• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
2016 Riverview team, 2015 team on be right of the player:
1. Tom Osborne - 2nds
2. Sam Williams - 2nds
3. Frank Cutler - 1sts
4. Jaxon Petterson - 16A's
5. Jack Rector - 16A's
6. Charlie Rorke - 1sts
7. Chris Scott - 1sts
8. Michael Fenn - 1sts
9. Oli Clarke/Mac Bird 3rds/16A's
10. Tom Lenehan/Oli Zannino - 2nds
11. Malu Nona - 2nds
12. Jake Pirina - 1sts
13. Will Terry - 1sts
14. Oliver Smeallie - 2nds
15. Conor Fahey - 2nds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce11

Frank Row (1)
^^^^
The backline is almost set from this years currents 1st's and 2nd's players, along with most of the forward pack except the locks, so i cant really see much contention for the 1sts team. 2nds next year will be interesting however for the 15's.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
^^^^
Current 16's were very successful (with opens players) years before where as current 15's have only just surfaced as a good A's team

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
^^^^

My comments or thoughts were more directed at individual skill and performance as opposed to team performance. Just think one forward and 2 backs would push the incumbents. My 2 cents worth.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
2016 Riverview team, 2015 team on be right of the player:
1. Tom Osborne - 2nds
2. Sam Williams - 2nds
3. Frank Cutler - 1sts
4. Jaxon Petterson - 16A's
5. Jack Rector - 16A's
6. Charlie Rorke - 1sts
7. Chris Scott - 1sts
8. Michael Fenn - 1sts
9. Oli Clarke/Mac Bird 3rds/16A's
10. Tom Lenehan/Oli Zannino - 2nds
11. Malu Nona - 2nds
12. Jake Pirina - 1sts
13. Will Terry - 1sts
14. Oliver Smeallie - 2nds
15. Conor Fahey - 2nds

Isn't Noonon in year 11?

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
Anyone got a Newington 2016 team

After watching all of the 1sts & 2nds games this season (including trials) this would be my Newington team for 2016:

1. Cameron Horne
2. Adam Goodman
Isi Halaufia / Opeti Helu
4. Wilson Kearns
5. Louis Grey
6. Tom Serhon / Christian Poidevin
7. Max McKay
8. Nathan Lawson
9. Isaac Lewis
10. Bayley Kuenzle
11. Tyrone Taukamo
12. Sam Gilfedder
13. Hamish Duvall
14. Adam Miller
15. Bailey Simonsson

I think there are still a couple of issues for the coaches regarding the forwards, given the fact that they're losing 5 of the current pack.

Horne (LH) & Goodman (H) are very good, but don't have the bulk of Storey and Atiola - that may come of course, and as they're both rowers, their fitness and strength won't be a problem. I don't believe Helu has fulfilled his potential this year, and unless his fitness and work-rate (and discipline) improve dramatically, I'd opt for Halaufia as tight-head, despite his current role in the back-row.

Grey & Kearns could develop into a fine 2nd row pairing - they're both tall, athletic and mobile, and both are very willing in contact. They'll both need to put on a few kilos in the off-season to add power in the scrums.

There's a wealth of back-row talent, with McKay my choice at #7 - he's strong, quick and Pocock-like in his ability to get over the ball and effect a turnover. Serhon's strong showing in 1sts this year gives him the edge over Poidevin in the battle for the #6 position, but he could also move into the second-row if required. Poidevin's performed well all year in 2nds, and wouldn't be out of place in the side. Lawson is an automatic choice at #8 - he's been one of the best all year, and is still eligible to play U/16s, so will only get better (not to mention bigger, stronger & faster).

Halfback may be an issue next year - while Lewis has been solid in 2nds for most of the year, he was absent for a couple of matches, and his replacement (Banuelos) had a better pass, and was more effective at the scrum base. I said in a previous post that he needs to work on his pace and his passing, but his decision-making and defence are very good, and so there's a good foundation for him to work on.

At 5/8, Kuenzle will be another automatic selection (and my pick as captain) - his passing is sublime, and he's been able to set the outside backs up beautifully all year. He's deceptively big, is a rock-solid defender against either hard-running forwards or pacy backs, and can kick goals from anywhere.

I've opted for Gilfedder and Duvall in the centres, leaving Taukamo and Miller on the wings, and freeing Simonsson to play the Folau role at fullback. Gilfedder is as hard as nails, quick, and runs straight, and could make a very good inside centre. Duvall is one of the most punishing defenders I've seen all year (strangely, for a back, he actually seems to relish the contact!) but has good pace as well, and would capitalise on the gaps out wide that Kuenzle and Gilfedder open up.

Taukamo's form this year has been outstanding, and his ability to beat the opposition by either running around them or running over them is impressive to watch. Miller has been one of the standouts in 2nds all year, and combines good pace, with a solid defence and very good positional/support play. Simonsson is my choice at fullback, though he can play centre and wing (even 5/8) when required. Big, strong & fast, with a great in-and-away that's left a number of opponents red-faced & clutching at thin air this year.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^^^

I would think Tyrone may make his way into the centres next year and Gilfedder on wing. Plus Haldane from U16's would be good chance of halfback.

badratsky

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree, Gilfedder just doesn't seem to fit the role with his size. However, Tyrone might not get enough run on to the ball as he did on the wing and it might affect his ability to run over people like he did this year.

OldColt

Sydney Middleton (9)
^^^^^^^^^
Totally agree, Gilfedder just doesn't seem to fit the role with his size. However, Tyrone might not get enough run on to the ball as he did on the wing and it might affect his ability to run over people like he did this year.

I haven't seen any of the 16s games this year, so wasn't sure about Haldane, and I note that he's listed at #10 in the team sheet for tomorrow (but may well just be a typo).

My suggestion of Gilfedder in the centres was based on a couple of observations - he's not dissimilar in size to Cameron Murray (maybe a few kilos lighter) and I think having someone who looks smallish but plays hard is a plus at inside centre (thinking of Apo Latunipulu here). I'm also not convinced that Tyrone would make a good inside centre - his passing game and agility/reaction time aren't really tested a great deal in his current role, and Murray's shown throughout the season that agility and speed of response is an essential requirement for the IC to be a good defender. Of course, Murray's a bit of a freak in terms of his defence, so it may not be fair to expect anyone to live up to his standard!

I'm only sad that I won't be watching any of the GPS games next year - we'll be off to Colts next year, but looking forward to seeing some of the current players from other schools there as well.

dollard

Frank Row (1)
My Prediction for the Kings School 1st XV next year:

1. Daniel Lombardi (2nd's)
2. James Lynch (1sts)
3. Lucas Choi (2nds)
4. Dylan Pietsch (1sts)
5. Nick Brown (1sts)
6. Joey Skelly (1sts)
7. Charlie Ryan (1sts)
8. Matthew Orpen (1sts)
9. Will Grant (16as)
10. Jack Mann (1sts)
11. Hamish Southwell (2nds)
12. Charlie Steele-Park (2nds)
13. Sean Anese (2nds)
14. Luke Osbourne (2nds)
15. Rhys Millar (1sts)

This side will be extremely competitive in the season next year, with over half the team having played in the 1sts this year. Look out for Dylan Pietsch, a devastating ball runner unlucky to not be selected in the Australian Schoolboys this year, and a shoe in for next year. Also look out for Charlie Steele-Park, having undergone personal speed and strength training over the season and will continue through the summer, making him a possible wrecking ball in the mid field. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the kings boys took home the premiership in 2016.

Boxhead

Bob McCowan (2)
It appears that a parents push for position has already begun at King's, vailed in a team prediction, which is likely to destroy, once again, any semblance of team spirit and any chance that the school has of once again becoming a force in the GPS. It seems highly unusual that the current inside centre would be named at number 8 ahead of the NSW player Pietsch who was outstanding in this position for the last part of the year or would the current 2nd XV half back Brown(2014 NSW 16s halfback) be not first considered at 9. Steel Park has been great as 2nd XV 10 this year and Mann has some work to do to recover from his knee injury. Let the boys be chosen on their ability and form next year and not by parents with agendas.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
My Prediction for the Kings School 1st XV next year:

1. Daniel Lombardi (2nd's)
2. James Lynch (1sts)
3. Lucas Choi (2nds)
4. Dylan Pietsch (1sts)
5. Nick Brown (1sts)
6. Joey Skelly (1sts)
7. Charlie Ryan (1sts)
8. Matthew Orpen (1sts)
9. Will Grant (16as)
10. Jack Mann (1sts)
11. Hamish Southwell (2nds)
12. Charlie Steele-Park (2nds)
13. Sean Anese (2nds)
14. Luke Osbourne (2nds)
15. Rhys Millar (1sts)

This side will be extremely competitive in the season next year, with over half the team having played in the 1sts this year. Look out for Dylan Pietsch, a devastating ball runner unlucky to not be selected in the Australian Schoolboys this year, and a shoe in for next year. Also look out for Charlie Steele-Park, having undergone personal speed and strength training over the season and will continue through the summer, making him a possible wrecking ball in the mid field. Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the kings boys took home the premiership in 2016.

I agree with some of the team selections you've indicated above based on 2015 form and positions they've played. However there are some notable omissions which I wont be drawn into naming.

There's 8 months between now and the start of next season, including a tour to Europe, preseason trials etc etc which will allow ALL potential players to stake their claims to spots in the side. I can however predict with a great amount of certainty that anyone who thinks certain players are a lay down misere to get picked in the 2016 Kings side could end up disappointed.

I also hold great hopes that 2016 will be an even better year for the lads from Parramatta.

dollard

Frank Row (1)
It appears that a parents push for position has already begun at King's, vailed in a team prediction, which is likely to destroy, once again, any semblance of team spirit and any chance that the school has of once again becoming a force in the GPS. It seems highly unusual that the current inside centre would be named at number 8 ahead of the NSW player Pietsch who was outstanding in this position for the last part of the year or would the current 2nd XV half back Brown(2014 NSW 16s halfback) be not first considered at 9. Steel Park has been great as 2nd XV 10 this year and Mann has some work to do to recover from his knee injury. Let the boys be chosen on their ability and form next year and not by parents with agendas.
Sorry, forgot About Kyle brown-completely correct with that selection their. And also, was this forum not for speculation? - I myself am not a parent of any of the players mentioned, but of an old boy of the school and still am an avid GPS rugby supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.