• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Is that official? I would have thought he would go with Gordon given he played all his junior footy there

Can't blame him for looking elsewhere as I understand the coaching set up at Gordon is not that great. Apparently it's an all family affair there with the husband, wife and son coaching 1's. If I were Goodman I'd be off to Eastwood where Ian Moyes is doing a great job down there. Moyes has been at all the rep games and has been talking to players. I know quite a few that will be headed that way next season as they have been most impressed with Moyes. The Gordon people have not been sighted!

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
Can't blame him for looking elsewhere as I understand the coaching set up at Gordon is not that great. Apparently it's an all family affair there with the husband, wife and son coaching 1's. If I were Goodman I'd be off to Eastwood where Ian Moyes is doing a great job down there. Moyes has been at all the rep games and has been talking to players. I know quite a few that will be headed that way next season as they have been most impressed with Moyes. The Gordon people have not been sighted!

One of the Gordon coaches was at Knox last Friday talking to a number of the boys. A lot of the CAS and GPS boys played for Gordon Juniors over the years, including Roach, Alexander and the 2 Goodmans. They would be crazy to let them slip away to other clubs.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)

Gordon Colts 1s are being coached by Peter Jollow & his 2 sons, Lee & Trent. They coached Gordon Colts 2s last year- prior to that they coached very sucessful Gordon Junior Rep teams over the years- including State Champions/Finalists. Australian Schoolboy Reps who came thru Jollow teams include Luke Jones, Luke Rissman & Nick Stirzaker(he mightn't be a cert for Sydney Uni when you look at history!)
Peter Jollow was definately @ Knox the other Friday. I understand Gordon Colts 1 form has been a little up & down but I wouldn't write them off.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I didn't see them at Newington. In any event the problem for all clubs is overcoming uni's tremendous advantage of attracting boys to study at the uni and play rugby there at the same time. Until the other clubs can have similar affiliations with other uni's they will be at a disadvantage. Also, clubs would be better served trying to attract those who were not part of the chosen state teams.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Spewn

A good post earlier about the different types of flanker. I don't think Goodman is an openside either. I first saw him about age 13 playing for Pymble and IIRR he was a no. 8, but he didn't grow as much as his peers did. He was a shaker and mover and over the top captain; so nothing much has changed there.

I also think that Connor is the better flanker, but the NSW IIs team is good enough to help him to shine for the national selectors.

The Waugh and Smith thing is curious. Phil was older, by 9 months IIRR, and was the backrow star for Oz Schools. NSW went for him instead of Smith; he was as tough as nails then as he was now and obviously a future leader. He was Oz A captain when he was 21 and I thought he should have been Tahs captain right after Little.

It's all very well in hindsight to say the Tahs were crazy not to pick Smith instead of Waugh but nobody except Manly people were saying it when Waugh got in the Tahs squad.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Now that some of the boys are finsishing school I thought it would be interesting to look at the NSW primary school team when they were at the end of primary school and see how many came through the years to also make the NSW secondary school team. From the website the 2004 NSWPSSA State Rugby Union Team was:

Chad McDONALD Gunnedah PS (NW) Zaxian GOODE Cronulla South PS (SE)
Ben ASKEW Newport PS (SN) Josh DRINKWATER Bateau Bay PS (SN)
Randle STREETER Pymble PS (SN) Francis KATOA Brookvale PS (SN)
Richard SIOLAA Ashcroft PS (SSW) Jacob LOKO Blairmount PS (SSW)
Harry MURDOCH Shore Grammar (CIS) Hugh ALEXANDER Knox Grammar (CIS)
Stuart GOODMAN Barker College (CIS) Jesse HARRIS Waverley College (CIS)
Tim DOBSON Knox Grammar (CIS) Matt WOODCOCK Knox Grammar (CIS)
William FAY Cranbrook School (CIS) James GRAHAM Newington Lindfield (CIS)
Adrian TATOLA St Dominic's, Flemington (MAC) Joshua CALDERON St Bernadette's, Castle Hill (MAC)
Cameron BOND St Brigid's, Gwynneville (MAC) James LOVE Mt Carmel, Yass (MAC)
Boyd CORDNER St Joseph's, Taree (POLD) Harry SEIJKA Holy Family, Bathurst (POLD)

I saw a few familiar names over the trials. Stuart Goodman was 7 at primary school and is still 7 in the senior team. Great achievement. Hugh Alexander was hooker and has now returned to that position. James Graham was 6 and was 7 in gps 3s. Should have stayed at New and not gone to Grammar. Zaxian Goode was reserve flanker and was 6 in gps2s. Will Fay was 10 and is still a 10 in cas 1s. Jesse Harris was no 8 and was cas1s second row.

Where are the rest now? Cameron Bond is injured but where are the rest? Things change over the years. They will change again after school.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
Where are the rest now?

Ben ASKEW Newport PS - CHS 2 rugby 2010
Josh DRINKWATER Bateau Bay PS - Manly SG Ball 2010 and NSW CHS rugby league 2010
Jacob LOKO Blairmount PS - Parramatta Eels Toyota Cup 2010
Matt WOODCOCK Knox Grammar - Knox 1st XV 2010
Boyd CORDNER St Joseph's, Taree - contracted to the Roosters, currently injured
Harry SEIJKA Holy Family, Bathurst - Penrith Toyota Cup 2010

U

Upright

Spewn

A good post earlier about the different types of flanker. I don't think Goodman is an openside either. I first saw him about age 13 playing for Pymble and IIRR he was a no. 8, but he didn't grow as much as his peers did. He was a shaker and mover and over the top captain; so nothing much has changed there.

I also think that Connor is the better flanker, but the NSW IIs team is good enough to help him to shine for the national selectors.

The Waugh and Smith thing is curious. Phil was older, by 9 months IIRR, and was the backrow star for Oz Schools. NSW went for him instead of Smith; he was as tough as nails then as he was now and obviously a future leader. He was Oz A captain when he was 21 and I thought he should have been Tahs captain right after Little.

It's all very well in hindsight to say the Tahs were crazy not to pick Smith instead of Waugh but nobody except Manly people were saying it when Waugh got in the Tahs squad.

Lee,
You are 100% correct re the Smith / Waugh situation and when it is all said and done they have both proven to be greats of Australian rugby but in a different way. As for the discussion re the boys chosen for this years teams they are both (as is Killingworth) good schoolboy players. From what i saw at both GPS v CAS and then again last Friday they all played strongly and deserved selection. How they go in Queensland will be well worth watching.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Tim Dobson was a up & coming half-back playing in same Gordon Rep team as the Goodmans, McNeil, Woodcock etc.
Broke his leg(I think) badly a couple of years ago and has not played Rugby since. Not sure if medical or persional choice reasons.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm hearing Big Willie Skelton and prop Petelo Tatuilo from Hills Sports have been selected in CS.

R

rugbyfan

I hope those blokes didn't make the team. From watching CHS play, they both would take a hitup and then walk for 10 mins.
CS will have a hard time keeping up with NSW and QLD etc if they have big blokes who dont run freely

R

rugbyfan

DOC, are you aware of the forwards in the CS team? I'm curious to see if they can cope with the force of QLD and NSW

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Combined States team in on the Oz Schools thread. Two lads from the winning indigenous LMDR Team were the only ones selected from the Div II Championships in Geelong; however they picked a Div II Merit Team which is also on the Oz Schools thread.

T

the berries

Unfortunately the cost of playing colts at the woodies is too high for school kid. $350.00 last year and this year around $500.00. The young bloke next door plays for the woodies and is a struggling apprentice. He is offered $700.00 a week to play A grade league with St Marys. ALL TRUE. Union fails to the kids particularly from the poorer west. I can't afford for my sons to take it on when Leagues clubs assist with fees.

T

the berries

Makes me wonder why a team needs 60 to 90 mins to warm up on the pitch proper. Get the crowd going with some quality school boy rep footy. gives the kids a chance to show their wares and the atmosphere is tremendous.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.