• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
I can't imagine why they wouldn't field their strongest side given selectors may be there and/or reviewing the tape of the game.

seem to remember the same fixture last year, and stars were rested.

Might be just imagining that, but thought Kings won the pre season match.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
News from Joeys: Word has it that yirribi jaffer williams will be moving to flyhalf for round 1 against view, as wilkinson has injured his ankle

Re joeys. What happen to Riley A-C as a 10 option. There were people that picked him in GPS teams.

Surprised at that - he is a finisher, and a good one.

This might be opportunity for Tristan Reilly, ready made replacement. Selected as 10 for NSWPSSA back in the day and a good halfback / five-eight in league. He has gone well in the trials from 2nds XV to number 18 in 1stXV against Barker and then jumper 11 against Marist, he just needs to come down a digit and get 10 on his back where he would be closer to the ball to show his worth.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Are Scots playing their best team at this fixture?

I will tip kings on the basis they appear to have a stronger side then 2015, and seem to have some good pre-season form. Scots are a bit unknown, very different side to last year and could not be as strong as 2015.

I don't think Scots will be as strong as last year. 5 of last year's team made NSW under 20s this year and of them 2 made Australian under 20s. But they will still have a competitive team.

Kings, you say, are looking stronger than last year but they did finish 5th.

Whether Kings improvement will be enough to bridge the gap is of course the key question and the reason why I look forward to tomorrow so eagerly.

Yep it is a trial and last year's trial between the two teams proved to be a poor competition predictor.

But I reckon tomorrow will be a close one and a clear indication of how even this year's comp is likely to be.

S

sidelineview

Sorry to sound like a "Boring Old Fart" but I hope the issue of red and yellow cards will not be an event, between these two great Rugby Schools. Rugby is losing too many players to soccer for a whole host of reasons. A bad sporting imagine of thuggery, will only intensify these losses to the round ball game. Rugby, needs to be promoted as the game of the Universities, Our Defence Forces and above all the " Top End Of Town Game" ( Quote From John O'Neil when here was head of the ARU) regarding our business elites.

What separates us from soccer,or at least the Western Sydney Wanders, and Rugby league is the perception, that our game is the preserve of the gentrified Professional Middle Class.

Of course reality is sometimes very different, but at least we can hope that our imagine although appearing to be elitist, will continue to have an appeal as a Gentleman's Game. Nevertheless,I should also stress that our game is open to all who wish to play it and value its old world appeal.

Bogans are welcome to disagree

Oh dear ..... the class distinctions ... isn't that considered to be politically incorrect these days old boy? Although political correctness is being flogged to death these days, I admit.
I was nearly too frightened to reply for fear of being labelled a bogan, but here goes anyway. No doubt the last line was written with your tongue firmly planted in cheek ... nice one. Amusing.
If I recall correctly, in this game last season the referee lost control of the game and issued far too many cards. Red cards are one thing but yellow cards can be issued because a referee hasn't taken control well enough. To assume the issuing of cards is because of ''thuggery'' is making an assumption, especially with schoolboy rugby.
One of the appealing aspects of schoolboy rugby is that it can be so raw and honest and players can get a rush of blood.. it happens because they are schoolboys. Straight out "thuggery" is a different kettle of fish, especially these days.
And when you compare what you consider to be outside the parameters of the "Top end of Town'', that is, soccer and the Wanderers and rugby league in general are you talking about crowd behaviour or player mentality?
As you so graciously concede, that Rugby is open to all who wish to participate in the Gentleman's Game, have you not considered the tough men who have played the game in the past? Those who belonged to the ''Top end of Town'' but still were issued cards in the heat of the battle competing for their Countries and States and Clubs in a contact sport. Was that ''thuggery''? and did the leather patch brigade tut tut it? or applaud it?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
OK enough talk about foul play in games or alleged foul play.

There are four areas at least that we should not write about in a schoolboy forum because they incite abuse whether that be direct or sarcastic.

1. Scholarship issues (use only the scholarship thread for this).

2. Fights - and whose fault it was and "I was at the ground and this is what I saw…" comments.

3. Foul play - and whose fault it was and whether or not it was deliberate and whether of not the punishment was condign, or not - and "I was at the ground and this is what I saw…" comments..

4. Criticism of the referees who are trying their best and are mostly good.

And it doesn't matter if you're right

The season is about to start and mods like Cyclopath and myself, but especially Hugh Jarse, the boss of the schools' threads, will just delete such posts in the future and not necessarily with any explanation.

And this will be done if only a part of a post is untoward - we will zap the lot.

People are encouraged to use the Report function if they see transgressions.

Thank you all.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
[Content in post removed by mod. No names please, These are minors.]

actually I think View v Waves should be a pretty reasonable game ... better than recent years when it was a carve up (even with Hutchinson in ths stands)

I particularly like this years Waverley's backs and sounds like View has some pretty good backs too

so should be an entertaining game ... particularly with a dry track ... with the rain having failed to materialise :)

still I think the Knox v Joeys match is the match of the round .... so sidesteppa could you please attend the View match so I can watch both :)

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
I thought it prudent to delete my first response to your interpretation of thuggery and a rush of blood to the Head. As it involved events from the N?/ W? Game. But what I will say that a punch to another person be in the Pub, on the Rugby Field or School Playground is an act of thuggery. To state otherwise runs risk of glorifying sporting violence and even justifying it. That is unacceptable by any standards, particularly schoolboy rugby. To excuse it as raw and honest passion, is completely irresponsible and shameful. There are people in prison because they had a sudden rush of "Blood to the Head", not just for assault but manslaughter. Just ask the family of Thomas Kelly.

One of the beauties of our game is to educate boys in teamwork,leadership and personal responsibility. I been told that St.Augustines started playing Rugby as opposed to League was to bring a more gentrified culture to their school.

And yes thuggery does occur in our game. But the Hard Men that you mentioned, are not all honourable men. In one of the 1968 Wallabies v the All Blacks games, Ken Catchpole had his playing career ended in an act of thuggery.Also I don't think Paul Crozier's nose would appreciate your comments either. As the person concerned was low by nature and by name.

Nevertheless, I accept your point that is a difference between a player receiving a card and being a thug. My passion may have got the better of me particularly as a Newington supporter following that Game that should not have mentioned. On that I will conclude that passion in the Game does mean we to tolerate, let alone accept thuggery.

And just by the way and friend of mine who once worked on the gates at the Sydney Football Stadium, always said that Rugby Patrons were better behaved than their soccer and league counter-parts. Both as spectators and players.

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
My apologies if my last post broke your stated aims, but I only just completed it, when I saw your post.

OK - apology accepted

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
Stay on message, lets not talk about the Biff, there are games to be played tomorrow.

No team lists posted as yet.

My mail is that Shore will be unchanged from the side that took on Cranbrook, excepting for Burrows is in the head knock bin and Doyle (brother of James) will play 7, I thinks.

Whispers are that Barker may have a few out of their Firsts, but cant get any posts from CAS either to confirm.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Joeys 1sts Team List V Knox

1 Holley
2 Vivers
3 Yates
4 Edstein-Boyes
5 Spooenr
6 Ashurst
7 Dalton
8 Tuinakavadra
9 Dowling
10 Wilkinson
11 Day
12 Reilly
13 Jaffer-Williams
14 Tse
15 McTaggart

Excited to hear how Triston Reilly goes. Was part of the coaching team when he played NSW PSSA

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Re the Joeys squad, I recall watching Paddy Dalton had a cracking game in the 2nds against Barker and noted that he would walk into a CAS squad. Nice to see he has been promoted. There are actually a few changes in the Joeys 1st XV from the team that played Barker. Also promoted from the 2nds is Tse,Day & Dowling.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Stay on message, lets not talk about the Biff, there are games to be played tomorrow.

No team lists posted as yet.

My mail is that Shore will be unchanged from the side that took on Cranbrook, excepting for Burrows is in the head knock bin and Doyle (brother of James) will play 7, I thinks.

Whispers are that Barker may have a few out of their Firsts, but cant get any posts from CAS either to confirm
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.