• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools -Trial Games and Selections 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thismybrotha

NSW 1st XV:
1. Lolohea CHS
2. Roach GPS
3. Miller GPS
4. Reid CAS
5. Cummings GPS
6. Goodman CAS
7. Broome CHS
8. Havea CHS
9. Wessels CHS
10. Brisby ISA
11. Hingano ISA
12. Latinupulu GPS
13. Purcell ISA
14. Seage CHS
15. Clark CAS

There is a severe lack of Connor from GPS in that list.

P

PTB

considering Tom connor made NSW last year he will make it this year
and for number 6 killingworth from GPS had a strong game against CAS scoring 2 tries
lolohea is to big and slow to get round at a higher level
he will also go missing against hard opposition. i know because i have had first hand experience

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And if Apo does get the 12 spot selectors will figure out that 13 Hingano is such a similar type of player to him, that he (Hingano) could be overlooked for the Cameron Shepherd type, Ingate.

Lee, certainly agree that combinations should be a big factor. If the selectors also share the same view then it's Purcell & Hingano or Latinupulu & Ingate.
I have heard that purcell is on crutches ATM & i would imagine that means he is in doubt for this Friday.if this is correct makes the selection meeting interesting.
No doubt Apo will tear CHS apart, Purcell only on show once. what to do if both Apo & Hingano play well? pick a combination so that one in form centre misses out, or repeat last years debacle & just pick individuals that will not combine well?

R

rugby_man

A lot of the players that made either NSW I or NSW II last year would most likely be included in the NSW I side this year. Usually that is how the schools system works.

NSW 1st XV

1. David Lolohea (CHS)
2. Hugh Roach (GPS)
3. Guy Millar (GPS)
4. Jesse Harris (CAS)
5. Steve Cummins (CHS)
6. Boyd Killingsworth (GPS)
7. Tom Connor (GPS)
8. Usaia O'Sullivan (CAS)
9. Tim Donlan (GPS)
10. Sam Brisby (ISA)
11. Jason Seage (CHS)
12. Apo Latunipulu (GPS)
13. Dane Atkinson (GPS)
14. Malietoa Hingano (ISA)
15. Cameron Clarke (CAS)

20. Jed Holloway (CAS)
22. Brogan Roods (GPS)

NSW 2nd XV

1. Jack Wallace (CAS)
2. Clarrie Moore (GPS)
4. Ryan Dombkins (ISA)
5. Jordan Reid (CAS)
6. Sam Vaka (ISA)
7. Stuart Goodman (CAS)
8. James Dargaville (CCC)
9. Waldo Wessels (CHS)
10. Ed Wylie (GPS)
11. Matthew Hulme (GPS)
12. Jack Purcell (ISA)
13. Asipeli Fine (CAS)
14. Chris Ingate (GPS)
15. Ben Lenehan (GPS)

16. Jed Gillespie (GPS)
17. Hugh Alexander (CAS)
20. Gordon Broome (CHS)
22. Sam Mueller (CHS)

P

pitbull

How did Roods go in 2nds? He has a good combo with Apo

Roods outclassed his opposite in 2's, but this was to be expected. Got very little ball due to McCormack, who limited their scoring oppurtunities by playing selfish rugby.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
lolohea is to big and slow to get round at a higher level
he will also go missing against hard opposition. i know because i have had first hand experience

Tough call. He was nearly everyones man of the match in the CHS v CAS game. Isn't CAS considered hard opposition?

Some people have named injured players in their squads such as Steve Cummins CHS, Usaia O'Sullivan CAS and Dane Atkinson GPS. Are people saying that they will get picked anyway without playing in the selection trials?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Interesting re the front row as I am not seeing much talent at all.

I said the NSW Ones would have a superb front row. You rate Millar, as I do, and the 2009 Oz Schools hooker, Roach, definitely has talent. You have obviously seen CHS play but don't rate LHP Lolohea who followed up a good display against CAS with a superb effort at Rat Park last Sunday in a well beaten CHS team. This guys is 130kgs, can scrummage and played for the whole 70 minutes and acting as enforcer.

That will be a superb front row.

In the centres the Apo and Mali combination is too hard to ignore, both strong solid, direct players, although Mali can step and is probably qiucker than Apo. Sounds like they will be up against some speedsters from Qld so defence is going to be an issue in the centres and both are strong in that area. I don''t think Ingate is ready just yet, solid but not outstanding - 2's at best

I thought you hadn't seen ISA this year but perhaps you have seen Mali Hingano at other times for St. Augustine's. Apo and Mali would be a dynamite midfield pairing wouldn't they, but they are quite similar players, which is probably not here nor there. It's the third time I've seen Ingate this year and I rate him a lot better than solid, but the best wrap I can give for Hingano is that he played as 13 against CHS last Sunday like Apo did as 12 against CAS yesterday. That's strong praise for both boys.

The Queensland 13 Chris Feauai is going to be one of the stars of the Oz Schools tournament this year methinks. He was an Oz Schools 1st XV winger last year at the age of 15 and is playing just as well as 13 for BSHS this year by all accounts. Qld GPS have chosen him as an outside centre.

At no 8 the CHS boy gets the nod ahead of Holloway for mine.

At fullback I actually thought Clarke did enough to earn the spot ahead of Lenehan with Seage on the wing.

Yes, Havea is an outstanding ball runner and its no wonder that the Melbourne Storm offered him a 4 year deal, but as good as he is, the ISA attacking defence last Sunday forced him to crab across the park for most of the afternoon.

You could be right about Clark: as I indicated, imagine him in the GPS team yesterday with all the chances the GPS backs, Lenehan included, got in the second half. Let's see how he goes against ISA on Friday, but I've got the feeling that the CAS backs won't get a lot of good ball in that game either.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good work on the selections skullring.

I saw Cummins walking around as waterboy last Sunday at Rat Park and he looked OK; so wouldn't be too surprised to see him play.

R

rugbywhisperer

Looks like a half decent team from what we read on posts.
Was wondering chaps ifwhen the team is announced that some one liners could be attached so I backwoods folks might have a clue as to the players general ability.
We will reciprocate of course on Sunday evening.

P

PTB

Also the lack of rep experience for lolohea may harm him. considering he was nowhere in the under 16's and is only playing third grade colts at west harbour.
He also could no make NSW under 17's when a lot of star couldn't play because of school commitments
Connor and Kilingworth are a given for the loose positions with goodman on bench or starting in 2's

U

Upright

Selection

The nominated teams look like they reflect the boys who over the past two years have made up the majority of the rep teams, which is as you would expect. Some good talent in some spots (hooker, front row and centres, so someone will be disappointed) although IMO again not much at 10, which is a concern. Has young Brisby improved sufficiently to warrent the 10 spot as he was one of many found wanting in that position last year?

Can anyone comment on the selection process - is the First XV chosen then the Second XV then the next best 7 are the bench for the 2nds then the next 7 chosen as the bench for the firsts? OR are the best 22 chosen for the firsts and the next 22 for the seconds?

BTW who are the coaches this year and are they part of the selection committee?

C

catchpole

Ghost,

Your selections above appear very balanced and clearly based on recent form, with a realistic understanding of selection politics. Your teams will make an 'Form Guide" for tomorrow evening's games at KGS 1.

I haven't seen either CHS or ISA play this season so have no informed comment on any of those players, other than seeing some in the U.16's last year.

Great Work.

P

PTB

Tough call. He was nearly everyones man of the match in the CHS v CAS game. Isn't CAS considered hard opposition?

Some people have named injured players in their squads such as Steve Cummins CHS, Usaia O'Sullivan CAS and Dane Atkinson GPS. Are people saying that they will get picked anyway without playing in the selection trials?

Gillespie and Lolohea have played against each other before for many years and Gillespie has made all the teams above him considering gillespie was captain of western zone and in Sydney 16's over him. Gillespie was also in NTS scrum academy which shows he is a better scrummager.

W

Wrinkled Rat

Skull,

Like it, your teams tick quite a few boxes; there is balance in composition from the 4 dominant associations, recognition of those that were there last year and appreciation of the current cream at individual schools that have combinations which have been clicking since before Easter not just in the past month. Also some thought given down through the respective 2nd XV's (i.e. Josh Mc). Each of us will have an individual preference in a position or two (Goodman to partner Killingworth, for mine) but a nice springboard of talent.

My only comments would be that there are only two of your 46 listed players from last years NSW U17 team (Jordie Reid & Hugh Alexander) if we are looking at contemporary rep experience, I can think of two or three others. And there are also a couple of understudies like Josh in the respective 2nd XV’s where their 1st XV are walk up NSW inclusions

F

ftb

Gillespie and Lolohea have played against each other before for many years and Gillespie has made all the teams above him considering gillespie was captain of western zone and in Sydney 16's over him. Gillespie was also in NTS scrum academy which shows he is a better scrummager.

Lolohea has proved himself to be the NSW Schools LHP as his performance dramatically outweighed Gillespies. Gillepies lack of presence on the field showed in the GPS vs. CAS game as Robbie Mcneal outplayed him in all aspects of the game. Gillespie does not nearly deserve the NSW LHP position as much as Lolohea does and this was evident in the first representative games. Although Gillespie has represented at higher levels, this does not mean Gillespie deserves the spot. His performance was terrible in the CAS game.

P

PTB

Lolohea has proved himself to be the NSW Schools LHP as his performance dramatically outweighed Gillespies. Gillepies lack of presence on the field showed in the GPS vs. CAS game as Robbie Mcneal outplayed him in all aspects of the game. Gillespie does not nearly deserve the NSW LHP position as much as Lolohea does and this was evident in the first representative games. Although Gillespie has represented at higher levels, this does not mean Gillespie deserves the spot. His performance was terrible in the CAS game.

Surely ftb you have not had experience at a high level of rugby. Otherwise you would know that having that experience helps you have far superior knowledge for these big games. This is the case with Gillespie and Lolohea because we know QLD wil have a dominant scrum which would be similar to the England scrum, so this means you would want to have the best scrumager on the field and with Gillespie being coached by the best in the country, surely he is best suited. Another point is that once you hit that state level the speed of the game steps that level and Gilespie having the size to scrum and be a sufficient contributer in the running aspect and breakdown fasets of the game. All Lolohea can do is make a few good runs and then get beaten on the outside by a faster person. Therefore Gillespie would be far better suited to this pace and style of game.

W

Wrinkled Rat

The nominated teams look like they reflect the boys who over the past two years have made up the majority of the rep teams, which is as you would expect. Some good talent in some spots (hooker, front row and centres, so someone will be disappointed) although IMO again not much at 10, which is a concern. Has young Brisby improved sufficiently to warrent the 10 spot as he was one of many found wanting in that position last year?

Can anyone comment on the selection process - is the First XV chosen then the Second XV then the next best 7 are the bench for the 2nds then the next 7 chosen as the bench for the firsts? OR are the best 22 chosen for the firsts and the next 22 for the seconds?

BTW who are the coaches this year and are they part of the selection committee?

Upright,
Just posted a reply to Skull on reflecting recent rep footy, noting the lack of any real credit given to last year's NSW U17's team in the lists.
Brisby is a returning #10 who didn't get any significant game time last year at 10 for NSW and is assisted by having the same backline at Auggies as last year (minus roundtree plus paul). I don't see any marked improvement last year to this year, was good then, is now.
From memory and I know it looks odd, the hierarchy is 1st XV, then 2nd XV, then 2nd XV reserves, then 1st XV reserves

F

ftb

Surely ftb you have not had experience at a high level of rugby. Otherwise you would know that having that experience helps you have far superior knowledge for these big games. This is the case with Gillespie and Lolohea because we know QLD wil have a dominant scrum which would be similar to the England scrum, so this means you would want to have the best scrumager on the field and with Gillespie being coached by the best in the country, surely he is best suited. Another point is that once you hit that state level the speed of the game steps that level and Gilespie having the size to scrum and be a sufficient contributer in the running aspect and breakdown fasets of the game. All Lolohea can do is make a few good runs and then get beaten on the outside by a faster person. Therefore Gillespie would be far better suited to this pace and style of game.

Gillespie does not have the pace or the fitness to complete a solid 70 minutes at the NSW level rugby. I have had many years of top grade rugby and have been on the fridge of the waratahs so there is no need to comment on my lack of experience. Lolohea has all the experience, flare, fitness and size to be a top contender for the Australian Schools LHP. He is an exceptional rugby player all over the paddock and his running skills and scrummaging skiils far outweigh the likes of Gillespie. Gillespie has nop flare on the field and had a great lack of presence in the GPS v CAS game which was highlighted before. Lolohea deserves this NSW spot far more than Gillespie and this will be proved on satuirday when lolohea is picked in the NSW 1s LHP.

P

PTB

Gillespie does not have the pace or the fitness to complete a solid 70 minutes at the NSW level rugby. I have had many years of top grade rugby and have been on the fridge of the waratahs so there is no need to comment on my lack of experience. Lolohea has all the experience, flare, fitness and size to be a top contender for the Australian Schools LHP. He is an exceptional rugby player all over the paddock and his running skills and scrummaging skiils far outweigh the likes of Gillespie. Gillespie has nop flare on the field and had a great lack of presence in the GPS v CAS game which was highlighted before. Lolohea deserves this NSW spot far more than Gillespie and this will be proved on satuirday when lolohea is picked in the NSW 1s LHP.

Being 120kgs this is not healthy for any player in todays game. Lolohea's hieght in the scrum will diminish his ability to scrum considering you want a LHP that can get under his opposite number. We will see on Friday when they both come up against each other. All Lolohea has is his running game. He make no impact on the ruck or in defense therefore after he take 2 runs he will be too tired to take another and once Lolohea gets hit (like he will if his in NSW he wont want to get back up and take another) so he will go missing. I know this as i have played with both these people. Gillespie is far more deserving of this spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.