• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

International Badboy

who for who against what was the score etc ??? 1st IV ???

M

magpie4ever

JGS Squad 2011

Here is the JGS merit team:

1 Lucas James Bateman
2 SATIU FAAOPE JUNIOR
3 Matairavula Jarrod
4 Orr Cameron
5 Talamaivao Benjamin
6 McCalman Jack
7 Monu Maumau Bruce
8 Puafisi Paea
9 Hogan Scott
10 Clark Jamieson (JAMO)
11 Williams Jonas
12 Molisie Hans
13 Poaru Raui
14 Katieli Keanu
15 Roberts Jacob
16 Afele Malaki
17 Rodgers Arne
18 Brown Nick
19 Baker Isaiah
20 Biilmann Todd
21 Collins Bradley
22 Fa'avae-Eli Jaydon
23 Whicker Brent

The only two players you guys have mentioned are Jamo Clarke and Brent Whicker (who made it as the reserve half-back)

Have the ARU & selectors got it so wrong? I know it was west sydney based but I 'm sure there were players from Eastwood & Kings who tried out.

I might be biased as my young bloke is in the selected merit team; yeah he is a leaguie but keen on rugby from a school rep team.

It is my belief that unless the ARU & state unions move away from a majority of selections from prestigous private schools, we (Wallabies) will never be a match for the 'all blacks' on a consistent basis; yeah every now and again but not every year. Isn't this the basis of the merit team (spread the word, increase the player base at this vital age). Could be wrong

As for Tepai Moerea, I have seen this young bloke play league, bloody fantastic player but surely he's a backrower or centre; too damaging to play at the back.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think you'll find that Jarrod Matairavula and Lucas Bateman from this list have also been mentioned in this thread in addition to Clarke and Whicker.

As I understand it this U16 merit team was selected from about 120 or so boys who were chosen to paticipate in the ARU's Junior Gold Regional Talent Centre Program that was conducted in the off season and culminated in games being played between the 5 Western Sydney Talent Centres. The ARU has obviously cast a very wide grassroots net in unearthing talent in Western Sydney and deserve credit for undertaking this program.

I think you'll find that many of these boys have already played rep for Parra, Eastwood and West Harbour and many of them will more than likely be members of the MWZ team that will play against the MNZ and MSZ teams to decide the Sydney U16 team that will go to the National Championships. So all of the boys in this Merit team who play club and rep rugby have a chance of making that Sydney side if they're good enough.

For those that don't play club rugby but play rugby for an affiliated school whether CHS, GPS, CAS, ISA, CCC or ACIES they'll have a chance to go to the Nationals as part of the NSW Schools U16 team. Admitedly the NSW schools teams in the past have been heavily weighted with CAS or GPS players but that's just an indication of the relative strength of the code in these schools and the resources devoted to the game there compared to the other schools.

The bottom line is that if the boys are good enough and dedicated enough there are avenues for them to play higher level rep rugby. Also too as the ARU has identified the boys in this Merit team they'll be on their radar for future selections in the state Junior Gold Squad if their performances merit it.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
what about last years NSW Captain and #7 for joeys 1st XV Pennisi? also Joeys Prop Sandell from NSW team also

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
what about last years NSW Captain and #7 for joeys 1st XV Pennisi? also Joeys Prop Sandell from NSW team also

Agree about Pennisi.. a very good player. Is Sandell new to the school or did he play 15As last year? If he's Joeys tight head from last years 15As he's also the goods.

connor95

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree about Pennisi.. a very good player. Is Sandell new to the school or did he play 15As last year? If he's Joeys tight head from last years 15As he's also the goods.

Sandell missed rugby season at the college last season, and came in term 4, but before he started out at joeys he played most representative teams possible for his age even in primary, also my sources tell me that Jamo Clarke has nothing on the much talked about Deegan and that Deegan is a much better player. I can assure this isnt a biased opinion as this comes from a person who has seen both #10's play

I

International Badboy

Sandell missed rugby season at the college last season, and came in term 4, but before he started out at joeys he played most representative teams possible for his age even in primary, also my sources tell me that Jamo Clarke has nothing on the much talked about Deegan and that Deegan is a much better player. I can assure this isnt a biased opinion as this comes from a person who has seen both #10's play

disagree completely Clarke has an allround game capable os NSW selection, no last years Joeys props were Ethan Matthews and Ian Chan not sure which one was tight head

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
The big difficulty for U16s Schools selectors at the moment is that so many GPS and CAS schools are playing their U16s players in Opens rugby. Some of them get overawed by it all and don't perform as they can against their own age group whilst others find the physicality of Opens rugby just too much for them at this time. That said if you're U16 and can stand out in Open's rugby you deseve to get the opportunity of School's representation.

From what I'm told and have read from other posts only Scots and Kings are playing all their U16 boys at U16's level (not sure about Kellaway at Scots?) and hence both their 16As are undefeated in trials to date. As they clash at on Saturday at Bellevue Hill in the first round of the GPS I'm sure there'll be plenty of GPS, Schools and Sydney selectors present to check out potential candidates for these representative teams.

I

International Badboy

CTPE can i please have a full kings 16As team least ?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
disagree completely Clarke has an allround game capable os NSW selection, no last years Joeys props were Ethan Matthews and Ian Chan not sure which one was tight head

Agree about Jamo Clarke... very, very talented and seems to have all the time in the world.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE can i please have a full kings 16As team least ?

This is just a guess as I only know of the Kings boys through their involvement in rep footy and ARU squads. From previous posts here and on other threads I think QuadeCooperFan would have a more accurate idea than me and would be able to add to or correct any of these:

1. Lucas Bateman (Eastwood/ARU 16 Merit team)
2. ?
3. ?
4. Matt Matson (Parra/Sydney/NSW/ARU JGS)
5. ? Greentree (Eastwood/MWZ)
6. ? Black (Eastwood/MWZ)
7. Jack Macalman (Eastwood/ARU U16 merit team/ARU JGS)
8. Ben Stacy (ARU JGS)
9. Rory Davis (NSW/ARU JGS)
10. Corey Tulloch (NSW Country/ARU JGS)
11. ??
12. Sam Carter (NSW/ARU JGS)
13. ??
14.??
15. Harry Jones (Warringah/ARU JGS)

Q

QuadeCooperFan

2. Nick Reid
3. Eddie Jin
5. Jamie Greentree
6. Rob Black
11. Nathan Kumar
13. Tom Bucknell
14. Leslie Parwada

these boys plus the ones you mentioned i think are their full strength team.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
NSW Schools U16s trials are on 24 & 25 June (ie CAS v CHS v GPS etc). Team gets picked shortly after that.
This is unfortunate as it means Pat Curtain of Joeys will not be able to trial as he is still injured then and i believe from watching a few of the number 9's around he would easily make GPS. Also i can inform you Scotts have had a change of heart on the policy of 16's not playing open's (probably after there poor trial form) and Kellaway is now playing 1st XV

I

International Badboy

Shame, but what about lussick as a half back

thanks Quade

Status
Not open for further replies.