• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beaver

Newbie quote "2011 has become farcical IMO! Too many cooks in the kitchen for my liking!" Totally agree with this one.
Yesterday some boys didn't even take the field or only received 5 to 10 minutes playing time. How does that rate in the fair department - NOT.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
As a novice to all of these rep team, I am totally confused. How can a NSWJRU team be picked when not all of the NSW rep teams have even had s run? Does this mean that the team was in fact picked at the regional's some time ago and that the game yesterday has nothing more than a training run for the nationals?

I think that it should be made clear what everyone is playing for. How can the boys do anything along the lines of goal setting if the goals are completely blurry.

Maybe it is just me and my lack of experience with Australian rugby, but reading everyone else, I think not.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
I ventured down south yesterday to the annual city v country clash to observe the next generation feeling positive of a good days rugby. only to leave disappointed again at the amateurish administration of the game in this state.

The first person I spoke with (a country parent I played with a long time ago) advised me that country rugby were asking for a volunteer to be a selector on the day and he had turned down the offer. I watched part of the 15's game and both teams had a go but city was dominant and ran away with the win. The 16's then took the field and produced a truly entertaining game. City were the better team early while the big bodies were still fresh but as the game progressed the country boys were full of running and finished all over their opponents to force a draw. Players who stoodout imo were the city 8 & 15 and country 14, 4 & 15.

At the presentation of the shared trophy it was announced that the team would be delivered at half time of the 17's game and unlike the proud statement prior to the 15's announcement (that you couldn't be selected unless you had played on the field that day) a rider was attached that 5 other players were to be considered who had been selected for NSW Schools. As alluded to here in other posts this does nothing but cause angst for players and parents who think they are representing their "pathway" only to realise that others are going to be afforded a double bite of the cherry.

Still, I was interested to hear who had been rewarded for performance and settled into the 17's encounter. Unlike the previous game this was a one sided affair with city scoring 3 converted tries to effectively wrap up the game after 20 mins. This was even more evident as country were making many interchanges from the bench to try and stem the bleeding. The rain came at this point and city continued to play an open game, which with the wet ball stalled the precision shown earlier. Country's efforts to kick for corners was countered by city's enthusiasm to run it back at them.

Half time and waiting for the 16's to be annouced to the crowd. No, you will have to leave your dry area and trapse up to the clubhouse for a private reading. On the performances I saw I would expect an even spread of representation of both unions but have so far been unable to locate an official version. Was it kept indoors to stop derision at the squad announced by those who put their heart into a trial only to be overlooked for someone at a training run for another team elsewhere. If someone can lead us to the actual team it would be appreciated.

The last indignations came at the end of the 17's game. Absolute confusion amongst players and spectators as to when and where the presentation was to take place but no official announcement. The 2nd half had continued the trend of the first and city had dominated in all positions (unlike the 16's) and scored 6 tries to 1 in a 36-7 win despite 45 mins of wet rugby. I spoke with a few country parents and they feared the worst as they knew their boys had been comprehensively outplayed. 2 or 3 players at best was a general consensus. Team announced and 8 country boys elated with 4-5 city boys wondering why they bothered. I feel very sorry for one young man who easily gave more in his performance than his opposition yet was overlooked.

I for one am tired of the politics and doubt that haunts this game at a junior level. Dominance accross the park in all individual positional battles but winners not rewarded. WHY? must there be a minimum number of players picked from each union or does the evil of the NTS cheer squad come into it. Schools is no better with the different associations protecting their investments. In this case it's the unions wanting even representation at the expense of individual playing performance. a short sighted view that does nothing to grow the game.

If you ask many of the kids who play both codes which game they prefer many will say rugby but they stay with league due to the surety of selection by the clubs and the pathways they provide, unlike the amateurish and half-witted efforts of the NSWJRU. I look forward to the obvious ommissions of the 16's when the list finds its way to an official site and contributors to this forum dissect it.

C

Casnovian

So for those of us who were at the last round of club games today, can someone please enlighten me with a result and any commentary on the Sydney V Country game today?

Full credit to Country - they played the full game with dogged determination. Showed a superior command and execution of the fundamentals and laws of the game than their city cousins. At one stage it looked like City had adopted the recent Australia Vs Samoa game as a role model - do a Rocky and watch! Country stole a mountain of ball through their tenacity and intensity (as displayed in the recent regionals) and being prepared to counter ruck and contest the ball at every opportunity. They were also aided by City kicking the ball directly to them - the Country back three figured that out a long time ago. Country ran the ball back most of the time and appeared to be the better field strategy at the end of the day. City had some flash and flair by individuals.

Back to the fundamentals is an area for some naval gazing for City - for them to be serious in the Nationals. As they say in the NSW JRU - post selection meetings - it is (indeed) another level!! You may be half way there with the skilled and the talented. You still need the ball to maximise opportunities.

A few minutes more - who knows. A tie and the sharing of the trophy for six months was a reasonable result. City to be fair did come home strong - just couldn't crack the line - which provided the excitement. Must acknowledge a number of city lads played full on games the day before. It has to have an effect on them.

Leicester Tiger

Herbert Moran (7)
As a parent of one of the 5 boys who i guess would be available for selection in both pathways as he has played in schools but also state and regional championships for the Barba's, I had no idea that there was another team being picked. Learn something new every day, very interesting. With the NSW schools team made up, I think, of 5 CHS, 1 CCC and the rest GPS, how do any of the schools eligible players make this NSWJRU team. Was there some kind of selection trade off between schools and sydney or does one get dibs over the other?

Regardless of all this stuff, I am still very much looking forward to the Schools v Sydney game, and bring on the nationals.

S

SmarterChild12

Any news on the NSWJRU Combined Team?? I heard of Syd 9. M.Short had a great game, his pass was hitting the chest every time of Clark. Also i think 13. J.Redden was selected, quality player, runs hard, kicks well and defence is outstanding.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
As a parent of one of the 5 boys who i guess would be available for selection in both pathways as he has played in schools but also state and regional championships for the Barba's, I had no idea that there was another team being picked. Learn something new every day, very interesting. With the NSW schools team made up, I think, of 5 CHS, 1 CCC and the rest GPS, how do any of the schools eligible players make this NSWJRU team. Was there some kind of selection trade off between schools and sydney or does one get dibs over the other?

Regardless of all this stuff, I am still very much looking forward to the Schools v Sydney game, and bring on the nationals.

I wish your son well in his endeavours. It is never the players who are at fault in these matters as they give their all to whatever team they find themselves in. Isn't it wonderfull to play under an administration where they seem to make the rules up as they go. Some boffin somewhere will find the appropriate clause within the constitution to justify it but it still smells.

It's the rank decisions where ability seems to give way to others needs that doesn't sit well. I know it happens as i've been close enough to witness it.

It is no different to saying to QLD that we know you're the best team and we know you have the best players but the ARU wants a couple of guys picked from the Rebels because we might play a test there next year. Ask yourself why is Elsom still captain? It's certainly not due to his playing form.

It was once described to me that QLD's approach to selections at this age is to start with a pool of 100 plus players all under the same banner, ABILITY. From there they train and play as squads of mixed associations before selection panels whose role is to simply rank the players on performance and attitude at training sessions which the selectors often attend. This is then used to produce the 2 squads that play at the nationals.

The obvious upside to this method is that a players performance is the over riding factor in selection as they compete in games where teams are of similar ability and lowers the hit and miss of one off trial games. The district, zone and country/city politics and influence is negated with the one focal point being to identify the best players to represent their state. This could also easily be applied to the schools selections.

Sorry to have hijacked the conversation but IMO there are too many people at too many levels with influence on selections not matched by their ability or who have other agendas to achieve. We all see it but little is done to change it at all levels because most of us only spend a few years here before moving onto youth and adult rugby where all that counts to any coach is who is the best player available to get him a win in the next game.

R

rugbygold

my opinion on strongest NSW backline

9. short
10. andrews
11.winterstein
12. moeroa
13. kellaway
14. redden
15. jones

any one not agree?

S

SmarterChild12

9. short
10. andrews
11.winterstein
12. moeroa
13. kellaway
14. redden
15. jones

any one not agree?

I like that al lot RG. However, you are going to get plenty of disagreements with, Clark, Tulloch, Deegan, Crafts and other names out.
personally, i think that is a quality backline, love to see it in action!

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)

9. short
10. andrews
11.winterstein
12. moeroa
13. kellaway
14. redden
15. jones

any one not agree?
Davis would be ahead of Short for the halfback position, and there could be any 1 of 4 5/8's who are all of about equal ability.

W

Wallaby Bob

Davis would be ahead of Short for the halfback position, and there could be any 1 of 4 5/8's who are all of about equal ability.

After yesterday I think that the overall game, including great accuracy of his passes, of the Country halfback (Acreman) was better than the Sydney halfback (Short). Maybe if Andrews plays 5/8 I would have Acreman at half. He made the squad so we will see what the coach thinks.

W

Wallaby Bob

So the boys form the bush have done it again. Just one more try at regionals and they would have come first there, and if just one of the missed conversions had of gone over they would have won today, but 22-22 is a true indication of the game, an exciting game played in great spirits that neither team deserved to lose!
Yet out of the game today with only 7 out of 24 players selected, less than 1/3 of the boys in the NSWJRU U/16 squad comes from the country team!
There are a a few boys from the country team that should be disappointed, to name a couple, the No. 2 (McNamara?) out muscled and outplayed his opposite all day and the No. 4 from country (Boyce?) was involved in everything, he was without a doubt the best Lock on the field today(in my opinion).
Other stand out performances for me were the 8(Afele), 11(Winterstein?) & 15(Jones) from City and 6(Hefren), 10(Andrews) and 14(Brown) from Country. Best on field would have been a toss up between Jones and Boyce.

While I don't pretend to be a selector and hats off to them they have a tough job to do, today i think, (and this is only MY opinion) they got it wrong.

Agree, who would be a selector in this situation?. If selection was based on yesterday's game Country should have more players in the NSW squad as they played a great game. It also came down to time on the paddock. What happened to Sydney's second hooker (Coffill?)? Did he get a run? Also the Country hooker 17 (McNamara) sparked the go-forward in the second half with a few good bursts when he came on. Country 4 second rower (Boyce) was also good around the field. Did Afele play a game before this one because he walked most of the game apart from a few powerful short runs. Has anyone found the full NSW team list yet?

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)

9. short
10. andrews
11.winterstein
12. moeroa
13. kellaway
14. redden
15. jones

any one not agree?

Yes i don't agree with your halfback selection, young Rory Davis and one B wicker are a mile in front, there is more to being an effective link between forwards and backs other than a good pass, which is all i saw. How about organising forward runners and being the 9th forward as the two i've just mentioned certainly do.

B

beaver

The bench players for Sydney - well they stayed on the bench and those who did get a run got about 10 minutes. WHY have bench players if you are not going to use them. How can you be selected if you don't get a run - Touch pause EXPLAIN.

Maybe for the coach it was about WINNING - not showing the selectors what talent is out there !! Wake up ARU.

bushpig

Frank Row (1)
Team is on the NSWJRU website under rep teams. While on the website read the club pathways for selection document which says that to be selected for the state squad you must play in City v Country clash and the team is picked on performance on that day only. Then laugh!

W

Wallaby Bob

Team is on the NSWJRU website under rep teams. While on the website read the club pathways for selection document which says that to be selected for the state squad you must play in City v Country clash and the team is picked on performance on that day only. Then laugh!

you are kidding? aren't you?

W

Wallaby Bob

NSW Juniors U16s

Name Club
Brenton Ackerman NSW Country
Malaki Afele Sydney
Nick Andrews NSW Country
Jamieson Clark Sydney
Adrien Delore NSW Country
Sam Heffren NSW Country
Harry Jones Sydney
Christian Kagiassis Sydney
Andrew Kellaway Sydney, Hunters Hill
Nicholas Koutsoukis Sydney