• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools - Trial Games and Selections 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Taxi Driver

Allen Oxlade (6)
Just because Grammar is in a 3rd competition, does not mean they don't have individual players who are up to par with other GPS 1st teams

They would need to be playing Colts or Club rugby as the Thirds comp is just not as strong and Grammar has yet to play Joeys, Scots, Riverview, Kings.

Accept that the 1sts, and the very best of GPS 1sts is just a little stronger than the 3rds comp

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Let's settle down a little.

The Grammar boys may be playing in a 3rd's competition, but the boys are in the 1st XV for their school and it is not as if they have a choice as to where their school team plays.

Some of the Grammar boys names have appeared in the Colts competition lists earlier in the season and have featured in previous JGC and SJRU rep squads. Other selectors apart from the AAGPS selectors have reckoned that these boys have what it takes and deserve to be given a go.

Jake McIntyre, one of the stand out players in the Aust U20's at the Jnr World Cup, completed his education at Alstonville High School. A non-rugby powerhouse on the far north coast of NSW. Diamonds can exist in lower level competitions.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
They would need to be playing Colts or Club rugby as the Thirds comp is just not as strong and Grammar has yet to play Joeys, Scots, Riverview, Kings.

Accept that the 1sts, and the very best of GPS 1sts is just a little stronger than the 3rds comp

Ignorance is bliss - they have played riverview, in a trial

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)

Yes, that is clearly the case, and I don't think anyone would dispute it.

But - are you saying there is no possibility that any boy playing in Grammar's 1st XV side, which is playing in the 3rd grade comp, couldn't possibly be - or should not be - selected in a GPS rep side?

Have a look at your comments, and tell me that's what you are saying ?!!
Surely not.

Remember, a side is only as good as it's weakest link, and even the best players can't lift an entire side to greater things on their own.

If you consider the converse situation, you'd be suggesting that nobody in Scot's 1st XV could be playing at 3rd grade standard. While not likely, it's certainly a possibility on any given day. We're talking about possibilities and exceptions to the rule. This is clearly what we're talking about in relation to the Grammar boys.

(Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of these boys and have seen none of the GPS sides play this season - I'm just speaking from common sense...)

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
The revised GPS teams for Friday's fixtures have been posted on the AAGPS website.

The only changes that I can detect from the GPS 1s & 2s that took the field today are:

Porter is out of the 1s (must be injured?)
Loga-Tarogi is up from fullback of the 2s to fill Porter's place on the L wing
Prindiville is up from Blue to the R wing for the 2s
Hurley goes from R wing in the 2s to fullback

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
CAS 1st XV ( vs AAGPS version)

1. Tom HILL (C)
2. James WIDDERS-LEECE (K)
3. Austin BLACK (K)
4. Hugh SUMMERHAYES (C)
5. Lachlan SWINTON (K)
6. Nick BURKETT (B)
7. Jake PIERCE (K)
8. Nick MAKAS (C)
9. Roy HARRISON (C)
10. David SMERDON (B)
11. Zac EDELSTEIN (C)
12. Joe WILLIAMS (K)
13. Connor WATSON (K)
14. Lucas PRICE (K)
15. Sam RENTON (C)

Coaches
Mr T GLASSIE (K)
Mr H ENGELE (T)

Manager
Mr B ROBINSON (B)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AAGPS teams for games on Tuesday 17 June (vs CAS).
A couple of changes to the AAGPS Blue and White teams. No changes to the 1st XV and 2nd XV teams at post #62.

AAGPS White 2014 (vs AAGPS Blue)
1. J. Bowditch (I)
2. T. Horton (J)
3. L. Muir (E)
4. J. Preece (E)
5. T. Rudolf (S)
6. H. Taylor (K)
7. C. Clifford (N)
8. J. Digby (G)
9. H. Emery (E)
10. J. Mackie (G)
11. M. Dowsett (E)
12. N. Stubbs (K)
13. T. McHutcheon (J)
14. M. Hendrie (S)
15. B. Tan (G)

AAGPS Blue 2014(vs AAGPS White)
1. A. Hall (K)
2. J. Burke (K)
3. J. Lee (K)
4. K. Wingti (J)
5. N. Brown (K)
6. J. Doyle (E)
7. T. Deer (S)
8. D. Ballantyne (K)
9. L. Condon (I)
10. A. Sheldon (G)
11. J. Prindiville (S)
12. C. King (E)
13. H. Kemball (E)
14. T. McBryde (I)
15. W. Ball (N)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AAGPS 1st XV 2014 (V CHS)
1. M. Laimani (N)
2. M. Serhon (N)
3. V. Fifita (N)
4. R. McCauley (S)
5. B. Petterson (I)
6. M. Girdler (S)
7. C. Menzies (I)
8. A. Crichton (S)
9. T. Strang (S)
10. J. McGregor (I)
11. S. Tarogi (N)
12. D. England (S)
13. H. Hutchinson (I)
14. T. Wright (J)
15. B. Freeman (I)

AAGPS 2nd XV 2014 (vs CHS 2)
1. H. Fotukava (I)
2. E. Pritchard (I)
3. J. Sedgman (S)
4. N. Gittoes (J)
5. T. Piroddi (N)
6. J. Hayson (I)
7. J. Woodhill (E)
8. C. Smith (S)
9. N. Duffy (J)
10. C. O’Shea (J)
11. S. Kennewell (N)
12. L. Latinipulu (N)
13. W. McDonnell (J)
14. J. Prindiville (S)
15. C. Hurley (I)

AAGPS White
No change to team for game vs AAGPS Blue

AAGPS Blue 2014 (vs ISA 2)
1. A. Hall (K)
2. J. Burke (K)
3. J. Lee (K)
4. K. Wingti (J)
5. N. Brown (K)
6. J. Doyle (E)
7. T. Deer (S)
8. D. Ballantyne (K)
9. L. Condon (I)
10. A. Sheldon (G)
11. L. Eruini-Bennett (N)
12. C. King (E)
13. H. Kemball (E)
14. T. McBryde (I)
15. W. Ball (N)

Reserves:
O. Stump (E)
M. Maloney (G)
C. Allison (K)
H. Wrench (E)
M. Long (N)

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Only through injury, 10 in blue was originally 12 in white.

It doesn't matter that he was selected because someone else was injured. He now has an opportunity to show his ability and hopefully he will take it.

Unfortunately, it can take just one selector or coach to block a pathway.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Probably timely to trot these wise words out:
<snip>. If you have heard Eric Rush the former all black speak, he tells a great story about when he was growing up he always trialled but never got picked. His father would always say " don't worry because its just one blokes opinion, maybe the next guy will think differently". When he excitedly phoned his father to tell him he had been selected for the all blacks, his father congratulated him, but reminded him "it's just one blokes opinion, don't get a big head, because the next bloke may not like you." <snip>.

Good luck to all the boys playing on Friday.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It doesn't matter that he was selected because someone else was injured. He now has an opportunity to show his ability and hopefully he will take it.

Unfortunately, it can take just one selector or coach to block a pathway.

He was moved because someone else was injured.
Two things you appreciate when you see the teams selected, changed when kids don't pass the fitness test and then play, with more losses for injury, kids stepping in etc etc are not only the wise words of Eric Rush's old man ringing true but the fickle whim of the injury gods at play with every run, ruck and maul - and not just your own injuries but those key players in your team that affect the smooth running of the team and your own ability to perform.
It's only just short of a lottery.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SCRIBES WANTED

Who is going along to Friday's festival of Rugby?

At this time of the year, things get rather busy for the glue that holds G&GR Schoolboy Forum together, @Lee Grant.

Not only is there regular Schoolboy Footy going on, the Under 20's Jnr RWC is in full swing in NZ, and there is an Test Match in Sydney this weekend. To cap it all off, perennial battlers in Shute Shield, the Rats, are doing well. This blue moon phenomena is distracting @Lee Grant from his usual duties.

G&GR exists for the users and is produced by the users. The staff of G&GR get zip. What little sponsors product there is ( and I might add that Vale Ale is a mighty fine brew, and you should try and get your hands on some) gets consumed by @Gagger with none heading towards the Northern Beaches hideaway of G&GR's own @Lee Grant.

A job shared is a job halved, or something like that. There are 6 games of footy to write up.

Are there any volunteers out there in Gaggerland that are prepared to put 200 words or so together on a game to help Uncle Lee out with the blog report for the day?

You just need to record the points scorers, and along with a sentence or two on how the game unfolded and you are almost there. Bonus points for providing a summary of stand out players, and identifying the key moment/s of the match.

If you are unable to do that, then any good action photographs of the day would be welcome.

Who is up for the challenge?

Send a "conversation" to @Lee Grant or myself (using the inbox button next to your name on the top right of your screen) to volunteer your services. They will be welcomed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Re-post to help the Keyboard Selectors:

The boys who played at National Championships last year for NSW or Combined States must be the odds on favourites for a guernsey in this years NSW Team, if they retain form and remain uninjured. I've moved a couple to slightly different positions to their 2013 jumpers.

Possible 2014 NSW I
1. Hosea FOTUKAVA St Ignatius College, NSW I
2. Matt SERHON Newington, NSW I bench
3. Vunipola FIFITA Newington, NSW II, Aust Schoolboy
4. Andrew VATUVEI Sarah Redfern High, NSW II Bench
6. John WALKER St Augustines College, NSW II
7. James LOUGH St Augustines College, NSW I bench
8. Angus CRICHTON The Scots College, NSW I, Aust A Schoolboy
9. Stephen KIRKBY Barker, NSW II Bench
13. Henry HUTCHINSON St Ignatius College, NSW II, Aust Schoolboy
14.Simon KENNEWELL Newington College, Combined States

NSW II
1. Peter IVIC Hunter SHS, Combined States
2. Ed CRAIG Epping BHS, Combined States
3. Francis BROWN McKillop College Warnervale, NSW II Bench, Aust A Schoolboy Bench
6. Hugh SUMMERHAYES, Cranbrook, Shadow NSW

17. James PARTRIDGE, Oakhill, Shadow NSW

Those listed above are solely the players who were at 2013 Nationals (or nominated as shadow). Without seeing them, or any of their opponents, play this year, the listing above is just an exercise in throwing some names on the table and rearringing them into some form of order.

Anyone care to fill in the gaps, or to have a go themselves if they feel that incumbents will get no benefit from their previous selection?

Status
Not open for further replies.