• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/AAGPS-2016-Fixtures-for-web-16nov2015.pdf

The fixtures only list GPS 1st, 2nd and 3rd XV Representative teams.

Is this a sign that the GPS Blue and White experiment has been scrapped?

In my opinion, it was a bit ridiculous to name 4 sides in the first place (plus an extra full team of reserves). A lot of the kids named in those sides didn't even end up maintaining their spots in their respective school's 1st XV teams.

Although I'm all for giving everyone a go, I think its best to have the best of the best representing GPS at the NSW Carnivals.

I think you'll find the presence of those 2 extra GPS teams was to fill spots in the draw after a couple of associations dropped out and it gave the weaker associations an extra game at a reasonably competitive level. IIRC Country Schools dropped out and CAS didn't pick a 3rds team. So I think that the GPS were doing the others a bit of a favour rather that GPS getting some extra privilege.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
I am disappointed that despite AAGPS athletics having been pushed back, there really isn't much of an improvement to the pre-season match ups

yes, Joeys will still face off against Knox, and now there will be no excuses that they are missing their stars

and there are a few new games of interest ... Cranbrook versus Kings?

however none of the GPS schools have been brave enough to match up against rugby powerhouse St Augustines

I am calling them chicken ... ever since Scots copped a flogging, none of them are game ... IMHO

Joeys in particular ... would like to see them take on some real rivals ... guess they are just stinging for a premiership, and getting beat up in the pre-season isn't going to do them any favours in a 2 round comp

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^It's the two round competitions that all of the associations have now adopted which limits the number of cross-association fixtures. When they each played each other once there were 6 or 8 weeks for the cross-association matches to happen. There's now 2 weeks.

tight hamstring

Frank Nicholson (4)
SDW

Not sure about other GPS schools but View played Auggies in 2014 ( winning easily ) and 2015 ( losing by 5 points ) and without the athletes . Further to QH , given it was a 2 round comp last year , the reason for fewer trials is the earlier start of the competition ie when athletics used to be on .

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^Season (for all associations) also finish earlier to allow for athletics to run for the last part of term 3.

There's only a limited number of weeks between the end of rowing and the beginning of athletics. 10 of those weeks are taken up with 2 rounds of matches, so there's only 2 or 3 Saturdays left for trial matches.

(Disclosure - I've always been against the 2 round format for the reason that it limits cross-association fixture)

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)
SDW

Not sure about other GPS schools but View played Auggies in 2014 ( winning easily ) and 2015 ( losing by 5 points ) and without the athletes . Further to QH , given it was a 2 round comp last year , the reason for fewer trials is the earlier start of the competition ie when athletics used to be on .
Shore played them last year. I'm told the game was a cracker. They lost 10 - nil. Shore without the athletes. Not sure why you think st Augustine is the only other school that would challenge Joeys.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There should be a lot more schoolboys 10s comps, or matches. It's a much better game for those learning the code than 7s as there're proper scrums and lineouts.

Wasn't there a Macquarie Uni Schoolboys 10s carnival some years ago?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There should be a lot more schoolboys 10s comps, or matches. It's a much better game for those learning the code than 7s as there're proper scrums and lineouts.

Wasn't there a Macquarie Uni Schoolboys 10s carnival some years ago?

You are correct there was a 10s carnival held at Macquarie Uni for a few years in late 90s - early 00s. I think it was called the International Schoolboy 10s or some such title. The standard was high and they attracted teams from around the world. It was around that time that I thought that 10s was going to eclipse 7s as the short form of rugby, but it didn't go that way.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I am disappointed that despite AAGPS athletics having been pushed back, there really isn't much of an improvement to the pre-season match ups

yes, Joeys will still face off against Knox, and now there will be no excuses that they are missing their stars

and there are a few new games of interest . Cranbrook versus Kings?

however none of the GPS schools have been brave enough to match up against rugby powerhouse St Augustines

I am calling them chicken . ever since Scots copped a flogging, none of them are game . IMHO

Joeys in particular . would like to see them take on some real rivals . guess they are just stinging for a premiership, and getting beat up in the pre-season isn't going to do them any favours in a 2 round comp
You really seem to have something against Joeys don't you?
The primary reason these kids are at school is to learn.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
St Augs are a big fish in a very small pond. I'd back the rugby programme at Joeys ahead of any school anywhere.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
St Augs are a big fish in a very small pond. I'd back the rugby programme at Joeys ahead of any school anywhere.

Riverview also played and quite easily beat St Augustines in 2013. So to the best of my knowledge it has been 2013, 2014 easy wins to Riverview and a close loss in 2015 with View's Aus schoolboy #10 at least not playing, I think there were also some forwards missing that day through injury but I cant be sure. Sy Augustines are a strong rugby school, but on average they might be around mid table year to year, no better.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
just for the record ... I am a massive fan of Joeys rugby ... you wouldn't have to trawl far back to find complimentary posts

however I love them the way I love the All Blacks ... they have for decades been the most entertaining and the most successful schoolboy rugby

however they are that good, that I love to see them beat fair and square

and my only criticism of some elements of Joeys is "boy they take it seriously" ... when they were robbed ... and sometimes they have been ... you sure hear about

but then again that is because I am close mates with a number of Joeys blokes

however the better players these Joeys blokes were, the less they go on

Darren Junee ... doesn't even push his son ... has the maturity to let him follow his own passion

anyway what I do say is St Augustines rugby is way better than middle of the pack ... the 15As destroyed Joeys last year, and from what I hear this years 1s are going to be as good as ever

shame no one will be matching up

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
anyway what I do say is St Augustines rugby is way better than middle of the pack . the 15As destroyed Joeys last year, and from what I hear this years 1s are going to be as good as ever

Not sure if that is correct. Augustine's won by less than a converted try and my information is that without Albert Hopoate scoring two individual tries, Joeys would have won reasonably comfortably. The same Augustine's team lost to Riverview.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not sure if that is correct. Augustine's won by less than a converted try and my information is that without Albert Hopoate scoring two individual tries, Joeys would have won reasonably comfortably. The same Augustine's team lost to Riverview.

As previously mentioned suggest you check the team sheet when Augustine's got beat by river view . They have 8 players in the manly Harold matts team which some of those didn't play. There wouldn't be one kid from either joeys or river view that would start in the manly matts team otherwise they would be there. If those same 8 boys get the same training as what they get at manly Harold matts in the union rep teams I can assure u they will be making all the rep teams this year. I hope these boys do go to the trials as there will be many rep players from this year that will not be sighted. Lehman hopate Wilson Lissick , Sean v , Libby and o'toole are the boys I suggest u watch out for if they trial. Lehman and hopate are also in the nsw state of orgin squad. Yes rugby is different to league but when u get the elite players and right coaching these boys are standouts and union should be more pro active in keeping these boys in the game at an earlier stage rather league player managers scouting all the best schoolboys players first.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
As previously mentioned suggest you check the team sheet when Augustine's got beat by river view . They have 8 players in the manly Harold matts team which some of those didn't play. There wouldn't be one kid from either joeys or river view that would start in the manly matts team otherwise they would be there. If those same 8 boys get the same training as what they get at manly Harold matts in the union rep teams I can assure u they will be making all the rep teams this year. I hope these boys do go to the trials as there will be many rep players from this year that will not be sighted. Lehman hopate Wilson Lissick , Sean v , Libby and o'toole are the boys I suggest u watch out for if they trial. Lehman and hopate are also in the nsw state of orgin squad. Yes rugby is different to league but when u get the elite players and right coaching these boys are standouts and union should be more pro active in keeping these boys in the game at an earlier stage rather league player managers scouting all the best schoolboys players first.

Most if not all of the boys that you mention are committed to league and have been so since before they started high school. They've been playing together for Beacon Hill since they were about 9 years old. All those boys played v Joeys and there was less than a try in it. Yes they are a talented group of players, but are you seriously suggesting that the Manly Harold Matts team is the only place where talented 15 year olds want to play?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Most if not all of the boys that you mention are committed to league and have been so since before they started high school. They've been playing together for Beacon Hill since they were about 9 years old. All those boys played v Joeys and there was less than a try in it. Yes they are a talented group of players, but are you seriously suggesting that the Manly Harold Matts team is the only place where talented 15 year olds want to play?

My point is comparing the calibre of player at Augustine's compared to river view and joeys . As I said the boys in river view and joeys wouldn't get at game in there matts starting team but you will find some of those augs boys will get a start in the rep union teams.
As for suggesting manly Harold matts team is the only place where talented players go is NOT correct , saying that enderman (new), savala(scots), simmy(new) and titmuss are all fair players as well. The quality of players and coaching at ANY of the matts teams is lengths better than what I watched at the rep carnivals with nsw u15s not winning a game . This why little Jonny will get upset this year when the big boys come to town and trial and are too good, I just hope that all the talented matts players trial and get a taste of heavens game and enjoy there experience when making reps next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.