• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Debating 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nahh I'm with him, from all that Cranbrook BS you've been spraying, clearly some feral cranbrookite

It's tempting to disregard and not to respond to banality but silence can be seen as acquiescence, which compels a response.
So, SW, wrong again, as was PJ.
I would point out that this forum has a wider range and audience than school boys and that there are a range of opinions on the site, which you may not and don’t have to agree with, but which you might recognise and tolerate as different to your own without trying to assign the opinion to an author.

On another note it will be interesting to see the upcoming GPS representative selections. As with the CAS, CHS and Archdale rep teams a number of year 11s in 2014 in rep teams are now in year 12. Having won the ISDA Scots were strong contenders for some members to be included but have not fared as well in GPS. High doing exceptionally well with straight wins. Grammar have recovered ground and Riverview also faring well. Some strong individual speakers in each.

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
It's tempting to disregard and not to respond to banality but silence can be seen as acquiescence, which compels a response.
So, SW, wrong again, as was PJ.
I would point out that this forum has a wider range and audience than school boys
So debating coach/coordinator. Not like there arent plenty of them already lurking on the forum.

Anyway, seeing how beating aka_the_think to posting riverview results is a thing these days, I heard that Riverview's Senior A SDN team went down to Pius on friday night, jeopardising their chances of making the grand final. Apparently even if they beat redlands, they may still face a playoff against Pius to make the final.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Wow, I stop checking the forum for a few days and it descends to this.

Ca1cus1us yep Riverview SDN Senior A lost, apparently somewhat controversial but that's obviously coming from biased sources so not significant really.

Over in GPS land, Riverview got smashed across the board - only 3 wins (2nds remain undefeated). 1sts went down in a close one, but High deserved winners.

Either View or Grammar will leave the Palladium theatre on Friday night with their tails between their legs.

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
So Archdale finals results so far
Tiebreakers

Tangara def Ascham
PLC Sydney def PLC Pymble

Quarters

Monte (1) def Tangara (~8)
MLC (2) def PLC Sydney (~7)
Meriden (3) def Danebank (6)
SCEGGS (5) def Abbotsleigh (4)

Dont know topic for Tiebreakers. Topic for quarters was something along the lines of That in times of extreme economic crisis that countries (eg Greece) should restrict the migration of skilled workers. (Or that might have been a paraphrase of it.)
Most results of quarters as expected. Economic type topics often trip teams up so its probably reassuring to see 3 of the top 4 teams survive the round. Though Abbotsleigh/SCEGGS was obviously going to be one to watch. Given the reps squad as evidence, i would imagine that the abbotsleigh team as being more consistent across the board and capable of overcoming SCEGGS one strong speaker (also given the weird results Sceggs showed during the season, losing to lower ranked teams Tangara and Danebank, not to mention their margin of 15 was a long way behind the top 4 teams, it seems to be a fair call)

Semis should be 1v5 and 2v3 which means
Monte v SCEGGS and MLC v Meriden.

Looking at who each team lost to and which round, there is some interesting insight in that the topic will probably massively make or break these teams. MLC lost their one debate to Pymble on a relatively simple GST topic, which suggests either really bad basic economic and political understanding or more likely that a topic that is less knowledge heavy will give an equally skilled team a better chance against them. Likewise, the loss of Monte and Meriden from affirmative in round 2 which was 20:80 Aff:Neg balance shows how that topic weighting can turn the tide between two closely matched teams. SCEGGs results are just confusing given who theye lost too, probably confirming my thoughts list previously.

On SDN
Jdebate, your tally is broken. It says totals for 6 rounds but it only has totals for 5 rounds.

Sam Wolfe

Frank Row (1)
1637145.jpg

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
No way its 9 adjes. Its most likely 3 as is the norm for finals panels in school comps of maybe 5 at best. Given that its taken until semis for comps like Archdale and ISDA to put on panels, clearly judge quality and/or costs/logistics is an issue for these comps. Also ISDA semis from memory had panels.

Edit:
oh, any word on View results from last friday aka_the_think?

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yep View went down in all Opens debates in GPS and SDN, disappointing outcome as all teams, in one night, has their premiership chances dashed. That said 2nds can win still if Grammar lose to High this Friday.

That's not the only premiership that could be tied based on Friday results between High and Grammar - if Grammar win they will be co-premiers with SBHS.

I've got info. on rep squads:

Archdale 1sts

Charlotte Haunton - Monte
Imogen Harper - SCEGGS
Georgia Chahoud - Abbotsleigh

Archdale 2nds

Sarah Kelland - Abbotsleigh
Bec McKeague - idk
Bec Oliver - idk
Nina Dillon-Britton - MLC

Archdale 3rds

Emily Halloran - idk
Isabella Mondaro - idk
Katrina Miller - Monte
Maddy Rogers - idk
Zoe Wheelan-Young - idk

GPS 1sts

Sam Wolfe - Grammar
Andreas Orsmond - Grammar
Pranay Jha - Kings
Vince Carse (4th) - Scots

GPS 2nds

Liam Donohoe - Riverview
Ganesh Chandra - High
Skanda Panditharatne - Grammar
Someone from Shore, name escapes me at 4th

GPS 3rds

Lachlan Hamilton - Scots
Daniel Evans - Newington
Harris Loxton - Kings
Jack Renshaw (4th) - Joeys.

CAS teams are located a page or so before this one.

CHS teams to announced this evening apparently.

Anyone have full wrap up of Archdale results? I heard Monte Senior A lost to SCEGGS - was that a semi?

Ontheside

Allen Oxlade (6)
Archdale 1sts

Charlotte Haunton - Monte
Imogen Harper - SCEGGS
Georgia Chahoud - Abbotsleigh

Archdale 2nds

Sarah Kelland - Abbotsleigh
Bec McKeague -Abbotsleigh
Bec Oliver - Danebank
Nina Dillon-Britton - MLC

Archdale 3rds

Emily Halloran -Meriden
Isabella Mondaro -Kincoppal
Katrina Miller - Monte
Maddy Rogers -Abbotsleigh
Zoe Wheelan-Young -Danebank

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
Uh, im missing some results but if I've worked this out correctly the SDN Senior A grand final will be Abbotsleigh v Redlands.
Senior B is likely a playoff of the winner of Abbotsleigh v Wenona against Roseville for the 2nd spot, but that's a guess. Either way its almost certainly two of those three teams in the grand final.
These are the results Ive been told so far. I haven't heard back re Abbotsleigh r7 yet and they didn't know how senior b went in round 6. Also missing wenona/redlands results from round 6.

Round 7 so far is proving to be a bad night for Affirmative teams.

Results Senior A
Round 6:
Wenona/Redlands
Pius d. Riverview
Roseville d. Monte
Stella Maris FF (Folau Fainga'a). to Abbotsleigh

Round 7
Stella Maris FF (Folau Fainga'a). to Monte
Redlands d. Riverview
Roseville d. Pius
Abbotsleigh/Wenona

Senior B
Round 6
Wenona/Redlands
Abbotsleigh/Stella Maris
Riverview d. Pius
Roseville d. Monte

Round 7
Stella Maris d. Monte
Redlands d. Riverview
Roseville d. Pius
Abbotsleigh/Wenona

Archdale was semis. Next week will be grand final for archdale as well as SDN and Premier's 11 metro grand final is this week apparently. Reps also start next week. Should be good. I like the CAS 1sts squad (to be clear im not in the squad or in any rep team, but just observations from the season) this year but given what I saw of the Archdale/GPS speakers (that did ISDA) earlier in the year, I don't know if its enough to topple the GPS reign.
Also, I got the topics for junior and senior for archdale semis (I accidentally deleted the message i got with the inter topics and cant remember them). Not what got picked but what the choices were. If aka_the_think has some results then I presume they might know what topic got debated?

Topics for 7A/7B/8A/8B:
That we should only trade with countries that agree to stop their nuclear programs
That it is acceptable for countries to spy on the officials of allied nations
That developing nations should prohibit tourist industries based on animal hunting

Topics for Seniors
That the United States should block ransom payments made by families for the release of ISIS captives
That Congress should block Obama's Iran deal
That the United Nations should cap the proportion of land that African Nations can sell to foreign countries or corporations (e.g. China)

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For Monte vs SCEGGS it was "That Congress should block Obama's Iran deal." Monte were aff., probs tougher.

Unsurprising about that topic being bad for affirmatives - the same topic was used the week before in GPS and none of the affirmatives won in the firsts I believe (perhaps not in the 2nds and 3rds comps as well).

Sam Wolfe

Frank Row (1)
GPS v CAS tomorrow evening at Kings. I would presume CHS v Archdale would run concurrently?

Any last minute banter/thoughts? I would tip a GPS win, though the CAS team looks far stronger than the dismal display it put up last year.

Al92

Allen Oxlade (6)
CAS is defs a stronger team than last year and GPS is probably not as strong as it was, a CAS win is not unimaginable, though I too would tip a GPS win in most circumstances. And Archdale over CHS.

Speaking of GPS, has anyone been tracking topics during the season and can post them up (aka_the_think?). Of the rounds of GPS I saw this year it was varied in terms of how unimpressed I was. Though I do think the rule change has made some improvement to the quality of 7-9 debates in GPS, though I wonder how much those teams will struggle when they reach y10...

ca1cu1us

Frank Nicholson (4)
Archdale Grand Final results.
7B Danebank d. Monte
7A Abbotsleigh d Roseville
8b Sceggs d. ascham
8A Ravenswood d. Sceggs
Y9 Pymble d. MLC
10 Sceggs d. Wenona
Snr MLC d. SCEGGS
Shield Winner SCEGGS

Senior topic was that Taylor swift has been good for feminism. MLC were affirmative

Sam Wolfe

Frank Row (1)
Archdale Grand Final results.
Senior topic was that Taylor swift has been good for feminism. MLC were affirmative

That is an odd topic. Certainly one I can't see myself doing justice to, but the ideas behind it are quite interesting. Good signs when the competitions move to more interesting/edgy topics instead of the old chestnuts.

Reactions: DRH
Status
Not open for further replies.