• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS - The Next Generation - U16 Competition, and Presidents XV Rep Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
^^^^^^^
Will Terry is a good example 10to12. Standout, IMO.
I still think its a relatively weaker year group for GPS than say last year.
Earlier post re schools team ( Edit Brown for Goddard)​
My attempt at positions for 16 schools team .Feel free to add the others. I couldn't find them from the programs I have
1 Afu
2 Schoupe
3 Crotti
4 Brown
5 Margin
6 Hingano
7 Delahoya
8 Basson
9 Kyle Brown
10 Dainton
11 Veitch
12 Lough
13 Hopoate
14 Armstrong
15 Bosch
This is not an attempt at starting line up, just putting names to positions. Looks like a very strong group of boys​
I agree Will Terry, he would fit into my 50/50 and would easily slot into the team . My point still is who would you drop.​
The schools backline is looking awfully like the gordon boys who have played together since 10s. The others .are in the SJRU team.​
I agree this year is not the strongest GPS year but I'll add that I think this is a trend and without "add ons" will only get worse​

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I would have to agree with you there, i think 16's GPS is a lot stronger then other comps such as CAS and ISA, i think politics played a big part in the choosing of those teams.

I just want to clarify my original point which IS correctly understood.

Which was that the strength of the current crop of U16's in the GPS should not be based on how the GPS A's and B's did in the NSW Schools selections.

Selections are a black art and as with all things that require human judgement they are subject to all manner of influencing factors......that's life.

The balancing act as always when selecting the first and seconds team is the selectors have to massage those 46 players into an A and B team based on what they see as relative strengths and the type of game they want to play.... AND then they have to sort out the benches which is arguably even more difficult....far from being an apologist for selectors I have to say its a thankless and difficult task and one that I'm glad I don't have to do. I just think some years they get the balance right and other years they may not...If they don't get it right and the team doesn't perform to expectations then its not only the strength of the players cohort that should be examined.

And just to keep things in perspective.......At the end of the day this group of lads (and their non GPS counterparts) will be free to play for club sides if they want to continue with their Rugby in 2017. It is then when professional teams and/or money is involved that we will see who rises to the surface, and then selection and or non selection in NSW schools when they are 16 wont matter a zac.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
James Swan (Scots long time ago) is the bloke on The Call of The Wallaby. He was in the same year as Sam Carter.

He played NSW Schools U16 and made the Australian U16 Merit team that year.

He is currently playing 2nd Grade Sydney Club Rugby, meanwhile Sam Carter is about to earn his third cap for the Wobs.

Success at U16 is no guarantee of future success. About 1/2 the Aust Schoolboys never rise to Wallaby level.

Plenty of U16 Rockstars fail to kick on when they leave school, for all sorts of reasons. All that can be said is that, in the opinion of a couple of selectors, they were deemed to be worthy of a representative jumper at that time.

T

The Big Marn

James Swan (Scots long time ago) is the bloke on The Call of The Wallaby. He was in the same year as Sam Carter.

He played NSW Schools U16 and made the Australian U16 Merit team that year.

He is currently playing 2nd Grade Sydney Club Rugby, meanwhile Sam Carter is about to earn his third cap for the Wobs.

Success at U16 is no guarantee of future success. About 1/2 the Aust Schoolboys never rise to Wallaby level.

Plenty of U16 Rockstars fail to kick on when they leave school, for all sorts of reasons. All that can be said is that, in the opinion of a couple of selectors, they were deemed to be worthy of a representative jumper at that time.

Hi Hugh, I think you're mistaken here. It'd be far more than 50% not playing for the Wallabies.

GPS Observer

Herbert Moran (7)
If Grammar or High have a good A side which is dominating the various B sides in ,say, U14 or U15, is there provision to bring them into 16A by the time they reach that age group?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If Grammar or High have a good A side which is dominating the various B sides in ,say, U14 or U15, is there provision to bring them into 16A by the time they reach that age group?

They don't so its entirely hypothetical.
What they do have is a good better than usual 16A's.

Freddo Frog

Ward Prentice (10)
The 16A's has been a brilliant group to watch this season. So many games have been hard fought with very close results.

Paddogreen

Herbert Moran (7)
They don't so its entirely hypothetical.
What they do have is a good better than usual 16A's.

It raises the point about whether these sides can play sides higher than the 'C's. High 13a's are undefeated and put 80 on Kings and Shore 13c's declined to play them. Why not give them a shot at the B's or A's?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It raises the point about whether these sides can play sides higher than the 'C's. High 13a's are undefeated and put 80 on Kings and Shore 13c's declined to play them. Why not give them a shot at the B's or A's?

Grammar have been playing Bs in a couple of age groups.
In 16s all was well until SJC touched them up - as I would expect given my profound respect for SJC rugby

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The 16A's has been a brilliant group to watch this season. So many games have been hard fought with very close results.

Absolutely agreed, hard fought and played in great spirit with little separating the top 4 teams and the others not too far out of the picture either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Great win to Kings 16a's over Joeys 13-10... A see sawing battle and scores locked up at 10 all 1 minute from full time with a penalty goal to Kings taking the game in the dying seconds

Parra biff

Bob McCowan (2)
Riverview 16a's winning there first game this season, great win against shore 31-7. This is the first win in three years for that age group, the boys should be proud.

Parra biff

Bob McCowan (2)
Great win to Kings 16a's over Joeys 13-10. A see sawing battle and scores locked up at 10 all 1 minute from full time with a penalty goal to Kings taking the game in the dying seconds

Heard scots beat newington 13-0, can some confirm this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.