• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 - schools, NSWJRU / SJRU / CRJU 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

number 6

Allen Oxlade (6)
None from the Knox country team seem to have been selected
There are I believe a couple from CCC and three or four from CHS in the country team.
Bradford Loose head from hunter was playing CHS opens 2nds made the NSW team
Strong teams all round. Two CCC boys named in the country side: Baker (half) and Stewart (hooker) will impress a lot of people. Also a fan of Gittoes in the schools side: tough lock/8 who has the size to match his aggression.

Rugby Mum

Watty Friend (18)
Interested to know if this is the same Country team that played at Knox? If so, it was not strong against the other associations let alone super teams. Does anyone know? Poor guys - most of key players have "moved on" to greener and more lucrative pastures.

The Country Team that played at Know is the NSW Country Schools side, a side from the country schools areas,where as the Country Team for Nationals are selected in April after playing in the Country Championships. Very different teams with not much overlap.

bossmaster

Frank Row (1)
If you knew anything about the 16s age group, you would be in a better position to comment.

In the 16s, the MWZ and MSZ were true rep teams, the MNZ/Barbarians were effectively half/3/4 strength so I don't see how that is fair to the MNZ boys who won it last year (no Barbarians in 2012) just so there is a softer team for MWZ to feel good about themselves? The MWZ team would not have won any games if it was split into two teams. It did however play good footy but against weakened opposition.

All teams have a swag of really good players and depending on positions played, it should be those boys who are selected.

Then of course you throw in NSW Schools to the mix which doubles the politics and horse trading and also applies to a lot of boys who played in last weeks School trials.
dear rugby mum 2 , mutley is right thats how the teams are selected.mwz dominated and won im sure they feel fine.the regionals are the next level and it doesnt matter if you won the state champs or you play really good on wednesdays , its a rep carnival and you are judged on that. except if your a mwz player, 5 in squad , nothing really changes

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
dear rugby mum 2 , mutley is right thats how the teams are selected.mwz dominated and won im sure they feel fine.the regionals are the next level and it doesnt matter if you won the state champs or you play really good on wednesdays , its a rep carnival and you are judged on that. except if your a mwz player, 5 in squad , nothing really changes
I am with you all the way
now you just have to highlight which clubs the SJRU committee members are from and where the selectors and head coach are from and the allegiances will be all to plain

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
I am with you all the way
now you just have to highlight which clubs the SJRU committee members are from and where the selectors and head coach are from and the allegiances will be all to plain

The MWZ team deserved to have got a few more selected. One would hope that the selectors are able to make the an informed and accurate assessment of playing ability and select the best available squad free of any prejudice or bias. Is this the case? Surely the selector wants the best performing team he can get.

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Theyre picking players not teams
Ally the selectors are looking for the best team
If they are picking players then more than 5 west players should have been picked. How could the tall blonde forwarding not get picked. I was trying to reconcile that the selectors are looking to put the best team together and therefore have made selections that suit the team.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If they are picking players then more than 5 west players should have been picked. How could the tall blonde forwarding not get picked. I was trying to reconcile that the selectors are looking to put the best team together and therefore have made selections that suit the team.

I know little of this age group - I only saw the schools side of it.
My point is that the constant comparison of team results is focussing on an aspect that is not the criteria by which any team ever is selected - unless you just take the winning team (as the used to in u14).

Colin Windon

Herbert Moran (7)
I saw the tall blonde forward (King I think, can Gooner confirm?) as well. He dominated and will make it eventually and I too was surprised he didn't make it to the next level. Congratulations to all selected and for those not, work hard and enjoy the rest of the season.

aka_the_think

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, I am quite sure they haven't, but Henry Hutchinson, who is 16 but plays Opens footy at View (used to play club for Gordon) was selected for the Australian schoolboys side. This is a truly remarkable effort, being just 16, he is well on his way to even higher honours.
However I guess this just adds more fuel to the debate as to whether or not he should be allowed to play in the under 16's championship.

Perhaps it is unnecessary to say in this comment, but my view is that both he, and Kennewell (sorry if spelt wrong) are more than entitled to play. I understand the argument that they have already achieved even higher representative honours, and they are taking a place in the pathway of another boy who doesn't have exposure to this level of playing etc, but I think that if one is willing to use this argument then they need to stand by it, in principle, when it is logically extended to the conclusion that no one who has already played Australian schoolboys should be entitled to play the year after (or the year after that if they are particularly talented) as they have already received the exposure necessary, and thus we can better utilise the campaign to promote new guys to the side who will benefit more than the players in question.

For me, that just doesn't stack up. In fact even more pertinently couldn't one argue that guys like Tepai Morea and Taane Milne, both fantastic rugby players worthy of selection in the Australian schoolboys side, shouldn't be selected as they are (heavily) involved in league, perhaps to the point of a contract (I am not too sure on the details)? Because since these guys are presumably lost to league should we simply not pick them because there are guys more likely to, or perhaps already, committed to union? Would not these guaranteed talents benefit more from the exposure than those inevitably lost to league? Once again the argument fails to stack up simply because there are games to be won. As much as these channels are pathways to success, they are also very important competitive affairs, and I would hate to think that we were losing to New Zealand at an international level (or perhaps more locally that the NSW under 16's were losing to Queensland) for arbitrary reasons like this, when there exists the talent to defeat them.

I apologise for ranting, but congratulations again to Hutchinson.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Occasionally in the past the NSW Schools Team has played a trial against Sydney Juniors. As they are always on the opposite sides of the draw at Nationals, they seldom meet at full strength to settle the argument of which team is better.

Anyone know if there will be a trial between the two teams in the lead up to Nationals?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any "adjustments" to the teams lists due to injuries?

Updates on how the respective team preparations are going for Nationals?

Top Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any "adjustments" to the teams lists due to injuries?

Well my one son has just been called up for NSW Country, although there and many that say he should of been in years ago :( . Son No.2 who was called up last year is now fit to play but we are holding him back for next season

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Thanks Top Cat. I do know last night was an emotional night for many on several levels, and given the after midnight post, you may have been tired and emotional.
Unfortunately I don't know who you are or your sons. would it be possible to identify the new player and his position. You are in a much better place to keep us informed and cross referencing old posts and programs can be a little time consuming and inaccurate.
I realise posters do not have to reveal themselves but the pixilations have already slipped significantly

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SJR U16 play ACT in Canberra on the 15th Sep. Training now weekly until Chapionship.

If this game v ACT is next week then it would appear that there will not be enough time to have a Schools v Juniors trial match to resolve bragging rights.

We may have to wait until the Gold Medal Match on the Friday to resolve this, when the Juniors will play the Schools, just like the NSW I v NSW II final int he opens this year.:)

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If this game v ACT is next week then it would appear that there will not be enough time to have a Schools v Juniors trial match to resolve bragging rights.

We may have to wait until the Gold Medal Match on the Friday to resolve this, when the Juniors will play the Schools, just like the NSW I v NSW II final int he opens this year.:)
Slow down HJ you did this last year and spooked the Sydney team into totally under performing which surprised all of us. The Sydney team is all class and it will good to see them this weekend up against ACT.
To start the debate on schools how does this backline shape up, Hutch has pulled out
9 Oxley
10 Mcgregor
11 Porter
12 Lough
13 Kennewell
14 Richards
15 Piroddi
Goddard and Maddox to slot into 9 and 10

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do you know if the NSW Schools U16's are having any trial matches?

How are the Country boys shaping up?

I agree that Sydney looked pretty sharp at the game vs Country at Forshaw the other day.

They have potential to go all the way and I really can't see a major difference between the potential of the Schools or Sydney Juniors.

Should be a bloody good tournament for these boys, and spectators.

Status
Not open for further replies.