• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW CHS Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I have been following this thread with interest and would like to throw up a dark horse. Michael Carr from Farrer. Big, strong and powerful with speed to burn. Plays for Farrer 1st with Batho and has played a lot of central north rugby with and against Vaessen. He missed a lot of last year with injury but used the down time to pile on the weight. He is not very well known in Sydney circles but I am picking that is about to change.

His strengths are his speed (seriously, can and has switched to outside centre) and his play at the breakdown. His defence though is his real trump card. Hits like a mack truck. Apparently the selectors at the CHS selection trials were very impressed. Earlier this year at the Vice Chancellors Cup in Armidale he decimated a couple of Qld GPS 1st hookers, some of whom I see have been touted around on some of these forums. Keep an eye out for him.

The one to keep an eye out for is Alex Batho. I know he is playing prop for CHS but he has represented NSW at hooker before (u15 and U17). if they pick him there we will have a monster front row

T

the berries

Hills were a one hit wonder in Union last year. They had a special group of players that could adapt to playing both codes where they won the Arrive Alive Cup in league and Waratah Shield in rugby using essentially the same players. Not so this year it seems.

Not so Brad. I watched ther HSHS today play at Granville Park with wins all over the age group. The younger boys are aiming up just fine. Agreed 2010 was a gogreat year. but 2009 was up there as well. we will see where this years takes us. cheers

footy-kid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I have been following this thread with interest and would like to throw up a dark horse. Michael Carr from Farrer. Big, strong and powerful with speed to burn. Plays for Farrer 1st with Batho and has played a lot of central north rugby with and against Vaessen. He missed a lot of last year with injury but used the down time to pile on the weight. He is not very well known in Sydney circles but I am picking that is about to change.

His strengths are his speed (seriously, can and has switched to outside centre) and his play at the breakdown. His defence though is his real trump card. Hits like a mack truck. Apparently the selectors at the CHS selection trials were very impressed. Earlier this year at the Vice Chancellors Cup in Armidale he decimated a couple of Qld GPS 1st hookers, some of whom I see have been touted around on some of these forums. Keep an eye out for him.

Carr and Batho were both in CHS 2 and i agree Batho is a large and tough unit, but wouldnt say the same about Carr as hooker, was smaller in comparison to the CCC and CHS 1 hookers, heard he played some great footy at the trials but from what i saw wasnt a standout player.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Batho impressed me today playing LHP in the CHS Twos v. CAS and he had a nice little stint in the Ones also. The Ones LHP was grossly overweight; so I would not be surprised to see Batho elevated to start some time.

See my match report in the NSW Schools thread.

T

theboss

ARU Under 19 Law variations

LAW 19: TOUCH AND LINEOUT
19.10 (d) Add: Lifting and/or supporting players must not support the jumping team-mate below the shorts. There is to be no lifting on the legs. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15m line.
19.10 (e) Add: Players who are going to lift or support a team-mate jumping for the ball may not pre-grip below the shorts. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15m line.

Why did two First XV CHS forwards have "lifting rolls" ?

No point having such Laws if they are not followed.

Get yellow carded in CAS competition for such.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's similar in seniors. They are not supposed to lift from behind below the shorts but I can't remember it ever being enforced.

Still, having those lifting rolls is a bit obvious, isn't it?

MrBump

Bob McCowan (2)
ARU Under 19 Law variations

LAW 19: TOUCH AND LINEOUT
19.10 (d) Add: Lifting and/or supporting players must not support the jumping team-mate below the shorts. There is to be no lifting on the legs. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15m line.
19.10 (e) Add: Players who are going to lift or support a team-mate jumping for the ball may not pre-grip below the shorts. Sanction: Free Kick on the 15m line.

Why did two First XV CHS forwards have "lifting rolls" ?

No point having such Laws if they are not followed.

Get yellow carded in CAS competition for such.

They both play Colts and probably do it by habit. CHS gave away 2 short arms for leg lifting during the game.

Stupid law IMO. Once the get to Aust Schools they are allowed to leg lift. When are they supposed to learn.

T

theboss

They certainly looked the part and was impressive in one aspect. Thought the CAS second rows outplayed them. Line out most particularly - which is a big statement after watching CAS line outs this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.