• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW Schools Under 16 Championships - 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
NSW Schools 16s: Z. DeRoy, C. Prince, L. Ratcliff, J. Sidery (St. Augustine's College), M. Fenn, C. Rorke, C. Quinn (St. Ignatius' College), J. Brewer (Oakhill College), D. Harara (Merewether HS), N. Lawson, T. Taukama (Newington College), W. Grant (The Kings Schools), B. Smith, J. Styles (The Scots College), J. Quinn (St Josephs), J.Mitsias (Marcellin College), K. Devine (St Patricks), L. Edwards (Shore),R. Angus-Corke, D. Dowling, F. Gibson, (St Joseph’s College), H. Ward (St. Stanislaus' College) & T. Woodcock (Knox Grammar).

fortheloveofrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I tend to agree with you islandgal, favoritism or bias is alive , but it does happen in all sports at all levels.
In relation to the NSWAllSchools U 16s , i believe players selected reflect the majority of the best players 'known' at the carnival , but how does a player get selected that didn't play !! Was he injuried? Or just committed to league on that weekend?
Interesting that 3rd and 4th final position teams only managed 1 player each to gain selection, even though it was a tight well contested game. However, Presidents B team manages 2 (who only ran over AICES in the last 6 mins) and AICES (who held it to Presidents B team 15 - 7 as said until the last 6 mins) didn't get anyone in.
only 1 boy in the team , I believe from a government school. That is concerning, more than anything I believe. For further development of junior rugby,support and money need to be looked at, esp if a non GPS school, who have the programs and the money, unlike public schools.

Good luck to all those selected in SJRU team and CJRU team and ALL SCHOOLS team. Go and enjoy our great game.

islandgal

Bob McCowan (2)
Taukamo played inNSW B Open team......well good luck! Congrats Fiu Gibson, whose parents are paying full private fees @ Joeys. Am suprised the President XV I winger isnt in this fold!!

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
NSW Schools 16s: Z. DeRoy, C. Prince, L. Ratcliff, J. Sidery (St. Augustine's College), M. Fenn, C. Rorke, C. Quinn (St. Ignatius' College), J. Brewer (Oakhill College), D. Harara (Merewether HS), N. Lawson, T. Taukama (Newington College), W. Grant (The Kings Schools), B. Smith, J. Styles (The Scots College), J. Quinn (St Josephs), J.Mitsias (Marcellin College), K. Devine (St Patricks), L. Edwards (Shore),R. Angus-Corke, D. Dowling, F. Gibson, (St Joseph’s College), H. Ward (St. Stanislaus' College) & T. Woodcock (Knox Grammar).

Anyone one able to give the break up. I.e school association etc.

Parentsplease

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone keen to the maths on ratios per school association for the sydney 15 nsw 16 nsw 18 ??? Finally stop the argument of this association has done nothing against the other. Etc.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
Taukamo played inNSW B Open team..well good luck! Congrats Fiu Gibson, whose parents are paying full private fees @ Joeys. Am suprised the President XV I winger isnt in this fold!!
He has come a long way. I coach Fiu at 11 in the Sydney west pass rugby team. Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I

I think for next year, NSW Schools Rugby should seriously consider naming 2 teams, particularly to give more of these country boys and those from non-rugby playing schools a chance as NSW schools (Under 16) tends to be dominated by Sydney kids these days (most of whom are also eligible for both SJRU teams as well). After all, this U16's pathway is a developmental one and i think it would be beneficial to everyone that more kids get a chance to play at this top level and continue to grow.
funny you should mention it.
That's what the ARU told SJRU: scrap the Sydney u16 and pick 2 NSW school sides- just like u18s.
But the power brokers at SJRU saw this as the thin end of the wedg and refused.
So the ARU pulled the pin on the national 16s tournament and SJRU invented the invitational tournament played on Xmas eve - near enough.

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Well done Kyle Devine - made the U15s Syd team and the U16s NSW Schools in the same week. Suspect not many have achieved that previously.

Rachet_84

Ward Prentice (10)
Youse are kidding if you think there is not a single kid worthy enough in either CHS or CCC team to be included in NSW team.

From what I saw the two teams (due to geographics - ie kids selected from all over NSW and did not train together) but turned up to games and played the way they did that says a lot about their talent.

Can someone tell me how Tyrone TAUKAMA gets selected ? He did not participate in the u16 selected trials, so he should not be selected ! Again the selectors making their own rules up to suit.

Before youse go off, yes I am well aware he played NSW u18 B team, and good on him as he participated in the opens trials but does not give him free passage into the u16 team. He should have been told to choose U16 or U18. Him playing up in 18's he took the position of an 18 yr old, now he comes back down and takes position from u16 player who actually played in selection trials.

How does Kobi NED not get selected, fullback from Presidents, scored how many tries!! The kid has been robbed.

Can someone in the know list the selectors and what school they from ??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Youse are kidding if you think there is not a single kid worthy enough in either CHS or CCC team to be included in NSW team.
<snip>
Is Merewether HS not in the CHS system?

Did the chap from Marcellin College not make the CCC team?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

From what I saw the two teams (due to geographics - ie kids selected from all over NSW and did not train together) but turned up to games and played the way they did that says a lot about their talent.

Can someone tell me how Tyrone TAUKAMA gets selected ? He did not participate in the u16 selected trials, so he should not be selected ! Again the selectors making their own rules up to suit.

Before youse go off, yes I am well aware he played NSW u18 B team, and good on him as he participated in the opens trials but does not give him free passage into the u16 team. He should have been told to choose U16 or U18. Him playing up in 18's he took the position of an 18 yr old, now he comes back down and takes position from u16 player who actually played in selection trials.

How does Kobi NED not get selected, fullback from Presidents, scored how many tries!! The kid has been robbed.

Happens every year.
And there'll be injuries and so forth between now and when they play and kids will be parachuted in from nowhere - maybe like last year there'll be one who wasn't even sent to trial for his schools systems 2 teams and who made only the B of that team this year but who had a connection to the coach.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)

In all fairness towards Tryone, the U16s tournament was held in June and the U18s in the July school holidays. If he was chosen to play in NSW B (U18s) why risk injury playing at the U16s tournament?
Because of his age he qualifies for U16s and so was chosen for the Schools team. Last year Goddard and Lough played at both as U16s. Every year there is one or two that qualify.
I guess it doesn't seem fair but that's the way it is.

Also regarding Tyrone he is a bigger boy and I know there has been a few snide comments in the past about his birth date. I know his birth date and will not reveal it except to say it is in the first quarter of the calendar year - like so many boys in the NSW U16s and U18s teams. Numerous studies have proven that athletes born in the first quarter of the calendar year are biologically advantaged. This is particularly relevant in rugby where size counts - a lot.

fortheloveofrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
I do beljeve that the NSWALLSCHOOLS OPENS was held on the Friday before the U/16's carnival and played on the same ground at Knox.
So Tyrone could have played in the 16's carnival. Yes he is a talented player and has always been a lot bigger than most but he has been since primary school days and played in age appropriate teams then. Nothing against the boy, but must agree with Rachet_84.
anyway have seen SJRU have named a second U/16's team calling it a development team. Good on them, giving some more boys exposure. Maybe with the standard and /or numbers of boys that played at the All Schools U /16's carnival, selectors could have done the same. The more opportunities, exposure and development for the boys surely the best for rugby future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Also regarding Tyrone he is a bigger boy and I know there has been a few snide comments in the past about his birth date. I know his birth date and will not reveal it except to say it is in the first quarter of the calendar year - like so many boys in the NSW U16s and U18s teams. Numerous studies have proven that athletes born in the first quarter of the calendar year are biologically advantaged. This is particularly relevant in rugby where size counts - a lot.

Malcolm Gladwell in Outliers sets it all out.
I think the question is why the boy is being picked on the wing: the best rugby Ive seen him play is at No 8.

Langers

Bob McCowan (2)
By School and Association (I hope I have this right :) ). Sorry for the formatting.

NSW SCHOOLS U16'S 2015

CCC (1)
Marcellin College (1)
J. Mitsias

CHS (1)
Merewether HS (1)
D. Harara

CAS (1)
Knox Grammar (1)
T. Woodcock

ISA (7)
St. Augustine's College (4)
Z. DeRoy
C. Prince
J. Sidery
L. Ratcliff

Oakhill College (1)
J. Brewer

St Patricks (1)
K. Devine

St. Stanislaus' College (1)
H. Ward

AAGPS (13)
St Joseph’s College (4)
J. Quinn
R. Angus-Corke
D. Dowling
F. Gibson

St. Ignatius' College (3)
M. Fenn AAGPS
C. Rorke AAGPS
C. Quinn AAGPS

The Scots College (2)
B. Smith
J. Styles

Newington College (2)
T. Taukama
N. Lawson

The King's School (1)
W. Grant

Shore (1)
L. Edwards

theman123

Peter Burge (5)
I do beljeve that the NSWALLSCHOOLS OPENS was held on the Friday before the U/16's carnival and played on the same ground at Knox.
So Tyrone could have played in the 16's carnival. Yes he is a talented player and has always been a lot bigger than most but he has been since primary school days and played in age appropriate teams then. Nothing against the boy, but must agree with Rachet_84.
anyway have seen SJRU have named a second U/16's team calling it a development team. Good on them, giving some more boys exposure. Maybe with the standard and /or numbers of boys that played at the All Schools U /16's carnival, selectors could have done the same. The more opportunities, exposure and development for the boys surely the best for rugby future.

I think with Tyrone case may be the ARU or nsw didn't allow him to play,if he didnt make the open they may ask him to trial,last year two boys made the open and automatic pick for the 16s nsw due to there eligible age.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think with Tyrone case may be the ARU or nsw didn't allow him to play,if he didnt make the open they may ask him to trial,last year two boys made the open and automatic pick for the 16s nsw due to there eligible age.

and a couple of kids played in both the opens reps and the U16s reps last year

Huly

Chris McKivat (8)
Michael FENN (Riverview) also played in the Australian Schools Champs for Combined States.

Tough gig for the Sydney and Country Juniors having to come up against this big bopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.