• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wrinkled Rat

Lee great report re CHS v ISA, summed up the day pretty well.
Very disappointing from CHS, only players IMO that did their chances no harm were 7,8,9 & 15 in the 1's & I think the right winger in the 2's. I am predicting a similar fate when CHS take on GPS. So it it will be interesting to see the selectors take, when teams are announced.
Will be interesting to see how the ISA forwards perform against what will undoubtedly a more structured side in CAS.
The gap in quality between the 1's & 2's seemed to be much greater this year than in the past, or am I being a little harsh?

Very dominant display, Maestri, Dombkins and Vaka making it easier for the backs and to be fair you could swap Black and Brisby (query defence) with Wessels and McCallum and the score would have been no different when you have Purcell & Hingano at 12 & 13. In fact both sets of halves and fly halves in the 2nds would not be out of touch either.

There is a move for an ISA v GPS fixture to ensure probity of the NSW teams as they will be dominated by Auggies & Kings

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
CHS were absolutely terrible. They are playing for pride on Friday against GPS. Many of the players have done their selection chances no good. I agree the 7, 8, 9 and 15 tried but played behind a well beaten team. I also think David Lolohea went ok and should figure in one of the NSW teams.

McCallum, as far as I'm aware, is on the NTS program so I guess he will figure strongly in the selection debate. No question about Brisby's performance as it was great. I also liked the look of the ISA centres. CHS 12 Junior Nuitio should not have played as he was carrying a leg injury and it really showed against the polished pair from ISA.

It was a clear ISA tactic not to kick to the CHS 15 Seage. They did not want to engage him in counter attack and instead ran the ball on most occasions to nullify any involvement from the fast 15. Some people have mentioned the ISA 15 Keary as a possible NSW selection (I agree he had a good game) but they have failed to mention the fact that when Seage scored his try from about 30 metres out he absolutely burnt Keary and the winger for pace. Also no mention was made of Seage's chase of 14 Declan Smith to stop him 2 metres from the tryline after giving him 15 metres head start. This bloke has x factor speed and the NSW selectors would have noticed that. If he was playing for ISA yesterday he would have scorched the turf!

So CHS players still in the hunt are Broome, McCallum, Seage, Wessells, Havea, Lolohea and Tony Satini for a wing spot. CHS 2's players to impress yesterday were 4 William Skelton who scored two tries and set one up with big runs, 6 Kelepi Leao who is everywhere (except 1's - where he should be) 7 Brendan Newcombe, a good lineout jumper and gets around the field well, 10 Sam Muller (an NTS player),, centres Bruce Satiu and Peter Shuster who displayed great defence and fullback James Vaka who should be in 1's somewhere. He may be a smokey for a spot in NSW 2's somewhere.

W

Wrinkled Rat

CHS were absolutely terrible. They are playing for pride on Friday against GPS. Many of the players have done their selection chances no good. I agree the 7, 8, 9 and 15 tried but played behind a well beaten team. I also think David Lolohea went ok and should figure in one of the NSW teams.

McCallum, as far as I'm aware, is on the NTS program so I guess he will figure strongly in the selection debate. No question about Brisby's performance as it was great. I also liked the look of the ISA centres. CHS 12 Junior Nuitio should not have played as he was carrying a leg injury and it really showed against the polished pair from ISA.

It was a clear ISA tactic not to kick to the CHS 15 Seage. They did not want to engage him in counter attack and instead ran the ball on most occasions to nullify any involvement from the fast 15. Some people have mentioned the ISA 15 Keary as a possible NSW selection (I agree he had a good game) but they have failed to mention the fact that when Seage scored his try from about 30 metres out he absolutely burnt Keary and the winger for pace. Also no mention was made of Seage's chase of 14 Declan Smith to stop him 2 metres from the tryline after giving him 15 metres head start. This bloke has x factor speed and the NSW selectors would have noticed that. If he was playing for ISA yesterday he would have scorched the turf!

So CHS players still in the hunt are Broome, McCallum, Seage, Wessells, Lolohea and Tony Satini for a wing spot. CHS 2's players to impress yesterday were 4 William Skelton who scored two tries and set one up with big runs, 6 Kelepi Leao who is everywhere (except 1's - where he should be) 7 Brendan Newcombe, a good lineout jumper and gets around the field well, 10 Sam Muller (an NTS player),, centres Bruce Satiu and Peter Shuster who displayed great defence and fullback James Vaka who should be in 1's somewhere. He may be a smokey for a spot in NSW 2's somewhere.

Teams coached by Papa do not kick

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
observer - good observing and more or less a replay of some incidents. No, I didn't notice that Keary was burnt. Your comment on limiting the kicking to Seage rings true as he was dynamite against CAS in counter attack. Actually ISA were that good in counter attack themselves from anywhere on the park, including from near their own line, that running the pill was the better option for them. They scored some marvellous tries didn't they?

Thanks also for your earlier comments on the selection of players committed to league. I will have to store some of that info away so that I can look smart in the future by mentioning your stuff.

DPK since you are my 43rd best friend here are the two ISA teams - all are St. Augustines' lads unless a different school is mentioned:

Ones
1. Mokofisi
2. Kaufmann
3. Brodie - St. Andrews
4. Dombkins
5. Hall - St Gregorys
6. Vaka
7. Conlon
8. Maestri
9. Black - Chevalier
10. Brisby
11. Vescia
12. Purcell
13. Hingano
14. Smith - Oakhill
15. Keary - Oakhill

Twos
1. Pettenon - Oakhill
2. Calderan - Oakhill
3. Malu
4. O'Brien - Oakhill
5. Hanigan
6. Fletcher
7. Borowski - Kinross
8. Langrell
9. Koertz - Stannies
10. Trim
11. Losell
12. Hudd - St Andrews
13. Folemi - St Andrew
14. Date - Kinross
15. Tamone - Oakhill

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Very dominant display, Maestri, Dombkins and Vaka making it easier for the backs and to be fair you could swap Black and Brisby (query defence) with Wessels and McCallum and the score would have been no different when you have Purcell & Hingano at 12 & 13. In fact both sets of halves and fly halves in the 2nds would not be out of touch either.

I can agree with you about the 9's, but without trying to bag the CHS 10 I am sure he was bitterly disappointed with his performance. I accept he was behind a well beaten pack & his centres were outclassed so that did make things difficult for him, however ISA 10 did seem to step him at will & made far too many breaks between the 10 & 12.
Interestingly neither 10 showed they even had a reasonable kicking game. CHS 10 kicking was disappointing & ISA 10 did not kick.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
If nsw are to field some legitamately properly selected teams, then that match has to happen. GPS only play 2 matches anyways, and as I'm led to believe, the CHS fixture is ISA's only fixture against (supposedly) hard opposition.

ISA gets to play CAS as well. CHS gets to play against both CAS and GPS, and CHS and ISA play each other, but ISA doesn't get to play against GPS as CHS does. Ideally CHS and ISA should have the same programme, but I suppose that there aren't enough match days to do everything, otherwise they would do it.

It seems that ISA is stronger these days than it used to be. You could see a case where ISA would get to play CAS and GPS every year as CHS does. If there aren't enough matchdays to fit everything in and either ISA or CHS gets to play the 2 other groups, it should be ISA. It might be different if there were more boys from outside Sydney in the CHS team, and you wanted to give non-Sydney lads more games, but the bulk of CHS teams is from the Sydney Sports High Schools.

If there is only enough time for one of CHS and ISA to play against the other two groups their match could be the first rep game of the season and the winner gets to play both CAS and GPS, and the loser only one of them.

Another alternative is for 3 NSW All Stars teams to be chosen from every school in NSW outside of CAS and GPS and have them compete with CAS and GPS in two games each over 3 match days. ISA would play CHS before the selection of this All Stars team.

It sounds too hard but if there was a million dollars in it a way would be found.

I fear that ISA won't be represented as strongly as it should be because the gun ISA lads can't be compared directly against the gun GPS players.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interestingly neither 10 showed they even had a reasonable kicking game. CHS 10 kicking was disappointing & ISA 10 did not kick.

Brisby is not too bad when he has to and I saw MacCallum hoof the ball against CAS. In Brisby's case his 12 Purcell is the kicking man for St. Augustines and the same prevailed for ISA.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I can agree with you about the 9's, but without trying to bag the CHS 10 I am sure he was bitterly disappointed with his performance. I accept he was behind a well beaten pack & his centres were outclassed so that did make things difficult for him, however ISA 10 did seem to step him at will & made far too many breaks between the 10 & 12.

Brisby will be the 10, there is no doubt and has been "penciled" into this position since year 10. He is a current australian touch football rep so the step and speed over the first 15 meters are no surprise. I agree with you on the kicking perspective but that is not the game that the coach will run and why Debrezni and Walford will not get the gig. BTW, I am not that convinced he is that complete a number 10 (defence, tactics and talk). Standing behind the goal posts yesterday provided a useful insight into how the gaps really opened up. It will be a battle for NSW 2nds at 10. McCallum is more of league half/five eight and I mean that complimentarily as he has a complete game run, pass, kick, tackle. Of the others, Fay, Trim and Wylie are 'smart' number 10's with proven ability. Tough choices.

The Donlan/Wylie combination will be interesting at GPS as both have played significant game time at club and rep fixtures. This will be pivotal for the purists "GPS v CAS" fixture and cannot wait for Killingworth v Goodman. ISA V CAS will be old school versus new school tactics. Run v Positional percentages

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Keary was fullback and the last line of defence; he was coming across to defend the flying CHS 15 but could not match it for pace.

However he had sufficient pace to score his own try and the tackle he made with his winger to pull down the N0.8 a couple of meters out from the line, steal the ball and put in a good clearing kick I think shows his class.

From my observations I dont think that any of the CHS players outplayed their counterpart. If the suggested players from CHS are still a chance then the ISA players are also just as big a chance

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
From my observations I dont think that any of the CHS players outplayed their counterpart. If the suggested players from CHS are still a chance then the ISA players are also just as big a chance

I agree, if I was in the ISA 1's I would be happy with my chances moving forward, however regardless of how well they play against CAS they will not all get picked.
That's just the way it is.The fringe players will be sacrificed to to an unofficial quota system.
hopefully CAS will be a tougher game & each individual can show how they perform under pressure.
Can only auger well for NSW !

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
observer - yeah I saw it but what I meant is that I didn't recognise that it was Keary. To be honest I didn't warm to Keary until later in the match.

Without naming names - unless you want to - in which areas do people think that NSW Schools will be strong - and which, weak?

W

Wrinkled Rat

I agree, if I was in the ISA 1's I would be happy with my chances moving forward, however regardless of how well they play against CAS they will not all get picked.
That's just the way it is.The fringe players will be sacrificed to to an unofficial quota system.
hopefully CAS will be a tougher game & each individual can show how they perform under pressure.
Can only auger well for NSW !

I agree with the standard of NSW rugby this year and that the CAS v ISA game will define how the NSW teams look and what team Pappa takes to QLD. If the ISA v CAS result is tight and if the ISA v GPS fixture can be arranged then we will see a sprinkling of talent from across the competitions represented in the NSW 1's but I don't expect that to happen. What will happen is that the GPS v CAS team will be a boring non event with players playing for themselves not their teams such is the stupidity of GPS teams only being announced last Saturday. That may have been acceptable when GPS held all the talent, not so now and frankly a bit naive. The CAS structured game plan V ISA expansive run at every opportinity plan will be a more interesting affair. I expect one player from each being yellow carded. One for a late tackle on an inside back, the other for retaliation. ISA to then put on 2 tries either side of half time taking the game away from CAS. A small blow out but not to the extent of the CHS result. From there, expect the quota process to be limited to the NSW 2nds only and Pappa free to take the team he wants to QLD rather than the respective competition party lines having their usual two bobs worth.

W

Wrinkled Rat

I thought that was one of the most brilliant things i have seen from a schoolboy, usually plays in the halves and flyhalf in union so i dont think he would have known what he was doing at fullback on sunday

Agreed, no comparison between that piece of brilliance and conceding a try late in the game. There are three very, very handy number 10's at ISA, Keary from Oakhill forced to 15 in the trials with Trim (Auggies) trialling at 10, Brisby was rested. IMO, they have it the wrong way around. ISA would be even stronger with either at 10 and Brisby at 15 with his open field running a better use of the assets. Lack of consistent competition means the status quo will remain. If the CAS game is tight, keep an eye out for a switch or substitution.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
observer - yeah I saw it but what I meant is that I didn't recognise that it was Keary. To be honest I didn't warm to Keary until later in the match.

Without naming names - unless you want to - in which areas do people think that NSW Schools will be strong - and which, weak?

Positions that are strong are
Props
Hookers
Openside
Halves
Fly-half
Outsdie centre
Wingers and
Fullbacks

The two positions that are not as strong are Locks (I believe there are three strong contenders), Blindside flanker where the Kings player is a standout and N0.8 with no really strong contender.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Rat,
I agree ISA 15 had some nice touches thru the game showing soft hands & a bit of class,(as did the CHS15) also agree that Brisby would be unbelievable with a bit of space & IMO a walk up startfor an Aussie jumper, I have seen him play quite a bit & noticed that his service & vision for holes for team mates out wider has improved significantly. Cannot foresee however what could possibly eventuate where papa will move or replace him apart from injury

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Rat,
I agree ISA 15 had some nice touches thru the game showing soft hands & a bit of class,(as did the CHS15) also agree that Brisby would be unbelievable with a bit of space & IMO a walk up startfor an Aussie jumper, I have seen him play quite a bit & noticed that his service & vision for holes for team mates out wider has improved significantly. Cannot foresee however what could possibly eventuate where papa will move or replace him apart from injury

Given the short preparation established combinations are important and I believe Pappahatzis will go with the Augies and ISA combination as his midfield (Brisby, Purcell and Hingano)

W

Wrinkled Rat

Rat,

Yes, that has come from his touch football set plays. 5 quick dumps into the ruck dragging in the defence before the long pass to the unmarked winger on the sideline. Postie from CHS runs the same drill at touch with the Parra boys. Auggies attack is a mixture of bullocking runs from JJ & Mali to half a dozen set moves that bring in the 15 and blind side winger. 4 were used in the Joeys carve up, only the two effectively used yesterday given that Smith and Keary only had an hour to run with them. The two yesterday were identical to what Kings used against Newington. Nothing too fancy but just done with precision and pace. It's combinations at this time of year that stand up and I do feel for the GPS talent that will not get a chance to fully develop them

Status
Not open for further replies.