• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallchoice

Frank Row (1)
What were the results of last nights debates?

Archdale 1sts beat CAS in an apparently very close debate. Did anyone see this? I would love to know how the teams went, good speakers, etc.
GPS def. CHS clearly.
Stratton, Rees were their usual commendable selves.

GPS were victors for the representative competition overall, a very strong team captained by a very strong speaker.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Archdale 1sts defeated CAS 1sts
Archdale 2nds defeated CAS 2nds (split decision)
CAS Thirds defeated Archdale 3rds (majority decision)
Strong, good analysis,principles as well as practical issues from CAS second speaker (Cranbrook);

Any other results? comments on other teams?

iphone9

Frank Row (1)
Is it too early to start on predictions for next year? Do Grammar and Newington look to continue their dominance in the GPS competition, or are their year 11 debaters too weak, meaning they might make way for another school?

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Between Loughley and Wolfe I'd say Grammar are set for another GPS title next year - although ISDA could be a more open competition.

WelshWes

Frank Row (1)
Can we get a year-on-year breakdown for each of the rep squads? It'd be interesting ahead of next years' comps and I'm sure we have the info between us.

Thanks in advance,
Wes.

Marcus

Bob McCowan (2)
Hmm, not strictly schools debating, but I think that broadening the scope of this forum wouldn't hurt.

Full list of speakers can be accessed here which provides a video of the announcements. http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/53323683

The win by OG was in a 5-2 split, and as I understand it, a bit of a suprise win for USU2. Did anyone watch the debate?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hmm, not strictly schools debating, but I think that broadening the scope of this forum wouldn't hurt.

Full list of speakers can be accessed here which provides a video of the announcements. http://m.ustream.tv/recorded/53323683

The win by OG was in a 5-2 split, and as I understand it, a bit of a suprise win for USU2. Did anyone watch the debate?

Yea I did - I thought USU 1 had it, interesting motion - "this house believes that governments should be able to compulsarily acquire culturally significant artwork for public display, without compensation".

uwotm8

Frank Row (1)
Yea I did - I thought USU 1 had it, interesting motion - "this house believes that governments should be able to compulsarily acquire culturally significant artwork for public display, without compensation".

It was not a surprise win - it went very clearly to OG. The two who split were punters

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was not a surprise win - it went very clearly to OG. The two who split were punters

Good to see some activity - it seems that the HSC has distracted most forum posters.

To be completely honest, I can't remember the debate too well, I just recall USU 1 being pretty strong and I felt that they might have been a little hard done by but can't support that with any evidence this far removed from the debate.

AllYellow

Frank Row (1)
Speaking of uni debating. Does anyone have lists of the teams unis in sydney are sending to Worlds this year? It's always an interesting indication of who's got the pick of the coaches.

Wallaby97

Stan Wickham (3)
Have just heard that Elle Jones won't be coaching at Sydney Grammar next year. Considering the Class of 2015 is widely regarded as the worst debating generation the school has produced since Turnbull's days we may well see a new winner in the GPS.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Please refrain from further 2015 banter, this thread is for 2014 banter only.

All future 2015 banter should be redirected to the 2015 forum (date: TBA).

P.S. My money's on Armidale for GPS - apparently they are beginning to take debating much more seriously, and have invested big bucks. Rumour has it they picked up Elle and a host of other elite coaches. Big news out of New England.

Enigma

Frank Row (1)
Please refrain from further 2015 banter, this thread is for 2014 banter only.

All future 2015 banter should be redirected to the 2015 forum (date: TBA).

It's 2015, I'm itching for some good debating banter, and I don't have a 2015 forum yet. This leaves me with two options. I can continue venting my banter into the empty air, which not only draws strange looks but is a horrible waste of my own creative intellect - OR - I can choose to post 2015 banter on the 2014 thread. Such a cataclysm would surely violate the sanctity of this fine forum, yet my inner anarchist rejoices.

I can count the recorded number of sightings of the Armidale team on my left hand. They're still better than View though.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Engima, I don't know who you are, and I don't know what you stand for, but none of the above makes any sense.

I have made it my personal project to find you, and hunt you down. I must first run through the clues you have provided me.

First, there's this:
I can count the recorded number of sightings of the Armidale team on my left hand.

The fabled Armidale team are more of an enigma than you'll ever be. Very few people have ever seen them, and the few that have haven't lived to tell the tale (or recite the adjudication). That leaves me with two options. Either you are bluffing, OR - and it is with great hesitation that I say this - you are in fact a member of the Armidale III!

Second, you write and argue with a sophistication that knows no bounds. You synthesise disparate pieces of information into a coherent logical form, you have superb microstructure, and your phraseology is amongst the finest this fabled forum has yet seen. It is clear, therefore, that you are a man of eloquence (or vir eloquens in pre-Vatican II speak). Your style would not be out of place in representative teams, and - in fact - I think it becoming of a 3 time Australian schools representative.

Third, as someone with a anarchic proclivity you must be opposed to big government, particularly on economic matters. I can tell from your bleak typeface that you're a fan of bleak corporatisation and standardised font selections. Would you describe yourself a right-wing economically? Because I would.

It is clear, therefore, that you can only be one man. You must be Alex Badidge's rowdy cousin from west of the great dividing range, the king of the swing (speaker), James S. Babidge.

And now that I have revealed your identity and 420rekt you in front of the entire internet I acquiesce to your demands.

Without further ado I present 2015.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/nsw-schools-debating-2015.15141/

iluvrugbyandscotts

Frank Row (1)
I think there should be a GPS debate about whether the dress is blue and black or white and gold (if you ask me the dress is green and gold). For those of you who do not know what I am talking about here is the source:

http://swiked.tumblr.com/post/112073818575/guys-please-help-me-is-this-dress-white-and

Anyway I think at least High will be able to pull off this debate, as I hear their 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade teams are extremely strong, Grammar may also have a fair chance.

Debating Dashy

Frank Row (1)
I think there should be a GPS debate about whether the dress is blue and black or white and gold (if you ask me the dress is green and gold). For those of you who do not know what I am talking about here is the source:

http://swiked.tumblr.com/post/112073818575/guys-please-help-me-is-this-dress-white-and

Anyway I think at least High will be able to pull off this debate, as I hear their 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade teams are extremely strong, Grammar may also have a fair chance.

First of all, shouldn't this post be on the 2015 forum? Additionally, no matter how good the team is, the cold hard facts are that the dress is blue and black, although I beg to differ and the dress is clearly white and gold. iluvrugbyandscotts, if you want to continue this argument, I am happy to provide an opinion on the 2015 forum and I am sure that not many people would like the idea of "necroing" an older forum.

Being a former debating student of one of the GPS teams, and knowing how the adjudicators work, a debate on the colour of the dress would not be very successful, unless picture evidence is provided, which isn't allowed, or the judge has previously seen the dress and has concluded that for them, they see white and gold. Furthermore, I have seen bias before in judging and I am fairly certain that the judge will refuse to believe the dress is another colour once they have seen it as white and gold.

I apologise to anyone for replying on an older forum but I felt that this is an issue needed to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.