• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Usually about this time, I fire up the old hobby horse about "you know what" as NSW Schools and Sydney JRU and NSW Country JRU indulge in their annual competition to see who can select the best team to represent them from the same pool of boys.

With the recent announcement by the ARU that there will be no National Under 16 Tournament this year, this annual festival of selectorial wheeling and dealing will not take place. Consequently readers will miss out on reading some quality rants from me.

NSW JRU will still be running their Junior State Championships over the June Long Weekend, and there is already some good banter on that thread. The NSW JRU and its affiliates seem to be on a "steady as she goes" path following the cancellation of the National Under 16's and the introduction of the Junior Gold Cup Programme and Tournament. Sydney JRU will play Country JRU at some future date, after there will be tears and tantrums over the selection of Zone teams for Sydney JRU Regional tournament, the announcement of the SJRU Teams in U14 - U17's, and the NSW JRU rep teams that will take on the ACT JRU age group teams, and anyone else that can be arranged.

NSW Schools RU also seem to be also on a "steady as she goes" path judging on what is appearing on the various School association websites. The dates and format appears to be identical as it was last year (with an adjustment to realign the Days of the Week to the relevant 2014 date).
I reckon that the NSW RU will even go as far as selecting a NSW U16 Merit Team, even though there will not be any tournament for that team to participate in.

As far as I can gather the following dates are important for the Under 16 Championships and trials:
June 1: 4 way trial (CHS U16 A vs CCC U16 v CHS U16 B v AICES U16) at venue TBA [Last year Foreshaw Park, Sylvania Waters]

June 15 @ Pittwater Rugby Park
ISA U16 v CCC U16 v CHS U16 (3 way trial)
AICES U16 v Country U16 v CCC U16 (3 way trial)??

NSWSRU U16 CHAMPIONSHIPS
June 21/22 @ Knox Grammar Saturday/Sunday
Participants:
GPS A will masquarade as Presidents XV A
GPS B will masquarade as Presidents XV B
CAS, NSW Country Schools, ISA, AICES, CHS and CCC will round out the numbers to make 2 pools of 4.

Likely Pool Groupings (alphabetic order):
Pool A
AAGPS A, AICES, ISA and NSW Country Schools

Pool B
AAGPS B, CAS, CCC, and CHS,

2 Pool games on Saturday
Sunday games:
Final Pool game &:
Winner Pool A v Winner Pool B
Runner Up Pool A v Runner Up Pool B
etc

Team Selections
AICES have announced their team.

CAS will be having a North of the Harbour vs South of the Harbour Trial before announcing their team.

ISA have trials this week. Expect the team to be announced next week.

AAGPS will do what they damn well want to do, but typically there will be a trial on a Sunday about a
fortnight before the tournament, with the two teams announced on the day.

CHS carnival is early next week in Newcastle. Hope thay have better weather than last years water polo tournament at Coffs Harbour. They will announce two teams and whittle them down to a final team after 1 June trial games.

CCC trials are Monday week at TG Milner, with their team to be announced on Tuesday 27 May.

NSW Country Schools have announced that this year will be the final year of the NSW Country Schools
championships after 38 years. The association was established in 1977 specifically to address the lack of opportunity for regionally based players to gain access to NSW Schools representative teams.
Opportunities now exist for regional boys to put themselves in front of the selectors via AICES, ISA,
CCC and CHS representative teams. The final NSW Country Schools Champs will be held at TAS on 7/8 June, with their rep team to be announced shortly afterwards.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AICES U16 Team
http://www.aices.com.au/

AICES 16yrs Carnival / Trials were held on Monday 12th May @ Hills Grammar School from 9.00am.
For 2014 only AICES are only running a 16yrs representative team.

AICES 16yrs Rugby Team 2014 ( sorted by school)
Mitchell KENNY, Arndell AC
Isaac JACOB FORD, Belmont CC
Jared PURCEL, Bethel CS
Bill BUSTER, Calrossy
Lachlan BRADFORD, Hunter Valley GS
Milan VAN NIEKERK, Hunter Valley GS
Niklaas GAAL, Hunter Valley GS
Tom UNDERWOOD, Hunter Valley GS
Michael REWITT, Newcastle GS
Kaine ROBINSON, Northholm GS
Lachlan BARNES, Nowra AC
Jack DONKIN, Pacific Hills CS
Jake LAMPRILL, Pacific Hills CS
Aron PETERS, Parkes Christian Sch
Harrison STEIN, Reddam House
Iakopo ESERA, Richard Johnson AS
Richmond TIMA, Richard Johnson AS
David ANGELOZZI, St Philip's N
Damien VAUGHN, Sth Highlands CS
Brad RICHARDSON, William Clarke
Matthew DUNK, Wollondilly AC
Philip KERIN, Wollondilly AC
Tom ANGEL, Wollondilly AC

Shadows
M. ELESAWAY, THGS
J. HAZELHURST, NAC
J. TOOFOHE, HCS
W. BENNETT, SPCC N
B. EVERINGHAM, RH
E. JENKINS, TIGS
D. HINES, CAS
S. BEGBIE, SCAS
P. BONNARENS, PHCS
A. PRYDE, TIGS

Congratulations to all those boys selected. Stay fit, work hard, and listen to your coaches. If you don't, there is an eager beaver in the shadow team only too willing to take your spot.

AICES 16yrs Rugby Dates
TBA , AICES Rugby Training @ Hills Grammar School from TBA

Sunday 1st June, Game vs CHS Blue @ TBA from 11.00am

Sunday 15th June
Game vs CCC @ Pittwater Park from 11.00am
Game vs Country @ Pittwater Park from 11.30am

Sat/Sun 21st & 22nd June
NSW Championships @ Knox Grammar from TBA

Additional News from AICES (they don't get too much coverage on G&GR)
AICES Rugby Cup
Date - Wednesday 21st May 2014
Venue - The Hills Grammar School
Nominations - closed on Tuesday 6th May.
Opens and 15 yrs (age turned this year) will be played. All games will be full rugby - 15 players.

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
^^^^
Nice to see some country kids in the squad. The loss of Country Schools is a potential tragedy if AICES cannot get things happening. From what I have seen of them in recent years, the nicest thing you could say is that tackling was not part of the their game plan!!
Maybe to accommodate the loss of country CHS could go back to the days of three teams.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
In the earlier games today
Main Semis:
GPS 1s beat ISA 20-13
CAS beat CHS (can't remember the score)

Plate Semis:
Country beat GPS 2s 13-12
CCC beat AICES comfortably

Bowl Final - GPS 2s smashed AICES
Plate Final - CCC comfortably beat Country (after Country played most of the 2nd half with 14 men after a red card)
Cup Final - CHS 25 beat ISA 22 after being 15-22 down with 2 mins to go.

A lot of great games today.

S

sidelineview

CAS 18 def CHS 3

FINAL: CAS 22 def GPS 21
In the Final, I'm pretty sure GPS were ahead 14-5 at half time and looked to be comfortably on top. CAS put in a great 2nd half to come from behind to win. It was a very good game.
2nd half: 2 converted tries to one plus a penalty goal for CAS.

Halfback Tyzac Bailey from Waverley scored the first try for CAS in the second half. No 10 Matt Daintan from Alos scored the 2nd try under the posts and Leo Bosch from Knox converted to put CAS in front 22-21. Bosch kicked 1 penalty goal and 2 conversions. (I'm not sure what forward scored the try in the 1st half for CAS)

I don't have the scorers for GPS.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Some thoughs for the organisers of this carnival next year:
  • Sort out the line markings: a number of kick offs out on the full and kids just running cold into touch because of confusion between soccer lines and rugby lines with the rugby lines being in a colour that blended into the grass;
  • Proper touchies/ar's wired up. The breakdown and off sides were poorly policed with resultant problems for halfbacks and difficulty playing wide as well. Frankly, at this level the kids are too good to have young kids running the line who cannot report offside play in real time - particularly behind the refs.
Otherwise a well run comp.

S

sidelineview

Some thoughs for the organisers of this carnival next year:
  • Sort out the line markings: a number of kick offs out on the full and kids just running cold into touch because of confusion between soccer lines and rugby lines with the rugby lines being in a colour that blended into the grass;
  • Proper touchies/ar's wired up. The breakdown and off sides were poorly policed with resultant problems for halfbacks and difficulty playing wide as well. Frankly, at this level the kids are too good to have young kids running the line who cannot report offside play in real time - particularly behind the refs.
Otherwise a well run comp.

Agree on all 3 points, especially the field markings. Overall very well run.

nick b

Frank Row (1)
I just feel really quite sorry for some of the aices boys out there, it was a fairly rough trott for them. Their number 4 is quite a big lad (easily the biggest second row there) and a very skillful player. He was playing in a very poor team and did not get to show his true skill... but at the end of the day its up to the selectors to decide who makes the team. Just some food for thought

loosehead steve

Frank Row (1)
I just feel really quite sorry for some of the aices boys out there, it was a fairly rough trott for them. Their number 4 is quite a big lad (easily the biggest second row there) and a very skillful player. He was playing in a very poor team and did not get to show his true skill. but at the end of the day its up to the selectors to decide who makes the team. Just some food for thought

second rower #5 was the biggest second rower there

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fill in the blanks or change

1 CCC Will Grassby
2 ISA Jack Ongosia
3 ISA Edward Afu
4 ACIES Jack Donkin
5 CHS Shane Fuataga
8 CHS Karatiana Sa'u
9 GPS Tom Serhon
10 CHS Keiran Hayman
12 CCC Beni Valu
13 CAS James Armstrong
14 GPS Will Glascott
15 CHS Taulogo Lalaga

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
the ISA 7 I would have at 6 I don't think his work rate was high enough and he was hanging in the backs a lot, good ball runner though. 9 is difficult no real standouts, probably the CAS and GPS 9's. Maybe Luke Edwards GPS for backup 10. The CCC wing Beni Valu I think is normally a centre and plays well there, good at breaking the line and offloading. There were some lightning kids on the wings from GPS and CAS I didn't take a lot of notice, who does of wingers unless their surname is Lomu. I think CAS and GPS probably had the hardest working props and the Catholics had the hardest working loosie's.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)

1 CCC Will Grassby
2 ISA Jack Ongosia
3 ISA Edward Afu
4 ACIES Jack Donkin
5 CHS Shane Fuataga
8 CHS Karatiana Sa'u
9 GPS Tom Serhon
10 CHS Keiran Hayman
12 CCC Beni Valu
13 CAS James Armstrong
14 GPS Will Glascott
15 CHS Taulogo Lalaga

Fat Cat, Will Glascott will be tickled that you see him as a winger, he fancies himself as an undiscovered talent who is forced to play second row. HAHAHA. Maybe Will Terry?. You cant go by the GPS #s they are all over the place

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

1 CCC Will Grassby
2 ISA Jack Ongosia
3 ISA Edward Afu
4 ACIES Jack Donkin
5 CHS Shane Fuataga
8 CHS Karatiana Sa'u
9 GPS Tom Serhon
10 CHS Keiran Hayman
12 CCC Beni Valu
13 CAS James Armstrong
14 GPS Will Glascott
15 CHS Taulogo Lalaga

some tips to be in the mix.
CAS - Basson, Dainton, Morris, Armstrong, Bosch. plus the lock who won all the lineout ball.
GPS I - Todd, N.Brown, Wennerbom, Sheldon, Pirina, Terry, R.Miller
GPS II - Orpen
CCC - Valu, Manu, Sailor
CHS - Sa'u, half back, Hayman
ISA - Basha, Ongosia, halfback, Hopoate,

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If it is anything like previous years, and the word on the street is that there will be games involving NSW Country, Sydney Juniors, and NSW Schools selections, don't get too wrapped up in the selections for NSW Schools.

There is a fair bit of horse trading to be played out after the Sydney Juniors Regional Trials weekend before the final teams are selected.

With minor exceptions, the same pool of players are being picked over by selectors from two different organisations, both of which are keen to show that they are better selectors than the other mob.

Status
Not open for further replies.