• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
So summarised you thought
Douglas over Brown
Dombkins over Mafi
McCormack over Tejcek

I can see what your saying about Douglas but due to injury he good hardly run on the field so apart from his line outs and a few good tackles he couldn't play his best game. Brown was phenomenal in the catching off kick offs, didn't see him drop 1 all weekend, reminds me off a young Ryan McCauley. His work rate was good around the park, seemed to do a bit of everything. Finally together with Panozzo they were able to aid the MNZ scrum to a few big push overs against MWZ.

I agree in regard to Mafi, he has size and knows the game well, did he out class his opponents? Not completely sure. But he has a different style of play to Dombkins and Bremner and it might have been the way the selectors wanted to play their game in which he was the one to pick.

I don't think the Ba Ba's 9 was a real goer. He got the most time out of all the 9's in the tournament and used half of it arguing and getting in trouble with the ref. No doubt when his box kick is on, it's on and works really well but he kicked a few out on the full on the weekend. His pass was good but Tejcek has more length on his. I just think that the two things that McCormack needs to add to his game are running the ball, engaging defenders and then creating over laps also his defence. Should definitely be the shadow 9.

Roastie

Bob McCowan (2)
Does anyone know if the 16's team is named this year? How did the teams in this age group go?

I think the team is named on Wednesday. Most of the results from the weekend below. Strongest teams were MWZ, Country Gold and MSZ.

Day 1
Baa Baa 7 v Country Black 26
MNZ 7 v Country Gold 14
MNZ 12 v Baa Baa 19
MWZ 12 v Country Gold 0
MSZ 17 v Country Black 5
Baa Baa 0 v Country Gold 34
MWZ 7 v Country Black 0
MNZ 8 v MSZ 10

Day 2
MSZ 12 v MWZ 7
Country Black 5 v Country Gold 17
Country Gold 7 v MSZ 5
MSZ 21 (winners) v Baa Baa ?
MNZ 7 v MWZ? (winners)
MNZ (winners) v Country Black
Baa Baa v MWZ (winners)

Baa Baa 0+4+0+0+0=4
C Black 5+0+1+0+0=6
C Gold 4+0+5+4+4=17
MNZ 1+1+1+1+4=8
MSZ 4+4+4+4+1=17

MWZ 4+4+1+4+5=18

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be careful about over analysing the results of a competition between 14 year old boys. It is awesome for them that they have been selected to represent Sydney, however if they are to continue to do so as the cohort matures, there is a lot of effort, blood, sweat and tears needed.

Plenty of kids will be playing 1st XV or Colts/Grade footy in positions different to what they are playing now. Puberty can do that, and Smokies often catch up and pass the child protégés. There is no substitute for continued hard work and diligent application on and off the field.

Even those that are invited into the inner sanctums of the Koala Club will be required to continue to apply themselves. If they rest on their laurels, they may find that their membership of the Koala Club is not renewed, and their place given to another young fellow, previously overlooked.

Contrary to popular belief, membership of the Koala Club does not guarantee selection into Pathway representative teams. The high correlation between selection and Koala Club membership is due to the hard yards being put in by those on the inside and their performance on the paddock and not just because of their relationship with Scouts and Koala Club staff. Plenty in the Koala Club have not made State or National Schoolboys or age group representative teams.

Parents, please let the kids enjoy their footy. Feed them, encourage them, cuddle them, talk to them, be proud of them, drive them everywhere, but don't suffocate them with your expectations.

Congratulations to the kids selected. Listen to your coaches, train hard, stay injury free and enjoy your footy because there is a talented kid who just missed out on selection that will be training equally hard and will be ready to take your spot in the blink of an eye.

To those who missed out, listen to your club and school coaches, train hard, stay injury free and enjoy your footy. There is always next year, or the year after that. Selection is only one blokes opinion, and they change. Cream will rise to the surface.

For the benefit of new readers, one of my favourite stories comes from @Brainstrust from another thread, but is worth repeating ad infinitum:
If you have heard Eric Rush, the former All Black, speak he tells a great story about when he was growing up. He always trialled but never got picked. His father would always say "Don't worry because its just one blokes opinion, maybe the next guy will think differently". When he excitedly phoned his father to tell him he had been selected for the All Blacks, his father congratulated him, but reminded him "it's just one blokes opinion. Don't get a big head, because the next bloke may not like you."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably a fair point, and there would be any number of Gaggerlanders who would similarly assert that their School could do likewise. Remember this is supposed to be the Sydney Junior Rugby Union representative team, and there is eligibility criteria required to be met for selection into their representative team involving participation in the SJRU competition.

Most of the St Augs XV would also get a walk up start for AICES representative team as well, if only their school was part of that Association.

The two pathways, School and Village Club, merge into one at Colts level along with an off ramp to NSW Suburban Rugby Colts, and a new nearly completed parallel pathway to Rugby 7's.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Show and go, there were plenty who thought the same thing of the Blacktown team which is undefeated for 2 seasons. Whilst they have got a few in, its no more than some other clubs. The reason? Dominance in one format/forum does not always translate to dominance in another, playing with different team mates, playing tougher opposition and playing tournament rugby. There is both a physical and a mental aspect to playing well in 9 matches over 3 days that it missing from a weekly school match. The boys in the Sydney team have had to prove they possess that at not only the JSCs but the 2 day Regionals as well. Not to say the 8 Augs boys wouldn't be able to, but they haven't.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
I could see Hopoate, Lehman and Cheekam as people who could do that but apart from that I couldn't see others in there at starting positions at least. Unless you can name others???

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any reports or scores from Sydney vs Country in Under 18 and Under 17's yesterday?

Busy time coming up for those boys in the SJRU Rep programme, esp U17 & U18's:
Sydney JRU U17 & U18 vs Bishop Stortford High School 19 July
Sydney JRU U17 vs Wellingborough 1st XV 24 July
Sydney JRU U16, U17 & U18 vs Leeds Grammar on 2 August

Much busier than previous years, and well done to the SJRU for landing the incoming tour games.

Roastie

Bob McCowan (2)
^^^

Sydney U17's 24 def Country U17's 22 - Sydney scored a try after the siren to tie the game, the goal kicker kicked the goal to win, very entering game with the lead swapping numerous times throughout the game.

Sydney U18's 12 def Country U18's 7 - only watched half of this game, very tight as the score line suggests.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
can anyone provide the Sydney 15s team by school ... eg Cameron (Knox), Bell (Newington) ... as if no St Augustines kids were picked, guess that is surprising ... although maybe they are leaguies?

reckon you could cobble together a pretty good alternate Sydney team with Joeys, Waverley, St Augs, Scots kids ... although full credit to those picked

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@SonnyDillWilliams, Cobble together whatever you want but it would be as pointless as saying that the CCC team would be better if they had 6 kids from the CAS squad in it. They are not eligible, so it can never happen.

For whatever reason, the "alternate Sydney team" from Joeys, Waverley, St Augs, Scots have chosen to follow the Schools Rugby pathway rather than try to remain on both pathways as some kids do at U15's, and less do at U16's and almost none do at U17's from the AAGPS, ISA and CAS Private Schools.

Meanwhile kids at St Cuthersons of the Fallen Shadow, Sydney Tech, Rooty Hill Grammar, or Concord Boys High and similar only have the SJRU Village Club pathway open to them.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
SDW, I would add that there were plenty of GPS boys including from Joeys and Scots competing at Regionals, and one Joeys boy selected in the Sydney side. I suspect you are right that Augs are mostly leaguies these days, though many played Heaven's Game until u13s or so, and I understand that Wave boys are also more focused on league outside of school hours?

Sink Squeeze Snap!

Frank Row (1)
J.Walsh was the only st. Augs boy picked for Sydney however the other st. Augs boy M. Douglas played for baabas and was surprisingly not picked for Sydney after a standout preformance over the weekend partularly in the lineout, seemingly outplaying his opposing second rowers.

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Forwards:
Will McLennan Riverview
Kyle Devine St.Patricks Strathfield
Angus Bell Newington
Sam Lock Kings
Tangi Mafi St.Patricks Blacktown
Liam Heka Chifley College
Nathaniel Pannozo Marist College
Jordan Brown Kings
Liam Jansen Newington
Luke Reimer Killara High School
Spencer Leniu St.Patricks Blacktown
Daniel Darwall William Clark College
Keith Titmuss Westfield Sports High School
Musika Loto'anui Parramatta Marist

Backs:
David Tejcek Barker College
Matt Dutallis Riverview
Dominic Easy St. Pius
Nathanael Endemann Newington
Tom Cameron Knox
Vincent Creagh St.Joeys
Matt Minouge Kings
Jack Walsh St.Augustines
Euan Mawson ?

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
reckon you could cobble together a pretty good alternate Sydney team with Joeys, Waverley, St Augs, Scots kids . although full credit to those picked

Some of the waves boys played for Randwick and didn't make it through and Moretti and Murphy wouldn't compete with the Sydney forwards. Towns might be up to par in the backs. Might be. Scolari from Joeys would be up with the Sydney forward and the post from #269 are the only other kids that I believe could match the players from Sydney.

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
Forwards:
Will McLennan Riverview
Kyle Devine St.Patricks Strathfield
Angus Bell Newington
Sam Lock Kings
Tangi Mafi St.Patricks Blacktown
Liam Heka Chifley College
Nathaniel Pannozo Marist College
Jordan Brown Kings
Liam Jansen Newington
Luke Reimer Killara High School
Spencer Leniu St.Patricks Blacktown
Daniel Darwall William Clark College
Keith Titmuss Westfield Sports High School
Musika Loto'anui Parramatta Marist

Backs:
David Tejcek Barker College
Matt Dutallis Riverview
Dominic Easy St. Pius
Nathanael Endemann Newington
Tom Cameron Knox
Vincent Creagh St.Joeys
Matt Minouge Kings
Jack Walsh St.Augustines
Euan Mawson ?

Out of curiosity'whats the break up of school associations. Congrats to all that were picked enjoy the experience

konbar

Peter Burge (5)
Well that would be
GPS:9
ISA:3
CCC:4
CHS: 3 (pretty sure Mawson is at a public school)
CAS:2
AICES:1
Don't know where I'm missing

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
Well that would be
GPS:9
ISA:3
CCC:4
CHS: 3 (pretty sure Mawson is at a public school)
CAS:2
AICES:1
Don't know where I'm missing

Interesting not to unlike the older age groups over the years in terms of ratios. Especially opens or under 18s. Interesting those that question the strength of the GPS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.