• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Parking is going to be a real problem around there.

Get there early is the best advice.

You may be driving around for a while looking for a park and then walking for a bit once you find one.
The long walk shouldn't be an issue..you will be able to get a skinny latte on the way, and then slip into the hyperbaric chamber for a freshen up before the game...you will be unstoppable....

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I've got 1.30 and 2.45. Anyone know which times are correct?

I took my times off the CAS website. Seriously hard to find any info. NSW schools rugby website hasn't been updated; still has 2013 info as the leading news.

In any case, only a 15 min difference so not a major issue.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I
Parking is going to be a real problem around there.

Get there early is the best advice.

You may be driving around for a while looking for a park and then walking for a bit once you find one.

I was planning on being lazy and driving there. Might just walk now.

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
NSWSRU U16 & U18 Selection Trials
NSWSRU U16 & U18 Trials @ Cranbrook
Thursday 5 June ‘14
CAS II V CHS II 1PM
CAS I V CHS I 2.30PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.1
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
CHS II V CNTY 12.15PM
ISA II V CCC 1.30PM
ISA I V CHS I 2.45PM

NSWSRU U16 Trials @ Pittwater Rugby Park No.2
Sunday, 15 June ‘14
AICES U16 V CCC U16 11AM
CNTY U16 V AICES U16 11.30AM
CCC U16 V CNTY U16 12 NOON
ISA U16 V CHS U16 12.30PM
ISA U16 V CHS U16 1PM

NSWSRU U18 Trials @ The Scots College
Tuesday, 17 June ‘14
GPS (White) v GPS (Blue) @ 12.45pm
GPS 2 V CAS 2 @ 2pm
GPS 1 V CAS 1 @ 3.15pm

Friday 20th June - Curagul Field, North Turramurra
CAS II v Country 9:00am
ISA II v GPS (Blue) 10.15am
CCC v GPS (White) 11.30pm
CAS I v ISA I 12:45pm
CHS II v GPS II 2.00pm
CHS I v GPS I 3.15pm

NSWSRU 16s Championships & Selection Trials
Saturday 21st June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 1
PRES XV A v PRES XV B 9:30am
GAME 2
ISA v Country 10:20am
GAME 3
CAS v AICES 11:10am
GAME 4
CHS v CCC Noon

Sunday 22nd June – Curagul Field, North Turramurra
GAME 5
Winner Game1 v Winner Game 2 9.00pm
GAME 6
Loser Game 1 v Loser Game 2 9.50pm
GAME 7
Winner Game 3 v Winner Game 4 10.40pm
GAME 8
Loser Game 3 v Loser Game 4 11.30pm
CUP FINAL
Loser Game 6 v Loser Game 8 12.30pm
BOWL FINAL
Winner Game 6 v Winner Game 8 1.30pm
PLATE FINAL
Loser Game 5 v Loser Game 7 2.30pm
SHIELD FINAL
Winner Game 5 v Winner Game 7 3.30pm

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Seems a more balanced U16 draw this year that should see some cracking games.

Hope the weather holds.

Good to see the NSW Schools RU Website has been updated.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
[2014 CAS 1st XV (version 2)
1. Tom HILL (C)
2. James WIDDERS-LEECE (K)
3. Alexander RATHIE (C)
4. Hugh SUMMERHAYES (C)
5. Lachlan SWINTON (K)
6. Nick BURKETT (B)
7. Jake PIERCE (K)
8. Nick MAKAS (C)
9. Stephen KIRKBY (B)
10. David SMERDON (B)
11. Zac EDELSTEIN (C)
12. Joe WILLIAMS (K)
13. Nick CARROLL (B) Injury withdrawal = Connor WATSON (K)
14. Sean CAMPBELL (B) Injury withdrawal = Lucas PRICE (K)
15. Sam RENTON (C)

Coaches
Mr T GLASSIE (K)
Mr H ENGELE (T)

Manager
Mr B ROBINSON (B)

2014 CAS 2nd XV
1. Harry McLENNAN (T)
2. Charlie BANKS (C)
3. Austin BLACK (K)
4. Will STENMARK (C)
5. Langton McCOMBE (C)
6. George CORIAS (T)
7. Tom MAHONY (C)
8. Brett VAN ZYL (K)
9. Roy HARRISON (C)
10. James DAINTON (A)
11. David BARBATI (T) Injury Withdrawal = Rihann BARKELY-BROWN (T)
12. Henry PATTERSON (W)
13. Jordan BRACEWELL (W) (for Nick CARROLL (C) promoted to 1st XV)
14. Deon NAVAYAN (W) ( for Sean CAMPBELL (B) promoted to 1st XV)
15. Seb FIELD (K)

Reserves:
16. Rob LACINSKI (K)
17. Anthony NGUYEN (T)
18. Edward COOK (T)
19. Justin COOPER (W)
20. Tim PEARSON (B)
21. Angus McNIVEN (C)
22. Dew NUTALL ( W )
23. Tom WILSON ( C )

Coaches
Mr G MUNDAY (A)
Mr J BURR (A)

Physio
Mrs N VEVERKA

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
Discovered today that I'd booked in meetings for tomorrow from 2 to 3.30pm and then from 5pm. Not happy now. Was quite looking forward to tomorrow.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CHS v CHS games on today.

Lots of blue stuff shown on the BOM Rain Radar in and around Sydney.

Looks like a day that the Piggies dream of, with the Princesses worried about their hair getting messed up and jumpers getting dirty.

The wet weather may play into CHS hands if they execute a simple forward oriented field position gameplan.

Forget about finding a parking spot and the long walk to the oval, the question of the day is: did you bring some wet weather spectating equipment?

You wouldn't want to end up having to wrap yourself up in a few old towels from the car boot in an attempt to stay warm.

Others have tried this previously and while it may be warm, it isn't a pretty sight.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stuck in the Gulag, and can't make it. Hoping that another of our usual correspondents will be able to provide updates.

@Sideline Eye or @Monty Python both seem to have reliable sources and one or other can usually be relied upon to post the scores and a quick match summary.

Cranbrook based G&GR's may also be fairly quick to post updates and scores.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Two good games. The score in 2s was a draw: CHS 26 - CAS 26. I can't comment on the game as I only saw the last few minutes.

The I's was a match of two halves. CAS came out very structured and looked well organised, and were by far the better side to start with. It looked for a while like it might have been a bit of a runaway at half time when the score was (I think) CAS 21-CHS 5. However, the CHS boys pulled up their socks and had a much better second half. They got a bit of verve going for a while and came back to a more respectable full time score of CAS 28 - CHS 19.

As Mr Jarse has commented earlier, the CHS boys often take a while to get it together as a team, and perhaps that was the problem today. It was also a bit greasy (didn't rain during the match, but the ground was wet from the morning rain) and there was a lot of dropped ball, but CHS seemed to fumble a bit more than CAS. The CHS backs really need some more work together as the back line really looked a little raggle-taggle compared to the CAS boys. Just basics - like passes falling short of the mark, taking a look and fumbling the catch, kicking a bit aimlessly neither to touch nor over their heads, etc.

The forwards matched it up pretty well and I think the CHS pack had it over CAS. They each won all their own scrums, but the CHS jumpers/lifters stole two CAS lineouts against the throw. Some great pilfering by the CHS forwards at crucial times in the match. They were camped on the CAS line for a good 15-20 minutes in the second half, but couldn't quite get the last pass off a number of times to get over the line. Great defensive effort from CAS.

The man of the match for each team (as voted by the opposition team/coaches) was #8 Nick Makas (Cranbrook) for CAS and #2 and captain Ed Craig (Epping Boys HS) for CHS. Both players worthy recipients for their performance on the day.

Rusty Buckets

Frank Row (1)
The CHS v CAS fixture at Cranbrook is a wonderful example of what schoolboy rugby is about. The dinner Wednesday evening brings the teams together and the games were played in good spirit. Considering the rain, the rugby played was of a high standard. Congratulations to both school associations.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hugh, and other sage forum lurkers, what's the rationale behind the scheduling of the trial match series between the school associations, in the lead up to NSW I, NSW II and Combined States team selections?

It would seem at first appearance that they are somehow weighted towards the best matches at the end of each day's play, and as the trials series progresses. Eg, is it fair to say that the GPS I v CHS I match on Friday next week is supposed to be the top two teams competing in a 'pseudo final' of the trials series?

If so, is it time to give CAS or ISA a go at that slot, and relegate CHS I to a 'lower level' final v CCC or ACIES, for example, or ISA or CAS depending on who they were swapped with? Last year CHS was pretty much whomped by GPS I in the backs, though the forwards held their ground.

Thoughts?

Question repeated on the NSWCHS thread

Moved from Aust Schools 2014 (wrong thread).

Jasdec

Ted Fahey (11)
Has the country team been announced yet? I know the trials were on this weekend

NSW COUNTRY SCHOOLS OPEN: Tom Newman, Lachlan Mack, Hayden Shepherd, Ben Caskey (New England), Angus McTavish, Ryan Prentice, Sam Hunt, Angus Thompson, Ryan Witherdin, Brayden Grehan, Jackson Anshaw (Central North), Jayson Hovi, Tim Farmer, Joshua Carson, Daniel Malloy, Jock Barry, Charlie Fielder (Hunter), Lachie Cummins, Tom Blanch, Joel Cooper, Arek Werstak, Joe Dawson (Mid North Coast). Manager: Jim Pennington, Coach: Alan Jones, Assistant Coach Jason Lincoln

Status
Not open for further replies.