• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Ok . I just don't get it . I am confused . how could one question the success of the Joeys Rugby program. A decline in rugby supremacy? Check this out:

Firstly - note that Joeys has 42 teams and no other school can match them grade for grade.

Round 1: Joeys played Riverview in 35 matches and Joeys won 34 of these.

Round 2: Joeys played Scots in 27 matches. Joeys won 23 of them. Of the ones they lost, the 13H lost to Scots 13F, the 15G lost to Scots 15C and 16G lost to 16F.

Round 3: Joeys played Newington in only 7 matches due to rain. Joeys won 5 of them and the two they lost - Joeys beat them in Round 8.

Round 4: Joeys played Kings in 19 matches. Joeys won 15 of them. Of the loses, 13H lost to Kings 13F, 14F lost to Kings 14D and 13ths lost to Kings 9hs.

Round 5: Joeys played Shore in 19 matches and won all of them.

Round 6: Joeys played Riverview in 33 matches. Joeys won 27 of them. Of the loses, 13E lost to Riverview 13D, 16G lost to Riverview 16F and 16F lost to Riverview 16E.

Round 7: Joeys played Scots in 22 games won 16 of them. Of the loses, 13H lost to Scots 13F, 13G lost to Scots 13E, 13ths lost to Scots 7ths.

Round 8: Joeys played Newington in 22 matches and lost just 2 of which one of them was 14E losing to Newington 14C and the other was 9ths losing to Newington 5ths.

Round 9: Joeys played Kings in 27 matches and lost only 2. One of which was the 13ths losing to the Kings 9ths.

Round 10: Joeys played Shore in 30 matches and won 29 of them.

I think that overall, Joeys should be very happy with their rugby program!!!

Interesting that you glossed over the 2 games that they lost in round 3, but took the trouble to itemise them everywhere else.;)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Ok . I just don't get it . I am confused . how could one question the success of the Joeys Rugby program. A decline in rugby supremacy? Check this out:

Firstly - note that Joeys has 42 teams and no other school can match them grade for grade.

Round 2: Joeys played Scots in 27 matches. Joeys won 23 of them. Of the ones they lost, the 13H lost to Scots 13F, the 15G lost to Scots 15C and 16G lost to 16F.

Round 3: Joeys played Newington in only 7 matches due to rain. Joeys won 5 of them and the two they lost - Joeys beat them in Round 8.

Round 4: Joeys played Kings in 19 matches. Joeys won 15 of them. Of the loses, 13H lost to Kings 13F, 14F lost to Kings 14D and 13ths lost to Kings 9hs.

Round 6: Joeys played Riverview in 33 matches. Joeys won 27 of them. Of the loses, 13E lost to Riverview 13D, 16G lost to Riverview 16F and 16F lost to Riverview 16E.

Round 7: Joeys played Scots in 22 games won 16 of them. Of the loses, 13H lost to Scots 13F, 13G lost to Scots 13E, 13ths lost to Scots 7ths.

Round 8: Joeys played Newington in 22 matches and lost just 2 of which one of them was 14E losing to Newington 14C and the other was 9ths losing to Newington 5ths.

Round 9: Joeys played Kings in 27 matches and lost only 2. One of which was the 13ths losing to the Kings 9ths.

Wow, this makes for such a great comp doesn't it??

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Gee NIS, bit snippy this morning. Lighten up, it's not that serious.

PS the 14As are still in the school "stocks" so passers by can throw their smelly footy socks at them as punishment. Let's hope this never happens again.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)

Round 3: Joeys played Newington in only 7 matches due to rain. Joeys won 5 of them.

What's your definition of Rugby supremacy?

The fact that you've not mentioned the number of first XV titles they've won in the last decade indicates you are more interested in supporting your "supremacy" assertion.

I would interpret the "stats" you've provided above as Joeys's having a great depth of rugby talent and an excellent Rugby culture....nothing more nothing less.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Does anyone know if records are available that show who scored what in gps 1st and 2nd xv matches in the 1980s?

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yes that Shore 14As was a pretty reasonable team ... and their beating Joeys would have been no fluke.

I saw the Shore 14As' narrow loss to Scots ... and unless I am mistaken it was 2 tries a piece ... with goalkicking the difference, and Shore having territorial dominance

The Shore front-row was particularly POWERFUL, and only the fact that they kept lifting, as opposed to driving the 1.5M, prevented their really capitalising on this

they also had a big (and quick) centre and they looked dangerous both in the tight and when they spread the ball

so hopefully Shore rugby will be strong in years ahead

With Kings having closed a number of boarding houses ... I would be curious to know what boarder numbers are across the various GPS schools?

as Joeys might argue they aren't a full boarding school, but lets face it, they are ... they have it all working like clockwork (now), with everything set-up to ensure boys want to be boarders ... after all who wants to be shunted around late at night, or at the crack of dawn

so full credit to Joeys on their entertaining and successful brand of rugby ... but IMHO it's as much about the resurgence of the boarding, as it is about anything else ...

.... at they end of the day.... rugby is first and foremost a team game ... and Joeys churns out better functioning teams .. straight out of the boarding house

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
With Kings having closed a number of boarding houses

@SDW I'm not sure where you heard Kings were closing boarding houses? As this is far from the truth.

Kings are modernizing and expanding the capacity of its boarding houses. In two recent cases this has meant relocating boys to other boarding houses while their house is being renovated. Boarder population at Kings is just shy of 500 and expected to grow.

S

SillyBilly

Yes I saw Shore 14As beat Newington and beating Joeys was certainly no fluke.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I think the Joeys rugby program is phenomenal.
Boys through every grade across every age group play with structure, purpose and passion.
Fitness levels, particularly in the lower grades, are rarely matched by their opposition.
The results speak for themselves.
Other teams will come and go but you can rest assured that Joeys will always be in the running.
So...........as a Scots parent it was with upmost pleasure that in Round 2 I travelled to Hunters Hill to watch my son win in the mighty 16F's in the morning, then the 1st XV triumph in a closely fought contest that afternoon.
Thank you Joeys, running such an incredible rugby program makes any victory all the sweeter.
As Ali G would say....RESPECT.

Beard

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think the Joeys rugby program is phenomenal.
Boys through every grade across every age group play with structure, purpose and passion.
Fitness levels, particularly in the lower grades, are rarely matched by their opposition.
The results speak for themselves.
Other teams will come and go but you can rest assured that Joeys will always be in the running.
So.....as a Scots parent it was with upmost pleasure that in Round 2 I travelled to Hunters Hill to watch my son win in the mighty 16F's in the morning, then the 1st XV triumph in a closely fought contest that afternoon.
Thank you Joeys, running such an incredible rugby program makes any victory all the sweeter.
As Ali G would say..RESPECT.

Well said Wristman... it's one thing for certain the mighty 16F's earnt their win that day & what a great feeling for the boys & dad as well.. well done.

Sadly my boy leaves Joeys this year to head to Colts rugby & I'm sure I'll never come across a situation again where I can wander from field to field and opposition parents cheer their boys scoring a try against Joeys as though they had won a premiership.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
@SDW I'm not sure where you heard Kings were closing boarding houses? As this is far from the truth.

Kings are modernizing and expanding the capacity of its boarding houses. In two recent cases this has meant relocating boys to other boarding houses while their house is being renovated. Boarder population at Kings is just shy of 500 and expected to grow.

I was told that by an old Kings Boy who was impressed with Scots boarding house renovations, and ultimately went that way

so not sure , if factually correct ... he certainly said boarding houses had been closed, and rural contingent had reduced

and on wikipedia it even mentions it ... but maybe you are right, it is more in the nature of a consolidation of houses

in any event, I know that back in the 70s over two thirds of Kings was boarders ... and I had heard Kings were recently down to 450 boarders, and

... I had been told that included in the growing daybook contingent ... was a big hillsong contingent ... not saying that is good or bad ... just different to the Kings boys I knew

and I will say I was very impressed with the Kings 1st and 2nd that I saw play at Joeys ... one of the locks he is surely a wallaby in the making ... outplayed his opposite IMHO

in any event... I would be surprised if Kings boarders a % aren't down on the 70s/80s .. and if Alan Jones returned, he'd struggle ;)

deez ebola nuts

Peter Burge (5)
What's your definition of Rugby supremacy?

The fact that you've not mentioned the number of first XV titles they've won in the last decade indicates you are more interested in supporting your "supremacy" assertion.

I would interpret the "stats" you've provided above as Joeys's having a great depth of rugby talent and an excellent Rugby culture..nothing more nothing less.

im sure joeys are very proud of having this great depth, but they defiantlyare longing for a 1st title something they used to win with ease in the early 2000s

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think it's almost beyond debate that Joeys have an excellent rugby programme and that rugby is an important cultural component of the school. It's also true to say that they have more rugby teams than other schools.

Having more rugby teams, it follows logically that they will win more matches and have more high quality talent available than others.

The reason that there are only official competitions for 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV is that the primary focus of the rest of GPS rugby is participation, skill development, fun and having a balanced curriculum of academic and physical pursuits. So whether the 13Gs of school A defeat the 13Es of another school is of secondary importance to all but the most fanatical parent.

Sportsmasters deliberately arrange these fixtures in order to try, as far as possible, that matches are a relatively even contest. If school A went down to Gs and school B only went down to Ds, playing Ds on Ds for example would most likely be a worthless mismatch.

rugbyking2

Allen Oxlade (6)
Interestingly on this point there has been talk of the CAS competition reverting back to the one round system. Many and I mean many of the Cranbrook, Aloysius and Trinity lower grades are unable to match up to the stronger schools of Waverley, Barker and Knox. The 15B grade for example Waverley and Knox played each 4 times in a 10 round competition if I am not mistaken. While there is still rugby depth at these schools there players appear to be getting weaker, creating havoc for scheduling. It is a shame to see this situation developing as the home and away format is very exciting and gives players great opportunities to play at other grounds as well at home.

DragonMan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it's almost beyond debate that Joeys have an excellent rugby programme and that rugby is an important cultural component of the school. It's also true to say that they have more rugby teams than other schools.

Having more rugby teams, it follows logically that they will win more matches and have more high quality talent available than others.

The reason that there are only official competitions for 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV is that the primary focus of the rest of GPS rugby is participation, skill development, fun and having a balanced curriculum of academic and physical pursuits. So whether the 13Gs of school A defeat the 13Es of another school is of secondary importance to all but the most fanatical parent.

Sportsmasters deliberately arrange these fixtures in order to try, as far as possible, that matches are a relatively even contest. If school A went down to Gs and school B only went down to Ds, playing Ds on Ds for example would most likely be a worthless mismatch.
Until the mid 80s Rugby was the only winter sport at Newington for the U13s and u12s (year 7/1st form). Although I came up through one of the Newington preps I had never played rugby before so I ended up in the 13Is (the second lowest team). Interestingly this team and the 13Js contained a mixture of boys like me who had never played before as well as some boys who had played in the prep 1sts. Ironically the 13As and 13Bs also contained boys who had never played rugby before as well as boys who were exceptionally good (two NSW primary school reps, and this was way before 'recruitment'). The point is that all boys at all levels were able to get a game each Saturday (only one or two were internal games) because nearly all GPS/CAS schools went to at least 13Gs, how do the boys in the lower teams get a chance to run around each weekend ie who would Joeys u13s lowest team play (the school with the most depth) and who would Grammar/High u13 lowest team (the schools with the least depth) play in 10 rounds of competition?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Until the mid 80s Rugby was the only winter sport at Newington for the U13s and u12s (year 7/1st form). Although I came up through one of the Newington preps I had never played rugby before so I ended up in the 13Is (the second lowest team). Interestingly this team and the 13Js contained a mixture of boys like me who had never played before as well as some boys who had played in the prep 1sts. Ironically the 13As and 13Bs also contained boys who had never played rugby before as well as boys who were exceptionally good (two NSW primary school reps, and this was way before 'recruitment'). The point is that all boys at all levels were able to get a game each Saturday (only one or two were internal games) because nearly all GPS/CAS schools went to at least 13Gs, how do the boys in the lower teams get a chance to run around each weekend ie who would Joeys u13s lowest team play (the school with the most depth) and who would Grammar/High u13 lowest team (the schools with the least depth) play in 10 rounds of competition?

High and Grammar (who seem to have only As and Bs in all age groups except 13 where they might have more) are matched up against the B and D teams of the other schools. For the rest As and Bs normally play each other, but teams lower than that are offset.

So if Joeys were to play Newington for example it might look something like:

A V A
B v B
C v D
D v F
E v H

The Joeys C, E and G teams would usually have games against CAS or ISA teams in a similar situation. Sometimes this might lead to teams playing each other more than once in those lower teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.