• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Election 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Much as we'd like to the chances of getting rid of state governments, the oldest form of government in Australia, are about zero. And to emasculate them by starving them of money and removing their traditional functions (school education, transport, health, infrastructure development, etc.) isn't solving the problem. Any duplication of government services has been implemented by the federal government over the last 40 years. Max Walsh wrote in the 90s there was about $5/6bn wasted annually on over-servicing by governments due to duplication. There's a lot to be said for the American system where state governemts know exactly what they're supposed to deliver and the federal goverment doesn't interfere.

Mind you, at the moment I'd be in favour of a coup in Macquarie Street led by anyone from Canberra.

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
The Liberal Party in NSW is swimming in money, big business has got behind them in a big way. Labor are going to get massacred next year, the voters are biding their time with baseball bats. The leadership of the Liberal Party are keeping quiet and letting Labor continue to put their feet in their mouth. The sight of long-standing Labor parliamentarians deserting a sinking ship mustn't fill voters with much confidence.

The Libs aren't swimming in money at all, don't make the mistake of thinking that because they represent the rich that the party themselves are rich. The fact is they've got bugger all money, certainly not a fraction of the money the ALP has, and donors give to Governments of any flavour at three times the rate they give to Opposition parties. They've set up a mob called Barton Deakin, the Liberal equivalent of Hawker Britton, but they are already struggling. Part of the problem is that even though the NSw Labor party will be tossed out on its ear, the internal shitfighting within the Liberals threatens their stability. This is why Tony Abbott is trying to replace the current party president with Arthur Sinodinas. It's not going to be pretty, and big business is staying away in droves.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Part of the problem is that even though the NSw Labor party will be tossed out on its ear, the internal shitfighting within the Liberals threatens their stability. This is why Tony Abbott is trying to replace the current party president with Arthur Sinodinas. It's not going to be pretty, and big business is staying away in droves.

That should be a salient factor on how or what barry or Abbott counters or does something about this infighting. One can argue it was this mob with their pre-selection issues that cost Abbott the Federal election: he should have won at least three more seats in NSW. Over at Labor, KK has started her purge and shown that NSW Labor, at least superficially, is her party. Nothing from neither Barry Or Abbott in regards to the inadequacies of the NSW Liberal party. If they don't resolve it soon I think it will be the end of both their leaderships. And, quite frankly, rightly so.

NedKelly

Frank Nicholson (4)
That should be a salient factor on how or what barry or Abbott counters or does something about this infighting. One can argue it was this mob with their pre-selection issues that cost Abbott the Federal election: he should have won at least three more seats in NSW. Over at Labor, KK has started her purge and shown that NSW Labor, at least superficially, is her party. Nothing from neither Barry Or Abbott in regards to the inadequacies of the NSW Liberal party. If they don't resolve it soon I think it will be the end of both their leaderships. And, quite frankly, rightly so.

I reckon O'Farrell's leadership is already terminal, Elfster. I was surprised he wasn't rolled by Mike Baird six months ago after he'd been unable to lay a glove on a thoroughly incompetent Government. Trouble is the Libs are just as inept. They'll win the election in a landslide, but that shouldn't disguise the fact that they've got very little going for them except that the NSW ALP is worse. I don't think it will test Abbott's leadership - that he has moved to install Sinodinas will win him points in the wider Liberal Party even if he fails to achieve it, because, as you say, of NSW Liberals performance at the last federal election.

Too little too late for the lovely Kristina. This is the purge Iemma wanted three years ago, and if he'd been allowed it, then managed to sell off energy generation like he'd planned, things could have been pretty good for NSW and its Labor government, as they actually had a fair bit of talent in the remainder of the ministry. It will gall Iemma no end that his then union nemesis John Robertson will likely be the next party leader.

It's farkin' circus, the state of politics in NSW.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The fight back starts! And where else but the SMH. Mike Carlton's Saturday column with implicit support for Keneally and warning voters about the Coalition.

"Keneally was also warmer and funnier in person than the Ice Queen you see on the TV news. But I don't think that's enough to save her.

After the March election it will be Barry O'Farrell's portly hams on the podium as the Coalition sets about its historic mission of axing ethics classes, shutting down the heroin injecting room, sacking thousands of public servants, and banning all forms of sex except the missionary position for married heterosexual adults intent on procreation.

Be careful what you wish for."

Obviously the corruption, incompetence, lying, self-serving bastardary of NSW Labor is acceptable for him. And I love the reference to the perceived "looney religious right". Keneally is far more relogious than Barry.

Though to her credit, she is giving it a go. Unlike Barry who seems meandering and directionless and confused as to what leadership should be... (Actually am I writing about the leadership of the NSW Liberal party or the Australian Cricket side there)

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Much as we'd like to the chances of getting rid of state governments, the oldest form of government in Australia, are about zero. And to emasculate them by starving them of money and removing their traditional functions (school education, transport, health, infrastructure development, etc.) isn't solving the problem. Any duplication of government services has been implemented by the federal government over the last 40 years. Max Walsh wrote in the 90s there was about $5/6bn wasted annually on over-servicing by governments due to duplication. There's a lot to be said for the American system where state governemts know exactly what they're supposed to deliver and the federal goverment doesn't interfere.

Mind you, at the moment I'd be in favour of a coup in Macquarie Street led by anyone from Canberra.

The NSW state premier is little more than a glorified Lord Mayor of Metropolitan Sydney, and the state government little more than the Metropolitan Sydney council.

If it does not occur in the Wollongong-Sydney-Blue Mountains-Newcastle area, they don't care.

Same with all the state governments.

As much as I don't trust Canberra, it is time to have a 21st century form of government in australia. The current model is crap.

Almost 1/2 billion dollars on the Sydney-Balmain Metro project for no return. Bravo. No one bats an eyelid. State Stuff up.

How much has been wasted on the Schools Building programme, and the botched Home insulation scheme? combined Federal and State stuff up.

What about the billion dollar desal plant finished just in time for the rains to come and fill the dams? State Stuff up.

How much does Defence have to waste? Hardly a week goes by without some new revelation of misuse, corruption, or waste from that department.

Has anyone driven past that farmers paddock just outside Bungendore, where Defence has spent about 2 billion dollars on a new palace? Federal Stuff up.

The Democrats have disappeared in a cloud of their own misinformed view of their relevance, and the greens aren't keeping them honest and look set to follow the grand example set by the Democrats.

The Coalition and Labor are as bad as each other.

It has been said "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach". This is horribly unfair to a very honourable profession.
I reckon it should be "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach enter Politics".

Don't vote, it only encourages them. Vote informal and send a message to the bastards.

C

chief

^^^

Mark Latham? Is that you?

In all seriousness it seems Keneally is doing a decent job trying to put respect back into a tainted Labor brand. It's tainted no doubt about it, but she also played a part. I really hope Keneally lasts the full term and longer as opposition leader, as that current Union hack, I forgot his name, he's in the NSW Senate, seems destined to become Opposition leader.

Over here in QLD Bligh is doing a decent job, despite her head on the chopping block. Many of the party's backbenchers, want her dismissed, however due to the "faceless" Labor brand her party are not doing so. Although I'm sure someone aside from Bligh like Cameron Dick has the numbers, they don't want Labor to be seen as a party driven by polls. As it ultimately is.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You mean John Robertson. And yes, it would not be a smart move for Labor to drop Keneally for Robertson post blood bath. Which is why they probably will try to.

#1?

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not Mark Latham. :)

But in some respects, I guess he is an advocate of my policies.

Just seriously disillusioned with the poor calibre of our government, politicians and bureaucrats at all levels.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What does the state run, that could'nt be run at either a national, or expanded council level?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A rich vein of serious disillusionment has been unearthed here.

WTF can we do about it?

In our alleged democracy, "for the people, by the people", we are the people/clients that they are supposed to be serving. They are all about "for the politicians and their mates, by they self-interested, and fuck the rest of you".

If the Politicians were Harvey Norman, they would be applying for Bankruptcy very soon, cause everyone would be buying their goodies from Myers, DJ's, or anyone byt Harvey Norman.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
New South Wales Labor is fucked completely. You know it and they know it. The federal party is hoping they sink quickly and quietly because theyare seen as poisoning the brand name. The only hope they have is that the incompetence of O'farrell and the religious lunatics such as Clarke and Hawke manage to stuff up between now and the election and thus minimise the margin of loss for the ALP. If that happens, the ALP can expect to be back in about two terms or so. If not, they wont be back for four or more terms by which time we will be saying the same things about the NSW coalition that we say now about the ALP. The template for state politics in NSW is still the Rum Corps. Parties recruit talent only by accident, not design. For all parties, influence is the only qualification that matters, talent, honesty etc come way down the list.

Mike Carlton is right though about Keneally, in person she is very nice, vivacious, friendly and intelligent. She is also a smart operator, and the jettisoning of deadwood such as Tripodi, Gibson, etc is almost singlehandedly driven by her. She seems to have used the "powerbrokers" of the party to gain control and now is to some extent running her own race to their exclusion. The press mostly don't like her because she is an outsider and the press are more conservative in their treatment of outsiders than any powerbrokers in the parties. I would like to see her remain leader of the ALP in opposition because she is the only one likely to bring honest reform to a party desperately in need of it, but with a back office pathologically opposed to reform of any kind.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The fact that NSW can have so many Ministers convicted or seriously implicated in corrupt & illegal activities yet they continue to govern shows what a waste of space and funds the Governor's position is in NSW. The Labour government should have been dismissed a long time ago and an election forced.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
She seems to have used the "powerbrokers" of the party to gain control and now is to some extent running her own race to their exclusion. The press mostly don't like her because she is an outsider and the press are more conservative in their treatment of outsiders than any powerbrokers in the parties. I would like to see her remain leader of the ALP in opposition because she is the only one likely to bring honest reform to a party desperately in need of it, but with a back office pathologically opposed to reform of any kind.

Turn it up. Everything she's doing is for a simple reason. She's lining up a federal seat.

C

chief

Turn it up. Everything she's doing is for a simple reason. She's lining up a federal seat.

And she's going to get that Federal seat. And I think she deserves that Federal seat. She came to power with the public's absolute contempt towards Labor. She's pretty fucking classy, and I think she'd make a good Federal Politician.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
And she's going to get that Federal seat. And I think she deserves that Federal seat. She came to power with the public's absolute contempt towards Labor. She's pretty fucking classy, and I think she'd make a good Federal Politician.

No way. I expect more from federal MPs than what she has delivered at a state level.

Status
Not open for further replies.