• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
(U15) I think it will be a tight contest for the hooker spot, all hookers play a different style of rugby, Bremner and Dombkins more alike but Devine definitely different. Dombkins and Bremner battled it out in the final both showing some class. Come scrum time Norths front row caused Gordon some trouble. Dombkin's threw over a well drilled Gordon lineout with some minor faults . Devine is more of a physical player that's loves the rough stuff, the others like to play almost like a back rower especially Bremner.
As I've said in the past I think that Devine is a standout and will be picked as the starting hooker, he's taken tight heads on almost every opposition and plays hard tough rugby. I think that the competition will be for the bench spot. Dombkins has the size on Bremner but Bremner is fast and hard. I really think it will come down to their ability to throw and their defence which will split them.

Bend Bind and Drive!!

Bob McCowan (2)
I think what C&P is trying to say is MSZ just don't have what others have. There made up of the teams who were 6/8 and 8/8 finishing sides at Mudgee. All evidence so far shows that other teams are probably going to beat them and it's hard to make teams when your not winning games but you never know they might find a way to pull off a win or two but going on Mudgee it won't happen.

Were all human mate and everyone has got a chance. MSZ don't need people like you and catch and pass to count them out of this before the first kick off. Thats all I'm saying. Look what the Highlanders just done for example.

William

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah musika is a natural 8. The Knox 16a player Trrobec pulled out apparently due to school policy . Agree brown didnt perform in Mudgee

Thats a little tough for players where private schools enter the equation and dont allow the boys to prorgress in the external pathway. Is that a direction from Knox in general? Gee wizz - how is it that there are other boys from Knox playing?

Tractor

Bob McCowan (2)
Bend Bind and Drive : I agree with your assessment of Nathan Zylstra, he's a terrific player, all class technically with a bit of mongrel.... The other two Scots lads that played with Souths at Mudgee were also VERY good. Halfback Sebastian Strang is as tough as nails with a brilliant read of the game and a great pass - will be every bit as good as his brother Theo when he's filled out a bit. And Charlie Savala is a very classy inside back who brings a level head and great strategic sense to the game. All three are in the MSZ squad, and will do very well this weekend.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Bend Bind and Drive : I agree with your assessment of Nathan Zylstra, he's a terrific player, all class technically with a bit of mongrel.. The other two Scots lads that played with Souths at Mudgee were also VERY good. Halfback Sebastian Strang is as tough as nails with a brilliant read of the game and a great pass - will be every bit as good as his brother Theo when he's filled out a bit. And Charlie Savala is a very classy inside back who brings a level head and great strategic sense to the game. All three are in the MSZ squad, and will do very well this weekend.

All three are quality boys as well. Glad to see NSW PSSA representatives, which all three boys were, doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upthestaggies

Frank Row (1)
Hey guys, this is just a little side I put together that I would put forward to represent Sydney against country in the upcoming match. Feel free to let me know what you think of this team and if you have any opinions please just comment.

1. Netane Talanoa (Parramatta)
2. Kyle Devine ( Souths)
3.Angus Bell (Norths)
4. Musika Lotoaniu (Parramatta)
5. Liam Janson (Norths)
6. Luke Reimer (Gordon)
7. Josh Gunstone (Gordon)
8. Keith Titmuss (Norths)
9. Dave Tejcek (Gordon)
10. Saul Lewis (Norths)
11. Euan Mawson (Warringah)
12. Dom Easy (Gordon)
13. Nathanael Endemann (Norths)
14. Tom Cameron (Gordon)
15. Connor Thompson (Parramatta)
16. Maclean Dombkins (Norths)
17. Wil McLennan (Norths)
18. Max Douglas (Manly)
19. Nathaniel Panozzo (Gordon)
20. Patrick McCormack (Norths)
21. Matt Minogue (Eastwood)
22. Matt Dutallis (Norths)
23. Ethan Mokia (Parramatta)

Comments erased - too many negative comments on very young players.

Emphasise the positives. Omit the negatives at this age please.

Thank you.

Mods.

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
^^^^ This is an excellent summary and have to agree i like what you have picked - truly based on form

I like the second row pairing particularly

Number 7 had a terrific tournament in Mudgee

I thought Tejcek is a quality player but not sure whether he stood out in Mudgee - lets see this weekends games

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)
Thats a little tough for players where private schools enter the equation and dont allow the boys to prorgress in the external pathway. Is that a direction from Knox in general? Gee wizz - how is it that there are other boys from Knox playing?

Trobec is a year 10 boy playing in 16As - wheras the other boys playing in the u15s.

Knox definately dont like sharing their players to external pathways

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
^^^^ This is an excellent summary and have to agree i like what you have picked - truly based on form

I like the second row pairing particularly

Number 7 had a terrific tournament in Mudgee

I thought Tejcek is a quality player but not sure whether he stood out in Mudgee - lets see this weekends games

Totally agree with that although I think Tejcek played well when he needed to step up especially the metro and state final, you could hear him in the stand and made a lot of tackles on big Bell and Titmuss but I do think Strang and McCormack have a fair shot at the spot

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Upthestaggies, a very talented team youve selected and some perceptive commentary from a bloke of your vintage. I think your team breaks down to 13 MNZ, 5 BaaBaas, 4 MWZ and 1 MSZ. Based on Mudgee form and 3 of the 4 top team being MNZ, that seems about right, but I wonder if the politics of selection may get in the way to dictate that 13 is too heavy an MNZ representation. I hope not.

Upthestaggies

Frank Row (1)
Upthestaggies, a very talented team youve selected and some perceptive commentary from a bloke of your vintage. I think your team breaks down to 13 MNZ, 5 BaaBaas, 4 MWZ and 1 MSZ. Based on Mudgee form and 3 of the 4 top team being MNZ, that seems about right, but I wonder if the politics of selection may get in the way to dictate that 13 is too heavy an MNZ representation. I hope not.

CatchnPass,
That is a fair point although I really don't think that the 13 MNZ players in that projected side would be picked based on politics as they all are extremely talented players and would deserve a shot at the sydney level. It does seem like there may be some selection politics may be at play and I can see where you are coming from but I think that those MNZ players would deserve selection in the side.

Cheers, upthestaggies

rugbynut2010

Bob McCowan (2)
That's alright to say that MNZ will get 13 players in Sydney side based on what happen at the State Champs which may well happen but for that to happen MNZ will really have to dominate the other 3 Sydney teams at the zone carnival.

Performances at the zone carnival will be weighted higher than those at the state champs as it is another step again.

At junior rep level not all players step up who you thought would at next level when the standard and speed of game go up.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That's alright to say that MNZ will get 13 players in Sydney side based on what happen at the State Champs which may well happen but for that to happen MNZ will really have to dominate the other 3 Sydney teams at the zone carnival.

Performances at the zone carnival will be weighted higher than those at the state champs as it is another step again.

At junior rep level not all players step up who you thought would at next level when the standard and speed of game go up.

Is this your first time through the Zone Fiasco?
Have a look at the corresponding thread 2 or 3 years ago where MNZ did not win a game or only won one game and then provided the vast majority of the Sydney side in U15s.
And if you really want to convince yourself have a look at the respective coaches and the affiliations of the SJRU Committee.
It may be just a coincidence that MNZ always do well at the selection table but I doubt it.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No mention so far about the Phantom Players at either Junior State Champs or in the Zone selections. Hard to believe that have become an extinct species in only two seasons.

This has caused some grief in the past and it is difficult to believe that they don't exist anymore given the entrenched win at all costs attitudes that have prevailed in the past, both from parents, coaches and administrators.

For those new to the scene, a Phantom Player is typically a lad who has "disappeared" from the Junior Village Club scene, usually into School footy but sometimes it's due to their former Junior Village club not having the numbers to run a team in an age group, and the nearby clubs not being able to take the remaining few from that club who still want to play Junior Village Club footy.

Last year, the "Grandfather Clause" was removed from NSW JRU JSC eligibility, and new protocols inserted by SJRU for those wanting to play Zone, Sydney and NSW representative footy. Something like 4 Village Club Games for JSC, 1 more game for Zone and 1 more game for Sydney/NSW selection.

Never underestimate the native cunning of parents, coaches and administrators or the lengths that some are prepared to go to in order to favourably interpret eligibility criteria. Washout rounds, Bye's and Forfeits, are a great way to "qualify" Phantom players.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
HJ there were rumblings about this several pages back.
Several kids turned up in one district side's team.
They've all made it through to zone.
I was assured privately that SJRU had OK'd the particulars kids - they just hadn't told anyone or consulted the parents of those who might be directly affected by permitting ineligible players to play rep rugby.
All part of life's rich tapestry.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Sydney 17's and 18's playing Country 17's and 18's at Boronia Park on Sunday. The 17's kick off at 10.30am with the 18's underway at 11.50am.
Should be some good rugby played by the grass roots rugby players.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
HJ there were rumblings about this several pages back.
Several kids turned up in one district side's team.
They've all made it through to zone.
I was assured privately that SJRU had OK'd the particulars kids - they just hadn't told anyone or consulted the parents of those who might be directly affected by permitting ineligible players to play rep rugby.
All part of life's rich tapestry.
Based on a certain school's predilection for long 'camping' trips I hear. Appalling that kids who put in the hard yards at club level get overlooked in favour of guest appearances by a few would be rock stars.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Is this your first time through the Zone Fiasco?
Have a look at the corresponding thread 2 or 3 years ago where MNZ did not win a game or only won one game and then provided the vast majority of the Sydney side in U15s.
And if you really want to convince yourself have a look at the respective coaches and the affiliations of the SJRU Committee.
It may be just a coincidence that MNZ always do well at the selection table but I doubt it.

Very few co-incidences occur in junior rugby.;)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Based on a certain school's predilection for long 'camping' trips I hear. Appalling that kids who put in the hard yards at club level get overlooked in favour of guest appearances by a few would be rock stars.

Absolutely.
But the worst of it is that this directly turns non-hardened-rugby people off the game: this particular district has a very strong history in league and the parents are all league followers. Club union is the only union they get: its not offered in their schools.
They see it as a bit rich that kids who play school rugby and have very good access to the best rep pathways in 16s and opens (and who also come from the school system which historically is strongest) are given exemptions which appear impenetrable.
They appear impenetrable because the fact of exemption only emerges half way through the state champs - all the parents just assume they are the only one who has never seen these kids before - and they start talking to one another (or sending me texts asking if I know the background of X).
Very quickly they get to the point of "typical of these leather elbowed rugger buggers that they favour kids who are not even playing club rugby in the club rugby state champs".
And I can assure that is the reaction because that is what was said to me: I have no skin in this game any more but it is just another way in which rugby in this city fails to recognise the importance of offering the game and plausible rep opportunities to people beyond the GPS, CAS, ISA and even CCC schools.
There's a whole world out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.