• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithandwesson

Peter Burge (5)
Skill level way down i believe in comparison. Majority of tries have been scored on broken play attack as opposed constructed attack. Defense has never really been put to the test as result.
Winning sides of past 3 years had much better structure to their play and more ruthless to put away opposition mistakes..
Mid field attack is poor and unable to shift point of attack as efficiently as previous years.

Don't get me wrong makes for a better comp due to how close it is however individual skill level not as strong. To much one out not team play. Most wins have come about to one out play vs team play

Just my opinion
Wrong, the skill level is equally high. It's just that the teams are more equal. Majority tries from broken play is because of the closeness, not a lack of skill. The faster you have to play a set move and the better the oppo defence, the more likely you are to spill the ball etc.
"
Overall very poor game. Outside of closeness both teams left plenty out there Too side ways from both 10s to capitalise out wide. Don't get Riverview 12 defending on the wing. Just make 11 piraña your 12 worked much better

View back row much stronger
Wrong again, it was a good game, very tough, between two very skilled sides who ran the ball fairly often on a wet surface. View got off to a flier, but Kings did enormously well to get back into it. Kicking went badly for Lenehan yesterday but not for lack of skill, he is a fine kicker most days.
I guess runpassquibble won't be watching the GPS comp any more this year due to his disappointment with the standard, but i think everyone else will turnout.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
Wrong, the skill level is equally high. It's just that the teams are more equal. Majority tries from broken play is because of the closeness, not a lack of skill. The faster you have to play a set move and the better the oppo defence, the more likely you are to spill the ball etc.
" Wrong again, it was a good game, very tough, between two very skilled sides who ran the ball fairly often on a wet surface. View got off to a flier, but Kings did enormously well to get back into it. Kicking went badly for Lenehan yesterday but not for lack of skill, he is a fine kicker most days.
I guess runpassquibble won't be watching the GPS comp any more this year due to his disappointment with the standard, but i think everyone else will turnout.

At first thoughts I went away thinking that the competition had gone back a couple of pegs, compared to the Scots 2014 side and Newington 2015 (I didn't see the Scots side last year). But I agree with above, except for the first 10 minutes both teams kind of cancelled each other out, with Riverview's backs looking dangerous and the Kings back row (particularly Pietsch) causing havoc. Was quite tense as well, and was a great game played in great spirits. Atmosphere was incredible as well - a credit to all boys!

Interesting new Kings war cry ...

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Scots seem to have a lot of depth this year in the opens. I've been told by a couple of people that no one will beat their seconds.

The reason is simple. The seconds have been a stable team since year 7. I have been told by one Scots family yesterday some boys do not wish to play for Smith. I was at the games yesterday and the TSC 2nds were superb and showed what 5 seasons together can do. I also saw coach Smith's scream at his players late in the game. From where I was I thought I heard some very "grownup" words used. He did this is front of mainly Scots supporters. One sitting next to me said he never saw Blackburn do this and was not impressed with the behaviour. It was a poor look for a schoolboy coach.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it's eminently possible.
Scots have a solid base.
Potentially the best pack in the competition.
Stable at the set piece with 4 or 5 highly mobile individuals with tremendous work rates.
Their backline defence is good and has been getting better.
They have improved in each successive round so far.
What continues to let them down is their kicking.
Tactically weak and often an ill advised gift of possession back to the opposition.
When they hold on to the ball they wear oppositions down.
An old coach of mine used to rollout a statistic that the team with 60% of possession wins 90% of games. No idea if it's true but I wouldn't be surprised.
If Scots hold on to the ball and run everything they will win next week.
If they kick too often and provide ball in broken play to the talented Riverview backs...they will lose.
I believe it's entirely in their hands (or not)..

I think Riverviews forwards are stronger than Scots'... If they continue to kick badly (as you said) then Riverview will punish them..

I know it's not strong evidence, but in the trial game Riverview's forwards outplayed Scots' bar a few infringements that they were penalised for, whereas the View backs didn't enough ball to showcase their talent that would on display in the following weeks. However, a lot has changed since then, and I fully expect it to be a tough game for both sides

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
2016 AAGPS Draw & Results for 1st XV, 2nd XV, and 3rd XV games

Round 1 7 May 16
1st XV – N 32 def by K 40, J 15 def by I 17, E 13 def by S 25
2nd XV – N 8 def by K 26, J 24 def by I 29, E 5 def by S 29
3rd XV -Trial 3 – N 7 def by K 14, E 7 def by S 22, J 29 def G 24, A 33 def H 0, I bye

R1 1st XV Scoring:
Try: Turner (N) 2, Helu (N), Duvall (N), Pietsch (K) 2, Brown (K), Anese (K), Osborne (K), Reilly (I), McTaggart (I), Lenehan (J), Rorke (J), Hedley (E), O'Beirne (S) 2, Crawford (S), Burnett (S)
Conv: Simmonson (N) 2, Brown (K) 3, Day (I), Lenehan (J) 2, Sinclair (E), Burnett (S)
Pen: Simmonson (N), Brown (K) 3, Day (I), Lenehan (J), Sinclair (E) 2, Burnett (S)
ref: Results Round 1 2016
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Results-Round-1-2016.docx

R1 Tipping Comp Winning Combo: KISKIS

Round 2 14 May 16
1st XV – K 31 def S 13, E 10 def by J 33, N 30 def by I 44
2nd XV – K 10 def by S 44, E 7 def by J 36, N 25 def I 22
3rd XV – Round 1 – K 17 def S 12, I 17 def by J 29, N 6 def H 0, A 35 def G 0, E bye

1st XV Table
K 4 pts, I 4 pts, S 2 pts, J 2 pts, N 0 pts, E 0 pts

2nd XV Table
S 4 pts, I 2 pts, J 2 pts, K 2 pts, N 2 pts, E 0 pts

3rd XV Table
A 2 pts, J 2 pts, N 2 pts, K 2 pts, S 0 pts, H 0 pts, I 0 pts, G 0 pts, E 0 pts

R2 1st XV Scoring:
Try: Pietsch (K) 2, Brown K (K), Steele-Park (K) , Crawford (S) 2, Haskins (E), Day (J) 2, Ryley (J), Jaffer-Williams (J), McTaggart (J), Smeallie (I) 2, Lenehan (I) 2, Terry (I) Fenn (I) , Duvall (N) 2, Miller (N), Turner (N), Gilfedder (N)
Conversion: Brown K (K) 4 , Sinclair (E), Day (J) 4, Lenehan (I) 4, Simonsson (N)
Pen: Brown K (K) , Burnett (S), Sinclair (E), Lenehan (I) 2, Simonsson (N)
Ref: Results Round 2 2016
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Results-Round-2-2016.docx

R2 Tipping Comp Winning Combo: KJISJNKJNA

Round 3 21 May 16
1st XV – K 24 def J 18, I 47 def E 21, S 36 def N 20
2nd XV – K 10 def by J 16, I 29 def E 12, S 32 def N 10
3rd XV – Round 2 - K 3 def by A 5, S 22 def J 21, H 12 def by E 36, I 7 def by G 28, N bye

1st XV Table
I 6 pts, K 6 pts, S 4 pts, J 2 pts, N 0 pts, E 0 pts

2nd XV Table
S 6 pts, I 4 pts, J 4 pts, K 2 pts, N 2 pts, E 0 pts

3rd XV Table
A 4 pts, J 2 pts, N 2 pts, K 2 pts, S 2 pts, G 2 pts, E 2 pts, H 0 pts, I 0 pts

R3 1st XV Scoring:
Try: Lynch (K), Brown N (K),Dowling (J), Day (J), Rorke (I) 3, Terry (I), Williams (I), Pirina (I), Smeallie (I), Edwards (E), Stinson (E), Joyce (E), Yassim (S), Gavin (S), Green (S), Ridley (S), Penalty Try (S), Simmonson (N) 2, Haldane (N), Duvall (N)
Conversion: Brown K (K), Day (J), Fahy (I) 5, Clarke (I), Sinclair (E) 3, Shannon (S) 4
Pen: Brown K (K) 4, Day (J) 2, Shannon (S)

Ref: Results Round 3 2016
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Results-Round-3-2016.docx

R3 Tipping Comp Winning Combo: KISJISASEG

Round 4 28 May 16
1st XV – I 24 def K 13, J 18 def by S 21, N 26 def E 19
2nd XV – I 20 def K 0, J 5 def by S 34, N 31 def E 7
3rd XV – Round 3 – N 0 def by K 3, J 45 def H 0, G 31 def E 0, A 13 def S 12, I bye

1st XV Table
I 8 pts, K 6 pts, S 6 pts, J 2 pts, N 2 pts, E 0 pts

2nd XV Table
S 8 pts, I 6 pts, J 4 pts, N 4 pts, K 2 pts, E 0 pts

3rd XV Table
A 6 pts, J 4 pts, K 4 pts, G 4 pts, S 2 pts, N 2 pts, E 2 pts, I 0 pts, H 0 pts

R4 1st XV Scoring:
Try: Cutler (I), Pirina (I), Smeallie (I) 2, Osborne (K), Ryley (J), Tse (J), Collard (E), Suttor (E), Haskins (E), Yassim (S), Gavin (S), Jeavons (S), Poidevin (N), Lynch (N), Lawson (N), Taukamo (N)
Conversion: Osborne (K), Lenehan (I) 2, Day (J), Kuenzle (N) 3, Sheehan (E) 2, Shannon (S) 3
Pen: Osborne (K) 2, Day (J) 2

Ref: Results Round 4 2016
http://aagps.nsw.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Results-Round-4-2016.docx

R4 Tipping Comp Winning Combo: ISNISNKJGA

Fixtures to Come
Round 5 4 Jun 16
1st XV – E v K, J v N, S v I
2nd XV – E v K, J v N, S v I
3rd XV – Round 4 – H v K, E v J, I v A, G v N, S bye

Round 6 18 Jun 16
1st XV – K v N, I v J, S v E
2nd XV – K v N, I v J, S v E
3rd XV – Round 5 – J v G, S v E, H v I, A v N, K bye

Round 7 23 Jul 16
1st XV – S v K, J v E, I v N
2nd XV – S v K, J v E, I v N
3rd XV – Round 6 – G v K, A v E, I v N, S v H, J bye

Round 8 30 Jul 16
1st XV – J v K, E v I, N v S
2nd XV – J v K, E v I, N v S
3rd XV – Round 7 – J v K, E v I, N v S, H v A, G bye

Round 9 06 Aug 16
1st XV – K v I, S v J, E v N
2nd XV – K v I, S v J, E v N
3rd XV – Round 8 – K v I, J v A, E v N, S v G, H bye

Round 10 13 Aug 16
1st XV – K v E, N v J, I v S
2nd XV – K v E, N v J, I v S
3rd XV – Round 9 – K v E, N v J, I v S, H v G, A bye

AAGPS Rep Calendar
18 Jun 16 Representative Teams Selected and announced on AAGPS website (7pm)
19 Jun 16 Representative Teams Uniform Issue, Training & Photographs
20 Jun 16 Representative Teams Training, Dinner
21 Jun 16 AAGPS 2nd XV v CAS 2nd XV, AAGPS 1st XV v CAS 2nd XV
23 Jun 16 1st XV, 2nd XV, 3rd XV Training
24 Jun 16 2nd XV v CHS 2nd XV, 1st XV v CHS 1st XV
25 Jun 16 NSWSRU Teams announced

Touch Judge

Frank Row (1)
The reason is simple. The seconds have been a stable team since year 7. I have been told by one Scots family yesterday some boys do not wish to play for Smith. I was at the games yesterday and the TSC 2nds were superb and showed what 5 seasons together can do. I also saw coach Smith's scream at his players late in the game. From where I was I thought I heard some very "grownup" words used. He did this is front of mainly Scots supporters. One sitting next to me said he never saw Blackburn do this and was not impressed with the behaviour. It was a poor look for a schoolboy coach.
Joker, I think your handle should be Stirer. I don't think any aspect of your last comments have any basis in truth.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
All the coaches are much same ... Hard to stand mute

Try standing near riverview's coach ... And you'd think he only cares about one thing , and player well being doesn't seem that high on his short term agenda

They all just caught up in the moment

Some worse than others

I have a bigger issue with some parents (often high profile)who week in week out , set a terrible example giving it to match officials

You wouldn't do it at your daughters netball

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
All the coaches are much same . Hard to stand mute

Try standing near riverview's coach . And you'd think he only cares about one thing , and player well being doesn't seem that high on his short term agenda

Some worse than others

I have a bigger issue with some parents (often high profile)who week in week out , set a terrible example giving it to match officials

It is hard to stand mute, but people with self-discipline find a way to do it. Part of the responsibility that goes with coaching kids is setting an example.

George Grant

Ward Prentice (10)
Leading Try Scorers thus far:

Light Blue: Kings
Darker Blue: Riverview
Grey: Shore
Yellow: Scots
Pink: Joeys
Black: New

Attachments

• Leading Try Scorers.png
    Leading Try Scorers.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 447

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Round 5 Tips
KNS
KJS
KJAG

Trusty 2 Bob's Tips (from the great Season 2016 coin off)

Round 5 4 Jun 16
KJI
EJI
HJIN

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
If that be the case, it must be Brian Smith. Was petulant as a player, is petulant as a ...

Nice work, just cue Der Ring des Nibelungen

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Joker, I think your handle should be Stirer. I don't think any aspect of your last comments have any basis in truth.
Marcus Blackburn was, and is a thorough Rugby gentleman.
You should try it sometimes touch judge, instead of blindly following the sheep.

This is a schoolboy sport, that, hopefully makes better men and future leaders of our nation in business and politics.
Working blue on the sidelines is not. Even little timmy rapp did not swear. At least to where spectators heard it.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
All the coaches are much same . Hard to stand mute

Try standing near riverview's coach . And you'd think he only cares about one thing , and player well being doesn't seem that high on his short term agenda

Some worse than others

You've got me...

WTF is a "High Profile Parent"????

R

Runpasstackle

So more drop ball equates to better skill. Good call Hope you enjoy the view from your bubble.
Clearly a parent of this age group so enjoy and Bon voyage. I'll still be there enjoying the footy.

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)

What did you think of the rugby? In 1st XV?

Status
Not open for further replies.