• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Well, Burraneer played on the weekend for a rare and no doubt much appreciated victory. Guess who was not a part of it? Yes, the 3 Scots/Souths players who now cannot possibly honour their 4 game minimum commitment. 1 of them has played zero and the other 2 have played one game each. I trust that SJRU will now take the appropriate action as per Garry Owen III's post #301? Names are at #184.

Don't hold your breath.;)

I note that TSC 15As beat Joeys 15As on Saturday, wonder if the 3 amigos played in that?

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
Don't hold your breath.;)

I note that TSC 15As beat Joeys 15As on Saturday, wonder if the 3 amigos played in that?

The 3 amigos will now have to go thru the GPS pathway, if they were not good enough for the Sydney team , what hope they got of the GPS pathway .Riverview are extremely strong in this age along with kings and newington also have some talented players, but I still say wait till you see the auggies boys next year , then you will see talent aplenty, very very strong age group though and will be interesting what boys progress and what boys are left behind when these boys bulk up and gain some extra speed .

Good to see burraneer field a team and win.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Is the JGC going to continue with the policy of allowing players from other codes to come in and play then go back to their chosen sport? Bloody disgraceful.

Then there's the $660 for the privilege of being selected. The original concept was brought about to
1. Have a pathway similar to leagues Harold Mats and SG Ball which is FREE
2. To increase player numbers in clubs as selected players were meant to register and play with their nearest club.

Pardon the pun BUT Junior Gold administration.. You've dropped the ball

Should be interesting how the drop in revenue is accounted for through less Under 17 JGC teams in NSW

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
TSC may have beaten Joeys in the 15a s but they also went uncontested in the scrum due to the dominance of the Joeys scrum. Very ordinary at this level that they couldn't muscle up. Credit to the joeys front row who made their point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
TSC may have beaten Joeys in the 15a s but they also went uncontested in the scrum due to the dominance of the Joeys scrum. Very ordinary at this level that they couldn't muscle up. Credit to the joeys front row who made their point.

May be the wrong thread for this discussion, but I heard the same thing. Extraordinary that no B players were available to step in, though as I understand there was no injury, just an area where Scots were weaker. Unlike in Club rugby where the team going uncontested has to drop a man and play with 14, and can only go uncontested twice in a season before being ineligible for finals, there is no sanction in GPS (and perhaps other associations) for doing this. 'Why bother putting in the hard yards teaching the boys to scrummage when we can just go uncontested and throw it to Charlie?' Who is making these win at all costs decisions at Scots? Is it just the 15As coach or does the mindset get pushed down from above?

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
The 3 amigos will now have to go thru the GPS pathway, if they were not good enough for the Sydney team , what hope they got of the GPS pathway .Riverview are extremely strong in this age along with kings and newington also have some talented players, but I still say wait till you see the auggies boys next year , then you will see talent aplenty, very very strong age group though and will be interesting what boys progress and what boys are left behind when these boys bulk up and gain some extra speed .

Good to see burraneer field a team and win.

There's an interesting comparison between GPS and Club teams being played out at the moment, with Kings 15As playing in the Club A comp as Beecroft. They have been well drilled and pretty competitive, but have only had a solitary 1 point victory over other top 5 teams and lost the other three matches by between 12 and 24 points. Given that 15s is the last year a lot of school boys play Club, it is a great indicator of the relative strength of each side and ultimately brings into question your conclusion show and go, at least at 15s level, that GPS is a higher bar than Sydney. No question that will change in u16s. But there are a number of boys who were not good enough for Sydney (9 GPS boys selected I think) who will by numerical necessity make GPS u16s

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Will be a very interesting weekend in the SJRU 15a comp. 5 teams playing for 4 spots 4 teams on same points and a double header on Sunday between Blacktown and Lindfield.

Forward pack is virtually Gordon v Parramatta who had a ding dong battle in mudgee. Will be worth a trip to Grantham.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Also Hunters Hill play Lane Cove winner progresses to finals. Between those 2 games, majority of Sydney team and NSW u15s on show (and those that missed out!)

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)
May be the wrong thread for this discussion, but I heard the same thing. Extraordinary that no B players were available to step in, though as I understand there was no injury, just an area where Scots were weaker. Unlike in Club rugby where the team going uncontested has to drop a man and play with 14, and can only go uncontested twice in a season before being ineligible for finals, there is no sanction in GPS (and perhaps other associations) for doing this. 'Why bother putting in the hard yards teaching the boys to scrummage when we can just go uncontested and throw it to Charlie?' Who is making these win at all costs decisions at Scots? Is it just the 15As coach or does the mindset get pushed down from above?

I suggest you get your facts right before making ridiculous embarrassing personal comments . Safety is paramount to all school rugby players and after 10 mins of the joeys v scots u15 the scots hooker suffered a very nasty head clash and had to go off ,which required numerous stitches and is out for a couple of weeks.

As for the previous weeks game newingtpn v scots u15 this was also uncontested scrums due to newington having late injuries to there front row before kick off and again due to safety issues newington requested uncontested scrums which as a school you have a duty of care to do so.

Catch and pass does that mean your above comments are also directed at newington as well or just directed at scots.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Like i said, my info was no injury, but happy to concede that may have been incorrect. Still not sure why a reputedly strong Scots U15s could not field a sub. You refer to injuries plural with New front row. That leading to an uncontested situation I can understand. A strong rugby school turning up to a key GPS 15As match AT HOME without a single reserve front rower (a prop could easily have played hooker) I cannot.

Show and go

Sydney Middleton (9)

Just to confirm and clarify the scots hooker was injured 10 mins into game.
I suggest when making statements that are incorrect you get your facts right first ,it's irrelevant wether scots or newington should of had subs your point was scots scrum was weak and who is making the win at all costs decisions based on wrong info.
Change your messenger or better still don't listen to any Tom, DIck or Harry before you make statements that are not correct. You should know better than that based on your so called knowledge of u15s rugby.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Correct. The boys who are giving their all week in and out in 15As and playing some pretty good quality footy don't share the view that it's 'just u15s so who cares'.

And I don't necessarily, either. But I would say the tone is unbecoming, all things considered. As if anything will be solved for the boys by anonymous bickering on the internet.

But to each his own.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Chris, if tone is unbecoming that was not my intention. I hope that the scots boy is ok and recovers well. My point, perhaps not well expressed, is that the rules appear open to ready gaming by anyone seeking to do so, which is rarely a positive outcome.

And if anonymous bickering on the Internet is pointless, then much of this site should probably shut down :)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And I don't necessarily, either. But I would say the tone is unbecoming, all things considered. As if anything will be solved for the boys by anonymous bickering on the internet.

But to each his own.

This is tame compared to the level of discussion on some of the Schoolboy U16 and U15 threads in the "olden days".

Genuine good posters hang around having caught the G&GR bug when their lads are in U15/U16's.
The vainglorious often disappear in a cloud of dust and indignation when their son, nephew or brother misses out on selection into whatever rep team they were targeting.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
So 46 boys from 120 A's players - where does the numerical necessity come in?
Many of the better players in the GPS 15A comp play club rugby. Some of those who did not make Syd selection will probably join (most of) the 9 GPS boys who did in making up the 46. You are right - perhaps none of the GPS boys who just missed Syd selection will make it and the other 35 odd will come from the GPS boys who don't play Club. But I suspect at least some will. So missing Syd selection does not translate to not being good enough for GPS 16s, which I understand was the original contention.

Status
Not open for further replies.