• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Thanks Armchair Selector - your first post should garner you a G&GR award!
Re your proposals for summer into winter transitioning: I think most of your recommendations are already in place. The key issue is that some schools encourage their elite players to train for rugby during the summer sports season i.e. term 4 then term 1, well before Shore allow their players to prepare for the rugby season.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Rugby is not Shore's raison d'être.[/quote]

Former Flanker, i think you need to re read 'Cash's' 1771 post. I think his last sentence says it all and reflects on your quote re Shore's 'raison d'etre'.

You write in 1779 about Shores non selective approach by mentioning 'first in best dressed' etc but that very process for Shore IS selective for VERY obvious reasons. Some might go further.

The reality is that the selection process at Shore has i think led it to its current situation re rugby. As 'Cash' said its not 'expansive'.....i could use a more direct word but just looking at the Shore 1st XV listed on here a while back you could see the issue.

I agree that rugby is not Shore's raison d'etre. But then again there is only one school where it seems to be.

It would be interesting to ask all GPS schools, especially Shore, as to what their raison d'etre is. How many GPS schools want to be GREAT schools based on academic excellence, broader co curricular and sport and service to the community? Most are okay, we say and like to believe they are better than this. But are they? I think most need serious renovation!

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I could refer you to a number of Shore parents who would dispute your assertion that all boys train for Winter sports during the GPS Athletics season. My understanding is that those not doing Athletics are released from Saturday sports commitments period. Please don't shoot the messenger if I am wrong.

Perhaps a Shore parent can respond and explain what Shore actually does for those not doing Athletics? When do they commence trials internally and externally? The feedback I have received is that Shore haven't got teams selected until the first Round of the GPS competition.

Shore's problems are not limited to their A teams (elite players) They did not win a single game against Joeys last weekend in any game. Joeys are passionate about Rugby and I appreciate Summer is a speed hump to the Rugby programme but please don't tell me Joeys have all boys in every grade training from term 1 as much as the boys may like to!

Full credit to Joeys for building a culture of contributing to the collective school success regardless of whether you are in the As or Gs.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
If Shore supporters express a need to find improvement in their systems regarding Rugby then go for it. But don't suggest Shore is in danger of relegation to the 3rds competition.....Shore is a competitive and effective participant in the 1's and 2's competition, has been and I see no reason why they wont continue to be.
Every team that beats them has to earn it.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Wow that is staggering, didn't win a single game!

What are they feeding them at joeys?!

I could understand if it was just rugby dominance.

And you have to remember these scots, shore teams have often played together since prep.
I wish a joeys insider would share ... The coolaid, what is in it?!!

Or at least the secrets to the success.

As frankly it starts to lose interest if it's a no contest situation

It is disappointing when kids that are good enough decide they aren't going to trial for the As ... But I do understand it. I had a family member that got sick of being on the wing in the As... So lots of reasons ... But certainly some schools certainly seem to do a better job in ensuring the best team gets on the field

And certainly would have to agree that shore seems to be under performing in sporting endeavours ... Altgh certainly in academic pursuits it is the opposite

It is almost like shore has morphed into the Anglo version of sydney grammar ... Whether by accident or design ... ?

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Rugby is not Shore's raison d'être.

You write in 1779 about Shores non selective approach by mentioning 'first in best dressed' etc but that very process for Shore IS selective for VERY obvious reasons. Some might go further.

The reality is that the selection process at Shore has i think led it to its current situation re rugby. As 'Cash' said its not 'expansive'...i could use a more direct word but just looking at the Shore 1st XV listed on here a while back you could see the issue.

Mr Providence,

Sorry you feel the Names of Shores 1st 15 are too Anglo and this is what is holding them back.

Perhaps the problem lies with the Schools that seem to be able to attract Non Anglo & even international students from developing countries.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Catch and Pass that was an awesome explanation ... of cult Joeys.

and add in that you have boarding house masters ... like Darren Junee ... ex wallaby ... I am amazed of the kids (at Joeys) that have the courage to play soccer

But suddenly your post is gone ... have you been taken away in a white coat?

No one can compete with that ... except maybe the A teams from schools, where the kids play school and club

and in that case they do get enough rugby, that they can at least, be a chance

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Tips for the weekend.
Kings by 20
Joeys by 10
Scots by 15.....interesting fact.....Scots haven't lost at Newington since 2010....winning streak to roll on.....

The has been

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think "Cash's" previous post where he stated Coaches are basically irrelevant to the teams performance if you have the cattle is way off the mark.How many coaches in all sports both junior and senior have we seen teams fortunes turned around because of the quality of the coach... too many to count. I have seen lots of bad coaches ruin good teams over my 40 years of watching rugby,just ask any player who has pulled on a jumper the effect a good coach has on them. I think Cash has short changed himself.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Mr Providence,

Sorry you feel the Names of Shores 1st 15 are too Anglo and this is what is holding them back.

Perhaps the problem lies with the Schools that seem to be able to attract Non Anglo & even international students from developing countries.[/quote]

Mr Not in Straight, perhaps i wasn't clear, apologies.

What i am saying, hopefully more clearly this time, is that a schools intake policy has a very serious and direct correlation to a whole variety of things including, this includes rugby results.

I know of 2 highly regarded private schools in Sydney (not GPS boys schools) who historically used to have a 'first in best dressed' selection policy only to change it recently when after many years they found the intake was not as diverse or progressive as they had wanted. What they both found was that each years intake came from an increasingly narrow ethnic, cultural, geographical and professional backgrounds. i.e 70% of parents were lawyers or bankers, 80% came from 4 suburbs in Sydney etc. Even birthday months were narrowing to 4. In other words not healthy for kids to grow up in such isolation to the big wide world.

My point is that 'first in best dressed', if this is still the case with Shore, is probably not working and is outdated. I trust/hope that this has already been changed at Shore somewhat, as per other schools who have come across similar issues.

Re your second paragraph i'm assuming you are referring to what belongs on another thread, i get that. If you aren't then you need help.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For the historically minded this thread bears some striking resemblances to GPS threads from other years. I'll leave you to ponder that thought and move to the real point of this post.
The obsession with GPS 1st XV rugby is ridiculous and unhealthy.
Very few of these boys will ever be paid to play rugby. Even fewer will make a living from it for 10 years. None will make so much money from it that they will never have to work.
GPS 1st XV (or 2nd or 3rd XV) rugby was not set up as a feeder system for the Tahs. Its not a meal ticket and its not the frigging RWC.
Its about participation, sacrifice and success measured in more ways than on the scoreboard or in the competition table. Its bigger and more important than both of those measures but in an intangible way.
None of these kids was sent to school to learn how to play rugby. The schools have subtly different educational philosophies but, with one exception, those philosophies do not pedal the illusion that rugby is a meal ticket.
Its merely a game. Played for fun - and nothing more.
If I were a fee paying parent at Shore, it would hearten me to think that the coaches of one of the "Big 3 sports" felt sufficiently secure in their roles and with themselves that they could see a bigger picture and let the boys know by the balance of their approach that there is more to life than schoolboy rugby and even, I've heard, rugby generally: it is a time to be treasured for its own sake not recriminated over because it failed to meet the expectations of old boys or those who follow other schools or those who think the GPS rugby season is, or should be, like the Bledisloe.
And if the kids dream Wallaby dreams that's fine because that's the happy lot of children. Adults on the other hand should not let their dreams intrude.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
I could refer you to a number of Shore parents who would dispute your assertion that all boys train for Winter sports during the GPS Athletics season. My understanding is that those not doing Athletics are released from Saturday sports commitments period. Please don't shoot the messenger if I am wrong.

Perhaps a Shore parent can respond and explain what Shore actually does for those not doing Athletics? When do they commence trials internally and externally? The feedback I have received is that Shore haven't got teams selected until the first Round of the GPS competition.

Snip...

AS, I'm unsure whether you're aware but in 2016 the athletics season is due to revert to post the rugby season so all would be rugby participants will be available for pre-season training & internal/external trials.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
IS, you are such a sydney grammar boy ... the fact that few kids will ever make a living on it ... does it really matter

money, money, money ... it's all so boring

its all about the GLORY

... most of the crazed private school parents, already have everything that money can buy ... big house, european car, better looking wife than you'd expect ... tick, tick, tick....

who cares if you risk serious injury to your teenage sons ... or end up at the emergency room on a Saturday arvo

yes, you are probably right ... unhealthy, ridiculous and a physio's dream come true

a small subset of the Australian obsession with sport

however its cheap thrills, and the only challenge is getting a programme

importantly its something many will dine-out on for a lifetime

IMAGINED glories

what I do know is that the 3:15 fixture at stanmore, is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 8 pm fixture at Homebush ... and its almost a dead certainty that the game will be better ....more free-flowing, less punctuated with injury stoppages and referee strangulation ... and most importantly getting home will be far easier

and certainly beats the alternative obsession with MINECRAFT

either way tipping scots, the all blacks .. and a sore head on Sunday

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well put, Inside Shoulder. At the end of the day, you go to school to learn, not to play rugby. Semper sit.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
what I do know is that the 3:15 fixture at stanmore, is a hell of a lot cheaper than the 8 pm fixture at Homebush . and its almost a dead certainty that the game will be better ..more free-flowing, less punctuated with injury stoppages and referee strangulation . and most importantly getting home will be far easier
and certainly beats the alternative obsession with MINECRAFT

All true: but I havent noticed that you have a problem with balance SDW - so you have my blessing to enjoy the game, and then " to realise at length the game the thing, the rest a circumstance".
As to the making of a living it may be that I have "projected": I have merely assumed that any parent prepared to bet $30k pa on a GPS premiership, or GPS rep selection could only rationally do so in the belief it was leading somewhere. My shortsightedness.

Status
Not open for further replies.