• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The point is about changing the rules in mid stream.
Sure they may now be how you want them but at what cost?
Short terms thinkers reign, as ever.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
It seems we’ve had a change in tack.
It used to be we did our best but due to circumstances beyond our control...yada, yada
Now it’s exhausted children, adults despising kids and jealousy over selections, any excuse will do. It completely ignores the issue here which is the comp and every kid in it has been dicked around to the detriment of rugby.

Here’s a tip. Don’t want to draw the heat? Change your behaviour and stop blaming others for your shortcomings.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Uncle Iroh seems to be a kid.
Instead of big timing yourselves why don't you re-read what he wrote.
Sure - the adults who let it happen may have to take the blame but this is one of the kids you all think you know better than he knows himself.

T

The Chef

Sure - the adults who let it happen may have to take the blame but this is one of the kids you all think you know better than he knows himself.

I have to agree with you here, Inside Shoulder. Not much black and white on this issue, as in life, apart from the tarts in the oven.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)

You powers of insight are greater than mine IS, I can't see anything in uncle Iro's post that suggests he's a kid. Criticism = big timing? ok then.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
I believe HJ did respond. The rules were changed (whether people agree or not), players and there parents at the beginning of the season made decisions on how to respond to these changes. Players and parents in Chatswood made the decision to try and play both school and SJRU to qualify for the SJRU State Championships and further club representative honours, that was their choice, it clearly was a difficult choice but one that they made. As many have said they have complied with the rules as they are written.

Uncle Iroh complains about playing too much Rugby, and by what he is saying playing 2,3 or 4 hard games is too much for a weekend. However, there are players from other clubs who Chatswood have forfeited against that did not get even 1 game of Rugby that weekend because they were forfeited against. These players registered in the competition in good faith assuming that all clubs in that competition would be competing, so each decision has ramifications and players/parents of these families are frustrated.

Players (and their parents) are always going to want to play in Rep teams. I am sure there are children that want to play for the 1st XV of a GPS school even though they attend a public school but there are rules in place to prevent this whether people/players like them or not.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You powers of insight are greater than mine IS, I can't see anything in uncle Iro's post that suggests he's a kid. Criticism = big timing? ok then.

No doubt about that.
Thats why I suggested you re-read it but since the red mist seems to have descended I'll quote the bit that tipped me off:
So thank you Sydney junior rugby for making me hate playing club rugby, and thank you old people for having the audacity to discriminate against children you have never met personally in a disgusting manner where they can't defend themselves. This isn't constructive, it's just a bunch of old men having a bitch about a club and the 'kids' that play within it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I believe HJ did respond. The rules were changed (whether people agree or not), players and there parents at the beginning of the season made decisions on how to respond to these changes. Players and parents in Chatswood made the decision to try and play both school and SJRU to qualify for the SJRU State Championships and further club representative honours, that was their choice, it clearly was a difficult choice but one that they made. As many have said they have complied with the rules as they are written.

Uncle Iroh complains about playing too much Rugby, and by what he is saying playing 2,3 or 4 hard games is too much for a weekend. However, there are players from other clubs who Chatswood have forfeited against that did not get even 1 game of Rugby that weekend because they were forfeited against. These players registered in the competition in good faith assuming that all clubs in that competition would be competing, so each decision has ramifications and players/parents of these families are frustrated.

Players (and their parents) are always going to want to play in Rep teams. I am sure there are children that want to play for the 1st XV of a GPS school even though they attend a public school but there are rules in place to prevent this whether people/players like them or not.

If Uncle Iroh is who I think he is then he played 12 games in 21 days.
But if not picked in various teams he would have played 5 or 6.
How can an U16 y.o. make a decision in February (after he's already registered) based on what might happen in June/July assuming the cards fall his way.
I know of one kid who played 15 games in 21 days - about 6 9 of those he had no idea he would be playing when he signed up in February.
As I said - many of these kids would have had their eye on U16s reps for 3 or 4 years. A late change to the rules is not necessarily something a 15 year old is equipped to evaluate and make the decisions you would have him make. I think the kids should be left out of the criticism entirely: funnily enough so does the one kid who has posted.
There's a lot bandwagoners here - Slugga is not one he picked the issue very early, but blotted his account with some ranting about so-called "super teams".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
12 games in 21 days (or 15 games in 21 days) is excessive.

Are they all necessary, and is it essential that they absolutely have to be played in the period surrounding the June Long Weekend to the Schools U16 Championship?

Splendid examples of the Traffic Controllers on The Pathway/s operating in complete isolation of each other.

All that pressure on essentially the same pool of boys# to perform in June/July in front of 5 groups of selectors* (when for 1/2 the kids School Footy hasn't even started properly) for Rep Games that will happen in October.

* District Selectors to make the State Champs Team, Zone Selectors at State Champs, Sydney Selectors at Regional Tournament, School Association Selectors to make the School U16 Championships, NSW Schools U16 Selectors.

# The NSW Country JRU selection process has its equivalents and is also reasonably convoluted and politically driven.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree. The problem I have however is we are trying to grow the game outside of the private schools and the kids who aren't involved in Private School Rugby or the rep program then play 1-2 games in 5 weeks due to teams forfeiting over this period or later in the year because the rep/private school kids are just too beat up to continue.

Maybe we either advertise a rep break in the middle of the year (although would not help the forfeits later in the year) or delay the rep program until later in the year or simply remove a layer or two or some of the players need to be better guided by the parents/coaches on what is best for them in the long term. The amount of 15-16 year olds I see which have to play with excessive amounts of bandaging is just not good.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip> The amount of 15-16 year olds I see which have to play with excessive amounts of bandaging is just not good.

You are right but if you think that is bad, you want to see how much tape they go through in Colts.

Kids are desperate to get on the field to maintain their spot in the team, and will do whatever it takes to keep that spot.

Druid

Herbert Moran (7)
You are right but if you think that is bad, you want to see how much tape they go through in Colts.

Kids are desperate to get on the field to maintain their spot in the team, and will do whatever it takes to keep that spot.

HJ, I still play subbies so strapping is liberally used there (even in pre-season training). Heavy strapping required for a 40 yr old to play is one thing, heavy strapping for anyone Under 16 and below is bad. As I said guidance is required (easier said then done I know).

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
No doubt about that.
Thats why I suggested you re-read it but since the red mist seems to have descended I'll quote the bit that tipped me off:

Got it, sorry I don't have time to go through every comment tooth and comb. Luckily I have you doing it for me IS - carry on.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
For you younger folk, there was a time when club and CHS were the premier rugby pathway. Chatswood ,Matraville, Epping and James Ruse high to name a few were the best schoolboy teams playing (and Joeys)

I hope that's me that you're calling young:)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I agree. The problem I have however is we are trying to grow the game outside of the private schools and the kids who aren't involved in Private School Rugby or the rep program then play 1-2 games in 5 weeks due to teams forfeiting over this period or later in the year because the rep/private school kids are just too beat up to continue.

Maybe we either advertise a rep break in the middle of the year (although would not help the forfeits later in the year) or delay the rep program until later in the year or simply remove a layer or two or some of the players need to be better guided by the parents/coaches on what is best for them in the long term. The amount of 15-16 year olds I see which have to play with excessive amounts of bandaging is just not good.

Play the rep stuff after the village season. That way we can have a club season uninterrupted by rep football and those who wish to play at the rep level can get up to their selection and political manoeuvers after the rest of us have packed up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Been a bit of discussion about eligibility criteria for the SJRU rep teams, principally targeting one particular Club team that is widely rumoured to fold after JSC.

From the Horses mouth:

SJRU Regional Tournament (U14’s to U18’s)
o Players must have played / signed on for a minimum of ONE competition round between the State Championships weekend and the Regionals. (ie rounds 8 or 9).

Sydney vs Country (U14’s to U18’s)
o Players must have played / signed on for a minimum of TWO competition round between the State Championships weekend and the Sydney vs Country game. (ie rounds 8 to 11).
o Players must have been selected and available for the schedule dates (particularly as this is in Tamworth).

NSW Invitational (U16’s)
o Players must have played / signed on for a minimum of THREE competition round between the State Championships weekend and the NSW Invitational. (ie rounds 8 to 14).
o Players must have been selected and available for the schedule dates.
<snip>

Ain't karma a bitch?

14 SJRU Competition rounds have been completed.
Round 14 declared a washout round, therefore all players are considered to have signed on for the round.

According to Buddha, the playing record of a club with four (4) players in the SJRU U16's and four (4) players in the Presidents XV has been:
Played: Rounds 1, 2, 3, 4, and 8. (5 Games Played)
Forfeit: Rounds 5,6,7,9,11, 12 and 13 (Dobbed in by a snitch). (7 Games forfeited)
Bye: Round 10 (This counts as a game played, even though it is in the middle of 3 forfeited games).
Washout: Round 14 (This counts as a game played).

Our lads under the microscope have met the minimum requirements to progress their Representative Careers, on the back of a Bye and Washout.

Only issue remaining is how a Team with 7 forfeits can still be considered as part of the Competition and not deemed to have withdrawn from the competition IAW rule 5.5.H)

5.5 Forfeits
H) The Competition Manager may disqualify any Team that forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season. If a Team forfeits three (3) or more Matches in a season, they will be required to furnish an explanation to the Competition Manager as to why they should remain in the Competition. In this instance the Team will be deemed to have withdrawn from the Competition and Competition Rule 3.13 will apply and / or the Team will become ineligible to participate in the Final Series.

I can perhaps understand some rules being "interpreted" kindly if there is an intent to "keep the faith" with the SJRU through to the Under 17's, but by all accounts there is zero intent to continue with the SJRU "Pathway" into Under 17's/Opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.