• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
NSW Junior Rugby Union site. All the teams are up.

Where did they get them from? Where ALL good NSW rugby players come from, NSW Country LOL:).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
There was an "ad in the paper" (recruitment process mentioned in the Jnr State Champs programe), an email circulated, and word of mouth.

Criteria was player must have played for Sydney Juniors previously. No problem if they are now with Colts or currently not playing.

Believe a trial may have been played last weekend. Not sure how many kids turned up, or whether it was just "apply and you're in."

It all seems a little haphazard and a team for a teams sake rather than a team that actually represents SJRU playing talent, or is part or a premeditated development pathway.

At least it means a stack of kids are going to get a game of footy that didn't occur last year, and all of them will be going out there keen to do their best for the association they have been chosen for.

Who knows this match may unearth a nugget or two that have been overlooked by the "clipboards" so far?

Of the 23 players listed, 21 have played at least 1 game of rugby in the Sydney Colts Rugby competition.

rugbyconvert

Frank Row (1)
Thanks for doing this Boof NSW Country juniors is an area that really needs a lot of work.

The U18s is a difficult group given HSC, and the schools comp. and the strange invention of a "traditional Sydney vs Country" game.

The U18s played ACT Brumbies development team in Canberra a couple of weeks ago and got thoroughly thrashed, however it was a good development game for them. As the game went on different combinations and patterns were used and the flow of points was slowed to a trickle. Playing hard rugby is really the best training.

Last weekend they played Bond Uni. Colts which was a scrappy game (I'm told) but a big step up by the boys. Lost 17 to 15 with a number points left on the field.

Whilst this team is a bit of a rag tag collection it still has some grunt in it:

Gareth Thomas (NSW U17s)
Lachlan King (NSW U17s, CCC Opens)
Kieren Bonin (NSW U17s, CHS, Combined States)
Gia Gunten (NSW U17s)
Ted Pye (NSW u17s, CCC opens) I rate as the best U18s half in NSW.
Ben Ridgway (CHS opens)

U18s aren't playing Sydney in Tamworth (26th July) with the others as it clashes with HSC trials, playing 13th July. I'm pushing for "Rugby in the vineyard".
In fact I think all Sydney vs Country games should be "Rugby in the Vineyards".
Hughie
I commend you on been loyal to your club & district & the country but find it alarming how bias & blinkered your selection of players you put up .
1 is your son
2 are your sons best friends
1 is a very close friend who as played all his club football with your son
3 players are at your club 1 just left this yr.
If ted pye is the best half back why do you need Ben (who is an out & out 1/2) also doesn't say much for CHS 1 .
May be this is why so many players leave the country areas because of the biasness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Just to be absolutely clear to everyone who reads this site:
  • I am not a selector for any level of rugby, club, district, Country or any level.
  • I am not a coach at any level of rugby. I manage my son's local Colts team, mainly paper work.
  • No one should leave any level of rugby because of my biased selections, I have never selected anyone in any rugby team ever.
  • The Country U18s coaches have a difficult problem, with 3 very good half backs, I'm glad it's not my problem.
  • The CHS 1st lost to GPS 1st 20 to 22.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
The boys mentioned look pretty well credentialed at least on paper and what they have previously achieved, I would say making NSW 17s makes you a strong candidate for Country 18s. I know nothing of these boys except that I can gather they are from Illawarra, most boys have solid friendships with boys they play rugby with probably even more so if playing rep together. From the outside it always looks like everyone has an agenda, maybe they do maybe they don't just saying these boys look like they deserved consideration.

Curious why the 18s called in half back Charlie Fielder if they already have two?

Magilla

Frank Nicholson (4)
There seems to be a lot of talk about the country 18's, didn't the country 17's comfortably beat them in a trial several weeks ago?

sideline server

Stan Wickham (3)
Fairly sure that the Country 17s beat the Country 18s 17-5 when they were on their Central Coast training camp. The 17s also bombed at least another 5 points (dropped ball over the try line - coach killer). The 17s are a handy side with two players busy at this weeks Aust Schools Champs -Thorndyke (Combined States) and Johnston-Holmes (NSW 2's).

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
There seems to be a lot of talk about the country 18's, didn't the country 17's comfortably beat them in a trial several weeks ago?

Correct Magilla and very good point.Also if anyone knows how the 15s have been travelling I had heard they were expected to do well, just wondering if that is right.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How does Marcus Hundt get to play for SJRU against Country Under 18's?

Has he ever played for Sydney Juniors? As I understand it he is a Coastie through and through.

This year he is playing in the Sydney Colts competition for Gordon, and somehow this qualifies him as a City Junior.

What is the eligibility criteria for Country U18's?

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
How does Marcus Hundt get to play for SJRU against Country Under 18's?

Has he ever played for Sydney Juniors? As I understand it he is a Coastie through and through.

This year he is playing in the Sydney Colts competition for Gordon, and somehow this qualifies him as a City Junior.

What is the eligibility criteria for Country U18's?

In general ( all age groups ) you must be registered with a club in one of the country zones and play in the country champs and have played rugby the previous year,I think 5 games. I haven't heard of a player getting called up to country that wasn't at least in the respective zone rep side.

The grandstand ref

Frank Row (1)
Correct Magilla and very good point.Also if anyone knows how the 15s have been travelling I had heard they were expected to do well, just wondering if that is right.

Boof - you have flushed me out - having been a blog stalker for a while - I am now required to engage! The U15s have been doing well - like all of the country teams this year they seem to have a confidence about them that they can do well - the coming game against ACT will be a better benchmark for form.
The U15 beat the Gordon boys convincingly up the coast - however, I note not many of them made the city team, so - really doesn't give much of a clue for the tamworth weekend. The trip to the Gold Coast resulted in 60+ to 5 I think ( wasn't there).
Whoever suggested the "rugby in the vineyards" I think that is great - Mudgee / Orange have fantastic venues and some great wine!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
In general ( all age groups ) you must be registered with a club in one of the country zones and play in the country champs and have played rugby the previous year,I think 5 games. I haven't heard of a player getting called up to country that wasn't at least in the respective zone rep side.

It would appear that Sydney Juniors tend to be a little more flexible, particularly in the upper age groups, with respect to eligibility criteria.

Good on Country for establishing criteria and sticking to it.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
As Sydney Rugby Tragic said there are now a lot of County players in the Sydney Colts comp..

Gordon look like they have been up at the Central Coast recruiting, and doing very well.

It looks like Jack Margin is going to get an U17 2013 Country jersey and an U18 2014 Sydney one to go with it.

Until Country can offer what the Sydney Colts comp can offer this will be the normal and sensible path for them.

Still "Carn those Country Boys".

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
As Sydney Rugby Tragic said there are now a lot of County players in the Sydney Colts comp..

Gordon look like they have been up at the Central Coast recruiting, and doing very well.

It looks like Jack Margin is going to get an U17 2013 Country jersey and an U18 2014 Sydney one to go with it.

Until Country can offer what the Sydney Colts comp can offer this will be the normal and sensible path for them.

Still "Carn those Country Boys".

To right Hughie, Country have got to get with the programme in the 17/18s and offer something to keep these fellas in the country. At least the 18s have a tour but the 17s are doing a lot of miles for one off games add that to JGC and it has been a very expensive year for the parents.
In the Hunter we have the Hawthorne Academy for u20s which is aiming to keep players in their club and expose them to a higher level of coaching, following on from JGC.They train in the off season and went into camp with the u20 Oz 7 s this year but still no competition, this is what let's it down I think.
The up and coming NRC is certainly lacking an u20 comp, if this comp had an 18s and 20 s comp attached to it I think it would certainly improve Australia's playing stocks. The Eagles could then actually develop true country origin players and have the entire bush behind them rather than a couple of tokens and the city lads getting all the benefit, once again.

Boof

Ward Prentice (10)
quote="The grandstand ref, post: 629861, member: 21277"]Boof - you have flushed me out - having been a blog stalker for a while - I am now required to engage! The U15s have been doing well - like all of the country teams this year they seem to have a confidence about them that they can do well - the coming game against ACT will be a better benchmark for form.
The U15 beat the Gordon boys convincingly up the coast - however, I note not many of them made the city team, so - really doesn't give much of a clue for the tamworth weekend. The trip to the Gold Coast resulted in 60+ to 5 I think ( wasn't there).
Whoever suggested the "rugby in the vineyards" I think that is great - Mudgee / Orange have fantastic venues and some great wine![/quote]

Welcome mate, the more people engaging the more support our boys will get. Good to hear about the 15s, they have a few solid individuals glad they are putting it together as a team.

sideline server

Stan Wickham (3)
The rugby pathway for boys in the Country is crap for those between 17 and 20. For example in the Illawarra there is an U17's comp and then a limited U20's comp. Its a big call for a 17 year old to play grade if his club doesn't have a 20's team - so what does he do if its too far to travel to Sydney? Gives up for a few years (may never come back) or plays another sport (may never come back)

Status
Not open for further replies.