• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CCC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Source:
https://www.csss.nsw.edu.au/nswccc-rugby-sport-specific-information.aspx

NSWCCC RUGBY SELECTIONS
U/18 Under 18 as at 31 December 2014 (cannot turn 19)
U/16 Under 16 as at 31 December 2014 (cannot turn 17)

ELIGIBILITY
Students must be enrolled in a CSSS affiliated school
Players must attend trials to be eligible for selection.
Any player attending the NSWCCC Trial must be available, if selected, to represent NSWCCC at the NSW All Schools Rugby Trials and/or any other event at which the selected NSWCCC team is participating.

AGE ELIGIBILTY
Under 18 years - Player cannot turn 19 in the year of competition
Under 16 years - Player cannot turn 17 in the year of competition

Date
Monday 26th - Tuesday 27th May 2014
Venue
TG Milner Oval, Vimiera Road Marsfield

Closing date for nominations
Thursday 22nd May 2014

PROGRAM OF EVENTS
MONDAY 26 May
9.30am Registration
10.00am Warm Up
10.30am - 12.00pm Skills session – ARU and CCC coaches
12.00 - 1.00pm Lunch
1.00 - 3.00 Games

TUESDAY 27 May
9.00 am Warm Up
9.30 am Games
12.30pm Announcement of NSWCCC team
1.00 - 2.30pm Training for NSWCCC teams

All Under 18s fixtures are to be played on the Number 1 field.
All Under 16s fixtures are to be played on the Number 2 field.

NSWCCC RUGBY CAMP
Dates
Friday 13th - Sunday 15th June 2014
Venue
NSW Academy of Sport, Wakehurst Parkway Narrabeen

NSW CCC Team Events for the Diary
U16 YEARS
Sunday 1st June 2014
Venue: TBC - 12.15pm - 1.30pm (V CHS A/B & AICES 4 way trial)

Sunday 15th June 2014
Pittwater Rugby Park - 12.30 - 1.20pm (V ISA & CHS 3 way trial)

Rep Season is nearly upon us.

Saturday 21st - Sunday 22nd June 2014
Knox Grammar Turramurra - 8.00am - 4.00pm (tournament)

18 YEARS
Sunday 1st June 2014
Venue - TBC - 2.45 - 4.00pm (V CHS I)

Sunday 15th June 2014
Pittwater Rugby Park - 1.20 - 3.00pm (V ISA II)

Friday 20th June 2014
Knox Grammar Turramurra - 11.40am - 1.00pm (V GPS III)

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Teams were picked today after 2 days of tryouts, the standard was high and, ultimately, the players selected deserved their spots. Looking forward to hearing about their games, with one coming up against AICES & CHS on Sunday.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Source: https://www.csss.nsw.edu.au/nswccc-rugby-results.aspx

2014 NSW CCC Under 16 Representatives

Jeremy ABDULLAH, St Edwards College (Gosford)
Ryan ANDERSON, Edmund Rice College (Wollongong)
Franele BETHAM-MISA, Patrician Brothers' College (Blacktown)
Nicholas DOLLY, Marian Catholic College (Round Corner)
Andrew ELMER, Xavier Catholic College (Ballina)
Joseph FELTIS, John Paul College (Coffs Harbour)
William GRASSBY, St Edwards College (Gosford)
Jacob GREGG, John Paul College (Coffs Harbour)
Delahoya MANU, Patrician Brothers' College (Blacktown)
Billy MOMOISEA, Patrician Brothers' College (Blacktown)
Brendan NEVILLE, Holy Spirit College (Corrimal)
Tristan SAILOR, Edmund Rice College (Wollongong)
Benjamin SCHAEFER, St John's College Woodlawn (Lismore)
Darcy SEARL, St Pius X High School (Adamstown)
Lachlan STEWART, James Sheahan Catholic High School (Orange)
Zachary STRIDE, St Edwards College (Gosford)
Desmond TIPENE, Patrician Brothers' College (Blacktown)
Jeffrey TUITAVUKI, Marist College Penshurst (Mortdale)
Beni VALU, Patrician Brothers' College (Blacktown)
Deahn WANSTALL, MacKillop Catholic College (Warnevale)
Nathan WILLIAMS, Mater Maria Catholic College (Warriewood)
Mitchell WINSLADE, James Sheahan Catholic High School (Orange)

2014 NSW CCC Under 18 Representatives
1. Nathan FORD, St Josephs Catholic High (Albion Park)
2. Maxwell STEWART, St Edwards College (Gosford)
3. Francis BROWN, MacKillop Catholic College (Warnevale)
4. Tristan GREEN, Holy Spirit College (Corrimal)
5. Francis KIUTAU, St Edwards College (Gosford)
6. James WILKINSON, St Edwards College (Gosford)
7. Jock ROBERTSON-KIRKWOOD, Marist College (North Shore)
8. Josh BONES, Marist College (Eastwood)
9, Ted PYE, Trinity Catholic College (Lismore)
10. Liam BAKER, St Edwards College (Gosford)
11. Denzel SINGLETON, Marist College (Eastwood)
12. Daniel BOARDMAN, Xavier Catholic College (Ballina)
13. Dane STEPHENS, Holy Spirit (Lakemba)
14. Baileigh GRIM, St Edwards College (Gosford)
15. Kirt ANTHONY, St Edwards College (Gosford)

16. Lachlan KING, Holy Spirit College (Corrimal)
17. Kye MARSHALL, St Joseph's Regional College (Port Macquarie)
18. Nicholas CUSHAN, St John's College (Dubbo East)
19. Eamonn MOLENAAR, St Paul's High School (Booragul)
20. Josh ELLISON, Marcellin College (Randwick)
21. Sam MEEHAN, Mater Maria Catholic College (Warriewood)
22. Niko FIAPULENIKO, St Pauls Catholic College (Greystanes)
23. Andrew DAVIES, Mater Maria Catholic College (Warriewood)

Coach: Steve MITCHELL, Nick LAH Marist College (Eastwood)
Manager: Matt BARLOW, Trinity (Lismore)

Previously listed on the web site but not in the programme for CCC vs CHS
(presumed Injured)
Jonathan CHAPMAN, Holy Spirit College (Corrimal)

Edit: Open team amended with Number 6 amendments from below, and #SidelineEye programme copy..

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
2 additions for the opens team (one was left off website & the other was called in today):
Bailey Grim, St Edwards College (Gosford)
Francis Kiutau, St Edwards College (Gosford)

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Teams were picked today after 2 days of tryouts, the standard was high and, ultimately, the players selected deserved their spots. Looking forward to hearing about their games, with one coming up against AICES & CHS on Sunday.

I heard last night that AICES aren't selecting an U18s team this year for the State Champs selection trials. Is this correct? And why?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks @Number 6. I thought they had something up their sleeves when they only listed 19 players.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were another two players to be called up later to make the squad up the the 23 that I think is the maximum squad size. Perhaps the selectors have their eye on these two lads who may be currently injured and they are waiting to see if they will be fit in time.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I heard last night that AICES aren't selecting an U18s team this year for the State Champs selection trials. Is this correct? And why?

No Under 18s from AICES? Correct. Confirmed on their web site. They will only be fielding a U16 team this year.

Why? Not stated but one assumes that it is related to a duty of care responsibility. They typically play GPS III or NSW Country Schools, many of whom are very skilled athletes and rugby players. Not many AICES boys feature in village club footy or district rep teams and the games are often very one sided.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
The minions tell me that the CCC trials were extremely well attended with in excess of 100+ players nominating in each age group. Trials were run like an ARU gold style program over the 2 days with drills / skills sessions and trials etc.

I really like the look of the CCC 16's who will have a bit of mongrel based around the 5 Patrician Brothers Blacktown / Rooty Hill / Penrith lads. CCC 18's have a very good front row with 2013 Aust A late call up Francis Brown at tight head.

Look like some good squads to me!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Only 6 players from Sydney Metro in the CCC Under 18's.
2 Eastwood, 1 Greystanes, 2 Northern Beaches and 1 Randwick.

Are the Country Schools players that good, or are most of the better athletes in the CCC Metro locked up in the Loig programmes?

Any real growth in rugby grassroots will be driven from within the Schools and village clubs, particularly in that oft quoted but somewhat ill-defined entity "Sydney's West".

CHS and CCC Schools feature in this area, yet there has not been a large representation of players from "Sydney's West" in the Under 18's CCC or CHS squads. This has to be of concern to those who peddle the rhetoric about rugby's fantastic participation growth in various reports and glossy brochures.

There is a fair bit of work needed to be done by Rugby's missionaries within the CCC System, and they need to be heavily supported by Development officers and resources from Rugby HQ.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are the Country Schools players that good, or are most of the better athletes in the CCC Metro locked up in the Loig programmes?

This is a good question; I would suggest that it is a bit of both. The boys that made it were deserved of their spots and the strength of the country schools is evident in the ARU run "Coast to Country Cup", the final of which is played each year in Forster, NSW (around late term 3). This is usually dominated by St Edward's, Gosford; Xavier College, Ballina; St Pius, Adamstown; and St John's, Woodlawn: All are Catholic schools from the 'bush' beating CHS, and in some instances, Independent schools (Kinross etc.).

I put this down to dedicated teacher/coaches and the support networks available within these schools. Students are seeing better pathways thanks to regular tournaments, and the fact that the strong sports high schools with league programs rarely let their players play our beautiful game, creates more opportunities for players to reach representative level. It was, however, great to see the boys from Pats Blacktown - an extremely successful league school - make the 16s CCC side. These boys were Emus, not Panthers or Eels as others might have been in the past. Maybe the west is catching on...It's just taking a while.

In saying that, it is great to see young men who are in the league pathways play Union and excel. For the 16s there were plenty from the Harold Matthews sides that tried out. Big bopper: Will Grasby from St Edward's, Gosford and Tristan Sailor from Edmund Rice, Wollogong were standouts, yet are obviously leaguies (you may recognise the name of the latter student mentioned and yes, he too is a strong running back).

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Are there any reports from anyone? I received feedback form boys who played, yet would love to hear from a keen observer who wasn't involved.
The boys told me Jeremy Abdullah was a standout in the 16s, scoring two tries, one from a kick-off. Not too sure about individual players in the opens, but the lads seemed to think that they have the team to perform, as they competed well on the weekend.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
NSW CCC U18s team as per program at Forshaw Park 1 June 2014:

CCC U18 2014.JPG

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSWSRU U16 & U18 Selection Trials

NSWSRU U16 & U18 Trials @ Cranbrook
Thursday 5 June ‘14
CAS II V CHS II 1PM
CAS I V CHS I 2.30PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.1
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
CHS II V CNTY 12.15PM
ISA II V CCC 1.30PM
ISA I V CHS I 2.45PM

NSWSRU U16 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.2
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
AICES U16 V CCC U16 11AM
CNTY U16 V AICES U16 11.30AM
CCC U16 V CNTY U16 12 NOON
ISA U16 V CHS U16 12.30PM
ISA U16 V CHS U16 1PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ The Scots College
Tuesday, 17 June ‘14
GPS (White) v GPS (Blue) @ 12.45pm
GPS 2 V CAS 2 @ 2pm
GPS 1 V CAS 1 @ 3.15pm

Friday 20th June - Curagul Field, North Turramurra
CAS II v Country 9:00am
ISA II v GPS (Blue) 10.15am
CCC v GPS (White) 11.30pm
CAS I v ISA I 12:45pm
CHS II v GPS II 2.00pm
CHS I v GPS I 3.15pm

NSWSRU 16s Championships & Selection Trials
Saturday 21st June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 1
PRES XV A v PRES XV B 9:30am
GAME 2
ISA v Country 10:20am
GAME 3
CAS v AICES 11:10am
GAME 4
CHS v CCC Noon

Sunday 22nd June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 5
Winner Game1 v Winner Game 2 9.00pm
GAME 6
Loser Game 1 v Loser Game 2 9.50pm
GAME 7
Winner Game 3 v Winner Game 4 10.40pm
GAME 8
Loser Game 3 v Loser Game 4 11.30pm
CUP FINAL
Loser Game 6 v Loser Game 8 12.30pm
BOWL FINAL
Winner Game 6 v Winner Game 8 1.30pm
PLATE FINAL
Loser Game 5 v Loser Game 7 2.30pm
SHIELD FINAL
Winner Game 5 v Winner Game 7 3.30pm

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A fairly successful campaign from CCC this year. Tight victorys over ISA 2 and AAGPS White, after a round robin hit out against CHS I and II.

NSW Schools teams have been announced and congratulations are due for the following CCC boys and their associates who made "the cut":
NSW 2
18. THP Francis BROWN , MacKillop/CCC

Shadow
5. LL Andrew DAVIES , MMC Warriewood
15. FB Kirt ANTHONY , St Edwards Gosford
Also worthy of note are at least two ex Country & CCC boys, who have moved to "big city schools" to finish their education, have been selected for NSW 2 for Nationals: Jakob SEDGEMAN, and Nathan GITTOES.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Great to see the CCC boys do well. From an outsiders POV there seems to be plenty of value in rugby trying to cement a foothold with these schools.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great point @Harv.

Rugby is at saturation point in CAS and AAGPS. There is almost no scope for growth, and in AAGPS the numbers seem to be in a decline in some of the Member schools.

NSW Country Schools has raised the white flag.

ISA has some scope for growth, but the CCC system has some fantastic athletes in it with a strong presence in the so called growth areas, Sydney's West and South.

IMHO, the ARU and NSW RU need to increase their engagement with the CCC system, and they will potentially get a good return on their investment.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good news for some CCC boys in the Combined States Announcement.

2. James Wilkinson, St Edward’s College, Gosford

15. Kirt Anthony, St Edward’s College Gosford

Congratulations to the boys and their connections.

Colts14

Frank Row (1)
Anyone heard about the under 16s all schools team? I'm hearing that 2 boys from nswccc are a good chance for selection. Big winger beni valu, whenever he got the ball was dangerous and scored lots of tries. And big prop
Will Grassby, played full game In every match. Showed great skill for a big boy.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
16s is named in the coming weeks. Grasby and Valu should see their names in the mix; they are very skilful players and are also huge units. Jeremy Abdullah will hopefully come into contention and I imagine Tristan Sailor's name will certainly be mentioned.

On another note: There's been some bagging of the non-selections/unfairness etc regarding some CCC boys, this has to stop. I know the talent that's out there, yet also understand that whinging about unfairness etc. instead of congratulating the players that did make teams (James Wilkinson, Kirt Anthony, Francis Brown) only promotes negativity. We want the boys that miss out to use their disappointment as an opportunity to grow as young men. The resilience gained will hopefully spur them on to an 'I'll show them' attitude.

I think we are fortunate to know that rugby union in the CCC schools is growing and I think this is directly related to the positive enthusiasm of teachers giving their students opportunities into numerous rugby pathways (Gold squads, CCC trials, Coast to Country Cup tournament etc.). Let's keep the ball rolling, I know that a lot of the CCC Opens side are in year 11 so next year there could be even more selected for NSW honours, and with the Central Coast 17s side winning state, I imagine St Edward's Gosford to once again come up with a high number of reps.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
Who is looking after the Rugby side of things at St Edwards?
The teachers there were all fairly league orientated with Jason Carpenter playing in sydney in his younger days. Good on them whoever it is

Status
Not open for further replies.