• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be nice to join the links and have a integrated and progressive rugby sevens pathway for schoolboys. ATM it looks a little adhoc.

The mens "pathway" seems to be in the process of being repathed with changes being made to long establiished tournaments, the likes of the Kiama sevens, to make them a better fit for the Aussie 7's "pathway".

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
The "fair go" invitational seamed to be a well balanced competition, with recognised strong rugby (and sevens) teams invited. (St Gregs is a developing rugby school, with a record of winning state wide 7s comps 2013?, possibly with the inclusion of league players)

Idi Amin was the heavy weight boxing champion of Uganda and uncrowned king of Scotland

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
unfortunately scrum parity is acceptable at school boys rugby, how many students of the dark arts are there, how much opportunity do they have to hone their skills. (How many schools are actually lucky enough to have students that the whole game is just a competition to work out where the next scrum is)
from what I have seen for a strong scumming pack has to work very hard to keep the competition alive and avoid uncontested scrums at schoolboy level

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Be nice to join the links and have a integrated and progressive rugby sevens pathway for schoolboys. ATM it looks a little adhoc.

The mens "pathway" seems to be in the process of being repathed with changes being made to long establiished tournaments, the likes of the Kiama sevens, to make them a better fit for the Aussie 7's "pathway".

Nothing wrong with having a mini-circuit or a sequence of stand alone events. Not sure that funnelling it all for the benefit of one tournament is going to get much traction though.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
unfortunately scrum parity is acceptable at school boys rugby, how many students of the dark arts are there, how much opportunity do they have to hone their skills. (How many schools are actually lucky enough to have students that the whole game is just a competition to work out where the next scrum is)
from what I have seen for a strong scumming pack has to work very hard to keep the competition alive and avoid uncontested scrums at schoolboy level
That is very true ... And insightful

It generally goes something this .... 13as - 15as.. One team has half an idea how to scrummage ... Starts contesting opposition ball, opposing front rower goes off injured ... Team/coach asks for uncontested scrum ... No one disagrees

Referee is happy... As takes pressure off him, no one really too troubled

... However fast forward to 16s, opens and even the higher level front rowers have had minimal schooling in "dark arts"

Now I remember some terrible injuries in 80s, so I do get it, however I think there needs to be "scrum school" ... I know the referees have it

And codes such as gps and cas should decide something like

"uncontested all the way thru to 16s, but then scrum school for all that are partaking in proper contested scrums ... Should be course notes, live demonstrations, etc"

And agree the 1.5 metre push limit is critical

But maybe you (sarcophilus, are right, I am dreaming, if I think dark arts will be recognised

Altgh I would contend that no team, is going to win titles, without some base knowledge in the area

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
That is very true . And insightful

It generally goes something this .. 13as - 15as.. One team has half an idea how to scrummage . Starts contesting opposition ball, opposing front rower goes off injured . Team/coach asks for uncontested scrum . No one disagrees

Referee is happy. As takes pressure off him, no one really too troubled

. However fast forward to 16s, opens and even the higher level front rowers have had minimal schooling in "dark arts"

Now I remember some terrible injuries in 80s, so I do get it, however I think there needs to be "scrum school" . I know the referees have it

And codes such as gps and cas should decide something like

"uncontested all the way thru to 16s, but then scrum school for all that are partaking in proper contested scrums . Should be course notes, live demonstrations, etc"

And agree the 1.5 metre push limit is critical

But maybe you (sarcophilus, are right, I am dreaming, if I think dark arts will be recognised

Altgh I would contend that no team, is going to win titles, without some base knowledge in the area

The big problem SDW is that too many school (and junior) coaches see their role as winning whatever competition that they are in, rather than the development of the player for senior years. It doesn't affect the coach if the player can't scrum when he's 25, so they don't even consider it.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
The big problem SDW is that too many school (and junior) coaches see their role as winning whatever competition that they are in, rather than the development of the player for senior years. It doesn't affect the coach if the player can't scrum when he's 25, so they don't even consider it.
Agree, the junior coaches should be seeking to keep the large and less mobile props in the game, especially rep pathways and take it on themselves to get them fit and develop them as scrummagers. It's no wonder why colts and grade rugby constantly finds itself trying upsize back rowers as props late in their development. The reason is the junior coaches rubbed all our naturally large props out of the game because they didn't get around the park as quickly as the #7. It's a real problem, but until there is some guidance from up on high, it most likely will never change.

BRUMBIEJACK

Larry Dwyer (12)
Brief footage of Newington v Waverley, including 6 of the tries. New were massive in the set scrums [why they didn't use them more for penalties, instead of kicking the ball away]. Yes, New got hammered in the penalty count. Waverley's back line ran in some tries, regret, couldn't see 3 of them from where I was standing. Also, was a beautiful sunny afternoon so I could barely see anything on the screen of the digicam.

Thanks for posting video - wonder why you couldn't see Waverley tries but seem to have captured all New tries at both ends of the field. And how did that New player with the lift tackle above horizontal and drive (right in front of the ref btw) stay on the field ?
Scrums definitely showed limitations of having a Year 10 player at prop. Hoping that he has just been given exposure at trials but will then revert to 16s as he appeared to be having major problems on his side.
Good luck for the year.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is anyone bold enough to write out suspected GPS teams for 2015?

I think these blokes are all returning from last years GPS teams, so would be a fair bet. The exception being the Props which i couldn't see any returning so I took a punt on two returning 1st XV players from 2014.

1. F.Bragg (E)
2. T.Horton (J)(GPS White)
3. M.Girdler (S)
4. R.McCauley (S)(GPS I), 4. N.Gittoes (J)(GPS II)
5. T.Piroddi (N)(GPS II), 5. N.Brown (K)(GPS Blue)
6. J.Doyle (E)(GPS Blue)
7. C.Clifford (N)(GPS White)
8. C.Smith (S)(GPS II)
9. T.Strang (I)(GPS I)
10. J.McGregor (I)(GPS I)
11. J.Prindiville (S)(GPS Blue)
12. D.England (S)(GPS I), 12. A.Sheldon (G)(GPS White)
13. S.Kennewell (N)(GPS II)
14. T.Wright (J)(GPS I), 14. C.Hurley (I)(GPS II)
15. S.Tarogi (N)(GPS II)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think these blokes are all returning from last years GPS teams, so would be a fair bet. The exception being the Props which i couldn't see any returning so I took a punt on two returning 1st XV players from 2014.

1. F.Bragg (E)
2. T.Horton (J)(GPS White)
3. M.Girdler (S)
4. R.McCauley (S)(GPS I), 4. N.Gittoes (J)(GPS II)
5. T.Piroddi (N)(GPS II), 5. N.Brown (K)(GPS Blue)
6. J.Doyle (E)(GPS Blue)
7. C.Clifford (N)(GPS White)
8. C.Smith (S)(GPS II)
9. T.Strang (I)(GPS I)
10. J.McGregor (I)(GPS I)
11. J.Prindiville (S)(GPS Blue)
12. D.England (S)(GPS I), 12. A.Sheldon (G)(GPS White)
13. S.Kennewell (N)(GPS II)
14. T.Wright (J)(GPS I), 14. C.Hurley (I)(GPS II)
15. S.Tarogi (N)(GPS II)

Pretty fine effort there GO III to work all that out - there is a prop from White or Blue Maloney (?) returning too

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Agree, the junior coaches should be seeking to keep the large and less mobile props in the game, especially rep pathways and take it on themselves to get them fit and develop them as scrummagers. It's no wonder why colts and grade rugby constantly finds itself trying upsize back rowers as props late in their development. The reason is the junior coaches rubbed all our naturally large props out of the game because they didn't get around the park as quickly as the #7. It's a real problem, but until there is some guidance from up on high, it most likely will never change.

In our district the problem is and has long been the lack of said large and less mobile kids - lean fit young lads as far as the eye can see and not a born bookend to be had. I blame the tendency of ex piggies to marry skinny Nth Shore types thereby diluting the gene pool. What we need is a focussed breeding program, perhaps involving some ex Eastern European women's power lifters. Maybe Maccas could sponsor?

oarsome

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do I sense a slight smell of inferiority complex/defensiveness ? Second time in the thread that Shore supporter wants to tell everyone theirs was an 'understrength team' beating the defending CAS champions. C'mon guys it's still trials so we don't know who was in or our of the Cranbrook team so there is no way of knowing whether they are also understrength.

And this is the 2015 Cranbrook team that, as with all schoolboy teams is bound to be vastly different from the 2014 team. How about just saying that 'Shore beat Cranbrook 1sts in today's trial' without all the qualifying remarks ?

You're right - only a few players missing. Nothing compared to that of Joeys

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Can anyone post the joeys team that played Knox?

Don't have a full team list but from what I remember
1. Lyeton Holley (16A)
2. Lewis Allan (3rds)
3. Tom Horton (1sts)
4. Sam Cusick (4ths)
6. Angus Vivres
7. Dom Mcgrath (3rds)
9. Tom O'Connor (6ths)
10. Max Thomas (2nds)
11. Kienan Bray (8ths)
12. Joe Schwager (3rds)
13. Blaise Barnes (16A)
14. Ford
15. Riley Fallon (6ths)

rip

Allen Oxlade (6)
8th's to 1st in one year ?
Surely there where some left wingers still at school from last year ?

Status
Not open for further replies.