• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
12 March 2014
To all SJRU Districts, Clubs and Players
We have been advised by the ARU today that the 2014 Under 16 National Championships have been cancelled.
We realise that many players, parents, coaches, and indeed Districts and Clubs, view this tournament as a prestigious stepping stone in the Representative pathway and will be greatly disappointed that it has been cancelled.
Sydney Juniors has immediately commenced discussions with Victoria and ACT to organise a tournament on the October long weekend along similar lines to the Under 16 Nationals. We will also be approaching the other States and inviting them to also participate. Further details of the proposed tournament will be distributed in the next few weeks.
In the meantime the SJRU will be choosing an Under 16’s team from the NSW Regionals on 28 and 29 June which will play NSW Country Juniors in Tamworth on 27 July.
Should you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to email Kerry Brady the SJRU Competitions Manager at kbrady@nswrugby.com.au.

So the NSW State Championships will be going ahead on the June Long Weekend, regardless of the recent cancellation of the National Under 16 Championships, and the inaugural running of the Junior Gold Cup for Under 15's and Under 17's.

The Grandfather Clause/Rort. The eligibility criteria for participation at the State Championships has been amended to remove the "grandfather" clause that allowed players who were not actively playing junior village club rugby in the current year to participate in the State Championships, and consequently be selected to represent Sydney JRU or NSW Country JRU age group teams.

Under 17's
Looking at the Open Grade, and assuming that all players in the SJRU comp qualify as U17 players, there will be a maximum of 8 SJRU teams at State Champs. Of these only 3 districts will have more than one Village club team to choose their players from (Gordon, Penrith and Eastwood). Uni, Randwick, Easts, and Parramatta can not field a district team for State Champs because they do not have Village Club players in the SJRU competition.

As a contrast, there were only 6 SJRU District teams at the 2013 U17's.

Under 16's
This brings us to my favourite age group the Under 16's. Boy, has this been fun in the past. With the prospect of 2 bites at the Selection Cherry for Club and School teams at the now discontinued National Champs, entry into JGS or NGS, Year 10 scholarships, this age group has been heavily subscribed to in the past with many non-SJRU players in attendance. All the worst aspects of the Mr and Mrs Aus-Sports parents and vainglory seeking Coaches, Managers, Administrators and Officials have previously come to the fore at some stage of the tournament.

Notwithstanding the negatives on the sidelines and back rooms, the rugby has been of an extremely high standard in this age group. Many of the players have been in the 1st XV or 16A's at their school, and plenty of the more skilled dual coders keeping their options open for both codes have been here to play some footy. Most of these have been at State Champs since Under 10's and it is often the last State Champs for them before they disappear into School footy or SG Ball Loig.

Without the "Grandfather" eligibility clause/rort this year, there will be a maximum of 9 SJRU Districts represented. No Uni, Easts. Only Gordon (4 Village club teams), Eastwood, Penrith, Norths, Parramatta and Rats (2 Village Club teams each) have more than one Village Club team to select their District Rep Team from. The possible representative team from Manly plays in SJRU U16 C division and they may struggle to trouble the scorekeepers against some of the more fancied sides.

It is a fairly safe bet to assume that the 2015 U17 JCG Selectors/Scouts will be present, so there will still be an incentive to showcase talent, provided they are registered with a Village Club. Despite all public statements to the contrary, Clipboards from Schools will be lurking on the sidelines of the U15 and 16 games, as will many Mungo and Shute Shield Clipboard wielders keeping an eye out on the cattle market.

Under 15's
The Interstate teams in the U15's will be chock full of confidence on the back of their pre-season development courtesy of the JGC programme (as will many of the Country Zone teams. The SJRU Districts will need to bring their A game to the Champs if they want their name on the silverware. Fresh out of the JGC, many of the kids (and parents) will be keen to do well at these champs to remain on the talent scouts radar screen. They will not be in JGC programme again until the end of 2015 when this cohort will become front and centre for 2016 JGC U17.

Rep trials are probably under way or will soon be underway in many districts, although most of the JGC boys will have already been pencilled in by the District Selectors.

Under 14's
The U14's (if they stick to tried and true formula) will be a trip away to Orange. Take the winter woollies. For many it will be their first time away from home on a rugby tour. They should come away from this with some great memories of the fun that you can have on a sporting tour with your mates.

Under 13's and below will just be a maelstrom of activity with kids, footy balls, and happy laughter. Memo to parents, coaches, managers and administrators in these age group, FFS do not ruin it for the kids with your involvement. In these age groups, Rugby is for fun. Chill out, talk to some of the other parents who have travelled. Be nice to people. Let kids be kids and enjoy some carefree time in the sunshine. and fresh air.

Edited: Corrections made to district affiliation counts.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Under 16's
Without the "Grandfather" eligibility clause/rort this year, there will be a maximum of 9 SJRU Districts represented. No Uni, Easts or Parramatta. Only Gordon and Eastwood (4 Village club teams each), Norths and Rats (2 Village Club teams each) have more than one Village Club team to select their District Rep Team from. The possible representative teams from Penrith and Manly play in SJRU U16 C division and they may struggle to trouble the scorekeepers against some of the more fancy sides.

HJ- I don't think the "Grandfather" and the U16's issue is dead just yet. I'd be surprised if all the teams nominated in the SJRU U16's comps are there after the long weekend. The flipside effect of removing the Grandfather clause may be that the SJRU comp gets kicked in the backside following State Champs, as these players have been "made" register to play in order to be eligible for Reps - and once Reps is gone, so may they be.

Also Hills are in the Parramatta District so Parra will have a team. And Penrith Rep team will basically be the Western Raptors whom are in A grade and are a combination of last years Raptors and Hawkesbury teams. Gordon should again be favourites ahead of Penrith. Norths and Eastwood both look weaker than last year.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
My bad with Hills Club. I had them counted as part of the Woodies.
The boys and I have had some fun there in the olden days at the King of the Hills tournaments.

I also mixed up counting up chicken scratchings I scrawled down from Buddha with Wests and West Raptors. Amendments will be made above.

Who owns Norwest? I have counted them as part of the Woodies domain.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Many of the U16A and Opens games are effectively trial games for State Champs.

I will be watching with interest to see if the same empire builders involved in last years u15's rort, laughingly called the selection of the Sydney side, are back again./

Will Hunters Hill/Norths/Barbars have a disproportionate representation again despite their lack of success?

Will Chatswood who can barely field a side suddenly have an influx of players ready to play for Gordon? (only to disappear again when reps have finished).

Will the SJRU do anything about this odious clique or are they happy to allow self-interested bozo's to continue to destroy rugby?

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
vp reps for SJRU and NSWJRU is from hunters hill

strong roomers that Chatswood will fold after the state champs, and that wahroongah and chatswood will sign on players that are not at games for eligibility

same pattern evident in the age group below

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
vp reps for SJRU and NSWJRU is from hunters hill

Last year’s 15’s North's coach was also Sydney coach which explains how 8 North's players from barbarians, who could only win one game in regional’s against Southern, can be selected in Sydney team, with several going on to NSW.

Nothing subtle about these blokes.

I suspect rumours re Chatswood folding after reps are true as they can barely field a side and are yet to step on the paddock this year. (Creating another group of disillusioned kids, why would you join that mob?)

Have a mate at Wahroonga who is just as disgusted with all of this and is doing his best to ensure they will not be involved in this kind of crap.

Once again what is the SJRU going to do about it?

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
No the Sydney coaches were from elsewhere and where unbiased. Not sure about the rest of the selectors or people whom had influence. Input from coaches and other officials do have a large influence on selection when the coaches don't know the boys. selection of a high level team is difficult over 2 days. It also helps to be in a good team.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
No the Sydney coaches were from elsewhere and where unbiased. Not sure about the rest of the selectors or people whom had influence. Input from coaches and other officials do have a large influence on selection when the coaches don't know the boys. selection of a high level team is difficult over 2 days. It also helps to be in a good team.

2013 Sydney Coaches

Under 14’s – Peter Camp (Head Coach)
Under 15’s – Bill Bell (Head Coach), Ian Westwood, Zac Beer (Coaching Staff), Laurie McMartin (Manager).
Under 16’s – Jed Hogan (Head Coach), Gerard McLenaghan, Jonathon Walsh (Coaching Staff), Scott Rogan (Manager)
Under 17’s – James Lancaster, David Zwart (Coaching Staff), Greg McLaren (Manager), Andrew Leeds (Physio)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Were any of these coaching/administration staff part of the U15 or U17 JGC programme?

If so, they would know the strengths and weaknesses of many of the boys, as well as being up to date with the latest coaching techniques, drills and strategies from the team at ARU HPU.

If not, the boys may get some inconsistent coaching as they journey along on the Pathway to Gold.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
No the Sydney coaches were from elsewhere

Head coach from Mosman, now HH/Mosman - so much for elsewhere!

Selectors had state champs and regionals, that's eight games to view the cattle.

If it 'helps to be in a good team' can you explain the disproportionate representation of North's (third in champs) and Barbarians with the sole win at regionals?

I understand there will always be disappointment and differences of opinion but an objective view of the performance of all teams suggest it doesn't stack up.

Sorry fat cat, not convincing. You wouldn't be from elsewhere would you?

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The coaches for Sydney 15s last year were from the south and as far as I know have no links with north of the bridge. I think the selectors were the issue last year as Bill and Laurie didn't know the age group so were swayed by certain people. They were however the selectors for the Barbarian team so had closer ties to the management of the barbarians

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Im pretty sure Tom Jeavon Fellows (sorry for spelling) is the 16s Mos/Hh coach this year and had nothing to do with selections or coaching of zone and above last year in the 15s

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the JGC programme "upskilled" a stack of coaching talent to the latest and greatest coming out from the ARU coaching gurus.

Junior Clubland representative selection is part of the "Pathway". We need consistent training "messages" being passed on to the young folk.

Did none of the recently "qualified" JGC programme coaches apply?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Head coach from Mosman, now HH/Mosman - so much for elsewhere!

Selectors had state champs and regionals, that's eight games to view the cattle.

If it 'helps to be in a good team' can you explain the disproportionate representation of North's (third in champs) and Barbarians with the sole win at regionals?

I understand there will always be disappointment and differences of opinion but an objective view of the performance of all teams suggest it doesn't stack up.

Sorry fat cat, not convincing. You wouldn't be from elsewhere would you?
They may have been third but you have a look at the scoreline in the semi compare it with final and then look at the pool game score v the finalist other than Gordon.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
They may have been third but you have a look at the scoreline in the semi compare it with final and then look at the pool game score v the finalist other than Gordon.
Spot on IS. Both Norths and Gordon were head and shoulders above the other sides last year, playing out a draw in the semi final I think? I'm unfamiliar with who coached, selected or whatever in zone or Sydney or above in last years 15's, but none the less it is quite normal for barbarians sides to get quite a few players through to Sydney and NSW. The barbarians concept is there surely to enable good players overlooked for whatever reason by their zone selectors to be included in the tournament so the Sydney and NSW selectors can continue to view them and make them eligible for higher honours.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Spot on IS. Both Norths and Gordon were head and shoulders above the other sides last year, playing out a draw in the semi final I think? I'm unfamiliar with who coached, selected or whatever in zone or Sydney or above in last years 15's, but none the less it is quite normal for barbarians sides to get quite a few players through to Sydney and NSW. The barbarians concept is there surely to enable good players overlooked for whatever reason by their zone selectors to be included in the tournament so the Sydney and NSW selectors can continue to view them and make them eligible for higher honours.

It was a 10-all draw.
Gordon went through because they scored 2 tries to 1, I think.
The simple fact is that even at state champs level the unevenness in the teams can make a player in a certain position look a lot better or a lot worse. A good half with a poor pack being the most obvious example.
That's life, pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.