• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cheers CTPE ! Bad move ARU if true

If it's true I suppose the players for both the teams will probably come from the ARU's NSW Junior Gold Squad (NTS) rather than from the tradional selection process that has been undertaken in the past to select the Schools team, and the Sydney and Country teams. I think that there's about 50-55 players in their current U16 squad for them to choose from.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
I reckon you are right there. Which will guarantee a) the U16 Champs will be won by a Queensland team, b) junior club rugby in NSW will decline in quality significantly. If that seems fanciful, how many of last years SJRU National Championship wining side are in the NTS ?

Additionally, surely the SJRU, Schools, and Country people are in a much better position over a period of time to effectively judge who has it and who doesn't.

I've heard from a reasonable source that the powers that be want the school system to be the only way that kids can come through. If true, goodbye rugby, hello Aussie rules, for the majority of kids.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
From today's SMH:

"The ARU has, meanwhile, decided to allow NSW to field a Sydney Juniors, NSW Schools and Country Juniors team at this year's under-16 championships in September.

Despite the NSW Rugby Union last year signing off on a deal around the championship which would have had these three teams revert to NSW representative sides, NSW has now decided not to support the new format that was devised by the ARU. While the ARU could have forced the issue, and resolved that only state-based representatives teams could play in the championship, it has been decided after months of discussions to stick with the original format.

However the ARU will continue to attempt to initiate change, believing fielding three NSW representative teams is a far more productive option.

David Nucifora, the head of the ARU high performance unit and a Wallabies selector, said last night that ''it was disappointing we did not get the support of a number of NSW affiliates and the NSWRU on this issue''.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
From today's SMH:

"The ARU has, meanwhile, decided to allow NSW to field a Sydney Juniors, NSW Schools and Country Juniors team at this year's under-16 championships in September.

Despite the NSW Rugby Union last year signing off on a deal around the championship which would have had these three teams revert to NSW representative sides, NSW has now decided not to support the new format that was devised by the ARU. While the ARU could have forced the issue, and resolved that only state-based representatives teams could play in the championship, it has been decided after months of discussions to stick with the original format.

However the ARU will continue to attempt to initiate change, believing fielding three NSW representative teams is a far more productive option.

David Nucifora, the head of the ARU high performance unit and a Wallabies selector, said last night that ''it was disappointing we did not get the support of a number of NSW affiliates and the NSWRU on this issue''.

Shows the mindset of the ARFU management towards grassroots rugby...

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
There already is effectively NSW 1, 2 and 3. Historically it has transpired that Schools is 1, SJRU is 2 and Country is 3. It's not so much what the teams are, it's who picks them and how much they actually know about the players. NSW has three very distinct pathways for kids Under 16. The schools, the city clubs and the country clubs. This system gives kids from all walks of life, and all regions the opportunity to compete at the highest level available to them. Each pathway has it's own methods of selection and qualifying criteria. And, they are selected on ability (by and large). If it was left up to one group of selectors to choose a 1,2,3, a large number of City and Country kids in particular would lose out on factors other than ability. The fact of the matter is it's only the SJRU and Country selectors out there watching club rugby, which is still thriving in NSW. It ain't broke, so why fix it ? And unlike, say, the NTS/JGS (don't wish to get off topic), it's based on how they are performing now, not how they might be in a few years time.

T

the berries

Sorry Guys, But what under 16 selections took place at Parrie Wood High recently. I think they had something to do with an Under 16 CHS side selection process organised by by the ARU. Can anyone supply more info ? Cheers

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Sorry Guys, But what under 16 selections took place at Parrie Wood High recently. I think they had something to do with an Under 16 CHS side selection process organised by by the ARU. Can anyone supply more info ? Cheers

In years gone past CHS did not have an official U16 side. The side to play in the Schools championship is generally selected from the Opens Carnival (which is on this week at UWS Hawkesbury) and is an invitational side with no official CHS standing

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There already is effectively NSW 1, 2 and 3. Historically it has transpired that Schools is 1, SJRU is 2 and Country is 3.

Wasn't it agreed in the past NSW Schools and Sydney Juniors take turn about on an annual basis selecting a player they may both have their eye on? But country boys who board at Sydney schools can only be selected in the Schools team.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Yes, I believe that is the case. I also believe that Schools had first pick last year. Not sure if country boys who don't make the schools side can revert back to country. I'm pretty sure none of this year's crop of country boys are not playing club rugby in Sydney, so will not be available for SJRU.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yes, I believe that is the case. I also believe that Schools had first pick last year. Not sure if country boys who don't make the schools side can revert back to country. I'm pretty sure none of this year's crop of country boys are not playing club rugby in Sydney, so will not be available for SJRU.

The Country side is selected after the relevant State Regional Championship (last two years). The sides that compete in this Championship are made up of players who have been selected in a Country Regional team (2 sides) after the U16 Country Championship.

In the past Country players can either make schools or Country. The schools pathway can be taken where the player makes the relevant school association side (CHS, CCC, AICES or Country Schools), plays in the Schools Trials and is selected from there. The Country pathway can be taken where the player plays in a Country Championship, is selected in one of the regional teams, plays in the State Regional Carnival and is eventually selected in Country.

In 2009 Rhys Dombkins played the Schools Championship for CHS and the regional championship for Country North. He was originally selected in the NSW Country side but was selected for the NSW Schools side as well. As Schools had priority over Country he was withdrawn from Country and played for Schools at the National Championship

In the past two years all NSW sides are selected and announced on the last day of the state regional carnival

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the SJRU can still pick kids who played village last year? ties to the community etc etc

Yes, they only have to have played 4 village games in either the current year, the previous year or combined, to qualify for State Champs and beyond. I thought this was more to do with the extra school commitments that boys have at this age than ties to the community, particularly as (if I understand the rules correctly, in reference to the requirement for the player to have played for an SJRU affiliated village club) a boy not playing club rugby this season, due to school commitments, who played for Manly last year could (god forbid !) play for Warringah, or (if he has come out of the closet) Gordon.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm sick after reading that 1st ARU article. We had this same debarkle recently with the womens rugby. NSW Country womens side was told to disband and join with Sydney to form a NSW side. The response from Sydney players was "excellent lets do this" & the response from country was "go shove it up your a$%e we want to play for our region". The sydney players couldnt understand and its obvious for the U16s as well for the women that people like Nuciforia and the ARU dont have a bloody clue what they are on about.

I

International Badboy

thoughts on NSW 16s Flyhalf, i believe the gps battle at the moment is between young Deegan and Jones (Kings 16A) before anyone says Deegan is better due to the fact he is in Joeys 1s remember Kings have a 16s policy, any thoughts plus other names to watch

B

baldingwingforward

thoughts on NSW 16s Flyhalf, i believe the gps battle at the moment is between young Deegan and Jones (Kings 16A) before anyone says Deegan is better due to the fact he is in Joeys 1s remember Kings have a 16s policy, any thoughts plus other names to watch

Redden - playing on the wing for Views 1s is better than both of the above. He can play anywhere in the backline but his best position is probably 10 or 12.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)

Lussick from New (playing half back for New 1s), Feehan from View and should be in the mix also from GPS. That's before you look outside, so plenty to choose from for NSW.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I would say Deegan would be ahead although Trinity and St Pats both have very good 5/8's who are in with a chance. And though i havnt seen many of the other 16's halfbacks i would say young Curtain from Joeys would be a clear favourite for that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.