• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
hes a very talented player with attacking flare and solid defence similar to seagey who by the way was dropped for keary in the parramattta grand finals a few years ago
but Keary is a definate player to watch

There is a reason Keary (who is a Parramatta junior) plays for Manly and that is because he can't get a run with Parramatta. The Eels made a decision a few years ago that the bloke couldn't tackle and wasn't graded hence why he looked for opportunities elsewhere. In the meantime Seage has represented Parramatta as the starting half back in the Eels Harold Matthews (16's) and SG Ball competitions (18's) and is now in the Toyota Cup squad (20's). Get the facts straight!

In the SG Ball game between Parramatta and Manly this season Seage scored two trys, the first bumping off Keary and the second one running around him. Just so there is no confusion here is the match report from the Manly website http://www.mwse.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=23412

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
ISA plays CAS at Knox on Friday. This is the second trial day and all associations' teams are playing, I don't know if it will be a full game or one with shortened periods of play.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Rat,
& IMO a walk up startfor an Aussie jumper,

Hahaha! Have you seen any QLD players yet?
That sort of attitude is what gets NSW beaten so often.
I would think that you should wait until players from north of the border are given a chance.

The Chosen

Fred Wood (13)
Pardon my ignorance, but when and where does ISA play CAS?

Lee,

According to CAS website, CAS vs ISA is @ KG1 at 5.05 pm on Friday- obviously `under lights'

Re your observation on Cameron Clark- he made a big difference to Knox backline last Saturday- chimed in beautifully serveral times and instrumental in both their 1st half tries. Will be interesting to see hpw he goes `on the slope' @ Newington today.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks - I couldn't even find the CAS website - at least where on it to get the info you provided.

So the game is on between the 2 GPS games. That makes a nonsense of my earlier complaint that ISA got to play CHS this year but not CAS or GPS.

Oh well, at least I will turn up at the right ground. When I clicked AAGPS they had the GPS games on at Caragul, but of course, they would have to be under lights at Knox 1.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
GPS kicked arse today

Ones GPS 32 CAS 10
Twos GPS 33 CAS 5
Threes GPS 54 CHS 7

These scores may not be gospel but they are close enough

More later.

N

Nanai

Apo Latinipulu was the most impressive inside centre I have seen live all year, this includes alot of club rugby, the wallabies match I went to see on saturday night against England and all other school rep teams that have already played so far, which I have also seen.

By all accounts he was outstanding. Unfortunately I had to leave the ground halfway through 2nds.

Of things I have said in the past re: the GPS thread, Joel Reardon from Scots proved me very wrong today. Scintillating effort from the young man and the selectors proved me quite wrong.

However, I think the performance of the two 9s in 3rds pretty much proves my point about pathway selections instead of merit selections. They were both all at sea and didn't really cope with the high-paced attack, Jeong moreso than Merriman. To Bannon, too, his pass is well below par, but I'm still super-impressed with his acceleration and pace. Hopefully someone in the latter stages of his rugby life will put him in a place where he can actually use it.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Hahaha! Have you seen any QLD players yet?
That sort of attitude is what gets NSW beaten so often.
I would think that you should wait until players from north of the border are given a chance.

unfortunately I have to agree, as good as these NSW players sound, I doubt we would get more than 3-4 into the aussie schools side. The QLD's GPS import policy doesn't seem to be to be slowing in pace

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
All the lads should be proud of their efforts today, especially the Twos players who had to contend with the cold, and the wettest part of the day.

Ones
GPS 32 – CAS 10

It was 5-3 to GPS at oranges and an attritional game though not without some merit in defence from both sides. But in the 2nd half GPS kept breaking away on raids which were often converted into tries. They looked fitter than the CAS lads and it was hard for the players in the red jerseys to shine when their forwards had to retreat so often in the 2nd half.

2. Roach (New) and 3. Millar (Kings) had outstandingly hard, yet agile, games for GPS and 1. Gillespie (Kings) had his side of the scrum going forward. 2009 Oz Schools hooker Roach had a few problems throwing to the lineout but he wasn't the Lone Ranger on the day. None of the 2nd rowers would have got a lot of ticks on the clipboards of the NSW selectors but Harris (Waverly) from CAS did his chances no harm.

In the backrow the GPS pairing of 6. Killingworth and 7. Connor, both of Kings, looked better than Bursle (Knox) and Goodman (Barker), but CAS skipper Goodman was an outstanding motivator, as usual. Both 8s were good but I marked Holloway (Waverly) in a team on the back foot better than Kent (Kings), though I would have no beef if the NSW selectors saw it the other way around.

In the backs the superiority of the GPS 9, 10, 12, 13 nexus: Donlan (View), Wylie (Kings), Latinupulu (New) and 13 Ingate (Kings), was palpably superior, but how selectors would factor in the difference in the quality of ball disbursed by the two forward packs, is anybody's guess.

On the wing Hulme (SJC) seized his chances and worked well with fullback Lenehan (View) who had a top game especially on counter-attack. CAS 15. Clark (Knox) usually got the ball and 4 GPS players in front of him at the same time, but he had a go at them. I wonder how my assessment of the two fullbacks would have been had they played behind the opposing team's backline.

The Man Of The Match was 12. Apolosi Latinupulu (New) of GPS. In the 1st half with everything at the margin he played an accurate minimalist game yet when the match opened up in the 2nd half he was almost irresistible every time he had the ball. In a stellar performance he ran over folks, skipped around them or dished out the golden ball, most often for a try.

Twos
GPS 33 – CAS 5

These lads got the worst of the weather at a time when spectators were more worried about getting wet than watching the game closely. I thought GPS 8 Luani (New) was one of the most dynamic players on the park, the GPS midfield was good and winger Buchanan, more often in the Twos at SJC, had a good day. Unfortunately GPS 2 Moore (Scots) damaged his ankle so badly he had to be assisted off the field.

Threes
GPS 54 – CHS 7

GPS were too fit and to well drilled, and were better in practically every position.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It's a pity that the ISA Ones are playing CAS Ones on Friday and not GPS Ones, as it would be a cracking match and one that would make the job of the NSW selectors a lot easier.

A game like this would resemble a crunch game at the Oz Schools tournament more closely than any other NSW trial match and performances in it would give selectors a better picture of how players can play at the margin of their abilities.

Having seen all the NSW groups play now my opinion of the sectors of the two likely NSW teams is as follows:

Front row - superb in the Ones
2nd row - not up to last year's high standards
Backrow - decent but not stellar
Halves - very good in the Ones and good in the Twos
Midfield - outstanding in Ones and Twos
Back 3 - average

Before today I had the St. Augustine's nexus of 10. Brisby, 12 Purcell and 13. Hingano in the NSW Ones but the performance of 12. Latinupulu (NC) against CAS makes me pause. Purcell, the star ISA facilitator and a Kiwi type 2nd 5, could look like a million dollars versus CAS on Friday also, but he will have to have a grand performance to top "Apo". Kicking all his goals on Friday will do his cause no harm either.

And if Apo does get the 12 spot selectors will figure out that 13 Hingano is such a similar type of player to him, that he (Hingano) could be overlooked for the Cameron Shepherd type, Ingate.

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall at the selectors' meeting.

U

Upright

Selection Problem

Agree re ISA not playing GPS - selectors will view what may well be two quite uneven games (ISA v CAS) and (CHS v GPS) and make choices from that not to mention the "bolter" who will come from the other matches. The debacle that was last years selections around the numbers 10 and 12 should have been sufficent for there to be a change in how these games operate, that is if the real outcome is to pick the best boys to play for NSW schools. That said good luck to all the lads playing and hopefully the weather won't intervene too much, making the selections even more guess work/lobbying, than objective assessment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good first post Upright. Welcome aboard.

On lobbying: I guess it is a way of life with schools selections but by the sound of things Queensland is in worse shape in that respect.

C

catchpole

Lee,

I have checked the AAGPS site for teams selected for Friday's games at Knox. The revised teams are not posted as previoyusly forecast. When will these teams be posted?

Do you expect any significant changes to either the 1st or 2nd XV selections, or any players from the 3rd XV receiving a promotion to further their chances?

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
It's a pity that the ISA Ones are playing CAS Ones on Friday and not GPS Ones, as it would be a cracking match and one that would make the job of the NSW selectors a lot easier.

A game like this would resemble a crunch game at the Oz Schools tournament more closely than any other NSW trial match and performances in it would give selectors a better picture of how players can play at the margin of their abilities.

Having seen all the NSW groups play now my opinion of the sectors of the two likely NSW teams is as follows:

Front row - superb in the Ones
2nd row - not up to last year's high standards
Backrow - decent but not stellar
Halves - very good in the Ones and good in the Twos
Midfield - outstanding in Ones and Twos
Back 3 - average

Before today I had the St. Augustine's nexus of 10. Brisby, 12 Purcell and 13. Hingano in the NSW Ones but the performance of 12. Latinupulu (NC) against CAS makes me pause. Purcell, the star ISA facilitator and a Kiwi type 2nd 5, could look like a million dollars versus CAS on Friday also, but he will have to have a grand performance to top "Apo". Kicking all his goals on Friday will do his cause no harm either.

And if Apo does get the 12 spot selectors will figure out that 13 Hingano is such a similar type of player to him, that he (Hingano) could be overlooked for the Cameron Shepherd type, Ingate.

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall at the selectors' meeting.

Interesting re the front row as I am not seeing much talent at all. I do rate Millar but the CAS and CHS boys are pretty average. Have not seen the ISA boys, any standouts there? Agree the talent in the locks is a worry and no match for Jones and Peterson from 2009, who are both very big boys. At no 8 the CHS boy gets the nod ahead of Holloway for mine.

In the centres the Apo and Mali combination is too hard to ignore, both strong solid, direct players, although Mali can step and is probably qiucker than Apo. Sounds like they will be up against some speedsters from Qld so defence is going to be an issue in the centres and both are strong in that area. I don''t think Ingate is ready just yet, solid but not outstanding - 2's at best

At fullback I actually thought Clarke did enough to earn the spot ahead of Lenehan with Seage on the wing.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The ISA side has two very strong props - one was a shadow player for NSW last year (Mokalali(?)) and one is current member of the NTS (Rhys from St Andrews). Both these players completely dominated their CHS opponents last sunday and I believe both should be seriously considered for one of the two NSW sides.

As for the locks I believe there could be a bolter here with Dombkins from ISA maybe sneaking a spot on the bench if not in one of the starting sides due to the lack of depth. He was in the NSW 16's last year as a number 6 and 8 and jumped well there. He has been playing lock for Auggies this year and last Sunday was ISA's main jumper at 2 and was very strong. He isn't overly tall but he has a good vertical leap and reach. He also is an NTS member.

I still believe that the midfield should be Brisby, Purcell and Mali. I haven't seen Latinupulu play and by all accounts he is very strong but given the short period of time that the teams have to get ready I believe the existing combinations that were so evident last Sunday between them should be the determining factor in their selection.

Anyway these and many more questions will be answered next Friday. Hope we select the best possible teams and ignore politics/quotas so that we have the best chance of beating Queensland

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They should spread the games out a bit, this will be the 3rd game in under a week for the boys.

W

Wrinkled Rat

From the AAGPS Website: "
"GPS RUGBY SELECTIONS 2010

TO PLAY CHS & ISA ON

FRIDAY 25 JUNE, 2010 AT KNOX GRAMMAR SCHOOL."

Interesting.
I'm guessing since ISA are there to play CAS, and GPS to play their yearly battle with CHS, that ISA will of course be playing one half against CAS and GPS, GPS playing one half against CHS and ISA, and CHS and CAS playing one half against the team they haven't played yet, and one against each other.

There was discussion following the CHS v ISA fixture of an ISA v GPS game but uncertain of the outcome.

At the moment, I believe it is;
1st XV
GPS v CHS
CAS v ISA

2nd XV
GPS v ISA
CAS v CHS

Utopia woud be the scenario where all 4 play each other but I reckon a 50:50 deal on Friday would not suit and perhaps provide more conjecture. CAS v ISA will provide an invaluable barometer. If CAS can get over ISA then the GPS lobby will have a much better chance of upsetting the ISA monopoly. If it is a win of any margin by ISA, then there will be free rein for the coach to take in a personalised 1st XV and not have to worry about the partisan quota system. At the end of the day, I think we need to trust that they will be looking at the best interests of NSW Rugby in their decision.

P

PTB

Guy millar and Jed gillespie for NSW 1's
therefore the GPS front row for NSW 1's

N

Nol3dg3

NSW 1st XV:
1. Lolohea CHS
2. Roach GPS
3. Miller GPS
4. Reid CAS
5. Cummings GPS