• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't understand what you mean when you say "13 year olds being part of the program" ? Please elaborate.

He means the boys do an extra year of schooling - they do Year 12 (the final year) over two years i.e Years 12 and 13. The Board of Studies allows students to do their HSC subjects spread over two years. So a student can do half of his subjects in say 2014 and half of his subjects in 2015.
Allows a lot of time for strength and conditioning training!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He means the boys do an extra year of schooling - they do Year 12 (the final year) over two years i.e Years 12 and 13. The Board of Studies allows students to do their HSC subjects spread over two years. So a student can do half of his subjects in say 2014 and half of his subjects in 2015.
Allows a lot of time for strength and conditioning training!

I must say, slightly off topic, I am flabbergasted that the Board of Studies permit this rort - and I mean its a rort no matter who does it and what school they go to or why they do it that way.
I juts cannot see how it permits a fair comparison between candidates - but there I go again banging on about level playing fields

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
I don't understand what you mean when you say "13 year olds being part of the program" ? Please elaborate.
I am guessing year 13 not 13 year olds with everything else associated with scottttts fo-program it would seam Beastie boy doesn't like the use of pathways or asking new students to start in year 9 and repeat the year 10 they all-but completed elsewhere. This also looks much better on the "View match day program.
the question was asked here so it is answered here not in the other place it may well belong

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I must say, slightly off topic, I am flabbergasted that the Board of Studies permit this rort - and I mean its a rort no matter who does it and what school they go to or why they do it that way.
I juts cannot see how it permits a fair comparison between candidates - but there I go again banging on about level playing fields

It is useful for candidates stricken down with illness and family problems. Also allows advanced students to do one or two subjects early.
Additionally, a student could go to TAFE and do as few subjects as they want per year and accumulate HSC marks over 5 years.
Some rugby playing schools use this procedure to keep talented rugby players in the 1st XV for an extra year. The boy's age needs to be considered though - I don't think 19 year olds can play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The decision to repeat a year at High School, can cost the individual in excess of $500000 in career earnings compared to one of their previous cohort students, who does not repeat year 12. Earlier promotions, missed opportunities, breaking in to new networks etc.

Some kids need the extra time at school to mature intellectually and socially but the decision to do pathways just for a tilt at Aust Schoolboys, or 1st XV funtimes, should not be taken lightly.

To answer another question above, yes Open Age Schoolboy Rugby is Under 18 at 1 Jan of the year in question. All associations have this age restriction.

Gobstar

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes the tipping point was when Scots finally got the ball [an intercept] and scored. After that they would get possession again from the NC restarts and be able to score again. i jest a bit, but it did seem like that! I will post up my footage of the game very soon.
And yes, good point, they should be the Aus Schoolboy team.

Like the Scots games I've seen this year vs. Joeys, Kings and Cranbrook, the visitors looked good applying pressure early with attacking raids in good territory. But then a quick try against the run of play and short periods of Scots dominance from phase play saw a couple more tries then the defence, when bent back, start to resemble 14D's.

The Scots boys do put on some class tries with great running, passing and intuitive support play but 50% of the tries I've seen them score this year have been through uncommitted tacklers.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Interestingly in 1923 one Mr J.F Roxburgh started a new 'modern school to focus on the individual'.

He went on to dismantle the 'Regressive focus on sport and house structures' at traditional private schools.

In several of his later writings he continued to reflect on sport in schools as being regressive towards the individual.

I think he might have been onto something, although Mr L. Cheshire and Mr R. Branson might disagree.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Interestingly in 1923 one Mr J.F Roxburgh started a new 'modern school to focus on the individual'.

He went on to dismantle the 'Regressive focus on sport and house structures' at traditional private schools.

In several of his later writings he continued to reflect on sport in schools as being regressive towards the individual.

I think he might have been onto something, although Mr L. Cheshire and Mr R. Branson might disagree.

Very interesting.
I've sussed out Roxburgh - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowe_School.
But I'll need a clue for the other two.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
Very interesting.
I've sussed out Roxburgh - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowe_School.
But I'll need a clue for the other two.

2 old boys; Richard Branson and Leonard Cheshire (independent observer on the bombing of Nagasaki)

It was his EXPLICIT reference to sport in schools being 'Regressive' that caught my attention especially in 1923!

Relate this to the current GPS system and he could have been watching recently....

Whilst most people probably think GPS sport is 'progressive' i think at the individual level it could be considered 'Regressive'. Awkward to think about.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
2 old boys; Richard Branson and Leonard Cheshire (independent observer on the bombing of Nagasaki)

It was his EXPLICIT reference to sport in schools being 'Regressive' that caught my attention especially in 1923!

Relate this to the current GPS system and he could have been watching recently..

Whilst most people probably think GPS sport is 'progressive' i think at the individual level it could be considered 'Regressive'. Awkward to think about.

I shall have to look into Cheshire.
I don't think there is any doubt that team sport is individually regressive but that is its fundamental purpose: to sublimate the ego and the pursuit of purely individual goals to the goals of the team. Being an example of the individuals role in society.
It also can lead to some appreciation for the contribution of individuals to the more outward success of others - the winger who scores in the corner because the THP stood firm at the scrum - that sort of romantic ideal.
I happen to think that rugby is best able to do this because, unlike any other sport, it demands diversity in abilities as between positions. It is for this reason that I lament the lack of interest in it for so long at those schools who took little or no interest in it for 20 years.

providence

Herbert Moran (7)
I think you are probably right IS.

I actually met Cheshire just prior to his death, very interesting chap. Most people seem to put him alongside CB Fry as the two greatest Englishmen of the 20th century. I would have Fry ahead by a nose.

I think Roxburgh was referring to 'releasing' the individual but i think the point you make is bang on.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think you are probably right IS.

I actually met Cheshire just prior to his death, very interesting chap. Most people seem to put him alongside CB Fry as the two greatest Englishmen of the 20th century. I would have Fry ahead by a nose.

I think Roxburgh was referring to 'releasing' the individual but i think the point you make is bang on.

God you've got me intrigued now.
Given the GPS draw how apt:
A house at Xavier College, a leading private school in Melbourne, Australia, is named after Cheshire. St Ignatius College, a private school in Sydney, Australia, also has a house named after Cheshire.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't think there is any doubt that team sport is individually regressive but that is its fundamental purpose: to sublimate the ego and the pursuit of purely individual goals to the goals of the team. Being an example of the individuals role in society.
It also can lead to some appreciation for the contribution of individuals to the more outward success of others - the winger who scores in the corner because the THP stood firm at the scrum - that sort of romantic ideal.
I happen to think that rugby is best able to do this because, unlike any other sport, it demands diversity in abilities as between positions. It is for this reason that I lament the lack of interest in it for so long at those schools who took little or no interest in it for 20 years.

As in "a champion team will beat a team of champions"
While we all have individual skills those who work together usually achieve more

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Yes the tipping point was when Scots finally got the ball [an intercept] and scored. After that they would get possession again from the NC restarts and be able to score again. i jest a bit, but it did seem like that! I will post up my footage of the game very soon.
And yes, good point, they should be the Aus Schoolboy team.

I can understand people misjoy to what I will say but I think it is a joke to see such scorelines with teams being reasonably competitive to be "romper stomped" by such high scores. Something needs to happen and schools need to own up to this.

Since I started at newington, the culture and identity of rugby had changed significantly from it being a respected and traditional sport where boys starting in juniors develop into seniors and become the role models and motivators for future boys playing the sport.

What I see now is schools like newington(especially in the GPS) turning once "normal" rugby program's into factories and institutions of sportsmen. Whether this is tarnishing or developing the schoolboy game. I don't know, but seeing these types of scores.....this is not what anyone wants to see.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I think Joeys are the only school that can genuinely lay claim to having a comprehensive rugby program. It obviously isn't built around weights programs because as they don't have facilities to be putting all those boys through, but it is built around a long tradition of wanting to be successful in the code. That comes from the coaches, boys, staff, parents and old boys. They are strong from A's to H's, always have been. The confusion arises from massive resources being thrust into the top two sides in the school as some kind of program. Newington is actually the perfect example now it's been raised. There is no factory churning out top players, just look at last week, and Scots don't have a brilliant program because the rest of the school isn't performing anything like the 1's. Now having said all that, schools can't whinge if they allocate few resources to their programs and get poor results. Any competition needs to modify the boundaries and evolve within the reality. That means schools need to move with pace setters, improve their own standards, and go after Scots. I didn't see the Scots v Newington game, but I can only imagine that one side was totally spooked and chose not to contribute very much defensively. I hope that Riverview can rise to the challenge and make their tackles for the sake of the game in the GPS. If they can prove to others that Scots are only human and not godlike creatures, then maybe there's hope.

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
One thing is - you have to admire the quality of the Scots team and it is something for all teams to aspire to, including the other teams within Scots. I however do not agree with having Year 13 boys as part of their program. What will be the result of all this? Predictions. Scots can only continue with this and stop it imploding, by joining a national Year 12 comp with like minded schools. The coach will be approached for higher honours. More schools will adopt Pod Rugby. Representing at NSW CIS will be a Must Have on your resume in order to attract attention. Other schools will engage sports scientists for the boys supplements program. Some schools will lessen their focus on rugby programs. The boys in this team will mainly be on scholarship in the near future with either Sydney or NSW Universities. The Scots pathway is now recognised as the premium pathway in Australia to becoming a professional Rugby player.

Are you taking the pi$$? I'd focus on winning the GPS rugby premiership outright first, before making boasts like this. Correct me if I'm wrong but this last happened in 1993.

Sam Carter aside, not many other Scots old boys have kicked onto the next level recently. You'd have to think the best chance is Kellaway who is a sensational young player.

Rugby from the backrow

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think Joeys are the only school that can genuinely lay claim to having a comprehensive rugby program. It obviously isn't built around weights programs because as they don't have facilities to be putting all those boys through, but it is built around a long tradition of wanting to be successful in the code. That comes from the coaches, boys, staff, parents and old boys. They are strong from A's to H's, always have been. The confusion arises from massive resources being thrust into the top two sides in the school as some kind of program. Newington is actually the perfect example now it's been raised. There is no factory churning out top players, just look at last week, and Scots don't have a brilliant program because the rest of the school isn't performing anything like the 1's. Now having said all that, schools can't whinge if they allocate few resources to their programs and get poor results. Any competition needs to modify the boundaries and evolve within the reality. That means schools need to move with pace setters, improve their own standards, and go after Scots. I didn't see the Scots v Newington game, but I can only imagine that one side was totally spooked and chose not to contribute very much defensively. I hope that Riverview can rise to the challenge and make their tackles for the sake of the game in the GPS. If they can prove to others that Scots are only human and not godlike creatures, then maybe there's hope.

Perhaps the answer is to take the over emphasis off the firsts and give more creedence to the number of games won on the day by all teams! This would make the whole system look different with schools like Shore looking much stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.