• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2014

Who will win...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Belshaw

Bob Loudon (25)
And so we come into the last round of the GPS thirds competition. And what an enthralling competition it has been.

As we enter the last round, TAS with a bye is guaranteed a place at the top. Who would have thought it? I wasn't sure at the start. I simply didn't know how good this year's TAS team would be. Now we need to focus on SGS and Scots.

SGS is due to play High next week. On form, SGS should win. Scots plays View. On form, Scots should win.

Obviously as a one-eyed TAS supporter, I might hope that SGS and Scots would lose. That would leave TAS as a clear winner. My heart isn't in that wish. It wouldn't be fair. And, despite certain events, GPS is about fairness.

So we are likely to have three equal premiers in the thirds. Now I know that the GPS doesn't officially rank teams on for an against, but had you noticed that on the points score they seem to? How else to distinguish? On this basis, the final rank is likely to be SGS, TAS and then Scots, which is fair enough.

Mind you, I'm torn. If High could just get up, then SGS would drop back, leaving TAS in front. If View could get up, TAS would clearly be in front. Mmmm! I bite me tongue!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No, I believe I have an appointment to see Mr Turnbull christen the new score board at McKay Oval.
David Knox seen at Shore yesterday doing some homework on the Grammar 1sts so they're obviously planning some trouble for SGS.

Definitely a danger game for Grammar. We've seen a few upsets and near upsets this year. Nothing would surprise.

Mr T may even provide some inspiration for the Grammar boys.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Definitely a danger game for Grammar. We've seen a few upsets and near upsets this year. Nothing would surprise.

Mr T may even provide some inspiration for the Grammar boys.:)

I'm sure he'll have an appropriate anecdote delivered in an appropriate dialect.
By my reckoning he was at Grammar when they last won a rugby premiership of any kind (1970; 2nd XV) and may just have been there when they last won a 1st Xv premiership in 1967.
Hopefully a good omen.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don't think it has anything to do with the media interest. Joeys are always tough at home, they won well against Kings and they have been playing in the slops the last two weeks. The rain the past two weeks is a great leveller.

And on top of that it's close to impossible to maintain peak performance every week - even professional teams struggle with this.

I suspect that they'll be back to their best on a dry track at home this week. Probably a fitting way for the boys to end their season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'm sure he'll have an appropriate anecdote delivered in an appropriate dialect.
By my reckoning he was at Grammar when they last won a rugby premiership of any kind (1970; 2nd XV) and may just have been there when they last won a 1st Xv premiership in 1967.
Hopefully a good omen.

Will his speech have a time limit?;)

BIg Jake

Frank Nicholson (4)
being undefeated premiers i.e. Champions is the ultimate-so Scots stiil lave that to be deprived off next week.Riverview also have a point to prove to themselves-so game on next week and maybe Scots can find a parking ground or two like they do most other things for the supporters and hopefully the sun will shine most of this weekI am still looking forward to that game on.....

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
being undefeated premiers i.e. Champions is the ultimate-so Scots stiil lave that to be deprived off next week.Riverview also have a point to prove to themselves-so game on next week and maybe Scots can find a parking ground or two like they do most other things for the supporters and hopefully the sun will shine most of this weekI am still looking forward to that game on...

Thursday-Saturday showers predicted.
Perhaps the Big Marn can sort this out for us.

DummyRunner

Frank Row (1)
Congratulations to both the New lads and the Scots boys for what was a thrilling contest in very trying conditions at Stanmore yesterday. New were impressive and gave Scots the game the spectators were hoping for. As one of those spectators, the only sour note of a day of great rugby was the embarrassing behaviour of a bunch of New supporters gathered behind the posts at the northern end of the ground. Their sledging was one thing - and to be expected, perhaps - but their deliberate attempts to derail TSC 12 (Chricton) from his conversion attempt were reprehensible and not at all in the spirit of the game, no matter which side you're cheering for. Very disappointing. The boys were all gracious - in both defeat and victory - and are a credit to their parents and their schools. Congratulations again, to all.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Congratulations to both the New lads and the Scots boys for what was a thrilling contest in very trying conditions at Stanmore yesterday. New were impressive and gave Scots the game the spectators were hoping for. As one of those spectators, the only sour note of a day of great rugby was the embarrassing behaviour of a bunch of New supporters gathered behind the posts at the northern end of the ground. Their sledging was one thing - and to be expected, perhaps - but their deliberate attempts to derail TSC 12 (Chricton) from his conversion attempt were reprehensible and not at all in the spirit of the game, no matter which side you're cheering for. Very disappointing. The boys were all gracious - in both defeat and victory - and are a credit to their parents and their schools. Congratulations again, to all.

Couldn't agree more Dummy Runner.
I was on the half way line and there was a group of recent old boys jeering loudly and aggressively whenever Scots dropped the ball.
Very unnecessary and not at all in the spirit of the game.
The behaviour of the current Newington students was exemplary.
Strange how when Newington boys leave they see fit to resort to childish, loutish behaviour.
Don't notice it with any of the other GPS schools.
They do the school no credit at all.

Gregor

Ward Prentice (10)
I believe these spectators were New old boys. A lot of them were wearing shirts with 13 on their backs, which I assume means Class of 2013. A New teacher spoke to them sometime in the 2nd half and advised them to tone it down a bit, which they duly complied with. Unfortunately, I have seen some Scots old boys who gather just outside Scots ground on Cranbrook road and carry on a bit as well. Scots players to their credit weren't distracted and remained focused.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Old Boys being pork chops at 1st XV games are a blight that most schools have to deal with from time to time.

Do not side track this thread with too many more comments on poor behaviour by old boys of <insert school name>.

The point has been made, in the posts above, that there was an issue at New yesterday.

Don't dwell on it. This is the NSW GPS 2014 rugby thread, not the Immature Old Boys Thread.

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
Couldn't agree more Dummy Runner.
I was on the half way line and there was a group of recent old boys jeering loudly and aggressively whenever Scots dropped the ball.
Very unnecessary and not at all in the spirit of the game.
The behaviour of the current Newington students was exemplary.
Strange how when Newington boys leave they see fit to resort to childish, loutish behaviour.
Don't notice it with any of the other GPS schools.
They do the school no credit at all.

I'm sorry but that is a croc of shit. last year at the Scots v Newington game at Bellvue hill the Scots boys showed a dreadful display taunting the kicker Joey Lussick at every coversion attempt. At one point they began to sound all the car horns and rev their motorbikes to try and put him off, old boys are old boys... it sounds like you're just trying to take a jab...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We have now heard from both sides of the "Their Old Boys Behaved Badly" argument.

Any more will be deleted.

@Top Gun. Read post #2843.

Move on everyone.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
HJ, is there a player of the comp named ?

There is not an official one but there will be one named in the Green and Gold GPS Review which will come out a couple of days after the last game.

There will also be a a GPS team of the year and other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.