• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

baldingwingforward

It's always the case that people see things differently. They watch a game and wonder why somebody who saw the same game, and even more than one game, can have a different opinion about a certain player.

A GPS selector of some years ago told me the same thing: he was one of three selectors picking the GPS teams backrow.

Sad thing is Lee the above scenario doesn't happen anymore. The GPS have one selector from each school and they all watch "the whole" game. Ludicrous system as they have demonstrated over the last few seasons. They see the flashy things but it is often the unseen or hard graft that is the difference between good players and outstanding players. It takes a very educated rugby eye to be able to objectively watch a game and see the little things as well as the eye catching things that occur in open play.

Example - Its often hard to see who it was scrabbling on the floor to win a turnover at the ruck. Selector sees the ball get passed out to the winger who scores a try off counter attack ball. "Gee that winger was good - you should have seen the try he scored from a counter attack". Yes he scored a try but he only scored it because one of his mates busted his arse to win the turnover at the breakdown, and 9 times out of 10 a poor selector won't even see who created the turnover ball which led to the try!

Unfortunately the GPS selectors have consistently demonstrated that they are incapable of watching "the whole" game.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Example - Its often hard to see who it was scrabbling on the floor to win a turnover at the ruck. Selector sees the ball get passed out to the winger who scores a try off counter attack ball. "Gee that winger was good - you should have seen the try he scored from a counter attack". Yes he scored a try but he only scored it because one of his mates busted his arse to win the turnover at the breakdown, and 9 times out of 10 a poor selector won't even see who created the turnover ball which led to the try!

Totally agree. What's worse is when the player who makes one "flashy' break during a game is a forward who always seems missing when the real graft is on at the breakdown and yet he gets lauded for his "outstanding play" at the end of the game.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Or the 7 who gets spotted making one turnover and is instantly called the new George Smith.

B

baldingwingforward

Or the 7 who gets spotted making one turnover and is instantly called the new George Smith.

Yeah i covered that exact scenario a few pages back when i witnessed first hand selectors telling each other how good a backrower was when in reality all he had done was make one good turnover right in front of them. Even they couldn't miss that!! They did however miss all of the other $hit things that he did for the rest of the game!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah i covered that exact scenario a few pages back when i witnessed first hand selectors telling each other how good a backrower was when in reality all he had done was make one good turnover right in front of them. Even they couldn't miss that!! They did however miss all of the other $hit things that he did for the rest of the game!

I think that is why tournament play as selection trials is so important - 1 game at a time, and if the 1 play wonder can't string it together consistently in an environment that should see them playing with and against their genuine peers, then hopefully the one amazing action gets leveled back into the pack of their mediocrity.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Back to the debate over the selectors choices, surely there are better things to discuss about the NSW teams. This thread is slowly starting to lose it's appeal.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Back to the debate over the selectors choices, surely there are better things to discuss about the NSW teams. This thread is slowly starting to lose it's appeal.

I don't think there will be much debate/discussion about the two teams as most seem to agree that the right players have been picked.

In my opinion I believe the two sides are very strong

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I haven't seen the CHS, ISA or CAS captains but i think it will be hard to go past Wells as Captain. His leadership this year is peerless in my years of watching Schoolboy rugby.

U

Upright

Sad thing is Lee the above scenario doesn't happen anymore. The GPS have one selector from each school and they all watch "the whole" game. Ludicrous system as they have demonstrated over the last few seasons. They see the flashy things but it is often the unseen or hard graft that is the difference between good players and outstanding players. It takes a very educated rugby eye to be able to objectively watch a game and see the little things as well as the eye catching things that occur in open play.

Unfortunately the GPS selectors have consistently demonstrated that they are incapable of watching "the whole" game.
BWF you are correct - however let the boys play its not their fault that individuals who need to justify the $ spent on the rugby program of their school let their judgements be clouded. I only feel for the boys who deserve the opportunity but don't get it. Getting to play for your state is a neat little accolade - means nothing in the long run but is nice for the boy. I hope both the NSW's teams perform well.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sam Talakai has failed the fitness test and is out of NSW II team. His place has been taken by James Caterson from the NSW 1 bench and Rory McMullin has been bought up to the 1 bench to replace Caterson. Don't know who is being bought in for Rory

G

gilbertt

Sam Talakai has failed the fitness test and is out of NSW II team. His place has been taken by James Caterson from the NSW 1 bench and Rory McMullin has been bought up to the 1 bench to replace Caterson. Don't know who is being bought in for Rory

will definitely be interesting to see who they will bring up maybe one of the more unlucky guys
also this talakai thing has spat in the face of the selectors by choosing him when hes been out for the majority of the season and possibly basing the selection on name and reputation rather than form this season

W

waves

chris talakai, out of nsw 2s..sad to hear
not sure who this sam talakai is?

Really, when did he get ruled out ? I saw him a couple days ago at Waverley training he looked fine.

And yes Sam is his brother.

Does that see chris out for an extended rest again ?

Status
Not open for further replies.