• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country - - - NRC Official Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Franchise officially confirmed by the Pulveriser today.

@Rugby Reg beats the NSW Franchises to get the first team thread up.

Time for those in the know to spill the beans. There is a tonne of work to be done in a short space of time.

Details please:
Coach/s:
Colours:
Playing strip:
Logo:
Playing Roster:
Membership Packages:
Food and Beverage options at the BBQ:
Nickname:
Home venues:

How will this work?
"And in a wonderful development for rugby a NSW Country team … both Easts and Randwick will have an association with the NSW Country team who will actually be based out of Moore Park" - Bill Pulver

Cactus Jack

Bob McCowan (2)
Looking at their website, the NSW Country Cockatoos have signed Shannon Fraser as Head Coach for the 2014 rep season. I did a quick google of search and it looks like he's been the Assistant Coach of the Fijian National Team, Head Coach of NTT Com in the Japanese Top League, as well as holding a number of different coaching roles at the Waratahs. Seems like he'd be a front runner for the coaching gig.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Looking at their website, the NSW Country Cockatoos have signed Shannon Fraser as Head Coach for the 2014 rep season. I did a quick google of search and it looks like he's been the Assistant Coach of the Fijian National Team, Head Coach of NTT Com in the Japanese Top League, as well as holding a number of different coaching roles at the Waratahs. Seems like he'd be a front runner for the coaching gig.
Darren Coleman got the job

Baxxter

Frank Row (1)
Just making sure that everyone is aware, the NSW Country Breakers are not actually run by the NSWCRU governing body - they are an independent consortium (with just 'in principle' support from NSWCRU).

They won't be called the Cockatoos, and they won't share coaching staff. However, two of the NSWCRU 'Ambassadors' - James Grant and Dave Carter - are heavily involved in the Breakers, so there is some form of link.

Look for the Waratahs to provide an assistant coach / backline coach, and some former Sydney Fleet (2007) coaching staff to be involved -who boast old Randwick and Cockatoos connections.

Randwick and Easts will supply some players, however the vast majority of the squad will be Super Rugby and Shute Shield players with a 'Country Origin'.

The Wicks and Beasts will likely capitalise on the various home games in country venues to set up a traveling roadshow and entice talented players from country regions to join them in Sydney. Come 2015 don't be surprised to see a 'Southern Suburbs' JV between Wicks & Easts enter the comp.

See this link from a few weeks ago: http://www.nswcountryrugby.com.au/news/news-archive/national-rugby-competition

The ARU called for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for parties to submit a tender for teams to participate in the inaugural National Rugby Competition (NRC).

NSWCRU lodged an EOI, however on receiving the specifications from the ARU, it was decided not to pursue the lodgement of a tender for inclusion in the competition.

There were a number of parties that had a 'connection' with Country NSW that had looked at becoming involved, however there is only one party that now intends to lodge a formal tender.

NSWCRU have met with that consortium and believe we share the same goals in regards to the promotion of Rugby for all of our constituents i.e. players, officials, referees and supporters.

The board of NSWCRU has provided in principle support to this consortium, however the team is not a team from NSWCRU, will not be known as the Cockatoos and NSWCRU will have no decision making rights in regards to players, management or coaches.

NSWCRU is keen to work with the consortium and to positively influence decisions for all of our stakeholders, but if it succeeds it will be a separate entity.

The facts are NSWCRU are not looking to entering a team in the NRC, but are looking to provide support to a team that may win inclusion that is of Country NSW origin i.e. including current country players.

It is being looked on as a great opportunity to provide another pathway for all NSWCRU stakeholders to achieve another level in there Rugby career.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
Just making sure that everyone is aware, the NSW Country Breakers are not actually run by the NSWCRU governing body - they are an independent consortium (with just 'in principle' support from NSWCRU).

They won't be called the Cockatoos, and they won't share coaching staff. However, two of the NSWCRU 'Ambassadors' - James Grant and Dave Carter - are heavily involved in the Breakers, so there is some form of link.

Look for the Waratahs to provide an assistant coach / backline coach, and some former Sydney Fleet (2007) coaching staff to be involved -who boast old Randwick and Cockatoos connections.

Randwick and Easts will supply some players, however the vast majority of the squad will be Super Rugby and Shute Shield players with a 'Country Origin'.

The Wicks and Beasts will likely capitalise on the various home games in country venues to set up a traveling roadshow and entice talented players from country regions to join them in Sydney. Come 2015 don't be surprised to see a 'Southern Suburbs' JV between Wicks & Easts enter the comp.

See this link from a few weeks ago: http://www.nswcountryrugby.com.au/news/news-archive/national-rugby-competition

The ARU called for Expressions of Interest (EOI) for parties to submit a tender for teams to participate in the inaugural National Rugby Competition (NRC).

NSWCRU lodged an EOI, however on receiving the specifications from the ARU, it was decided not to pursue the lodgement of a tender for inclusion in the competition.

There were a number of parties that had a 'connection' with Country NSW that had looked at becoming involved, however there is only one party that now intends to lodge a formal tender.

NSWCRU have met with that consortium and believe we share the same goals in regards to the promotion of Rugby for all of our constituents i.e. players, officials, referees and supporters.

The board of NSWCRU has provided in principle support to this consortium, however the team is not a team from NSWCRU, will not be known as the Cockatoos and NSWCRU will have no decision making rights in regards to players, management or coaches.

NSWCRU is keen to work with the consortium and to positively influence decisions for all of our stakeholders, but if it succeeds it will be a separate entity.

The facts are NSWCRU are not looking to entering a team in the NRC, but are looking to provide support to a team that may win inclusion that is of Country NSW origin i.e. including current country players.

It is being looked on as a great opportunity to provide another pathway for all NSWCRU stakeholders to achieve another level in there Rugby career.

I wonder whether the players based in the Bush would be up to NRC standard. Is the Country management actually going to want many Easts & Randwick players?
It will be great to learn their thoughts. The other squads are advanced , e.g Sydney Stars, Canberra Vikings etc however I can see this taking a bit more effort to put together. I wonder whether players will change Clubs trying to get a better run at the NRC?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Which colours - red and black, or brown?

Not brown. We already have the brown snakes at Cooks Hill in Newcastle.
https://www.facebook.com/CooksHillBrownsnakes

Call them the "Country Cobras" :D

cobra.jpg

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
I like what they are doing with this team.

I hope Randwick aspirations/disappointment doesn't destablise the team.

I am sick of "imported" nicknames for our sports teams.

Why can't they just be NSW Country, or just "The Bush" or Bushies or something like that?

Car'n you Bushies!!!!

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
I like what they are doing with this team.

I hope Randwick aspirations/disappointment doesn't destablise the team.

I am sick of "imported" nicknames for our sports teams.

Why can't they just be NSW Country, or just "The Bush" or Bushies or something like that?

Car'n you Bushies!!!!

Or at least an indigenous animal - I heard the Wallabies & Kangaroos are taken?? That must leave plenty of other Critters to pick from - what about Goannas? Austen Tayhus would love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.