• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Azzuri's letting his bias get in the road of objectivity here, surely it's Joeys v King's, home team first.

The Italian Stallion and RM2 can rabbit on all they like about the Joey's Rugby Mums enjoying themselves over a few bottles of champagne (I've never seen champagne in the Joeys dining room post-march!) but that pales in comparison to the quantity of beer sunk by Old Boys at Jacks after the final whistle. Ably helped by a few OBs from King's on the odd occasion. The Joeys OBU are justifiably proud of their little licensed shack tucked away in the south-west corner, it has all the charm of a country pub or a beer booth at a western NSW show with the added usefulness of a men's shed. In my time it used to be the weights shed, but it's been altered and spruced up to better meet its current task.

Going back to the Joemums, I'd like to congratulate them for the wonderful spreads they've put on over the years; it'd surely have to be the best feed going in the GPS. Who could top a whole hot ham carved off the bone in front of them? You've done an outstanding job scoring the pies, Azzuri, how about a similar exercise on the dining room spreads?

@Lindommer....I'm aware of the conventions of home team first however I prefer to be unconventionally unconventional....and happy to provide a report on the 2015 season's dining room expeirences

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Good point @Lindommer.

As the AAGPS season winds down, that is a timely reminder of what School sport should be about.

We tend to focus a little too much on the winners, men of the match, future wallabies, NSW and Aust schoolboys performances, competition tables, promoting the virtues of the schools that we are associated with etc, and forget that the majority of these are just kids playing a game they love, with their mates against good acquaintances.

With the season almost done and dusted, nominations are now open for the more prestigious awards of the AAGPS season:

a. Best 1st XV Afternoon Tea
(Quality 25%, Quantity 45%, Range 15%, Captain's speech, 10%, Location 5%)

b. Best Canteen/BBQ
(Quality of product 50%, speed of service 30%, Value for money 20%)

c. Best Match Day experience
(Parking 20%, Crowd behaviour 10%, Sportsmanship 25%, Canteen/BBQ 10%, Afternoon Tea 10%, exciting footy 10%, Medical Support 5%, Presentation of ovals 10%)

@LG...nice work... the above subject matter will surely see us achieve the 150 page KPI for this thread.o_O

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
@Lindommer..I'm aware of the conventions of home team first however I prefer to be unconventionally unconventional..and happy to provide a report on the 2015 season's dining room expeirences
I need to raise another very serious issue.

COFFEE AT GROUNDS

This needs it's own category.

Last week at Scots The Black Witch Cafe did quite a reasonable job.

For your flat white with extra shot I score you a 7.5

Now Riverview.

Atrocious, absolute rubbish, undrinkable. God awful. Score 1.5

My advice would be to stop at that trendy Cafe on the way in.

Benjamin Dover

Frank Row (1)
On the point of scots resting their stars last weekend against shore, I noticed they brought on thirds players! A perfect example is Ben Miller (20) who came on for Theo Strang (9). Ben came on with fire and played extremely well.

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
Good point @Lindommer.

As the AAGPS season winds down, that is a timely reminder of what School sport should be about.

We tend to focus a little too much on the winners, men of the match, future wallabies, NSW and Aust schoolboys performances, competition tables, promoting the virtues of the schools that we are associated with etc, and forget that the majority of these are just kids playing a game they love, with their mates against good acquaintances.

With the season almost done and dusted, nominations are now open for the more prestigious awards of the AAGPS season:

a. Best 1st XV Afternoon Tea
(Quality 25%, Quantity 45%, Range 15%, Captain's speech, 10%, Location 5%)

b. Best Canteen/BBQ
(Quality of product 50%, speed of service 30%, Value for money 20%)

c. Best Match Day experience
(Parking 20%, Crowd behaviour 10%, Sportsmanship 25%, Canteen/BBQ 10%, Afternoon Tea 10%, exciting footy 10%, Medical Support 5%, Presentation of ovals 10%)

Best 1st XV Afternoon Tea..... Parent catered
(Joeys, Kings, Riverview & Shore)

Best 1st XV Afternoon Tea..... School catered
(Newington & Scots)

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
LG , are you talking members? Or plebs?

The scots balcony looks very posh ... Although bit elevated for my liking... Unless you like looking down on the minions ;)

Hello

Stan Wickham (3)
LG , are you talking members? Or plebs?

The scots balcony looks very posh . Although bit elevated for my liking. Unless you like looking down on the minions ;)

The Scots balcony costs $80 p/h, nothing worse than breaking $100 note...... the change is those damn pesky $20 notes which are like copper coins to scots balcony dwellers :)

Nothing wrong with being down with the hoards.

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)

Best afternoon tea 1st XV ... Scots of course fully catered !!

Best canteen ... Shore .. efficient and quality

Match experience, Joeys , New , Scots, , all hard to find a park. Shore lacks quality rugby standard unfortunately, So that leaves Kings or View .. a draw both play good footy, easy to park,rustic grandstands and both equally poor canteens!

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
The Scots balcony costs $80 p/h, nothing worse than breaking $100 note.. the change is those damn pesky $20 notes which are like copper coins to scots balcony dwellers :)

Nothing wrong with being down with the hoards.

Well here is a true story.

I think it was 2011 Shore v Scots at BH and I was there with my daughter (she would have been 7),

Obviously not at all interested in the rugby she stated to play in the sand of the long jump pit on the eastern side of the ground. She stated to find coins buried in the sand. Not just a few, but hundreds. 5, 10, 20, 50 cents and a few dollars.

Without a word of a lie. She pulled out $88 of coins. It's still in her bank.

So I can tell you there is so much money in that place. Coins must be a burden. just scratch the surface and you will find gold.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
On the point of scots resting their stars last weekend against shore, I noticed they brought on thirds players! A perfect example is Ben Miller (20) who came on for Theo Strang (9). Ben came on with fire and played extremely well.

Yet another reason to restructure GPS rugby.
Perhaps it could look this way from 2016 onwards:
Division 1 Scots and Newington, play each other every week.
Division 2: Joeys, Kings, Shore and Riverview, play in a round robbin. Season winner plays loser of Scots v Newington Div 1 competition for promotion/relegation.
Division 3: Grammar, High and TAS, round robbin, season winner plays last place getter of Div 2 for promotion/relegation.
(Only slightly sarcastic)

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I need to raise another very serious issue.

COFFEE AT GROUNDS

This needs it's own category.

Last week at Scots The Black Witch Cafe did quite a reasonable job.

For your flat white with extra shot I score you a 7.5

Now Riverview.

Atrocious, absolute rubbish, undrinkable. God awful. Score 1.5

My advice would be to stop at that trendy Cafe on the way in.
I agree if it's the same coffee guy that was at Schoolboy Nationals it was terrible.

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Rowers BBQ at Joeys serve a mean "everything" variety.
Sausage, egg, bacon, steak, onion, bacon (just in case the first heap was small) another egg as well.

Will Cooper

Bob McCowan (2)
Newington's BBQ is poor. As soon as 3:15pm kicks off it immediately shuts down. i wouldn't know what their products are like because i got there at 3:16. Scots BBQ at both Rowing and the Rugby is always reliable, eatable and just top quality class. :)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yet another reason to restructure GPS rugby.
Perhaps it could look this way from 2016 onwards:
Division 1 Scots and Newington, play each other every week.
Division 2: Joeys, Kings, Shore and Riverview, play in a round robbin. Season winner plays loser of Scots v Newington Div 1 competition for promotion/relegation.
Division 3: Grammar, High and TAS, round robbin, season winner plays last place getter of Div 2 for promotion/relegation.
(Only slightly sarcastic)

I hope you have a crash helmet on for the missles from Joeys supporters.:)

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
2015 AAGPS Rugby Coffee Review:

Summary of my coffee tasting notes from AAGPS season 2015

Kings: Earthy and unmistakably rural. The subtle undertones of Mallee bull co-mingled with essence of pheasant plucker give this premium blend an egalitarian quality. Pleasing to the palate and made from 100% genetically modified Brazilian Wax Beans this ultra-smooth blend romances the tongue, Barry White style.

Riverview: Shamelessly disguising the constituent parts that comprise its real identity this subversive coffee substitute is served in an asbestos mug using BBQ tongs and a welding mask. Brewed in an ancient communal chamber pot from the original View boarding house the questionable aromatics of this blend coupled with the heady whiff of a bushman’s outhouse simultaneously confuse and assault all five senses at once and have been known to trigger a tsunami like laxative reaction that would rival an explosion at the Cadbury factory.

Scots: Brewed at altitude and delivered with an air of smug superiority. The coffee artfully dodges all taste receptors in the mouth but nonetheless scorches across the tongue and down the oesophagus with the subtlety of a barbed wire enema. Colloquially known amongst coffee cognoscenti as Bombay Bovril.

Joeys: I approached the cup in anticipation of a religious experience and walked away feeling like I’d been dressed in a tutu and locked in a cell in D block with Bubba, Killer and Ricki-Bobby on a Saturday night. Playfully presented in a cerise and blue stripped cup the rich glossy crema adorning the surface was mesmerising and showed great promise but choked on consumption like Greg Norman with a 6 shot lead over Nick Faldo in the 1996 Masters.

Shore: With Karl Benz’s creations littering the carpark like dandruff in a hippy commune hopes were high that the coffee would, like the world renown Shores pie, be engineered to within a nanometre of absolute perfection. On first sip however those hopes were crushed like an outside back with size 9 feet holding a size 7 glass slipper. A classic example of Schadenfreude at work.

Newington: With no running water or coffee culture to speak of, expectations for a blood pressure surging cup of caffeine were low. The coffee van which looked eerily like a mobile meth lab from Breaking Bad was parked 50 meters away from the food preparation area…..for good reason. I spilled most of the “coffee” down the front of my shirt as the respirator got in the way.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Re Joeys Coffee - The Kings forward pack might feel like that after Saturday - hope they don't wear their tutus. And I hope Lindommer doesn't choke on his sushi.

Another masterful effort Azzuri, the poet of Parramatta. New and View were right on the $$.

And the Joeys RMs are busy polishing the plastic trays and separating the doilies in anticipation of a favourable post match afternoon tea review. Hell hath no fury like a bad review…...

Status
Not open for further replies.