• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
CAS team's selected a couple of very interesting selections with Afele and Orr from trinity being selected in 2nds

K

keenfan

Watched the CHS Vs CCC game this arvo with CHS convincing winners (7 or 8 tries to 0). CCC played OK in the first half but drifted away as the game went on. CCC backs hit hard but positionally not as sound as CHS. CCC lineout is a weakness but they fought to the end. CHS weren't convincing early and were lucky to score in the last play of the first half. Second half saw McIntyre and Hodge start to direct play wider and the 15's kick returning was good as they found more space to play in. The 9 likes to have a run also. Some of the big islander forwards started walking towards the end of each half and the CHS coaches will have to monitor that against GPS as they will run for 70 mins. CHS should benefit from the hitout and will beat CAS before playing St Augustines on the 17th.

CHS II's had a run against AICES and won easily.

CHS II's played some good rugby today. it didn't help that ol' AICES backline wasn't up to scratch. The AICES forwards, particularly the scrum played very well. Numbers 1,3,4 and 5 were solid but had little to work with.Basically CHS just simply went around the edges and scored easily. Hoping for an improved showing from the perennial toilers. They are well coached and passionate though.

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
No9,
Your view was that the CCC lineout was weak. At the CCC trials I thought that the linejumper Keiran Bonin was outstanding however the lifters (props) that they went for had a lot of trouble with their timing. Is that what you saw in the CCC lineout?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
No9,
You were probably talking about the CCC CHS opens?? My comments were about the U16s so ignore question, unless you saw the U16s game. I need to take 5 before hitting the key board.

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
No9,
You were probably talking about the CCC CHS opens?? My comments were about the U16s so ignore question, unless you saw the U16s game. I need to take 5 before hitting the key board.

Hey Hughie,

What was the result of the U16s trial games last weekend. Are you able to give a rundown on the games and the scores?

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Sorry whatever,

I was hoping to get some feedback also, from an adult. The only information I can get from the Illawarra CCC boys is, they lost (2 tries to 0??) they lost all their own scrum feed, the lineouts were a mess and they played like "sh!t" (they did not learn those words from me, must have been the CHS boys who taught them). They clearly didn't want to talk about it and from there on in all I could get were grunting noises, which is a normal 16 year old boys conversation with any adult. Hopefully these trials will give the CCC coaches insight into what has to be fixed up over the next couple of weeks (sounds like time on the scrumaging machine).

So if anybody was at the U16s trials can we have a rundown?

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Sorry whatever,

I was hoping to get some feedback also, from an adult. The only information I can get from the Illawarra CCC boys is, they lost (2 tries to 0??) they lost all their own scrum feed, the lineouts were a mess and they played like "sh!t" (they did not learn those words from me, must have been the CHS boys who taught them). They clearly didn't want to talk about it and from there on in all I could get were grunting noises, which is a normal 16 year old boys conversation with any adult. Hopefully these trials will give the CCC coaches insight into what has to be fixed up over the next couple of weeks (sounds like time on the scrumaging machine).

So if anybody was at the U16s trials can we have a rundown?

Mate,

If that's how the game went, then it is not a bad result, their defence must have held up. They have a classy backline, so if they can get their scrum and lineout to hold it's own they will go ok at the state titles. I believe they have trials against ACIES and country on June 17.

Regards,

whatever

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was at the CCC vs CHS 1 game. I was rather disappointed with the CCC team performance. They looked shell shocked, nervous and some of them lost! The coach was doing just that : coaching the fullback while the game was being played - telling him when to move up with the play and when to drop back. Trent winterstein was injured apparently at the camp. No one from the CCC team stood out for me.
The CHS won well but most of the trys were from missed tackles at the line. Nothing flash really. But I was impressed with No 10 McIntyre I think. He was good and also the number 1 Eddy? Powerful run for a big prop on more than one occasion.
Hopefully CCC can get it 2gether for the next game. CHS are aforce to be reckoned with and they certainly played better rugby on the day.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
NSWCHS U/16's Rugby Train On Squad
Joey Fittock Alstonville HS
Ben Crerar NBSC - Balgowlah Boys Campus
Abu Taleb Blakehurst HS
Lapana Vitale BWSC- Woy Woy Campus
Cruze Leach Endeavour Sports HS
Harry Barsdell Endeavour Sports HS
Sydney Malifa Endeavour Sports HS
Luciano Leluia Endeavour Sports HS
Ed Craig Epping Boys HS O
Izack Rodda Evans River HS
Aaron Gutgutuwai The Hills Sports HS
Shaun Fitzgerald The Hills Sports HS
Reece Hewat Illawarra Sports HS
Bevan French Inverell HS
William Finley Lisarow HS
Rohan Kopp Peak Hill HS
Andrew Faimafili-Sua Prairiewood HS
Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern HS
Raui Poaru Westfields Sports HS
Pal Uta Uta Westfields Sports HS

Jordan Lotoaniu Bass HS
Mitchell Thomas NBSC - Balgowlah Boys Campus
Jack Cohen Blakehurst HS
Telenote Moataane Elderslie HS
Evander Filemu Endeavour Sports HS
Luke Mrakovcic Endeavour Sports HS
Tyla Tamou Endeavour Sports HS
Daniel Cosgrove Epping Boys HS
Oliver Green Epping Boys HS
Cleveland McGhie Figtree HS
Regan Rona The Hills Sports HS
Tommy Sawden Illawarra Sports HS
Jacob Tupola Ingleburn HS
Mitchell Thomas Killarney Heights HS
Ben Horton Nowra HS
Luke Milham NBSC - Pittwater Campus
Ben Vaituutuu Prairiewood HS
Sione Afu Wadalba CS
Maumau Monu Westfields Sports HS
Jacob Storey Woolooware HS

So, is there a final squad selected as yet??

no9

Ted Fahey (11)
CHS rugby is very Jekyll and Hyde at times. They have size in the pack and skill in the backs but for some reason consistency of performance is hard to master. On sunday against CCC they played with precision and direction and were very impressive winners on the day. Unfortunately the other CHS turned up today, poor discipline, pushed passes, lazy defence and poor ball chasing all contributed to a dissapointing loss. I mentioned after the CCC game that some players were walking prior to half time and it was evident again today along with ill disciplined actions resulting in 2 yellows and 1 red card. You don't win these games with that many players missing and you don't help your selection cause by showing you can't keep cool under pressure. The CHS No9 also had a bad day at the office, getting caught regularly in possession and giving poor service to McIntyre. This was certainly not McIntyres finest hour but his halves partner didn't help him. There were few CHS players who pushed their cause today (some probably went backwards) but the No15 showed a willinness to attack and has been allusive in both matches played so far.

CAS were very smart in the way they played CHS through a pattern of direct and structured forward play before going wider. This is still a team with weaknesses though. For all his attacking capability, Clarke at No10 is a defensive liability. You couldn't take that defence into a game against QLD and think they wouldn't exploit it and if CHS had attacked that channel more they may of had more success. The CAS lineout was solid at 6 but the scrum was under pressure at times. The loosehead is not a very large body and will be under pressure to keep Orr out after his efforts in the II's and the attack comes mainly from the No 15.

Wilson and Patterson were probably CAS's best performers with a mention to Jenkins who is a good organiser with a solid pass and box kick but he doesn't threaten the defence unfortunately. There were a couple of players in the II's who showed a bit today with Vevers a standout to me. Kitchen, Afele, Orr and Moala will also keep those above them honest.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good post no.9. Some of this stuff repeats yours but I had it done over time so I will let it stand.

I mentioned after the CCC game that some players were walking prior to half time and it was evident again today along with ill disciplined actions resulting in 2 yellows and 1 red card.
I didn't see the 2nd yellow card but I could have missed one yakking. The poor discipline of the two carded lads I noticed, both from Sports High Schools, spoilt the game, but CAS always had it in hand.

The 1st fellow even gave the touchie who reported him a chirp as he was walking to the bin. The 2nd chap got a red card for back chat. I'd never seen that at any level. There must have been some purple prose in the chat.

The field was slippery but it was in surprisingly good condition for the weather Sydney has had recently.

It's hard to believe that CHS had already had a game because sometimes they looked like Browns cows. They had some good individuals and any number of players who could make bruising runs, such as 3. Sau, 8. Hempopo and especially 1. Faigata'a, but there was no coordinated game plan as no.9 indicated. 5. Manukeu was one of their best.

The CHS No9 also had a bad day at the office, getting caught regularly in possession and giving poor service to McIntyre. This was certainly not McIntyres finest hour but his halves partner didn't help him.
Indeed, the CHS backs didn't get a fair shake. I was told that the scrummie was a replacement and with the forwards playing individually and not on the front foot a lot it was a long day for Oz Schools 10. McIntyre, who I was told was the best player of the CHS tournament. You could see the class though and the hard tackling.

The outside backs didn't get a lot of ball but towards the end the quickies 14. Brown and 15. Porch got some opportunities and made long gains.

The CAS players looked like better footie players on the average and better coached but their lineout will need a bit of work.

The [CAS] loosehead is not a very large body and will be under pressure to keep Orr out after his efforts in the II's
Unfortunately Pederson got a serious knee injury right at the end of the game and I doubt that he will be playing any rugby for a while so Orr will walk in. [Incidentally THP Satui did not play.]

10. Clark threw several lovely Larkham type passes but too often there was nobody there to catch them; no kidding. And many of the bruising CHS ball runners mentioned above ran right through his area. He is fast for a flyhalf though and got to a few trouble spots in cover.

My main point of interest in CAS was watching Paterson and Clunies-Ross. Paterson got the plum 15 spot made every post a winner but he wasn't tested a lot as a custodian. 14. HCR didn't get much ball, in fact he dished it out a lot from near touch infield for Paterson to shine.

Such are trials, but on that one showing Paterson must be a chance for a state spot. A few games to go though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There were a couple of players in the II's who showed a bit today with Vevers a standout to me. Kitchen, Afele, Orr and Moala will also keep those above them honest.

Good calls, every one. I couldn't believe that 10. Vevers, who had a good all round game, was taken off early because I thought he was the MOTM up to that point. But he got another run in the 2nd half and was just as good.

The nuggety 8. Moala was always hard to stop and they couldn't once when he crashed over to score.

CHS IIs had some good players too. I thought their 10. Parkinson was a good organiser and 13. Boland was a dangerous field runner. My favourite though was reserve front rower Tangi, a big bopper who muscled his way over for a try.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
I didn't see the 2nd yellow card but I could have missed one yakking. The poor discipline of the two carded lads I noticed, both from Sports High Schools, spoilt the game, but CAS always had it in hand.

The 1st fellow even gave the touchie who reported him a chirp as he was walking to the bin. The 2nd chap got a red card for back chat. I'd never seen that at any level. There must have been some purple prose in the chat.
LG, What the ramifications to these boys that get carded? It sounds from a couple of phone calls that there were more lucky to stay. What is going on at the School level(their own school)? to allow this to occur?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks backrowmum - one of the medicos gave me the wrong info.

LG, What the ramifications to these boys that get carded? It sounds from a couple of phone calls that there were more lucky to stay. What is going on at the School level(their own school)? to allow this to occur?

I don't know the consequences of it but I remember that Eddie Quirk got red carded in the Oz Schools tournament in Canberra a few years back now and he played in the next match. [And from his first action in that 2nd game he got penalised for a stiff arm tackle and stayed on the park.]

The circumstances around the cardings yesterday beggared belief. Most of the lads from Sports High Schools are well behaved on the field but the two I noticed (nobody name them please) let themselves and their schools down. The first fellow was binned for a late tackle; anybody can do that but his chirp to the touchie walking to the bin was reprehensible. The 2nd fellow I noticed must have given the ref a spray to be given a red card for back chat. Apparently there was a 3rd card when I was paying a visit somewhere.

I was sitting next to, and talking to RWC and 3N referee Peter Marshall, and we were both bemused by one of the CHS officials patting one of the binned lads on the back as he walked off the field. It was probably just a "learn from your mistake" pat but it wasn't a good look.

no9

Ted Fahey (11)

Such are trials, but on that one showing Paterson must be a chance for a state spot. A few games to go though.

First card was for tackling a player in the air at a kick off after CAS 2nd try. Ref's are no longer tolerating taunts of cheating or abuse and will act accordingly with binnings or send offs depending on what and how it is said. St Pats had a player binned against Oakhill for this reason last week. Red cards attract an automatic 1 match ban as far as I'm aware but am not sure if it can be gotten rid of at another level school game or if the player will miss the ISA match.

I mentioned the players in the II's game as all players at the trials should be in contention for NSW positions. (Sorry Lee) but the players should not be disadvantaged over the inadequecies of the different associations selection policies and procedures by being ignored due to not making the I's team. I hope the NSW selectors are responsible enough to seek out the most technically correct players in their positions and not be blinded by others opinions and rankings or worse, the wow factor.

On another note, I was unfortunate in sitting near the most deluded and whingeing set of Northern side supporters (1 in particular) I've ever encountered at a school game, and there have been many. According to this lot the CHS brutes were barbarians charged with assaulting their offspring while the white knights in red jumpers were pure of heart and could do no wrong. Everyone has the right to support their team but please learn the rules of the game before confirming your ignorance to the crowd with farcical complaints to the referee. A high tackle is one that is at or above shoulder height, not at chest level as complained about and yes it is a knock on when the ball is propelled forward off the halfbacks hands (these were the silliest complaints but there were many others).

Wannabe Selector

Frank Nicholson (4)
no.9

You know I have been subject to sometimes having my opinions off the field when my kids were playing rep footy and since then I have toned down now that I am up to my 2nd son in representative footy. But I would agree with your comments as to some parents ignorance especially when the parents know more than coaching a rep team and knowing who should play in it.!!!!!!!!!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah there were some ugly parents there and I'm not talking about their looks.

One even bitched about their own side not dishing the ball out enough to his son.

no.9 - agree with the difficulty of lads in lesser rep sides, or in the Twos when many folks would have them in the Ones, in getting into a state side - or even before that, trying to get recognised when always playing for a lesser school against strong schools .

The key is to have good selectors and a good selection process including state selectors being independent from the others - and also astute enough to be able to judge a lad who is in the Twos and leapfrog him over players in the Ones.

I know that you have a point with the ISA selections but I will quote something in that thread that mirrors my thinking.

Bill McLean (32)
... ...

The 1st fellow even gave the touchie who reported him a chirp as he was walking to the bin. The 2nd chap got a red card for back chat. I'd never seen that at any level... ...

Lee,

You quite correctly state that they were from Sports High Schools, moreover the same lads do also play league! Such conduct is rife in the dark code, and with respect to those officiating league, it is like water of a duck's back! It is ignored and let go to quite honest!

Status
Not open for further replies.