• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Wolfey said:
Who's excited for the GPS v Archdale debate tomorrow night? I am as giddy as can be.​
And names as to who is on the Archdale Team(s) ?Surely someone knows?​
Also CHS?​

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hi All,

I heard some badmouthing about my school about GPS topics this year. Decided to get out Excel and correct a few misperceptions: thought I'd share my results here.

'That major sports club decisions should be subjected to a vote of members who are fans' - Affirmative won 33%

'That we should legalise the buying and selling of human organs' - Affirmative won 50%

'That university fees should be deregulated' - Affirmative won 33%

'That all defendants should have to use a publicly funded lawyer' - Affirmative won 67%

'That charities should not use of social media to inform Western audiences about global events' -Affirmative won 2 from 9 (High/Scots rescheduled. Topic/winners for this?) - 22%

'That there should be recall elections for politicians who break nominated promises' - Affirmative won 25%

'That the West should give a defence guarantee to Ukraine and Eastern European states against further annexation/invasion' - Affirmative won 75%

Overall, this means that 36 out of 81 affirmatives won by my count. The only real shocker seems to be that the R7 topic gave such a strong Affirmative weighting - we had figured the opposite would be true. Not sure how these compare to typical results though - 36/81 has Affirmatives winning a bit less than 45%. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to get that figure up to the 50 mark over the course of the season. Has anyone done a similar exercise for other years/comps?

Cheers.
Wes.

Amazing analysis Wes - much appreciated, and pretty interesting too.

Can we have a prediction Wolfey?

I think that Wolfey, like myself, is hesitant to tip a side on account of the fact that both are ridiculously good. Can't wait.

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
I presume that the Archdale 1sts are as such:

- Kaity Crowe (Abbottsleigh)
- Sophie Large (SCEGGS)
- Imogen Harper (SCEGGS)

(Speaking order unknown)

For the uninitiated, the rep teams for both GPS and Archdale each have two members who've represented NSW, one of whom from each team having represented Australia (Stratton and Large).

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks Wolfey.
This is an assumption? Does that mean no one knows exactly who is confirmed in Archdale?
Do they only have 3 no fourths? And who is in the Seconds and Thirds?

Also CHS teams?
Its only been clear who is on the GPS and CAS teams so far
anyone able to clarify Archdale and CHS?

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
Update - CAS firsts and seconds both lost to CHS and are yet to win a debate this reps season. CHS teams won their debates against CAS, and won one against Archdale.
Also team confirmation for CHS
Firsts - Yanek(fort st), Theodora von Arnim and Marcus McCulloch
Seconds - Riley Irwin, Eleanor Kirk, Brendan Ma. Fourths are unknown.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Update - CAS firsts and seconds both lost to CHS and are yet to win a debate this reps season. CHS teams won their debates against CAS, and won one against Archdale.
Also team confirmation for CHS
Firsts - Yanek(fort st), Theodora von Arnim and Marcus McCulloch
Seconds - Riley Irwin, Eleanor Kirk, Brendan Ma. Fourths are unknown.

Thanks for the update Marcus
Finally know who the CHS teams are. Now all we need are the Archdale teams.

Seconds had the topic that Universities fees should be de regulated. This is the third time this has been debated in the past month or so - in ISDA; in CAS and now again at reps and each time the negative have won as they did last night ( pretty much an unwinnable topic in affirmative when, as current university students, the adjudicators have a vested interest/views). same topic 3 times, Surely other fresh topics might be offered for debate?

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks for the update Marcus
Finally know who the CHS teams are. Now all we need are the Archdale teams.

Seconds had the topic that Universities fees should be de regulated. This is the third time this has been debated in the past month or so - in ISDA; in CAS and now again at reps and each time the negative have won as they did last night ( pretty much an unwinnable topic in affirmative when, as current university students, the adjudicators have a vested interest/views). same topic 3 times, Surely other fresh topics might be offered for debate?

Dont forget it was a GPS one too. Makes sense that it gets selected being very topical. You need to realise most comps involve some combination of CA and Convenors as a topic committee. Ive seen some brutually onesided topics this season that I suspect some convenor decided at some point was a good idea.

Been following the thread for a while but never really bothered or had need to say anything. Anyway, here is a contribution that might be of use.
Archdale squad is apparently , as was originally announced (in alphabetical order):

Anne Wang (SCEGGS)
Charlotte Haunton (Monte)
Eleanor Hall (Loreto Kirribilli)
Georgia Chahoud (Abbotsleigh)
Imogen Harper (SCEGGS)
Kaity Crowe (Abbotsleigh)
Katerina Theocharous (St Catherines)
Katrina Milliner (Monte)
Kendall Shepherd (Abbotsleigh)
Rebekah Oliver (Danebank)
Ricky Ham (Pymble)
Sophie Large (SCEGGS)

Seconds are apparently Anne Wang, Kaity Crowe, Georgia Chahoud and Eleanor Hall. Can't say what the others are as I cant find mention of it anywhere and I didnt watch the previous reps debates.

A.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dont forget it was a GPS one too. Makes sense that it gets selected being very topical. You need to realise most comps involve some combination of CA and Convenors as a topic committee. Ive seen some brutually onesided topics this season that I suspect some convenor decided at some point was a good idea.

Been following the thread for a while but never really bothered or had need to say anything. Anyway, here is a contribution that might be of use.
Archdale squad is apparently , as was originally announced (in alphabetical order):

Anne Wang (SCEGGS)
Charlotte Haunton (Monte)
Eleanor Hall (Loreto Kirribilli)
Georgia Chahoud (Abbotsleigh)
Imogen Harper (SCEGGS)
Kaity Crowe (Abbotsleigh)
Katerina Theocharous (St Catherines)
Katrina Milliner (Monte)
Kendall Shepherd (Abbotsleigh)
Rebekah Oliver (Danebank)
Ricky Ham (Pymble)
Sophie Large (SCEGGS)

Seconds are apparently Anne Wang, Kaity Crowe, Georgia Chahoud and Eleanor Hall. Can't say what the others are as I cant find mention of it anywhere and I didnt watch the previous reps debates.

A.

Thanks for the input A192. Good to finally know all competitors in GPS, CAS, CHS and now Archdale.
Agreed that many of the topics are brutally one sided - more thought needs to go into choosing the topics. Sure they can be topical - there's a wealth of material to choose from - but topics should not be repetitive or one sided. Its simple - if the topics already been done that season in any of the forums - it shouldn't be done again. Those who have done it have an advantage having run through it all before and heard both sides and having had feedback on it previously.

AllYellow

Frank Row (1)
Do we have results from CHS/Arhdale in the first round? Pending results from that the tally is: (3 points for 1sts, 2 for 2nds is how they calculate it)

GPS - 8
CHS - 5 (pending R1 results)
ARCH - 2 (pending R1 results)
CAS - 0

GPS in the box seat coming into tonight's debates but pending R1 results CHS could steal the cup for the first time in recent memory

Meanwhile a serious risk that CAS could go throughout the season without winning any points...?? has this happened before?

AllYellow

Frank Row (1)
Its simple - if the topics already been done that season in any of the forums - it shouldn't be done again. Those who have done it have an advantage having run through it all before and heard both sides and having had feedback on it previously.

Especially when results in those earlier competitions strongly indicate that the topic makes the debate into a coin toss - whoever gets to argue against fee dereg is in a good place no matter their debating skill

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do we have results from CHS/Arhdale in the first round? Pending results from that the tally is: (3 points for 1sts, 2 for 2nds is how they calculate it)

GPS - 8
CHS - 5 (pending R1 results)
ARCH - 2 (pending R1 results)
CAS - 0

GPS in the box seat coming into tonight's debates but pending R1 results CHS could steal the cup for the first time in recent memory

CHS have won the competition many years - see the Hall of Fame of the Arts unit website- in fact they have won it more than any others but last recorded win was in 2010

Meanwhile a serious risk that CAS could go throughout the season without winning any points.?? has this happened before?

Would be interesting to know. As with all these debates and as noted above a lot depends on luck - the toss of a coin- all the teams are of high calibre and it shouldn't be seen as a reflection of being less so.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)

CHS have won the competition many years - see the Hall of Fame of the Arts unit website- in fact they have won it more than any others but last recorded win was in 2010

Wolfey

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks for the year everyone. That caps off another season of fine debating. Since there's been some speculation as to who I am, allow me to verify that I'm not Chris Bisset, but I am someone you all know very, very well. Just remember that often people are not who they claim to be (or, more aptly, that people often are who they claim not to be). I look forward to continuing my active presence on this forum next year.

Sincerely,
Wolfey

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
Topics from tonight were:
1) That the government should pay a wage to stay at home mums
2) That mainstream and social media should not publish videos and images from terrorist organisations
3) That the state should vet all advertisements intended for public spaces yo ensure they do not perpetuate racist or sexist stereotypes

Archdale 1sts beat CAS on topic 3 from Aff. Archdale 3rds lost to CAS on topic 2 on aff. Not sure about Archdale/CAS 2nds. They started early but were still going when I went by the classroom on the way to watch the later debates. CHS won one, lost one in their clash, but forgot to ask which was which.

I didnt have time to stick around so I missed the announcements awards part.

As for topics, not sure how fee dereg made it in. People on committee arent supposed to set topics from their own comps and so presumably by extension one would think that the other people would not include topics that have been used in other comps and give that advantage. I suspect part of it is that people on topics committee may not all be up to date on what topics were used previously in comps outside their involvement. I think clearly some kind of communal resource is needed to keep track of topics used in comps during the year for all the different comps. Having a hard list easily accessible might make it less likely that topics get set so often. Perhaps something to look into for next year. Even if the comps dont do it, Id imagine it would be easy enough to crowdsource topics as they get released for the major comps (ISDA,GPS,CAS,Archdale). Obviously less easy for comps like PDC where it is a massive list of topics that get drawn from and happens over a long period of time. Also problematic for HICES, SDN, Eastside, CSDA and FED which are much smaller comps. Nonetheless an idea.

Also, a few people were discussing the idea of a CHS 3rds team in the future down at supper. Anyone think that it is likely to happen next year?
A.

Status
Not open for further replies.