• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
It does indeed, Jasdec. Love it! :) Its not just the boys who are looking at the for and against. Now that the full draw has been posted here I can play a bit. But not tonight. I have a book to finish!

Reading or writing??
Reading - "the history of rugby in the New England" by JB
Writing - "how to construct and execute an equitable rugby competition" by JB.
Fiction or Non Fiction?? :) Enjoy.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
Reading or writing??
Reading - "the history of rugby in the New England" by JB
Writing - "how to construct and execute an equitable rugby competition" by JB.
Fiction or Non Fiction?? :) Enjoy.

:) Writing. My main project is a history of Northern NSW, the tablelands and surrounding river valleys to north, east, south and west. The book breaks into three parts: Aboriginal New England up to 1788; the Colonial period; and then New England in the twentieth century. And yes, it includes sport!

I don't want to bore people and it's so far off topic, but it gives me an excuse to go in just so many directions and talk to so many people, to visit pubs, clubs and events and all for a most worthy cause! I will finish it one day, but in the meantime I am putting a constant stream of stuff out in various fora. Did you know that under the influence of W C Wentworth, I forget which one (IV?), he and his fellow Greek students wanted to make TAS the centre of Australian classical studies? As part of this, they presented a play at Kings in classical Greek!

As I said, red herrings.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
:) Writing. My main project is a history of Northern NSW, the tablelands and surrounding river valleys to north, east, south and west. The book breaks into three parts: Aboriginal New England up to 1788; the Colonial period; and then New England in the twentieth century. And yes, it includes sport!........

Jim - this stuff is Gold! Put me down for a signed copy at the launch! If only I could find a gig that involved going to pubs & clubs, talking to people, listening to yarns etc. Cheers, Wreckless :)

hollowman

Peter Burge (5)
The results of modelling the probable possibilities, uncertain variables and unknowns indicates with a greater than 50% chance for Round 7 3rd XV that:

View and Kings to win narrowly
Scots and TAS to win big

Till next week I am certain that Grammar, TAS and Scots will finish joint competition winners.

:)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
It's a hard life, Wreckless! I will put you down for a signed copy. :)

Seriously Jim - I'm keen to see the finished tome! My Dad's side of the family farmed near Byron Bay in the early 1900's - my Grandfather and his three brothers all legged it from the farm and rode down to Sydney in 1914 to join the Light Horse! Family legend has it that their Dad drove the sulky down to Sydney and dragged my Grandad ( the youngest at 16! ) back to Byron saying " I need someone to help on the bloody farm! "! Grandad took off again the next year and enlisted under a false name - caused my Gran no end of trouble collecting his war pension!!! :D

But back to the footy ( before the Mods banish this off to some other thread! ) - I barracked for TAS last year and was at Stanmore when word came through of the result from Joeys which made TAS Premiers and was rapt to see the boys ( and their support crew! ) go off!! I have a soft spot for the travails of IS though and would like to see Grammar take it out this year! Spread the love!!! Whatever happens - you are right about the 3rd's comp! It's gripping!!! :)

My very best to you with the book Jim! ( Private message me if you want the family details! ).

Cheers, Wreckless

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
^^^^^^^^

Wreckless,
Sometimes the game of Rugby Union isn't about 30 blokes running around with a football. ;) ;) ;)
It is these stories and such hue and cry about losing McKay Oval that makes it brilliant.
And to you too Mr Belshaw, as it may enlighten just one young man that reads this to follow up with you with some prized info, such as wreckless or his protege, GPS Row.

Love it Guys!!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
:) Writing. My main project is a history of Northern NSW, the tablelands and surrounding river valleys to north, east, south and west. The book breaks into three parts: Aboriginal New England up to 1788; the Colonial period; and then New England in the twentieth century. And yes, it includes sport!

I don't want to bore people and it's so far off topic, but it gives me an excuse to go in just so many directions and talk to so many people, to visit pubs, clubs and events and all for a most worthy cause! I will finish it one day, but in the meantime I am putting a constant stream of stuff out in various fora. Did you know that under the influence of W C Wentworth, I forget which one (IV?), he and his fellow Greek students wanted to make TAS the centre of Australian classical studies? As part of this, they presented a play at Kings in classical Greek!

As I said, red herrings.

And my old uni, UNE, has one of the best classics departments in the country.

EDIT: I keep thinking of one of my lecturers every time I read the heading "Rugby Forums" on the G & G R site. He would have sternly reminded us that it should be "Rugby Fora".

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
Life in Mackay. See post below: New refurbishment to be opened at SHS v SGS Firsts, by SGS old boy (not sure on his rugby credentials?).
Fairland Pavilion Refurbishment Opening
In order to celebrate our traditional end of season clash with arch rivals SGS on September 6, the refurbished Fairland Pavilion with its new electronic scoreboard, will be officially opened by The Hon Malcolm Turnbull MP (Moana Pasifika), Member for Wentworth, Minister for Communications and Broadband. At this occasion we will reaffirm our commitment to investing our time and money into Centennial Parklands and its assets – the McKay Playing Fields and the Fairland Pavilion.
Sydney High boys have played on McKay for 82 years. We really value our relationship with the Parklands. I trust that a large crowd of students, parents, Old Boys and well-wishers will join us on Saturday the 6th for the official opening of the building, refurbished by the Sydney High School Foundation at a cost of > $100k. The ceremony is due to commence at 1430, followed by afternoon tea and the 1st XV rugby match at 1515.
For us to demonstrate the strength of our relationship with the Park we need your support. It is not about whether you play rugby, cricket or football but about your connection with High, its programs and long association with Centennial Parklands. I look forward to seeing the High Community out in force to make this landmark day a success.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
^^^^^^^^

Wreckless,
Sometimes the game of Rugby Union isn't about 30 blokes running around with a football. ;) ;) ;)
It is these stories and such hue and cry about losing McKay Oval that makes it brilliant.
And to you too Mr Belshaw, as it may enlighten just one young man that reads this to follow up with you with some prized info, such as wreckless or his protege, GPS Row.

Love it Guys!!!!

I will follow up directly with Wreckless, Brian. But QH's comment on UNE classics reminds me of two stories. Having failed Latin, at TAS, I decided to do elementary Latin as an extra at UNE. I failed again (!), the only failure on my transcript, but our UNE Latin teacher was a great cook.

And a TAS story. I brought a girlfriend, a Latin teacher, to Armidale and introduced her to Alan Cash, the then TAS head. She told him she taught classics. He looked at her in his characteristic way; you teach Greek and Latin. No, she said, just Latin. My dear. he said, you are not a classicist, just a latinist. Opps!

I promise that this is the last red herring.

S

spirit of cupertino

You know JB, when we don't at first succeed we should just try and destroy all the evidence. It's easier that way. I can only imagine that with the private tutorage that you no doubt received from said girlfriend that you have have overcome your misfortunes in latin translation and the irregular verbs especially. It is a wonderful tale of the redemptive power of single mindedness. Do you think the Scots Pod system is in any way related to the Roman flanking manoeuvers - small guerrila groups fleet of foot?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
You know JB, when we don't at first succeed we should just try and destroy all the evidence. It's easier that way. I can only imagine that with the private tutorage that you no doubt received from said girlfriend that you have have overcome your misfortunes in latin translation and the irregular verbs especially. It is a wonderful tale of the redemptive power of single mindedness. Do you think the Scots Pod system is in any way related to the Roman flanking manoeuvers - small guerrila groups fleet of foot?

Oh dear, SoC, you do tempt me. I used to be able to translate the girls followed the sailors into the cave, the farmers chased the sailors from the cave. If I were to be tempted, I might say that Scots (and some other schools?) belonged to the later Roman period when entire legions were recruited from beyond the frontier. But I wouldn't say that, of course.

S

spirit of cupertino

That's a good point JB. Even down to the lowly philosopher and poet. I am thinking however of the entire western and even eastern (think Ghengis Kahn) history, being a history of wars, and invariably the heavy forward pack of soldiers of the established empire being outpaced by a new light armoured and fast attacking pack. Is this not View vs Scots?

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
That's a good point JB. Even down to the lowly philosopher and poet. I am thinking however of the entire western and even eastern (think Ghengis Kahn) history, being a history of wars, and invariably the heavy forward pack of soldiers of the established empire being outpaced by a new light armoured and fast attacking pack. Is this not View vs Scots?

As a former forward, I think of us as the legions, highly disciplined, controlled, the grunts who made things happen. As a breakaway, I think of myself as a member of the legions' special forces with the capacity to break away from the pack to inflict targeted pain, I mean tackles. The modern backs like those of Scots or, dare I say it, TAS, are an afront to the purity of warfare. Larger, fast, they can join the wall to fill a gap or rush away on individual or combined raids. A strong legion can still frustrate the opposition, can grind them to to dust, but its distinctly harder.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The most successful military campaigners have been those that have achieved balance between all the force elements available to them. No matter how successful the pretty boys (Artillery, Cavalry, Armour, Air Forces, Special Forces, Foreign Mercenary Legions etc) in the Armies have been, at the end of the day some dumb Grunt has had to occupy the bit of dirt captured and continue to prevent the other mob from getting hold of it. That dumb Grunt has had to be supported by a logistic and administration system. The bloke with the most dumb Grunts and best logistics has always won.

In Rugby, if you don't have the balance right between the dumb Grunters wearing the single digits, and the pretty boys supported by a decent Training and S&C system, then you are destined to be unsuccessful. Ultimately the team with the best dumb Grunters will be the most successful over time.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
....Ultimately the team with dumb Grunters will .

I resemble that remark!
Big marn what is forecast?!

Either way there should be some good clashes ... At riverview ...quite a few joeys teams that if they can win on weekend , they will be home and hose

So in various A fixtures there is a lot to play for

And similarly joeys can ruin tiverview chance of glory in the 1sts, if they rise to the occasion

Match of the round to be 15as ... Although all of the 1sts thru 3rds should according to the form guide, be good.

Tipping joeys in an upset

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
.In Rugby, if you don't have the balance right between the dumb Grunters wearing the single digits, and the pretty boys supported by a decent Training and S&C system, then you are destined to be unsuccessful. Ultimately the team with the best dumb Grunters will be the most successful over time.[/quote]

"dumb grunters" be buggered....below please find the the proper role descriptions ...unashamedly lifted from the interweb!!!

Rugby Positions

It bears a passing likeness to "All Manner of Men."

Front Row: Without a doubt the manliest men on the pitch. Large, often hairy, beer swilling carnivores that can and will smash anything in their path. Reveling in the violence inherent in the scrum, they are rarely considered "nice" people, and in fact to some they aren't even considered humans at all. Front rowers tolerate this attitude far and wide because they recognize their role at the top of the food chain and are used to suffering the fools that surround them. Accused by some of simply being dumb, I prefer to think of this group as "open to unconventional ways of thinking."
Locks: Slightly below the front row on the food chain. As with front row players it is inadvisable to put an appendage you wish to keep near this group's maw when they are in the feeding mode. This group of large, often foul-smelling brutes is also more than willing to relish the finer points of stomping on a fallen opponent's body and will gleefully recount the tale ad infinitum. While they tend to take the tag "Powerhouse of the Scrum" a little too seriously, they can be useful if inured with the proper hatred of their fellow man. While members of this proud fraternity like to think of themselves as "open to unconventional ways of thinking"- they are usually just dumb.
Back Row: These are fine, fit fellows who, like a bunch of hermaphrodites, are confused as to what their role in life should be. While they know they are undeniably linked to the forwards, there are those among them who long for the perfect hair and long flowing gowns that come with being a back. Some relish the forward role and will do anything to win the ball and there are others within this group that will break the prime directive of the forward and do anything to prance foolishly with the ball. Generally, these guys are not all bad, but I, personally, have to wonder about any forward who brings a hairbrush and a change of clothes to a game.
Scrum Half: Some like to think of this back as an honorary forward. I myself tend to think of the No. 9 as half a fairy. While the toughest back almost always fills this position, this idea is almost laughable - kind of like the hottest fat chick. The scrum half's presence is tolerated by the forwards because they know that he will spin the ball to the rest of the girls in the backline who will inevitably knock the ball on and allow them the pleasure of another scrum. The No. 9 can take pride in the fact that he is the lowest numbered back and that as such he can be considered almost worthwhile.
Fly Half: His primary role is the leader of the backs - a dubious honor at best. Main responsibilities as far as I can tell are ability to throw the ball over people's heads and to provide something soft for opposing back rowers to land on. Expected to direct the prancing of the rest of the backline - the fly half, like any good Broadway choreographer, is usually light on his feet. While some may argue that these girls must be protected, I find it hard to support anyone whose foot touches a rugby ball on purpose.
Centers: Usually come in two varieties: hard chargers or flitting fairies. The hard charger is the one to acquire, as he will announce his presence in a game with the authority rarely found above No. 8. The flitting fairy is regrettably more common and will usually attempt to avoid contact at all costs. The flitting fairy is also only one good smack away from bursting into tears and leaving the pitch to cry on the shoulder of his inevitable girlfriend. Both types will have extensive collections of hair care products in their kit bags and will be among the best dressed at the post-game festivities.
Back 3: While some people refer to this group as two wingers and a fullback, I swear to God I can't make out any difference between them. They are all bleeping bleeps if you ask me. How these three guys can play 90 minutes of RUGBY and stay clean and sweat free is beyond me. I know for a fact that their jerseys sometimes go back in the bag cleaner than when they came out. These ladies are fond of sayings like "Speed Kills" and "Wheels Win" - how cute. Well, I have a saying too: it's "You're a bleeping bleep!!" These guys will be easy to spot after the game because they are the finely coifed, sweater wearin', wine sippin', sweet-talkers in the corner avoiding the beer swilling curs at the bar. On the whole, I really don't mind this group because in the end, they sure are purty to look at.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Couldn't help but notice that Scots v Shore 16As is at Moore Park West this week, not on Scots Main. Have those grounds been done up? They used to be cow paddocks IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.