• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langers

Bob McCowan (2)
JGC Program in this part of NSW has reduced the number of players playing representative rugby in my opinion.

This is due to Mid North Coast and Far North Coast zones being combined to form the North Coast zone for JGC. The selection process effectively culls 20-30 players who would normally play representative rugby for either MNC or FNC at the Country Championships. Then, it's only the usual faces turning up to trial for selection.

You then have the distance issues to manage for training and playing. It takes on average 6 hours to travel from one end of the zone to the other, so a training session for the whole squad means a minimum 2-3 hour drive each way for parents and potentially the coaches and other staff.

Issues arise around where mid week training is held. If the majority of coaches live at one end of the zone, then the players at that end attend regularly and get a bigger benefit than other players where the distance is too great to attend at the frequency (2-3 nights a week). Meaning the full benefits of being in the program are never fully realised.

This coupled with the cost to participate (approx $650 without travel and accommodation, etc) leaves some questioning the value of the program and excludes others all together.

There are some terrific people from each zone who work extremely hard to make the program as successful as it can be, but the issues I've touched on above will always be the major stumbling blocks.

It then becomes a bit like the recent NSW State Championships, where a group of very good players come up against WA, Victoria, ACT and the Sydney or Brisbane sides and aren't quite competitive enough.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sydney U14's Train-on Squad
Jack Dawson - Souths
Blake Hersee - Warringah
Dylan Saunders - Penrith
Asi ' inaua Fekitoa - Gordon
Samual Birkin - Gordon
Charle Hokianga - Souths
Nathan Davis - Souths
Sean Kennedy - Gordon
Bradley Michael - Easts
Riley Wiffen - Penrith
Ben Minness - Warringah
Cassius Clinton -Norths
Hayden Molla - Souths
Conor Molloy - Souths
Zane Chesterfield - Souths
TBA
Josh Tuiono - Easts
Atatu Phillips - Penrith
Jaymession Ieremia - Penrith
Tom Gratwicke - Gordon
Billy Pollard - Gordon
James Valavatu - Penrith
Lachlan Albert - Gordon
Josh Hickey - Norths
Nicholas Chan - Gordon
Mack Fell - Easts
Eliah Veikoso - Souths
Sam Rechner - Gordon
Aaron Schoupp - Souths
Tom Latu - Manly
Kobe Rugless - Easts
Cruise Talatini - Norths
Issam Merhi - Norths
Kyle Galloway - Gordon
Jackson Wunderlich - Gordon
Atinae Afamiliona - Penrith
Tolipea Paleti - Easts
Ben Pollack - Gordon
Kaeo Weekes - Gordon
Dan Ala - Manly

Can't help but notice that a boy who played 15s JGC and was by all reports one of the best players in that team isn't in Sydney 14s squad. And he's not from Manly either.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)

What I'm interested in is how zones and clubs feel about the retention of players in the game. Are the Metro zones seeing a decline in numbers as I suspect all Country zones are? What systems are/should be in place to help retain players across the zones? Does the pathway to play in a range of representative teams make retention easier in say Sydney?
Though Gordon won the JSC 15s, there were only 29 lads that trialled, so only 4 didnt make the squad of 25. I understand that Norths (runners up) also struggled to get a squad together. Retention is a real problem right across club rugby. Interestingly, some that didnt trial had played JGC. Were they a bit over it having played 12+ months rugby without a decent break? Possibly.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Yes, curious QH. Im not sure whether he played on JSCs but very surprsing if he did and deemed not good enough

He played and captained his district team.

EDIT: You know that someone is stiff when even people from other districts think it's strange.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Has the Junior Cold Cup helped with player recruiting/retention and skills development in the Country zones?

Is there a good working relationship between the country Junior Gold Cup centres, Country Junior Village Clubs and Zones, and the NSW Country JRU? With limited player and volunteer availability, I would hope that the relationship is positive and not feudal.

For us, the JGC has had positives and negatives - at least in the 17s group I am involved with. Having the core of the team together over the off-season and playing what is essentially a higher level has helped. We don't seem to have lost players because of JGC.

However, the boys have played a lot of Rugby. In the club, we are rotating rests for our U15 and 17 JGC players. I think they are really feeling it - not having had an effective off-season. The same thing happened last year with our club boys who made JGC.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
I would agree with that to a point, there are also a very large number of coaches/parents/ players who just don't understand the laws of the game. The first and most obvious is maul, really it's not that hard. If I heard "his got to release" or "his got to roll" 50 times I heard it a 1000, simple answer at a maul, no he doesn't.

When the ball carrier is held but not brought to the ground a maul may form. You need to know when a maul has formed because it affects what you are permitted to do.
For a maul to form...
There must be a least three players. The three players must include
  • The ball carrier
  • An opponent, holding the ball carrier
  • A team mate of the ball carrier, bound to the ball carrier
also
  • Players must be on their feet and attempt to stay on their feet
  • The players must be in the field of play
  • The group of players must be moving towards a goal-line

Corky

Frank Row (1)
predicting the sydney side to look something like this in the 15's, this is just a side which I thought was fair although I haven't seen Davis the sydney number 6 from 2014 play since last state champs but somehow he is in the MSZ side? He might push for a spot. Also I'm not sure how many halfs they pick, it seems in the past they have only picked 1??

1. McLennan (Norths)
2. Devine (Southern Districts)
3. Bell (Norths)
4. Pannozo (Gordon)
5. Loto'Aniu (Parramatta)
6. Reimer (Gordon)
7. Gunstone (Gordon)
8. Titmuss (Norths)
9. Tejcek (Gordon)
10. Minogue (Eastwood)
11. Endemann (Norths)
12. Mokia (Parramatta)
13. Easy (Gordan)
14. Cameron (Gordon)
15. Thomson (Parramatta)
16. Bremner (Gordon)
17. Talanoa (Parramatta)
18. Icanovski (Southern Districts)
19. Jansen (Norths)
20. Douglas (Manly)
21. Mawson (Warringah
22. O' Hearn (Gordon)
23. Dutallis (Norths)

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
When the ball carrier is held but not brought to the ground a maul may form. You need to know when a maul has formed because it affects what you are permitted to do.
For a maul to form.
There must be a least three players. The three players must include
  • The ball carrier
  • An opponent, holding the ball carrier
  • A team mate of the ball carrier, bound to the ball carrier
also

• Players must be on their feet and attempt to stay on their feet
  • The players must be in the field of play
  • The group of players must be moving towards a goal-line
I was referring to a collapsed maul not through foul play, the players bound in the maul do not have to roll away or release the ball. It is the responsibility of the ball carrier to make the ball available immediately or a scrum is ordered to the team who didn't take the ball in to the maul.

The Horse Whisper

Bob McCowan (2)
predicting the sydney side to look something like this in the 15's, this is just a side which I thought was fair although I haven't seen Davis the sydney number 6 from 2014 play since last state champs but somehow he is in the MSZ side? He might push for a spot. Also I'm not sure how many halfs they pick, it seems in the past they have only picked 1??

1. McLennan (Norths)
3. Bell (Norths)
4. Pannozo (Gordon)
6. Reimer (Gordon)
7. Gunstone (Gordon)
8. Titmuss (Norths)
9. Tejcek (Gordon)
10. Minogue (Eastwood)
11. Endemann (Norths)
12. Mokia (Parramatta)
13. Easy (Gordan)
14. Cameron (Gordon)
15. Thomson (Parramatta)
16. Bremner (Gordon)
17. Talanoa (Parramatta)
19. Jansen (Norths)
20. Douglas (Manly)
21. Mawson (Warringah
22. O' Hearn (Gordon)
23. Dutallis (Norths)

This is a strange team you have nominated as some of these players didn't perform at Mudgee!!!

The Horse Whisper

Bob McCowan (2)
What's your team look like THW?

Going on last years Sydney under 14's and how they preformed at Mudgee I would go something like this.

1) James Frear
2) Will Bremner
3) Angus Bell
4) Nathanial Panozzo
5) Liam Jansen
6) Luke Reimer
7) Spencer Leniu
8) Musika Luto
9) David Tejjcek
10) Saul Lewis
11) Jamie Basheer
12) Dominic Easy
13) Nathanael Endermann
14) Tom Cameron
15) Tom Glasscott
16) Sam Lock
17) Juliam Heavon
18) will McLennan
19) Keith Titmuss
20) Patrick McCormack
21) Ethan Mokola
22) Vincent Creagh
23) Saxon Gillies

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
I
Going on last years Sydney under 14's and how they preformed at Mudgee I would go something like this.

1) James Frear
2) Will Bremner
3) Angus Bell
4) Nathanial Panozzo
5) Liam Jansen
6) Luke Reimer
7) Spencer Leniu
8) Musika Luto
9) David Tejjcek
10) Saul Lewis
11) Jamie Basheer
12) Dominic Easy
13) Nathanael Endermann
14) Tom Cameron
15) Tom Glasscott
16) Sam Lock
17) Juliam Heavon
18) will McLennan
19) Keith Titmuss
20) Patrick McCormack
21) Ethan Mokola
22) Vincent Creagh
23) Saxon Gillies
Hopefully it will all depend on form at the Regionals. If they all play as well as at JSCs I suspect the reality will be somewhere between the teams suggested by you and Corky, with maybe one or two from left field. 9 players from Gordon in your starting side may prove a bit optimistic.

RoyRanley

Bob McCowan (2)

1. McLennan (Norths)
3. Bell (Norths)
4. Pannozo (Gordon)
6. Reimer (Gordon)
7. Gunstone (Gordon)
8. Titmuss (Norths)
9. Tejcek (Gordon)
10. Minogue (Eastwood)
11. Endemann (Norths)
12. Mokia (Parramatta)
13. Easy (Gordan)
14. Cameron (Gordon)
15. Thomson (Parramatta)
16. Bremner (Gordon)
17. Talanoa (Parramatta)
19. Jansen (Norths)
20. Douglas (Manly)
21. Mawson (Warringah
22. O' Hearn (Gordon)
23. Dutallis (Norths)

Lewis is a much better 10

James999

Frank Nicholson (4)

This is always going to be subjective - however some of these boys definately didn't perform in Mudgee . McLennan and Bell definarely ahead off Frear who had quiet games

Muslika is a good choice agead of Titmuss for 8.

1) James Frear
2) Will Bremner
3) Angus Bell
4) Nathanial Panozzo
5) Liam Jansen
6) Luke Reimer
7) Spencer Leniu
8) Musika Luto
9) David Tejjcek
10) Saul Lewis
11) Jamie Basheer
12) Dominic Easy