible Kings 2014 1st XV

1) James King (1sts)
2) Jono Bourke (1sts)
3) Jim Lee/ Dom Cooper ( 1sts, 16A's)
4) George Lehman ( 1sts)
5) ??
6) Toby Moore (2nds)
7) Hugh Taylor (2nds) (c)
8) David Ballintyne ( 1sts)
9) Danny Fletcher/ Louie Heaton ( QLD GPS, 16A's)
10) George Philip (2nds)
11) Jake Richards (2nds)
12) James Kane/Hugh Yates/ Jake Richards (1sts,2nds, 2nds)
13) Jake La'ferla (16A's)
14) Chris Orpen? (16A's)
15) James Kane/ Hugh Yates (1sts, 2nds)

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
The two Islander boys that Scots have had playing on the wing this year for the 2nds/3rds, are they Year 11s? Because I would have thought at least one would be deserving of that vacant 14 spot.[/quote.

Napilla K year 11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
On the 2013 thread, I wondered how TAS might go in 2014. This got me digging out some stats. I don't have enough for the full picture but the results are still interesting. Those who know the Sydney schools might be able to correct my errors.

I am not sure that everybody realises that this is actually TAS's second year back in the comp. Last year the firsts played in the second division in place of SGS. They finished in second last place, ranked ahead of Scots on for and against. While the school only won one match against View, their matches were quite close with the exception of Newington (47-7) and to a lesser extent Joeys (26-14).

I had expected TAS to stay in the seconds, but the school chose to play in the thirds comp. When I asked why, I was told that the 2013 firsts looked weaker; there was too much risk, too much of a stretch. Clearly, TAS firsts have been highly competitive in the thirds. Should they and SGS consider moving back into the seconds or bed down in the thirds for another year?

I have no idea how many of the current TAS firsts are coming back, however two variables need to be considered. The first is the smaller number of boys playing Rugby at the minnows, the second the decline in the standard of play as you move down the levels. You can see this in some of the quite unbalanced wins that the minnow A teams have had in the age grades where they have been playing the equivalent of the age grade thirds. However, drop down to the next minnow level, and losses appear, a sign of less depth.

If we look in more detail at the results this year (I do not have full results on either scores or exact levels of competitive teams).

Start with TAS seconds, the main back-up team for the firsts, who play the fourths from the Sydney schools with the exception of SBH and SGS. Excluding SBH and SGS, I have the results from five games. TAS won against Kings and Riverview, lost to Shore, Joeys and Scots. Competitive at that level, but the seconds would have struggled at the next level up.

Then we go to the TAS thirds who got far fewer games. They played four, lost four. Now we go to the 16As who appeared to have played all their games against the 16Cs. TAS won every game, sometimes by huge margins. By contrast, TAS16Bs playing against the Ds won three of their five games. They were badly defeated by Shore and Joeys, won against Kings, Riverview and Scots. If the numbers are right, my feeling is that the TAS 16As would have been competitive at the next level, the 16Bs would have made a fist of it, but come towards the bottom.

Turning now to the 15s as an important feeder where TAS has just two teams, the 15As appear to have won every game, some times by very big margins (79-0 against Shore, for example). Clearly, they would have been competitive at a higher level. The Bs won two out of five. Again the gradient.

Looking at the 14s as feeders to the 15s. here TAS actually has three teams. The A's have won 4 out of 5, the Bs 2 out of five, the Cs 3 out of 5. The 13As have won 3/4 (I don't have the Scots results), the 13Bs 3/4. The Scots results were interesting for here the TAS A teams in the 15s and 14s were playing the Scots B teams, the same level that TAS would be playing if the firsts played in the second comp. The 15As won, the 14As lost.

Congratulations if you are still with me! What conclusion do I draw from all this? On the surface, and subject to the final mix of the firsts, TAS could shift up a grade. If I was in charge, I would be inclined to stay in the thirds to let the comp bed down, the boys gain experience. Here TAS can combine GPS with the other rep games it plays from the thirteens up. However, my feeling is that TAS will in the end have no choice but to move up. Given the results in the seconds last year, that team would have swept this years thirds comp.

I would be interested in a comparative analysis for High and Grammar.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Congratulations if you are still with me! What conclusion do I draw from all this? On the surface, and subject to the final mix of the firsts, TAS could shift up a grade. If I was in charge, I would be inclined to stay in the thirds to let the comp bed down, the boys gain experience. Here TAS can combine GPS with the other rep games it plays from the thirteens up. However, my feeling is that TAS will in the end have no choice but to move up. Given the results in the seconds last year, that team would have swept this years thirds comp.

A brief follow up comment. This is all about sport. The fact that the minnows are competitive at their level in 2013, increases the incentive for boys to play Rugby as compared to other sports. That, in turn, increases their chances of winning and moving up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

My understanding is that one school in particular would not countenance "disrupting" the 2nds comp because it would stuff up their reserves for 1sts, which makes sense.
I don't think there is any way of playing these sides in a 2's comp that doesn't lead to all sorts of issues: either they never play at home or 2 away teams have to play at a 3rd school's ground at 2pm. And this would go for all the teams in the 2nds comp as the 2nds are needed to reserve for 1s. In fact, without trying to conduct a draw i dont think it can be done mathematically.
I would not be too confident that the schools other than High Grammar and TAS think that this year has worked: it is very disruptive for the 3rd level teams and below as well as creating logistical nightmares for their reserves. Apparently the whole arrangement is up for discussion shortly.
Grammar have drawn with TAS and beaten SJC, were well beaten by TSC, beat NC & Shore easily and could have beaten SIC.
Not sure that they could have footed it in the 2nds this year - I suspect they could have lost all their games but I have seen only 2 2nds games, i guess they might have won 2 games.
A problem for Grammar is that it is very hard to get interest back into rugby if the 1sts are not playing at 3pm. On occasions the 15As have played after them - that makes it hard to require attendance at Weigall and harder to get kids to willingly stay back to watch the best team in the school go round. That, to me, is how you build spirit and get kids interested and aiming to play in the 1sts.
I think SGS are stuck in 3rds for the foreseeable future - assuming the other schools are prepared to put up with that arrangement.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
My understanding is that one school in particular would not countenance "disrupting" the 2nds comp because it would stuff up their reserves for 1sts, which makes sense.
I don't think there is any way of playing these sides in a 2's comp that doesn't lead to all sorts of issues: either they never play at home or 2 away teams have to play at a 3rd school's ground at 2pm. And this would go for all the teams in the 2nds comp as the 2nds are needed to reserve for 1s. In fact, without trying to conduct a draw i dont think it can be done mathematically.
I would not be too confident that the schools other than High Grammar and TAS think that this year has worked: it is very disruptive for the 3rd level teams and below as well as creating logistical nightmares for their reserves. Apparently the whole arrangement is up for discussion shortly.
Grammar have drawn with TAS and beaten SJC, were well beaten by TSC, beat NC & Shore easily and could have beaten SIC.
Not sure that they could have footed it in the 2nds this year - I suspect they could have lost all their games but I have seen only 2 2nds games, i guess they might have won 2 games.
A problem for Grammar is that it is very hard to get interest back into rugby if the 1sts are not playing at 3pm. On occasions the 15As have played after them - that makes it hard to require attendance at Weigall and harder to get kids to willingly stay back to watch the best team in the school go round. That, to me, is how you build spirit and get kids interested and aiming to play in the 1sts.
I think SGS are stuck in 3rds for the foreseeable future - assuming the other schools are prepared to put up with that arrangement.

That's depressing, IS. I don't know how to respond properly on either the politics or the logistics. Looking at your arguments, maybe SGS, SBH and TAS have to pull out before they are sqeezed out? That's happened to TAS once before. Are we getting to the stage that Rugby is no longer a GPS sport, that (as has been suggested on discussion on the 2013 thread) it's time for the top few GPS Rugby schools to leave the GPS comp for a new super rugby schools comp? If the top three or four GPS Rugby schools left the comp, their lower level teams might still play GPS.

Bluntly, I have become interested in the comp again because TAS is back. I would be interested in what SGS, SBH and other TAS supporters have to say. I was on a bus twelve months ago with a whole group of SBH boys just back from their annual Armidale trip. We chatted happily about the weekend. That, to me, was the GPS.

It may be that the difference in school size and professionalism has unbalanced the comp to the point of no return. I don't know. It sounds a bit like that.

old fella

Stan Wickham (3)
That's depressing, IS. I don't know how to respond properly on either the politics or the logistics. Looking at your arguments, maybe SGS, SBH and TAS have to pull out before they are sqeezed out? That's happened to TAS once before. Are we getting to the stage that Rugby is no longer a GPS sport, that (as has been suggested on discussion on the 2013 thread) it's time for the top few GPS Rugby schools to leave the GPS comp for a new super rugby schools comp? If the top three or four GPS Rugby schools left the comp, their lower level teams might still play GPS.

Bluntly, I have become interested in the comp again because TAS is back. I would be interested in what SGS, SBH and other TAS supporters have to say. I was on a bus twelve months ago with a whole group of SBH boys just back from their annual Armidale trip. We chatted happily about the weekend. That, to me, was the GPS.

It may be that the difference in school size and professionalism has unbalanced the comp to the point of no return. I don't know. It sounds a bit like that.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I suspect that the correct grading of TAS, SGS & SHS are but one of the things to be discussed for 2014. IS is probably correct about their respective 1sts playing in the 3rds competition will continue in 2014. I think that the age groups need to be looked at as there have been more mismatches than not when playing opposition Cs and Es. I believe that Bs and Ds would be a better match up as the TAS, SGS & SHS teams will be tested, which long term is better for them - provided of course that there are no mismatches.

I also understand that there was a meeting on Friday at which a number of schools expressed either reservations or opposition to the 2 round home and away format.

Don't be surprised if there's a change - I'm not sure what the alternatives are though.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sad when a school which has been in the competition for 120 years has to be "put up with" isn't it.

I for one want to see SGS resume their rightful place.

Jakedabomb13

Frank Row (1)
Possible Kings 2014 1st XV

1) James King (1sts)
2) Jono Bourke (1sts)
3) Jim Lee/ Dom Cooper ( 1sts, 16A's)
4) George Lehman ( 1sts)
5) ??
6) Toby Moore (2nds)
7) Hugh Taylor (2nds) (c)
8) David Ballintyne ( 1sts)
9) Danny Fletcher/ Louie Heaton ( QLD GPS, 16A's)
10) George Philip (2nds)
11) Jake Richards (2nds)
12) James Kane/Hugh Yates/ Jake Richards (1sts,2nds, 2nds)
13) Jake La'ferla (16A's)
14) Chris Orpen? (16A's)
15) James Kane/ Hugh Yates (1sts, 2nds)

Chris Orpen mightn't be at the school next year due to his dad getting a job in Western Australia. Not confirmed what school he'll go to (might board).

Status
Not open for further replies.