• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Election 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bradley

Just looking forward to tomorrow when I cast my vote and play a part in one of the biggest electoral defeats in this state's history. See ya later Labor! Pricks!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
You've got to repsect KK for keeping her head up and staying positive through this whole thing. When she became premier, I thought she'd be a PR disaster because of the way she used to behave in parliament. But she's managed to (almost) avoid going bitter and negative in the face of the oncoming train wreck, which must take some guts. I wonder where she'll end up afterwards?

None of the above should be taken to mean I won't be glad to see the back of her and malignant, corrupt horse she rode in on.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
My 2c.

I had made up my mind to put Lib ahead of Lab - although both fairly low down on my preferences. But then I started getting material from the local candidates here in the Blue Mountains. The Liberal candidate is unelectable. She strikes me as being one of Peter Debnam's lot - a loony right Christian. And so I'm going to have to preference Lab - and quite possibly elect them.

I'm as sick of Labor as anyone else - but the NSW Libs have quite a few weirdos in there. Quite a few.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
KK has been battling on like a trooper, but she still has too much baggage with her and, unfortunately, in some ways she has come across as venal as most politicians. She has been corrupted by the NSW Labor right..the ALP's last weeks of electioneering has been negative and dishonest. NSW Labor needs to be destroyed so that their is nothing left for the Right to claim victory. If the ALP claim 25 seats the ALP right will see themselves vindicated and the rot will remain.

I can't see it happening, but I hope there is a lot of young moderate small l liberals voted in to temper the Liberal victory. And I hope that with this victory they see that it happened in spite of the carry-ons with the federal Libs rather than due to them. Though I get the impression that Tony Abbott's actions are malignantly amplified by an ALP sympathetic Fairfax press and some of the ABC commentators, he does need a good kick up the backside.

He is making the Gillard/ Brown duo look Churchillian in leadership and Arthur C Clarke like in vision.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Whenever there is a state election I often have two somewhat contradictory thoughts. The first is to abolish the states, and divide the states' powers between local and federal government. The second is, if we are to keep the states, make Sydney and the rest of NSW separate states. NSW politics is usually about Sydney and nothing else.

I think there is a case for abolishing the states. For a country of our size we do seem to have plenty of government. And I don't mean that in the 'anti-government conservative' sense. I just question whether we need this many levels of government to administer a country with a population of 20 million.

On the other topic, NSW state politics (when there isn't some scandal going on where an MP (Moana Pasifika) is forced to quit or go to jail) seems to be about who has a better idea for the next tunnel or expressway in Sydney, who is going to make Sydney trains run on time, or who is going to keep George Street safe on a Saturday night. I don't get the impression that they think too much about regional NSW. Let Sydney run Sydney, and let the rest of NSW look after itself.

Just thought I'd throw it out there. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, itis probably too late in Australia to get rid on any tier of government - there are just too many entrenched interests. Which is probably one of the problems. Splitting NSW between Sydney and the rest could probably just concentrate resources and interest in Sydney. At least at the moment their is a forced connect and something at least has to be seen to be done. If a break occurs country NSW could just wither...Sydney has been allowed to get too big and too strong. Perhaps some intervention from Canberra could help...

The method of government in Australia has allowed the set-up of professional political parties. I think once that occurred we have seen the decline of good governance in Australia. The parties are more interested in seeking power for power's sake. They have built up structures and have become more remote from the general populace - who they are supposed to represent. The ALP was created to represent the working class and thus their historical links to the Unions. However these days the ruling clique of the ALP look at the working class with contempt.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I honestly have no idea who the hell I'll be voting for tomorrow. I grew up in a deeply entrenched Labor seat both Federally (Werriwa) and State (Macquarie Fields). Add to this my family has been Labor voters since the party came into to being, so I have tended to follow suit. However, come this time round I really cannot justify placing a little 1 next to my new local candidate in Wollongong. Many of my family claim a media conspiracy to get rid of Labor but honestly they have been utterly atrocious for the better part of a decade. Labor know their on a hiding to nothing and at least from my perspectivbe their entire campaign has been one of damage control.Regardless of how many new faces emerge to replace the deadwood its just impossible to justify.

The Liberals don't instill too much confidence either. It's just too easy for them. Look at the campaign adds, the one that resembles a South Park skit is just insulting but they know that regardless of what Labor does their on a winner. Frankly, they have offered nothing and that's frightening in itself. IMO electing a Government is a choice between what you perceive as the best of two evils, but my issue is with this election is its a choice between potentially the same evil with a different spin. Let's not forget many if not all of the current Liberal State Minister in waiting would have very little recent experience running a Govt considering its been 16 years between drinks. This state has a terrible decision to make tomorrow. The devil you know or the devil you don't but could be very similar.

And now for the Greens. Christ, I'm all for conservations and all that but I really hope this group of crackpots don't find themselves with any real power and influence. I think Prue Goward put it aptly by describing them as a BANANA party. As in Build Absolutely Nothing, Absolutely Never Anywhere. Greens with power would be an utter disaster.

I'm really disillusioned with our whole political system at the moment. Far too much self interest from within political parties and not enough in society as a whole. State and Federal MPs really don't represent their constitutencies anymore too consumed with the own delusions of grandeur and self worth. I quite liked the suggestion of introducing seat by seat primary voting tabled to the Labor caucus (we'll never see it happen but I think its a good idea) as it could sort some of these issues out.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
My 2c.

I had made up my mind to put Lib ahead of Lab - although both fairly low down on my preferences. But then I started getting material from the local candidates here in the Blue Mountains. The Liberal candidate is unelectable. She strikes me as being one of Peter Debnam's lot - a loony right Christian. And so I'm going to have to preference Lab - and quite possibly elect them.

I'm as sick of Labor as anyone else - but the NSW Libs have quite a few weirdos in there. Quite a few.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I think we are all forgetting the main message though when it comes to voting in our political leaders - regardless of who we vote in we are all screwed. Its just in what way do we want to get screwed? Vote in the greens you'll get some great environmental initiatives and progressive social laws but they'll do bugger all for our police/defence and infrastructure, vote in liberal and you may get good support for police/defense and infrastructure but with all that you get the conservative social side of their politics that would send us back to the stone age. Labor is my traditional preference but they are up the proverbial at the moment and the independents are the 'lucky dip' you dont really know what they are gonna give you.

I've never jumped out of my skin when voting day approaches but I have never felt so indifferent about voting as I do this time around. I feel more excited about the fact that straight after I vote I'm off to play my teams first game of the season, a trial, thats something to get excited about.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I think we are all forgetting the main message though when it comes to voting in our political leaders - regardless of who we vote in we are all screwed. Its just in what way do we want to get screwed?

I sometimes agree with that, but not in this election.

The Liberals are the clearly superior party. Yes there may be a few on the more conservative side of things, but I can guarantee you that not one of them will be picked up lying to ICAC, rorting parliamentary expenses or feeling up their young interns. Their front bench is competant, and I have faith that they will perform their duties diligently. Guys like Stokes, Stoner, Berejiklian and Skinner are all good operators.

They may lack really inspirational ideas, but State politics isn't about inspirational ideas. It's about making the trains run on time, keeping the hospitals operating well and having enough quality teachers in our schools and police on our streets. Not much outside of the box thinking is really needed. Just solid, well-funded plans backed by those in the respective industry.

They aren't brilliant, but they are solid and most importantly none of them have criminal records, links to shady property developers or union thugs. That seems to be all you can ask of a state government these days.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Baabaa, I hope you're right about the front bench. What do you think of Roza Sage (Blue Mountains)? Today a dentist, Monday a parliamentarian. I imagine that she's been preselected by the Christian mafia in the NSW Libs. She'll be an odd sort of person to represent us hippies and greenies in the Upper Mountains.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Baabaa, I hope you're right about the front bench. What do you think of Roza Sage (Blue Mountains)? Today a dentist, Monday a parliamentarian. I imagine that she's been preselected by the Christian mafia in the NSW Libs. She'll be an odd sort of person to represent us hippies and greenies in the Upper Mountains.

Yeah some of the backbenchers are probably going to be a bit weird. It is state politics after all. In all likelihood Roza Sage won't get within a million miles of the frontbench and thus won't have to make any decisions that affect the state as a whole. I understand your trepidation in voting for her though, does she have any dentistry related slogans?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah some of the backbenchers are probably going to be a bit weird. It is state politics after all. In all likelihood Roza Sage won't get within a million miles of the frontbench and thus won't have to make any decisions that affect the state as a whole. I understand your trepidation in voting for her though, does she have any dentistry related slogans?

Roza Sage - Giving NSW a Root Canal

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Rosa Sage - Removing the scum and whitening your area.

That sounds a little, er, racist... Oops!! Sorry for the bad taste but I just had to spit it out. :(

I put in a postal vote last night. I can only describe it as cathartic.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
Elfster, you're right about it probably being too late to get rid of a tier of government. You're also right about political parties becoming full of professional politicians, drones who've never done anything apart from politics, from Young Liberal/Labor at uni onwards.
However, I'm not too sure I agree with you about country NSW withering up and dying. I think it'd be fine, and that Sydney would actually do all it could to keep the regional areas - Hunter Valley coal exports, tourism in regional areas, the wine industry, agriculture in areas like Riverina and New England, mining all over the place etc.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Elfster, you're right about it probably being too late to get rid of a tier of government. You're also right about political parties becoming full of professional politicians, drones who've never done anything apart from politics, from Young Liberal/Labor at uni onwards.
However, I'm not too sure I agree with you about country NSW withering up and dying. I think it'd be fine, and that Sydney would actually do all it could to keep the regional areas - Hunter Valley coal exports, tourism in regional areas, the wine industry, agriculture in areas like Riverina and New England, mining all over the place etc.

I can tell you that is not how it feels in the country.
NSW extends as far as the CityRail network.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Grafton has been promised a new bridge crossing for the last few state elections. We might actually get it by the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.