• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW GPS Cricket 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think T 20 is good way to start the season. Hard to get a real handle on team capabilities. This weekend will be the first real test of teams and individual form. Looking forward to saturday

Completely agree, and looking back on my rankings I just realised that they're near identical to the T20 results. Oops.

At a schoolboy level, I only see T20 as being a detriment to the quality of the boys' cricket, and creates serious issues within the season proper. Some schools can draw the short straw in scheduling if there's a mix of 1 and 2 day matches; they may lose a chance to play potentially weaker teams with the chance to grab outright wins. Having an umpire for a brother, he comments on how he thinks it's actually turning some potentially very good longer-form batters off the game, and is giving seriously poor impressions of the game to younger blokes.

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thank You. Are there many like Dedham (joke) out there that are of the chosen ones ie Cricket AND Rugby? Have we had many through or coming through? The two true Sports should prevail.
Many examples; Redden (View), Kellaway (Scots), Pulver (Shore), O'Brien, O'Donohue, Watts, Newsome, Deegan (Joeys),Strachan? (Kings), Cannell (New) and more that I can't remember.

H

HarveyColon

the colon concurs

at least six players returning from the previous year namely joe ball fiddler mackie and rapid fire paceman tristan truuvert. special mention must go to nick kelland who narrowly missed out on selection.

aahh maclean he's back again.....looking prime for another good season

M

Michelle

grammar will undoubtedly struggle without giri and bishop who formed an integral part of last years squad. both will be sorely missed

Primetime

Allen Oxlade (6)
Grammar: 4/225 or so off 50 (Sutcliffe 126* Carvosso 34 Crawford 30*)
High: 54 all out off about 20

Arrived at 4:30 hoping to watch the end of the match. Deeply disappointed to see that afternoon tea had already been packed up. The above score was a rough indicator given to me by a parent.

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like the matches actually played in the first round went to "predicted" form except for Joeys V Riverview. I am told it was an extremely close run thing with Rodgers being the difference with a majestic 102 against a very tight View attack. The scores, relative to other matches played, indicate it was a very tight game.

O

oath sully

grammar will undoubtedly struggle without giri and bishop who formed an integral part of last years squad. both will be sorely missed

These two were undoubtedly the form players last year along with Wilson who succumbed to injuries early in the season. Very unfortunate for grammar cricket. Michelle are the reports about Wilson repeating on pathways true?

O

oath sully

Also GPS table is as follows:
1. Scots
1. Grammar
3. Joeys
4. Newington
5. Shore
6. Riverview
7. High
8. Kings

Still don't know too much about newington, anyone care to fill me in?

ld2b

Allen Oxlade (6)
A very competent side up against Joeys this weekend and next for the first of the 2 day games. Potentially feeling the weight of expectation given the 150th celebrations coming up next year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How good is this story from today's Fitz Files in the SMH? The "post match" activities not the score.

Last Saturday the King's School 4th XI played Sydney High's 4th XI in the GPS Cricket, only for the Sydney High team to be dismissed for zero runs off just 19 balls, with King's bowler Brad Thomas taking 6-0 (including a double hat-trick). With the first run in reply from King's - from a dropped sitter off the first ball of the innings - King's won the game. Alas, it was far from satisfying. With many of the Sydney High lads having grown up in Asian countries and households where cricket has not been the game of choice, it had been far from a fair contest. But wait. Why stop so soon? One of the King's players, Uday Soni, suggests that rather than all the players going home after such a brief day's cricket, they play a game of Twenty20 cricket in mixed teams. And so they do. The players split themselves into two teams each with half King's and half High players and go on to play a game amid great banter, as the usual school loyalties dissipated, replaced by loyalty to the game itself and their new friends. It included a fair deal of friendly instruction on some of the finer points of the game by the King's boys to the High lads - given with compassion and humility, and all taken by them in great spirit. Well done to King's school captain Jack McCalman and 4th XI captain Hugh Morgan who drove the whole thing. One of the Sydney High players said afterwards that despite being bowled out for a duck, it was the most enjoyable game he had played in six years. Gotta love this city!

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/the-fitz-files/afl-sinks-boot-into-rugbys-heart-20121109-293gc.html#ixzz2Bmk1qUce

Jack McCalman is well known in rugby circles, IIRC.

crickeeeeeett

Frank Row (1)
who won joeys game today?

newington won by 31 runs, Wood took 3 wickets, Atallah and Morris taking 2 each for new. Moxon 40no for Joeys and Tate 44. Rodgers failed with the bat getting out 2nd over day 2. Not sure whether Rodgers is all he's cracked up to be having watched the game myself? Didnt look comforatble against the high class bowling from Morris and Stewart the off spinner opening the bowling for New

N

NSWGPS2012

newington must be a good outfit this year after a good win against joeys

G

get.em.snicking

newington look to be a good outfit this year after a good win against joeys and rubbing it in 2nd innings by batting out the day they will be looking to take some points against kings next week. From my view of the comp so far besides scots no bowling attacks have the same ferocity they did last year, (newington are better but not overly dangerous) some of guys such as maddocks (ends last year) and suttcliffe seriously struggled last year not taking any credit away from there stellar performances so far this year 2 hundreds each. We can expect to see constantly high scores I'd say with close too 25 hundreds al up this year. here is my pick for GPS
1) Maddocks (Scots)
2) Sutcliffe (Grammar)
3) Spratt (Riverview)
4) Atallah (Newington)
5) Rodgers (Joeys)
6) Jackson/ Eaton (both need more runs but can perform) Newington and scots
7) borg (Riverview)
8) Shepherd (C) (Kings)
9) Skelly (Scots)
10) Coutts (Scots) if he's back bowling then
11) Stobo (Shore)
12) Slocombe (Riverview) keeper i don't believe suttcliffe is keeping
13) unsure (any suggestions)

13) Burns? (Joeys)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
OK for those of you yet to get the message, this isn't Sportal. It's not the place for slinging shit about your mates, or running down other schools.

If your post isn't directly related to GPS cricket OR it shows the maturity of a fucking five year old, you will be banned.

If there is a pattern of fuckwits coming from one particular school (I have one in mind at the moment) then that schools IP will be banned.

It's pretty simple.

crickeeeeeett

Frank Row (1)
Stop talking so much BS and thanks to whoever for deleting those posts
here's what the table looks like after two games
1) Scots 16 points
2)Newington 9 points
3) grammar/riverview 8 points
4) Joeys/Kings 6 points
5) Shore 3 points
6) High 0 points
After this it looks like Scots are the main contender for the title (anyone have any ideas who else has the potential to take it) if kings want to finish with any respect in tact at the end of the season there going to require a super performance each week from shepherd I heard that on the weekend he got 114 got out at 5-194 chasing 228 and they got it 9 down. I'm expecting big things in the kings newington game this week if shepherd can deliver it will be a close one. My pick for player of the season will have to be suttcliffe i think he can back up his first two centuries with two for three more and perhaps one of the best batting seasons ever in GPS

Newington were a strong contender at the beginning of the season, however the washout against shore where they potentially could have taken 8 points may be their downfall. Sutcliffe may struggle against higher quality attacks like new and scots

Status
Not open for further replies.