• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CAS Rugby 2020

Lovetap

Peter Burge (5)
I was at QP in the weekend watching the Waverley trial , some interesting selections in what I thought were 1st & 2nd teams.
Some boys out of their depth and at the same time some boys really stepped up.

I do believe they trial agin this week against who I’m not sure but would anybody in the know have any idea of the 1st XV for this fixture.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Re this coming weekend.are spectators all Ok. particularly at QP1?

Any teams lists for weekend . when available?

SDW,

There are trial games against St.Augustines this Sat at QP starting from 9am on both QP1 and QP3.
The ages playing will be all in squads ie 13s,14s,15s, 16s and 2nds and 1sts (3.15pm). (no other Opens teams)

Whilst spectating won't be encouraged, being a public park, you will be able to walk around and view, lots of people will be doing that.
Lovetap asked about a 1sts team, it appears as though, other than a few obvious spots, it is a moving feast day by day.
I suspect Sat will probably firm things up for the Cranbrook game CAS Round 1 the following Sat July 18 at Dangar, 1sts and 2nds only, 1sts at 3.15pm.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
WLF, thank you ... you the man. I’ll be walking my dog in circuits at QP

Auggies is a great rugby school ... and hope the game isn’t played too much as a trial

Re Dangar ... how they going to have a game there? I thought that was a soceer field with a tiny seating area?

Anyways hope that Mexican wall is holding tight ... don’t need Corona coming north

Is Pappa still the augies coach?

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
WLF, thank you . you the man. I’ll be walking my dog in circuits at QP

Auggies is a great rugby school . and hope the game isn’t played too much as a trial

Re Dangar . how they going to have a game there? I thought that was a soceer field with a tiny seating area?

Anyways hope that Mexican wall is holding tight . don’t need Corona coming north

Is Pappa still the augies coach?

Ha Ha, Dogs can come in handy sometimes!

Yep Auggies will be strong contenders in all age groups.

Dangar has been completely re-grassed by Cranbrook before the last Cricket Season, it is tremendous, and will be a nice Rugby ground for these 2 Opens games, 2s and 1s.

Don't know about the Auggies coach, Sat will confirm, will see you at QP if you come, hunt me out.

Walshy81

Sydney Middleton (9)
"Dangar has been completely re-grassed by Cranbrook before the last Cricket Season, it is tremendous"

I just noticed this from WLF - great news!

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
a spy tells me it's a debacle at Dangar ... in terms of it's a lock-out ... and so no-where to view ... signage that parents are to remain in their cars

and as the field is set up on far side to Woollahra Oval ... there is simply no viewing options

so hopefully it's NOT going to be same for Waverley game ... as they would be better to move the fixture to QP1

apparently Brook looking surprisingly slick ... although I'll be curious to see how they fare against Waverley's forward pack. WLF ;)

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
a spy tells me it's a debacle at Dangar . in terms of it's a lock-out . and so no-where to view . signage that parents are to remain in their cars

and as the field is set up on far side to Woollahra Oval . there is simply no viewing options

so hopefully it's NOT going to be same for Waverley game . as they would be better to move the fixture to QP1

apparently Brook looking surprisingly slick . although I'll be curious to see how they fare against Waverley's forward pack. WLF

;)

Your baiting has worked well SDW,

There is NO way Cranbrook would move to Death Valley next week, and YES the viewing is possible, but that is not a consideration palatable for them I am sure,bring your dog tomorrow v Auggies!

In regards to the 1sts game, yep not surprised Cranbrook looked slick TODAY, looks like a great game next week v the Waves!
:p

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Just back from watching the opposed trial Barker v Newington at Hornsby. Apologies to the Newington readers but no programs were supplied so names are missing. The opposed run was pretty standard, with coaches and refs keeping things structured in terms of drills. Sizing both teams up, Newington were 8kg per man bigger in the forwards and probably 4kg per man bigger in the backs. How this imbalance played out was going to be interesting.

When drills finished and the last 30 min of proper rugby got under way it became very clear the Reds pack were very dominant. In the set piece, Barker was monstering the Newington pack, so much so that the ref went to uncontested scrums on Newington’s feed, just so their backs got clean ball. On Barker feeds, it was contested. Also the New lineout needs work, with throws finding the Red jumper more often than not.

Newingtons backs were better. The 9/10 combo worked better than the Reds and their 15 and left wing are dangerous. The New tries came from an uncontested scrum win 10m out and getting clean ball wide quickly.

Barker though, still looked pretty good. Barker is fortunate to have 4, 1st XV quality front rowers while there 2nd row is very dogged. Both Green (4) and Hooper(5), were doing plenty in defence and Green was noticeable with the ball with several great carries. Ben Randal(8) and Mitch Wheels(7) played really well. These guys are very prominent at the breakdown and Wheels takes 3 guys to stop him with ball in hand. When Dan Stovold (6 Capt,rested) returns, the Barker back row is looking good.
In the backs, Ben Graham at 10, centres Joe Kennedy and Liam Jones are developing into a sound defensive unit, while on attack, they really test the line. Conditions for the back three made it harder, especially as the Barker ball came from a contested forwards situation. Our wingers never really found enough space with clean ball, because the wet greasy conditions hampering slick wide passes. Defensively though Kyle Bowen(15) is very robust, pulling off some try saving tackle including one where the Newington lad had crossed the chalk but had not grounded the ball.

All up if this was a proper 70 minute game, I reckon the fitness and structure in the Barker forwards would have given the Barker backs enough ball to score points and also disrupt enough of the ball going to better Newington backs to make up the difference. I think Barker was probably a 2 try better side than Newington based on what was on display at Hornsby.
I have not seen much of how the other CAS schools are faring, but Barker has a competitive side. The forwards are coming together nicely and will provide a platform for secure first phase ball for the backs.
The backs still need time to get the timing right, but from what I have seen not one player looks out of his depth as a 1st XV player, and given the 2nds and U16s played out draws today, the depth seems to be there so competition for Red jerseys for the season proper will be on.

Flavio

Ward Prentice (10)
Agree, Barker defense fast into position but some big boys at Newington, conditions were slippery and a pain in the arse to have to watch from though the fence, can't see why they couldn't let in the 20 or so spectators

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Rod, I always enjoy your input, however u are very one eyed to Barker

So trying not to do same for Waves v Auggies

Before match I thought what a size mismatch... with Waves significantly larger pack

However Auggies play well above their weight

They recycled possession so well in first half

And they put first try on the board... and only resolute defence kept out more

Waves eventually worked their way into game ... and brought scores back to 7-7

Was shaping up to be great arm wrestle

Auggies very effective at breakdown

A brain explosion in the in goal saw Auggies in for their second

However slowly in felt that Waves sheer size took its toll

Waves as always prepared to play razzle dazzle and hit back with successive tries

Waves 15 who I think is in his 3rd year was the pick ...despite his in goal gift

Plus the 19 ... monster winger was impossible to contain

In terms of Auggies best would have to have been their super tall 5 ... presume he is the younger Douglas

And the Auggies 10 continues their tradition of talented fly halves

Think final score was something like 29-19 ... altgh I left early

So both teams awesome , entertaining... and while Auggies seems to lack size they are well trained and courageous

Waves to me look pretty titanic ... however a few areas to work on if they are to topple this year’s favourite... Rods red army

Black & White

Vay Wilson (31)
Just back from watching the opposed trial Barker v Newington at Hornsby. Apologies to the Newington readers but no programs were supplied so names are missing. The opposed run was pretty standard, with coaches and refs keeping things structured in terms of drills. Sizing both teams up, Newington were 8kg per man bigger in the forwards and probably 4kg per man bigger in the backs. How this imbalance played out was going to be interesting.

When drills finished and the last 30 min of proper rugby got under way it became very clear the Reds pack were very dominant. In the set piece, Barker was monstering the Newington pack, so much so that the ref went to uncontested scrums on Newington’s feed, just so their backs got clean ball. On Barker feeds, it was contested. Also the New lineout needs work, with throws finding the Red jumper more often than not.

Newingtons backs were better. The 9/10 combo worked better than the Reds and their 15 and left wing are dangerous. The New tries came from an uncontested scrum win 10m out and getting clean ball wide quickly.

Barker though, still looked pretty good. Barker is fortunate to have 4, 1st XV quality front rowers while there 2nd row is very dogged. Both Green (4) and Hooper(5), were doing plenty in defence and Green was noticeable with the ball with several great carries. Ben Randal(8) and Mitch Wheels(7) played really well. These guys are very prominent at the breakdown and Wheels takes 3 guys to stop him with ball in hand. When Dan Stovold (6 Capt,rested) returns, the Barker back row is looking good.
In the backs, Ben Graham at 10, centres Joe Kennedy and Liam Jones are developing into a sound defensive unit, while on attack, they really test the line. Conditions for the back three made it harder, especially as the Barker ball came from a contested forwards situation. Our wingers never really found enough space with clean ball, because the wet greasy conditions hampering slick wide passes. Defensively though Kyle Bowen(15) is very robust, pulling off some try saving tackle including one where the Newington lad had crossed the chalk but had not grounded the ball.

All up if this was a proper 70 minute game, I reckon the fitness and structure in the Barker forwards would have given the Barker backs enough ball to score points and also disrupt enough of the ball going to better Newington backs to make up the difference. I think Barker was probably a 2 try better side than Newington based on what was on display at Hornsby.
I have not seen much of how the other CAS schools are faring, but Barker has a competitive side. The forwards are coming together nicely and will provide a platform for secure first phase ball for the backs.
The backs still need time to get the timing right, but from what I have seen not one player looks out of his depth as a 1st XV player, and given the 2nds and U16s played out draws today, the depth seems to be there so competition for Red jerseys for the season proper will be on.

Excellent Report even if you are a Barker Supporter,Rod.Nice here to hear that New backs are looking dangerous again this year.. You mentioned one was a Winger, could be our Australian School School Representative from last year. Appears, despite their larger size, that our forwards got dusted up a bit by the Barker boys. Clearly, Barker have technique in their pack.

No surprise there, as some of the Barker teams at present are class acts, having seen the 16As,2nd XV and 1st Playing Newington Last Year. Although, Beaten By New they were close games in 16s(7-5,22-19 in the 1sts and still another hard game in the 2nds, despite a larger score of 24-7.

Newington will have benefited having played a Hard game against Barker, particular early in the season. Hopefully,the future games will beplayed on drier surfaces so their respective backlines can display their true potential. As a New supporter, I wish Barker all the best in 2020.

frontrowisgreat

Bob McCowan (2)
Rod, how did the two opposing hookers fare against each other regarding scrums, lineouts and general play? I have heard they are both high level players, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Appreciate the detailed report.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Rod, how did the two opposing hookers fare against each other regarding scrums, lineouts and general play? I have heard they are both high level players, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Appreciate the detailed report.

The Barker hooker had the better game. Lineout throws hit the mark all the time. The Newington forwards need more practise. Barker won the New lineouts 50% of time. The Newington hooker has a size advantage and put on some big hits, and will be better for this run but he and his teammates need to bind tighter. Barkers scrum was square and straight and just went over the Wyvern lads.

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Excellent Report even if you are a Barker Supporter,Rod.Nice here to hear that New backs are looking dangerous again this year.. You mentioned one was a Winger, could be our Australian School School Representative from last year. Appears, despite their larger size, that our forwards got dusted up a bit by the Barker boys. Clearly, Barker have technique in their pack.

No surprise there, as some of the Barker teams at present are class acts, having seen the 16As,2nd XV and 1st Playing Newington Last Year. Although, Beaten By New they were close games in 16s(7-5,22-19 in the 1sts and still another hard game in the 2nds, despite a larger score of 24-7.

Newington will have benefited having played a Hard game against Barker, particular early in the season. Hopefully,the future games will beplayed on drier surfaces so their respective backlines can display their true potential. As a New supporter, I wish Barker all the best in 2020.

Tolutau Koula, Newingtons electric winger from 2019 and Aust schoolboy, was not playing. If he was the game would have been completely different. He is a game breaker.

Barker3peat

Stan Wickham (3)
Agree, Barker defense fast into position but some big boys at Newington, conditions were slippery and a pain in the arse to have to watch from though the fence, can't see why they couldn't let in the 20 or so spectators

Covid 19 restrictions means that we can’t let people in. Frustrating to hear complainers in the public. We do so much for the boys - stop complaining.